Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Harry was exhausted from Gaunt’s training. The first day had been unpleasant, but the training had only gotten more rigorous. Ron, Neville and Harry had been assigned varying tasks each day. One day they would practice various defensive spells, another day they would practice shields and protection charms. Each day proved more challenging than the last, yet Gaunt had noted that they were all excellent candidates to be Aurors and improving quickly.

Gaunt had gone over their test results from the exam they’d taken their first day and he had told them they would have no trouble passing their NEWT’s in one month’s time. Harry couldn’t believe that they only had a few weeks to prepare for what would determine how they would fare at the Ministry in the future.

On top of all of the revisions and reading he had to do, Harry also was trying his best to keep Ginny’s birthday on his radar. Kreacher had been an immense help. The house elf had found the restaurant, had exchanged money and found the gift to give her. Even though Harry had given him instructions, it was still a lot of work for the house elf to do.

Ron, Neville and Harry had taken to spending evenings holed up in Harry’s sitting room with countless books around them. Ron always seemed to be Apparating off to see Hermione, leaving Neville and Harry to concentrate on what needed to be understood for the following day.

In the week between starting work and Ginny’s birthday, Harry only had time to send her a couple of letters by owl. She seemed more invested in the letters she sent back in response, but Harry kicked himself every day for not going over to the Burrow or the Weasleys’ shop to see her.

He imagined Percy was thankful for Harry’s new busy time, but he knew Ginny probably wouldn’t be pleased about it. Or maybe she would be. Harry knew the last few times they’d seen each other she had been rather distant. He had a feeling she was finally able to mourn for Fred more openly, though probably not in front of any one of her family.

Harry had asked Ron about how George was doing, but Ron had stayed mum about it. He knew that Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had most likely told Ron that it wasn’t something he should concern Harry with, but this only made Harry feel more guilty.

As Ginny’s birthday approached, Gaunt had made a point to note the date repeatedly, as if he also knew its significance. Neville had no idea what Gaunt was alluding to, and Ron was oblivious about the topic entirely. Harry did his best to ignore Gaunt’s pointed comments, but Gaunt made it impossible for Harry to get away.

The day before Ginny’s birthday, Gaunt called Harry into his office and said, ‘Well, Mr. Potter, you seem to be making solid progress. I see that your friends are more amenable to my teachings than you have been. Any thing you’d like to bring to my attention that is making it hard for you to concentrate?’

Harry shook his head. ‘No, sir.’

Gaunt laughed and smirked at Harry. ‘Your little girlfriend has a birthday coming up, is that correct?’

Harry knew not to argue. ‘Yes, sir. And I took your advice to heart and have planned something that should avoid any magical attention.’

Gaunt smiled. ‘Good…I have a question for you though. Do you think she knows about this and never said anything to you?’

Harry knew he was talking about the unwanted publicity and replied, ‘I don’t know, sir. I don’t want to stress her out more than she needs to be.’

Gaunt looked hard at his desk and said quietly, ‘Its hard to say what’s best, knowing or not know.’

Harry looked up saw Gaunt looking thoughtful. Harry could tell Gaunt was not, despite how he had treated him, trying to make his life harder, but make it better, however hard that was to grasp. Gaunt continued quietly, ‘Trust me, Mr. Potter, one small thing I’ve learned in my long life: life has such value, you should never let anything get in the way of that. Nothing.’

Harry looked at him curiously but Gaunt’s expression changed again. ‘I am sure you expect to do something special for your girlfriend’s birthday, but we have a lot of work to do and you, Mr. Weasley and Mr. Longbottom will be doing a time-consuming project starting tomorrow, and I hope you are able to remember what’s important.’

Harry nodded and walked out of the door. He sighed, knowing fully that Gaunt was going to do his level best to make Ginny’s birthday memorable. Most likely not in the way Harry had intended it to be.

Harry found Ron and Neville in what had become their makeshift office. Gaunt had set them up in a large room with three desks and one table in the centre. The three of them had taken to stacking the various books on the table and trying in vain to organise their desks.

