Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Harry had kept busy despite the lack of company. He had filled out all the forms Kingsley had sent him and would drop by to chat with Gaunt about his training on his first day. Harry still had a strange feeling about Gaunt, but he couldn’t quite place his finger on it. The name had a familiar ring to it, but after everything Harry had gone through, he was having trouble placing it.

Kreacher had, with much trepidation, allowed Harry to help prepare lunch and clean up the kitchen so it looked more hospitable. He had dressed casually, Muggle jeans and a Gryffindor t-shirt. Harry hadn’t given Ginny any sort of time to arrive, so he was surprised to see her arrive before noon. She was wearing Muggle jeans and a thin stripped jumper. She smiled at him and he embraced her warmly, but felt her stiffen as he touched her.

‘How is everything at home?’ He asked quietly, pulling more pieces of the lunch together. Kreacher had already set the table with a simple set of dishes and Harry had ushered Kreacher out of the kitchen once Ginny had arrived.

She stood watching him and replied, ‘Well, it was an interesting conversation with mum and dad about where you were and why you weren’t home.’

He turned and saw she was glaring at him. He grimaced and said, ‘I’m sorry about that…but I…well, you know.’

She nodded absently and continued, ‘And they let me visit George again. I actually went with Bill.’

She smiled at this. ‘I didn’t realise how much I missed having my older brothers around. Percy and Bill have been really…doting on me.’ She continued more slowly, ‘Bill was a great comfort when we went to see George.’

Harry nodded encouragingly. ‘Was there any change in how he’s doing?

Ginny didn’t meet his gaze at this, but looked at the floor for a few minutes. The silence was palpable and she said quietly, ‘No, none…he’s just…he’s like an empty shell.’

‘I’m so sorry to hear that, Ginny,’ he said to her genuinely. He could tell his words had little effect.

She gave him another hard look and said tersely, ‘Thanks. I’m sure he’ll be fine. The healers are optimistic that he’ll come out of this sooner rather than later.’ She looked forlornly at the lunch and said quietly, ‘He has to.’

Harry set the food on the table quietly and asked, ‘Have you heard from Ron or Hermione?’

She shook her head, surprised by the change in topic. ‘Nothing. I know mum got an owl from Ron saying they’d arrived there safely and was really nervous about spending time with Hermione’s parents. But I think, honestly, that this is good for both of them.’

‘Yeah, I mean, they won’t get to see each other most of the fall.’ He continued, ‘Especially considering you and Hermione will be off to school soon.’

She nodded and smiled. ‘I hate to say this, but I’m really looking forward to going back.’

He raised his eyebrows and she continued, ‘I mean, yeah, a lot of sad memories there, but it’ll be normal.’

‘I expect that it will,’ he replied. He gestured to the table and they sat down.

She ate quietly for a few minutes before saying, ‘So, honestly, did Kreacher do all of this?’

He laughed. ‘No! He helped me, but I did all the cooking myself.’

They continued eating in silence until Harry broke the silence, ‘Ginny, you have avoided talking about this with me for a while, what do you want to do for your birthday?’

She sighed. ‘Harry, that is the last thing in my mind right now.’

He tried not to look hurt, but was feeling that sickening sense of rejection coming back and ate slowly, not wishing to irritate her further. She had been through a lot and he knew he needed to be more cognisant of it. He looked at his plate thoughtfully but said nothing.

She must have sensed something and said, ‘It isn’t that I don’t want to do anything with you, but this has all been a bit bracing.’

He nodded. ‘I know, but it’s still important to celebrate. I kinda remember someone used the same argument on me a couple weeks ago.’

He grinned at her and she shook her head smiling. ‘It isn’t fair if you remember the things I say.’

He reached his hand out to hers and squeezed it. ‘I want to prove I’m paying attention.’

She smiled at him. ‘You don’t have to prove anything to me, Harry; I know you‘re paying attention.’

He didn’t want her to leave without making plans and said, ‘I’ll be starting work soon, so I really want to set some time aside for your birthday. How about a date? A real one this time.’

She sighed in a frustrated manner and replied, ‘You’re not going to let me off the hook, are you?’

He shook his head. ‘No, not a chance. Have your parents planned anything yet? We can plan around that.’

