Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The next few days passed quietly and Harry was finally able to feel healthy again. He hadn’t heard from Ron or Ginny in those days and he suspected it had something to do with their last encounter. He knew Percy had probably said something to Ginny about him and he didn’t look forward to any more conversations or confrontations with Percy. He really cared about Ginny and didn’t know how best to convey that.

He hadn’t expected Ron to defend his actions, but he hadn’t expected Ron to tell Percy what had happened either. Harry grew up with no brothers and sisters and his concept of family was shrouded by his merciless aunt, uncle and a cousin who could do no wrong.

Harry kept to himself for those days, glad for the respite from the disdain he was feeling from the Weasley family. He wasn’t certain if it was in his head or real, but he didn’t feel comfortable spending too much more time with them.

His new robes came and were slightly different than the ones he wore at school. Since he would be working at the Ministry, he wanted to look his best. He had gone Muggle clothes shopping on one of his free days and had acquired some new suits as well.

He’d written a hasty letter to Hermione and had still not received a response. He was surprised when she came out of his grate a few days later. She greeted him sweetly, ‘Harry! You look like you’re doing better.’

She hugged him in a friendly manner and he returned the hug. ‘I think I’m all better. Just needed some rest and a tad less stress.’

She nodded. ‘So I’ve heard.’

Harry gave her a curious look and she said, ‘I came to get my school things, even though we still have some time. And I thought, if you don’t have anything to do, maybe we could catch up?’

He looked at her curiously and asked, ‘Did Ron send you?’

She laughed. ‘No, but he told me what happened at the shop. I used my own mind to come visit you.’

He smiled at her. ‘I could use a pleasant distraction. And since my so-called-girlfriend doesn’t seem up to it…’

She shook her head. ‘Harry…I know Ginny and I have not spent as much time together as you, Ron and I have, but I think you’re not being entirely fair. You did just up and leave.’

He nodded. ‘I know, I know, but what was I supposed to do?’

She crossed her arms and replied, ‘Perhaps you could have started at acting appropriately. I mean, Harry, I know sleeping and helping you change are both innocuous by themselves, but considering all the stress the Weasley family is feeling, you could have slowed your…amorous efforts a bit. ’

He didn’t reply and she put her hands up. ‘Harry, come on, let’s just head out. This might help clear your head.’

He didn’t look to be moving and she walked over, nudging him. ‘For goodness sake, Harry! Snap out of it!’

He nodded and grabbed his jacket. ‘I don’t think I need anything else, do I?’

‘You’re not buying school supplies, are you?’ she asked.

He smiled. ‘Let’s go then.’

They Apparated separately to Diagon Alley and Hermione headed towards Flourish & Blotts. Harry sighed and tried to keep up. ‘Hermione!’ he called after her. ‘I really think you have all the books in the world!’

She laughed and slowed down. ‘Oh, come on, Harry. This is textbook shopping now – totally different than what I was getting over the summer.’

Harry laughed. ‘Does that make it more or less exciting for you?’

She was brimming and replied, ‘I am honestly not sure, Harry.’

He couldn’t help but smile at the excitement Hermione had for book shopping. She always had such an affinity for knowledge. He wondered if Ron knew the competition he had in store for him. Hermione managed to collect all of her textbooks and took a few home, having the rest delivered to the school.

‘Hermione, Ginny told me she was named Captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team, what did your letter tell you?’ Harry asked.

She grinned broadly. ‘You won’t believe it, Harry – I was named Head Girl! Can you believe it?’

Harry smiled back at her. ‘Hermione, that’s brilliant! Congratulations! I can’t imagine Professor McGonagall choosing a better person for the position.’

He didn’t think she could be happier, but she continued smiling. ‘It’s amazing, isn’t it? I am so excited to go back to Hogwarts! I never expected to be treated differently for my part in Voldemort’s fall, but that was in the letter. Thank you for that, Harry.’

He shook his head. ‘This success is yours and yours alone. You deserve this. And what’s even better, you won’t have to carry Ron and me through another year. You can focus on your own academics.’