He greeted them quietly, ‘I think Gaunt has something special planned for us.’

Ron nodded. ‘Yeah, some new project. Not to mention all the revisions we need to do.’

Neville muttered something, hardly looking up from his parchment. Harry walked over to Neville’s desk and tapped the edge. ‘Neville, what are you working on?’

Neville looked up slowly. ‘Mr. Gaunt believes I need some extra work in Defence Against the Dark Arts and has given me some extra reading.’

Harry looked at him in sympathising manner and said, ‘Can Ron or I help?’

Neville shook his head. ‘Thanks, Harry, but I can’t. Not until after we’ve taken our exams.’

Harry looked at him incredulously. ‘Did he say we couldn’t help you’?’

Neville quickly looked back at the text he was studying and made no response. Harry didn’t push. He felt like Gaunt had been bullying all of them for the last week and there was no end in sight. Harry sighed and sat at the centre table and looked over at Ron. ‘Any idea what he has planned?’

Ron looked up and replied, ‘Not a clue. Though,’ he lowered his voice and sat at the edge of his seat, ‘Hermione has been rather jealous when I’ve told her what we’ve been doing.’

Harry laughed. ‘You can’t be serious!’

Ron laughed quietly. ‘You know Hermione, she just loves this stuff. She even offered to help and come do revisions with us.’

Harry raised his eyebrows and waited for Ron to continue. Ron grinned. ‘I told her, if we were spending time together, there’d better not be any books around.’

Harry shook his head. ‘I don’t get it Ron. If its me and Ginny, it isn’t okay, but if its you and Hermione…’

Ron narrowed his eyes. ‘I haven’t asked her to undress me, that’s one thing.’

Harry sat up rigidly and said, ‘Let it go, Ron. Nothing happened.’

They glared at one another for a moment before the door opened behind them and Gaunt said, ‘Ah, some free time on your hands, Mr. Potter? Then perhaps I can find something extra for you to work on tomorrow when you get in.’

Gaunt dropped a large stack of parchment on the table and continued, ‘Gentlemen, I hope you have completed the revisions I gave you last week. I expect them on my desk tomorrow morning. Then we’ll have a new set of revisions and spells you’ll need to master.’

They nodded and said nothing. Gaunt sighed. ‘I expect to see you all bright and early tomorrow morning. We have a lot of work to do and I don’t feel like you’re ready.’

Harry knew both Neville and Ron would share the same dread he was feeling at the time. They all went home, choosing not to revise together that night. Harry sent a Patronus to Ginny, asking her if he could come see her that night and had received an owl back confirming it was okay.

He ate dinner quickly and Apparated to the Burrow. He didn’t know why he hadn’t Flooed, but thought it best to knock on the door and act politely, respectfully. He walked up to the house he’d so recently considered home and could hear loud voices from within.

He knocked urgently and could hear silence answer. Mrs. Weasley opened the door and gushed, ‘Harry! How wonderful to see you! How are you feeling?’

He smiled at her, not being able to see past her and replied, ‘I’m fine, Mrs. Weasley, thank you for asking. How are you doing?’

She waved her hand dismissively, ‘Fine, fine.’ She moved away from the door and Harry looked in, though he did not see Ginny around. ‘I expect you’re here to see Ginny. We haven’t had time to plan something for her…I’m so glad you two are going to be able to find some time together.’

She muttered something under her breath that Harry couldn’t hear as she walked to the base of the stairs. Whoever Mrs. Weasley had been arguing with, it didn’t appear to be Ginny. She called up the stairs for her daughter and Harry’s breath caught in his throat as she jogged down the steps, her eyes flowing inquisitively from her mother to Harry. She smiled as she saw him and Harry felt his heart lighten at this.

Mrs. Weasley started to say something and Ginny’s attention was pulled away from Harry. He didn’t know what they were talking about, but Mrs. Weasley shot Ginny a warning glance that was met with frustration and acceptance. Ginny turned away from her mother and beckoned Harry to follow her out onto the porch.