She shook her head with an air of sadness. ‘They haven’t mentioned it.’

‘Your birthday falls during the work week…’ He continued tentatively, ‘Do you think we can meet for a dinner date?’

She nodded absently. ‘Sure…but really, Harry, we’re both going to be so busy at that time. I don’t want this to conflict with your work. You want to make a good impression.’ She laughed. ‘Who am I kidding? They’re dying to have you there. I’m sure you’ll do brilliantly!’

He shot her a restrained smile. ‘Only about half of that sounded even remotely complimentary.’

She grinned back at him. ‘Don’t be silly, Harry. I meant it in a positive way.’

They spent the rest of lunch mostly in silence and Harry could feel the tension growing between them. He wanted to say something to ease the worry, but knew Ginny was overloaded with things on her mind as it was. He wanted to talk more about her birthday, but had a feeling that that wasn’t a topic he should broach again any time soon.

She sat up politely once she had finished eating and studied the table closely. He disrupted her concentration by getting up and bringing the dessert to the table; a Muggle sweet Kreacher had recommended. She looked at it warily and glanced at the clock.

‘Harry, I should really get going,’ she said quietly.

He set a plate in front of her, not taking a no for an answer and said, ‘I don’t think it’s that late. You’ve barely been here an hour!’

She didn’t smile. ‘I know, Harry. And I do want to spend time with you, more time with you,’ she corrected, ‘but there are so many things I feel like I need to do.’

He nodded and sat down next to her, placing a hand on her arm. ‘I can only imagine. Is there anything I can help you with? I can pick up your school stuff if you like?’

She shook her head, though Harry felt like she was on the verge of accepting, and said, ‘I couldn’t ask you to do that, Harry.’

He smiled and squeezed her arm again. ‘I wouldn’t have offered if I didn’t want to do it.’

She took a deep breath, keeping her eyes downcast and said, ‘Mum did mention setting time aside to get that, so it shouldn’t be an issue.’

Harry leaned closer to her and said, ‘Yeah, but I don’t mind and this’ll be one less thing you have to do or even worry about.’

She narrowed her eyes and replied, ‘I’ll think about it.’

He knew that was the best he could get from her and said, ‘I’ll send you an owl closer to your birthday and we can set aside a time.’

She nodded and stood up slowly. ‘This was really lovely, Harry. Thank you.’

He smiled at her and stood up as well. ‘Are you sure you have to go?’

He gave her a pleading look but she stepped towards the grate. ‘I think I should get going. I told Percy I’d be by the store.’

‘If you need company or help at all, I’ll be happy to…’ He looked at her forlornly. He could see her eyes were vacant and yet pre-occupied.

‘I’ll be fine, thanks just the same, Harry.’ She reached an arm out to him and he pulled her into his arms and hugged her tightly, kissing her on the cheek.

She didn’t kiss him back, and pulled away from him slowly. She threw Floo powder into the grate and disappeared in a burst of green flame. Kreacher meandered into the kitchen shortly after Ginny left and commented, ‘Mistress Ginevra seems troubled once again.’

Harry nodded, feeling utterly spent. ‘I know…how have you made out on her birthday gift?’

Kreacher smiled broadly. ‘I have asked the questions you needed answered, Master Harry, and have comprised this list for you.’

He set a piece of parchment on the table and bowed low. Harry smiled. ‘Thanks much, Kreacher. Even though she seemed pretty out of it today, I think she’ll really enjoy this.’

Harry yawned and stretched and Kreacher gave him a disapproving look. ‘Master Harry, you are still weak, you must rest.’

Harry nodded mutely and headed up the few flights of stairs with the list Kreacher had prepared. He wasn’t certain if he’d wake before dinner and changed into his bed clothes. Before falling off, he wrote a quick letter to Ron and gave it to Kreacher to send off. He wanted to make sure his friend would be there for training when he’d be there.

Harry sighed, wishing Ginny had stayed, but knew she wouldn’t disobey her parents, especially after how they’d been found not a day earlier. He gave the list Kreacher had provided him the once over, then marked it in a few places and knew he’d need to return it to Kreacher soon to make certain everything was ready.