She looked down nervously as they walked down the street. ‘To be honest, Harry, and please don’t tell Ron I said this, I’m a bit nervous about going to school without you two.’ She slowed down, stopping in the middle of the street. ‘I know Ginny will be there, but I don’t…’ She struggled for a moment and said, ‘I don’t have many friends save for you and Ron…’

He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and said, ‘Hermione, don’t be absurd – you will be the talk of the school. You’re Head Girl and you’re a hero. You are going to be just fine.’

She smiled weakly at him. ‘I hope you’re right, Harry.’

They walked quietly for some time before Hermione said, ‘Harry…there was a reason I came to see you and I don’t think I’ve done anything to make you feel better.’

He gave her a surprised look. ‘Was that what we were supposed to be doing?’

She laughed. ‘Well, I should be helping you, instead of you helping me.’

He smiled. ‘I think your going back to school is more exciting than me starting at the Ministry.’

‘Aren’t you excited about that?’ She asked.

‘Sort of…I got my new robes earlier this week. I’m just not that excited knowing that…’ He stammered for a moment before continuing, ‘I really feel like I let the Weasley family down…after my birthday…’

He shook his head, unable to continue and Hermione patted him on the back gently. ‘Harry, nothing that happened is your fault…’ She smirked at him and continued, ‘Though, you and Ginny got a little –’

Harry didn’t let her finish. ‘Hermione – don’t tell me you listened to that rubbish from Ron and Percy!’

She put her hands up quickly. ‘Harry, you know I care about you and I value your friendship over most things, but when it comes to Ginny, you don’t seem to be able to think or act in a way that seems like your normal self!’ She sighed and spoke more slowly, ‘If I didn’t know better, you’re acting like Ginny did when she first met you.’

Harry balked for a second but could come up with no response. He sighed and started walking forward, not knowing in what direction they were going. Hermione walked quickly to catch up with them and said tentatively, ‘Harry?’

He turned slowly and nodded slightly. ‘You’re right…I may not be acting like I normally would…she just…’ He blushed and said, ‘When I’m around her, I really can’t keep my hands off of her.’

She smiled at him. ‘Harry, I am really, really happy to see you so happy.’

‘Am I?’ he retorted. ‘I can’t even get her to talk to me right now.’

‘Harry…I…’ She looked around nervously and pulled close to him. ‘I think that trip to the hospital didn’t get you any further in her good graces.’

He cringed. ‘I know…I just…I felt sick to my stomach.’ He continued more slowly, ‘I couldn’t move. The thought of coming face-to-face with George after what happened…I couldn’t do it.’

She patted him on the arm and said, ‘Harry…I can’t say that I know how you feel. It can’t be easy facing the person who tried to kill you, especially considering he’s a good friend, practically family. But he didn’t…’ She flushed for a moment. ‘He didn’t know what he was doing. I know that doesn’t make it alright, but he didn’t, and that has to mean something.’

He nodded and took a step forward before stopping. ‘What should I do?’

She sighed and shrugged. ‘You two only have a little bit of time before you’ll be separated for a long time…I don’t know about you…but I’m trying to spend as much time with Ron no matter how crazy he makes me.’

He smiled and said, ‘I’m glad you’re getting to find some time with Ron…your parents were okay with him?’

She nodded and blushed. ‘They thought he was a bit odd, but both my parents agreed that he acted very…’ She blushed further and said quietly, ‘Very devoted to me.’

Harry leaned close and said, ‘That’s because he is.’ He sighed. ‘Now if only I knew how to get that across to Ginny.’

Hermione smiled encouragingly. ‘I wish I could help, but I don’t know how.’

He nodded. ‘I wanted to do something special for her birthday, but she didn’t sound at all interested to spend time with me.’

Hermione stepped closer to him and said, ‘I think, no matter what she’s feeling, she still likes having you around.’

Harry laughed. ‘That makes me feel loads better.’

‘That isn’t exactly what I meant,’ she finished hurriedly. ‘I just think that you being around won’t offend her further.’

Harry rolled his eyes at this and said, ‘Alright, Hermione, you’ve done your job, I’m thoroughly uplifted. How much more shopping do you need to do?’

She smiled. ‘I’m done. I’ve gotten my robes taken care of and didn’t use any of my potions stuff since our sixth year. But if you want to go back to Flourish and Blotts, I won’t stop you.’

He shook his head emphatically. ‘Not a chance. I got my new robes and I don’t have anything else to get while we’re here.’