As he felt himself falling fast asleep, he also realised he’d left his ointment at the Burrow. Though, on thinking about it, he realised, the only person he’d want applying it was also there.

Harry woke up early the next morning, realising quickly he had indeed not gotten up for dinner. Kreacher was waiting for him in the kitchen as he trundled into the room and had quickly prepared some tea and breakfast. Harry was happy to see a response from Ron with the same start date he had.

Kreacher advised Harry that if he was feeling better, he should get some new robes for his new position. He could not, according to Kreacher, be seen in the robes he wore for school.

Harry laughed, thinking that since the last time he had been at school he had grown a lot, both physically and emotionally, and would not fit in those robes anyway. He had been feeling better and knew a short trip to Diagon Alley would make him feel a tad useful.

He Apparated to Diagon Alley and headed towards Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions. He knew she’d have something for him. As he walked towards the shop he could feel eyes following his every move. He walked into the shop and was greeted quickly by Madam Malkin herself. She bustled around the counter and ushered Harry into the back room.

She had two assistants measure Harry and questioned him thoroughly about what he’d be wearing the robes for.

‘Work mostly; I don’t know what’s expected there really…’ he told her.

She nodded absently. ‘You’ll have to wear proper robes for that, not the ones you wore at school.’

He nodded and she continued, ‘Mr. Potter, I will have the robes ready in two-days’ time. We can send an owl to you letting you know that they are ready. Will that be convenient for you?’

‘Yes, thank you.’ He smiled at her and paid for his robes. He knew Kreacher would come straight here and collect his robes and he wouldn’t have to worry about them.

Once outside he couldn’t help but feel drawn to Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes. He knew there was a fleeting chance Ginny would be there and that was enough to force him to go. When he arrived he was surprised to see Percy standing behind the counter with a stack of papers in front of him. The darkness Harry had felt the last time he was there was gone and the store seemed bright once again.

He walked quietly to the front of the store and Percy looked up, hearing the footsteps. ‘Harry! What are you doing here?’

Harry waved in response. ‘I was in the area, I thought I’d stop through and see if…’

He trailed off and Percy smirked. ‘She isn’t here,’ Percy chuckled. ‘You two are really hopeless, you know that?’

Harry could feel himself turning red and replied, ‘I know…I just…’

Harry didn’t feel comfortable opening up to Percy and Percy didn’t seem overly interested. Percy put his quill down and said, ‘You know…I know we don’t know each other all that well, but you really shouldn’t have run off like that. Don’t blame yourself, Harry.’

Harry looked at Percy with a shocked expression. He started quietly, ‘No, we don’t, but we probably should get to know each other better.’

Percy crossed his arms and replied with a smile, ‘I’m not sure I can grasp what you’re implying.’

Harry returned the smile and said, ‘I was hoping it wouldn’t be too difficult to grasp.’

Percy chuckled. ‘When the time is right, for both you and Ginny, I’m sure I’ll be fine with it.’

Harry started to walk around the store as Percy cleared his throat. ‘Harry, I’m serious. Mum and dad didn’t want you to run off…though…what you and Ginny were doing is not what I’d call…appropriate for your age. For her age,’ he clarified.

Harry rolled his eyes and turned back to Percy. ‘We weren’t doing anything. We both were physically and emotionally spent. What’s wrong with falling asleep in the arms of someone you love?’

Percy crossed his arms again and gave Harry a hard look. ‘I can think of quite a few reasons that it isn’t appropriate, and if you don’t see it, then perhaps you staying in your own home would be best.’

Harry glared right back at Percy and said, ‘Well, then I guess we’re all where we need to be.’

They continued glaring at each other for some time and the door to the shop opened slowly. Harry tore his gaze from Percy, hoping it was Ginny, but was surprised to see Ron sauntering into the store. He greeted Harry warmly. ‘Harry! What are you doing here? Ginny told me you’d gone back to Grimmauld Place. How come?’

Harry smiled at his friend. ‘I just felt like I’d out-stayed my welcome. How’s Hermione doing?’

Ron grinned at the question and said, ‘Brilliantly. I mean, her parents are a bit rough on her, but they seemed to warm up to me.’ He stuffed his hands in his pockets and continued, ‘They didn’t entirely believe what we told them about last year, but the memory charms she used have gone completely, as far as I can tell.’