‘No?’ she asked. She pointed towards Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. ‘At least Ron might be there.’

He shook his head. ‘Or worse, Percy might be there.’

Hermione nudged Harry towards the store and said, ‘Even though you get to see Ron, I won’t get to see both of you together, won’t you humour me?’

He sighed and nodded. He couldn’t deny her what would be one of the last times they’d see each other before she’d be off to school. Harry opened the door for her and was surprised to see Ron standing alone behind the counter. Ron looked up, his eyes widened at seeing Hermione and he threw down what he was doing to greet her. He bounded around the counter and embraced her tightly. She smiled profusely into his shoulder as he kissed her passionately before finally breaking apart.

He mumbled under his breath, ‘Hey Harry.’

Harry smiled. ‘Hey. You here by yourself?’

He nodded and wrapped an arm around Hermione’s waist, pulling her forward. ‘Yeah, Percy and Ginny went off to do something.’

Harry wondered if he was being purposely obtuse, but didn’t say more. Ron questioned Hermione about all the things she got and she gushed about all the books she’d been able to get.

‘It will be a fantastic year. I am so excited about all the classes that I’ll be able to take and all the new challenges…but I’m really going to miss you two,’ she said quietly.

Ron squeezed her hand. ‘We’re going to miss you, too.’

She grinned and said, ‘I hope you two can take care of each other.’

Harry replied, ‘I’m just hoping you can keep an eye on my red-head.’

Ron and Hermione laughed. She said, ‘I’ll try, but you know how popular Ginny is!’

Harry nodded and sighed. ‘I know…just…keep the other blokes away from her.’

Ron laughed. ‘Didn’t we try that already? And it didn’t work at all!’

Harry ran his hand through his hair. ‘Ron, I don’t know what to do about your sister.’

Ron laughed. ‘Mate, I never know either.’

Hermione poked him. ‘Harry, you’re worrying too much. She really cares about you, too.’

Ron looked down and Harry caught the movement. ‘What? Spit it out, Ron.’

Ron put his hands up and said, ‘I don’t want any part of this.’

‘She’s upset with me, isn’t she?’ Harry asked.

Ron looked at Hermione, who looked away in response. Ron tapped her hand and she replied quickly, ‘Don’t pull me in! I don’t want to get on her bad side! She’s one of the few people I’d consider a friend that’s going to be at Hogwarts next year.’

Ron squeezed her hand. ‘Don’t be silly, Hermione, you have loads of friends.’

She shook her head. ‘I think they’re all in this room.’

Harry waved both his hands. ‘Excuse me, but I have a serious problem over here!’

Ron laughed. ‘Yeah you do. I don’t want to get involved, but you need to do something…but not something too overbearing, she won’t like that.’

Harry looked nervously at Ron. ‘Is it that bad?’

Ron shook his head. ‘That’s all I’m saying. Don’t ruin this moment with my girlfriend.’

Hermione rolled her eyes and Harry turned away from them, leaning against the counter. He had a feeling they wouldn’t say more and didn’t know what his next option would be. He ignored the more provocative activity that was going on behind him and continued to muse. Explaining himself didn’t do anything and spending silent time with her didn’t seem to do it either. He didn’t want to venture a visit to George that might make both the Weasley parents kill him. He glanced over at Ron and Hermione but could see they were both too busy to speak and started walking away.

Hermione caught the movement out of the corner of her eye and grabbed Harry’s arm. She pulled away from Ron, though he continued kissing her. She said breathlessly, ‘Harry, don’t go.’

Harry pulled his arm out of her grasp and laughed. ‘I love you both, but I don’t want to get involved in what you’re doing.’

Hermione laughed and Ron chuckled into Hermione’s hair, continuing to kiss her. Ron wrapped his arms around her waist and said, ‘Come on, Harry. We’ll stop.’

Harry laughed. ‘No, I don’t want you to, not on my account at least. You deserve to enjoy your time together. I’ll catch you both later.’

With that he waved and headed out of the store. He could hear an argument erupting between his two best friends but didn’t think on it. As he headed out of the door he ran smack into the one person he was dreading to see.