Harry shook his head at Ron’s exuberance and asked, ‘So she’s okay? Is she going to be around before she leaves?’

Ron shook his head sadly. ‘No. Her parents want her at home. So I…I mean…we are going to have to communicate via Patronus or owl.’

Harry nodded. ‘Do you mind if I send her an owl?’

Ron looked surprised at this and said, ‘You don’t need my approval to send my girlfriend, your best friend, notes.’ He laughed. ‘Unless you’re sending some sort of love notes – then that’s out.’

Harry laughed. ‘No, you know who I’d like to send love notes to.’

Ron rolled his eyes. ‘She’s not coming, if that’s who you’re waiting for.’

Harry sighed. ‘Is she okay? We had lunch yesterday and she seemed…upset with me…to say the least.’

Percy had been listening intently and Ron, noticing this, pulled Harry closer to the door and said, ‘Look, mate, I know this has been a bracing week for you, I know, and it has been for all of us. I don’t know how she’s doing, to be honest. I mean, George is in a pretty bad shape…and…well, she told me about that visit where you got sick…’

Harry ran his hands through his hair. ‘I just…I couldn’t do it…and it seemed like your parents were thankful for it.’

Ron replied, ‘Yeah, but…well, I don’t know…I think she’s pretty upset about the whole thing. All I know is she doesn’t want to talk about it.’

Harry furrowed his brow in response. ‘That can’t be good. I mean, bottling things up isn’t good.’

Ron shrugged. ‘I know, but this is Ginny. She’ll talk when she wants to. And we both know she’s not the type of person to be afraid to voice her thoughts.’

Harry laughed. ‘She is definitely not that type of person.’

Percy cleared his throat again. ‘If you care about her so much, then maybe you should help her open up.’

Percy was still glaring at Harry and Ron looked between the two of them curiously before saying, ‘What are you on about?’

Percy tore his glare from Harry and said, ‘So, mum and dad didn’t tell you about Harry’s and Ginny’s latest escapade?’

Harry started to argue but could see Percy had caught Ron’s attention. Ron put his hand up at Harry and turned to Percy. ‘What happened?’

‘Just a day ago, your best mate over there, was sleeping, with our only sister, in the middle of the sitting room,’ Percy said smugly.

‘What?’ Ron’s eyes bulged and he turned on Harry quickly. ‘Didn’t I talk to you about this?’

Harry put his hands up. ‘No, wait, he is taking this completely out of context! We were fully dressed and were just asleep, that’s it! Nothing else happened.’

Harry spoke earnestly but could see Ron was sceptical. ‘Nothing happened?’

Harry nodded. ‘Honestly. I took to heart what you told me and I don’t want to hurt Ginny for anything.’

Ron nodded, accepting this, but Percy said forcefully, ‘What did you need to take to heart?’

Harry knew he was trapped now and looked beseechingly at Ron. Ron took a step away from Harry and replied, ‘I took care of it.’

Percy glared at his younger brother. ‘Obviously you didn’t if he’s still acting in a way that is not appropriate to our sister.’

‘Percy,’ Ron started slowly. ‘This is Harry, we’ve known him for years, and I don’t think he and Ginny are in danger of doing anything that would be inappropriate. I really think this is getting out of hand. I mean, mum and dad don’t say much to me or Hermione.’

Percy glared at Ron and repeated, ‘What did he need to take to heart?’

Ron looked flustered for a moment, his loyalty to his brother and that to his best mate in clear conflict. He turned to Harry with an apologetic look, despite Harry’s pleading look in response, and stepped towards the counter. He very quietly retold Harry’s earlier indiscretion and Harry knew it took all of Percy’s self control not to hex him right there.

Percy glared at Harry and said, ‘I think I’m more thankful now than ever that you’re not staying at the Burrow.’ He looked at Ron and asked, ‘Do mum and dad know about that?’

Ron shook his head. ‘I didn’t think it was a good time to tell them.’

Percy continued glaring at Harry and said, ‘Perhaps this should be brought up as well. Harry, I really expected more from you.’

Harry crossed his arms and glared right back. ‘Believe what you like, but I care about your sister and I don’t think I did anything to compromise her.’

Ron put his hands up as if to stem the heated argument and said, ‘Harry, we all know how much you care about Ginny, but everyone’s on edge right now...Mum and dad are actually upset that you just left, but they don’t have a lot of spare time for any of us, you included…besides, we know you mean well, but this is our only sister. She’s always fancied you, so it’s hard to watch when neither of you seem to know where to draw the line.’

Harry replied hotly, ‘We’re not children, Ron! I know where to draw the line and I think you are all being over-protective.’

Percy nearly hollered back, ‘Over-protective! Harry Potter, my parents may not be here, but I’m feeling like you’re less and less welcome at our home. How dare you judge our intentions?’

Harry clenched his jaw and started to reply when Ron said, ‘I think we all need to take a deep breath. Everyone here cares about Ginny.’

He gave Harry a warning look and Harry turned away, heading for the door. ‘I don’t have to listen to this rubbish.’

Percy bounded around the counter past Ron and yelled, ‘Rubbish – you’d know a lot about that, wouldn’t you?’

Harry turned, eyes blazing. ‘What the bloody hell is that supposed to mean?’

The customers around them were watching the heated debate. Harry took a step closer to Percy and said through gritted teeth, ‘Your brother tried to kill me and your parents practically threw me out of your house and you’re telling me I know something about rubbish?’

Percy’s expression changed for a moment, the guilt of George’s actions on him. ‘No one ever meant for you to get hurt. We thought what we were doing was for the best…’

Harry was seething and retorted, ‘Do I look like I need to have things done for my best interest?’

Percy glared right back at Harry and replied evenly, ‘With that temper, I’d say yes.’

Ron stood between them quickly, pushing Percy back. ‘I think both of you need to calm down. This isn’t helping anything. Or anyone.’

Harry started to reply when the door to the shop opened and they all saw Ginny enter quietly. She looked upset but her eyes widened as she saw them standing around in a clearly combative manner.

‘What’s going on in here?’ she asked softly.

Harry felt his anger melt slightly and he replied, ‘Nothing…I was in the area and thought I’d see if you were around.’ He looked at her imploringly and asked, ‘How are you?’

She shrugged absently. ‘Fine.’ She looked at Percy, seeing the look on his face and said, ‘You alright, Percy?’

Percy pulled away from Ron’s grasp gruffly and replied, ‘I’m fine.’ His expression softened and he said quietly, ‘You shouldn’t be here. I think you should go home and get some rest.’

She tilted her head and rubbed her neck. ‘I can’t sit around there. I felt like going out.’

Harry followed her with his eyes closely, but Ron was standing in his line of sight and shook his head emphatically. Harry sighed and continued listening. Percy reached an arm out to Ginny and continued, ‘I know, but…you look like you could use some rest and once you get back to school you won’t have it. I know how you get with revisions. Your NEWTs are this year and you’re captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team.’

She nodded, paying no attention to Harry and replied, ‘I know, but I just can’t concentrate on resting. I feel restless.’

He led her behind the counter, sitting her in a nearby stool and said, ‘What do you want to do? I’m sure Ron can take over and I can take you someplace.’

Ron stepped forward, leaving Harry on the edge of the store. ‘Yeah, Ginny, you and Percy can go find something to get your mind off of things.’

She shook her head. ‘I feel like you’re all treating me like I’m going to break…I’m in the same boat all of you are in…’

Percy smiled at her and rubbed her back. ‘You’re our little sister; we can’t help but want to take care of you.’

Ginny shrugged at this, but Harry could see she had shut her eyes very tightly, trying to quell the tears. He felt like he was intruding on an intimate family moment and didn’t know if he should be witnessing it. He took a tentative step forward.

Percy continued to rub her back and said, ‘Just think about it. We can get your stuff for school easily enough. You need to clear your mind off all these worries before you start school. I think that would be best.’

She didn’t say anything and Ron turned slightly, looking at Harry, but not conveying anything. They stood there quietly for some time before customers started creating more of a commotion. Harry had never felt more useless and while all the distractions were occurring, he quietly stepped out of the shop and stood outside for a few moments before leaving to go back to Grimmauld Place.

Chapter Endnotes: Thank you so much for your continued reading and commenting!