Ginny and Percy were on the other side of the door and Harry had to stop quickly not to knock both of them over. Ginny grabbed Harry’s shoulders for balance but quickly pulled her hands away realising who it was. Percy stood behind Ginny, but Harry could feel his glare through her. Percy didn’t say anything and Harry ignored him.

He uttered quickly, ‘Sorry about that. I didn’t see you coming.’

She nodded not catching his eyes. ‘My fault, really.’

He stood there dumbfounded and then said feebly, ‘Have you gotten all your school stuff?’

She looked up at him with a surprised expression and replied, ‘No. I’ve gotten my list, but haven’t had time to go out and get everything.’

Percy was standing as if he were a silent sentry and Harry continued to ignore him, taking Ginny’s arm and saying, ‘Can I talk to you?’

She didn’t have any sort of response and he led her away from the shop and her older brother. Percy stood stock still, watching them with a glare. He relented, shook his head and headed into the store. The street had a scant number of people milling around. Few took notice of the exchange. Harry looked across the street and spotted a stall that appeared to be serving some sort of beverages.

He slipped his arm through hers and took her hand in his, saying quietly, ‘How are you doing?’

She didn’t look at him but replied curtly, ‘Fine, you? You look well rested.’

‘Kreacher’s been making sure I’m resting.’ He led her to the nearby stall that was serving coffee, tea and hot cocoa and purchased two cups of hot cocoa, despite her protests.

‘Ginny…’ he started, but didn’t know where he was going and stood there looking at her imploringly. There were so many things he wanted to say, but his mind went blank when he looked into those dark, brown eyes.

She laughed softly. ‘Harry, you really have a way with words.’

He grinned at her. ‘Just saying your name makes me feel better.’

She shook her head and smiled. ‘I do get butterflies in my stomach when you say it.’

‘If that’ll make you talk to me again, then I’ll say it all day,’ he quipped.

Her face fell and she looked away. He said quickly, ‘No, Ginny, that…you’re right, I’m no good with words.’

She looked as if she were going to walk away and he said urgently, ‘Ginny, talk to me. Something…’

She turned to him and smiled weakly. ‘I don’t know what to tell you, Harry. Between school and George, I just don’t know that I have time to deal with our…relationship.’

He moved the cup from one hand to the other and weaved his arm through hers again. ‘What’s there to deal with?’

She leaned close to him and said, ‘I don’t know, Harry…I’ve been feeling a little weird about things between us.’

He nodded and replied, ‘I know…ever since your mum hollered at us, I’ve been afraid to get too close.’

She looked up at him and said, ‘I noticed.’

He gave her a worried look and said, ‘Ginny, they’re not my parents. I have to show them the utmost respect; especially when it comes to you.’ He continued slowly, ‘I mean...I want them to know that I plan to respect you in the future.’

She sipped her drink and said, ‘I know. I mean…I don’t mean to judge you, Harry. I know we’re serious, that isn’t what’s bothering me.’

‘Then what is it?’ he asked. She looked down and he squeezed her arm. ‘You can tell me.’

She sighed and replied absently, ‘I just want this summer to be over…’

He laughed grimly. ‘Not me. Then I won’t see you until…until Merlin knows when…’

He trailed off and she finished, ‘Until the memorial.’ She continued, ‘Harry, things are just over-whelming. I feel like I’m being pulled in three different directions.’

She started to walk away and pulled him along, their arms still weaved together. ‘Mum and dad want me to ‘rest’ and get ready for school. They also want me to spend some time with George. Percy won’t get off my case about you. On top of that you just…you up and left and I didn’t know what to think…’

He pulled her closer to him and said, ‘I know he’s your older brother, but he was acting like I was trying to take advantage of you in a way I’d never…’

He didn’t complete the sentence but could feel his anger boiling within. He would never dream of doing anything that would jeopardise his relationship, his future, with Ginny. She rolled her eyes at him and said, ‘Harry, he’s my older brother, and he feels partially responsible for Fred’s death. He’s just trying to be there for me, for the whole family, especially with everything that’s going on with my parents and how he was before the war.’

He sighed and nodded, whispering apologetically, ‘I know…I know I’m not helping things.’

He leaned over and kissed her softly, not wanting to push his luck, but she leaned up and kissed him back. They broke apart slowly and she mumbled, ‘And then you go and do something like that and I’m more confused than I was before.’

He grinned and leaned down, his lips almost on top of hers. ‘I don’t mind the confusion.’

She leaned up and kissed him, letting her lips linger on his before pulling away slowly. ‘I wouldn’t mind being able to think clear when you’re around.’

He leaned down to kiss her again but she pulled away. ‘Harry…’ She turned her face away from him and he kissed her on the cheek.

‘That wasn’t so bad, was it?’ He said.

She smiled up at him, sipping her drink. ‘Not in the least. But I think you know what I’m contending with.’

He smiled at her and said, ‘I don’t mean to make things more complicated…I want to do right by you…I wish we had the answer as to what that would be.’

She smiled weakly at him. ‘I know…it would make things a lot easier.’

He looked down at her and said, ‘Barring mind reading, what should we do? What should I do?’

She shrugged. ‘I wish I knew.’

He finished his drink and tossed it into a nearby rubbish bin. ‘How about this…you let me take you out for your birthday, and you can block all of the background noise from your mind for one solitary night?’

She grinned and then started laughing. ‘You know, that’s the best offer I’ve heard in a while.’

‘Good, then I will swing by the Burrow on your birthday, in the evening, and expect you to be ready.’ He grinned at her and she nodded reluctantly.

‘Harry, I hope we’re not going to do something really outrageous,’ she said quietly.

‘Why don’t you tell me exactly what you want to do, since you’re so opposed to surprises?’ He smiled at her and waited for her to respond.

She looked up at him and said helplessly, ‘Harry…’

‘Okay, okay, I’ll think of something that I know you’ll enjoy. Look…well, I’m thinking of a nice place to take you.’ He smiled at her and continued, ‘I know you always look fantastic, but, let me put it this way, I’ll be wearing something Muggle-like that’s one step down from dress robes.’

She shook her head and sighed. ‘This sounds a lot like a surprise to me.’

He shrugged and gave her his most innocent smile. ‘I don’t know what you’re talking about.’

She smiled. ‘That sounds lovely, Harry. But…’ She looked down for a moment and said, ‘Harry, I really enjoyed your birthday, so please don’t go out of your way.’

He crossed his arms and said, ‘I want to go out of my way for you. It makes me happy.’

She finished her drink and tossed the empty cup into the rubbish bin and put her hands on his arms and said, ‘Harry, you don’t have to act like this is the last time we’ll see each other.’

‘No, but it is the last time we’ll have some time alone without your parents or your brothers shooting me death glares.’ He tried to smile but as upset as he was about the whole situation, feeling his anger return.

She shook her head and said, ‘Harry…I know they’re giving you a hard time.’

She started to say something but looked away. ‘I guess I can’t really understand how you feel…’ She squeezed his arms and leaned up, kissing him softly. ‘I’m sorry, Harry.'

He rested his forehead against hers and said quietly, ‘Don’t be. I wouldn’t have it any other way.’ He started to laugh. ‘Well, maybe a little. I might feel differently once they stop hating me.’

She slapped him on the arm lightly. ‘Harry, no one hates you! They just want to…to protect me.’

‘From me? What the bloody hell do they think I’m going to do? Force myself on you?’ He stepped away from her, his expression full of anger.

She waved her hands in a sign of surrender and said, ‘Harry, let’s not argue.’

He set his jaw but nodded slowly. ‘I’m sorry…I…I love your family so much…having them upset with me really…confuses me.’

She stepped towards him and said, ‘I know, Harry. They love you like their son…’ She stopped a strange expression crossing her face and continued, ‘but this would be an aberration if you were their son.’

They both locked eyes and burst out laughing. Ginny wrapped her arms around him and buried her face in his chest. She said, ‘Oh Merlin’s shorts, that was a disturbing picture!’

He embraced her warmly and said, ‘Let’s purge that from our minds forever.’

She rested her head on his shoulder enjoying their closeness. ‘Harry, I better get inside before Percy comes out here and shoots you the evil eye…send me an owl later this week?’

He kissed her on the forehead and said, ‘Anything for you, love.’

She pulled away slowly and smiled up at him before walking into the shop. He stood there for a few minutes before Apparating back to Grimmauld Place. He had to start work in a couple days and had to get ready for Ginny’s birthday. What had started as a boring day had left him with a laundry list of things to do.