They sat down next to each other and Harry ran his arm across her back, his hand resting near her hip. ‘So, are you ready for tomorrow?’ he asked.

She shrugged and nudged him with her shoulder. ‘I think so. Though if you told me more, then I might be able to plan better.’

He grinned at her but shook his head. He said quietly, ‘I’m sorry I haven’t been around…’

She patted him on the knee. ‘Don’t be silly, Harry. You just started work. Ron was telling me how intense all the work Gaunt has you doing is.’ She turned to look at him and said, ‘That man makes me very uncomfortable.’

Harry nodded. ‘He has that way about him, that’s for sure.’

‘So, how has the training being going for you? The last Patronus I got from you was a little disjointed.’ She smiled up at him.

‘It’s been really tough,’ he confessed. ‘Gaunt has us doing all sorts of things. Every day its something different.’ He wanted to say more, about what Gaunt had warned against, but could still feel tension coming off of Ginny in waves.

She nodded. ‘It does sound rather intense. Ron says that even though Gaunt is layering things on, all of you are staying afloat.’

Harry chuckled. ‘I don’t quit. I don’t see Ron or Neville quitting either.’

She sighed and leaned against his chest. ‘No, I wouldn’t expect that of you either.’ She nudged him again and said, ‘Where are we going again?’

She smiled sweetly at him and he laughed. ‘Not so fast, Ginny. My lips are sealed!’

She turned abruptly and kissed him, pressing her lips hard against his. She pulled away slightly and said, ‘Not anymore.’

He wrapped his arms around her and said, ‘No teasing, Ginny.’ He leaned over and kissed her on the side of the head. ‘How are you doing? You haven’t said much in your letters.’

She looked across the lawn, pulling away from him and said, ‘It’s been fine. I mean…’ She shrugged and repeated, ‘It’s fine.’

He shook his head and whispered softly, ‘You can tell me. I want to know. I wouldn’t be asking otherwise.’

She laughed softly. ‘It is fine. I just need to make it to that train. Things will be a lot easier at school.’

Harry rested a hand on her shoulder. ‘It isn’t like you to want to run away from things.’

She kept her gaze away from him and said quietly, ‘I know…’

He waited a few moments for her to say something more, but she didn’t. He leaned over, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and said, ‘Ginny, love, I want to know what’s going on so I can help you. If you don’t tell me what’s going on with you, I can’t help.’

She gave him a sceptical look and he continued hurriedly, ‘And if you bring up how busy I am, I’m definitely not going to tell you where we’re going tomorrow!’

She turned away again, but leaned her back against his chest. ‘A couple days ago, mum and dad finally told George about Fred.’ She took a few quick, shallow breaths, clearly trying to keep her emotions in check and wrung her hands together for a few moments before feeling more in control. She continued, ‘He was devastated. He had no idea. It was as if the last few months were gone from his mind.’

She turned suddenly, her eyes swimming and said, ‘But then, as if something was just turned on him, he remembered; everything. He knew what had happened, what he’d done….it was awful…Percy told me about it afterwards. Mum and dad have been arguing about what to do about George ever since.’

He leaned over and said quietly, ‘At least that’s progress, isn’t it?’

She looked at him blankly. ‘Is it? What is progress?’

Harry rubbed her back gently and said, ‘I think you shouldn’t put all the weight of your family’s burden’s on your shoulders. It is progress. He’s remembering things and that has to be a way to getting better.’

She didn’t say anything but leaned against him, enjoying the closeness. He felt like she was finally allowing him to console her. Something he’d wanted to do the entire summer.

After a few minutes, she pulled away from him slightly and turned to him smiling. ‘Harry, I know you have an early morning tomorrow.’

He nodded and said, ‘I do. I will be by tomorrow before seven. We have reservations and I don’t want to miss any time with you.’

He got up and offered his hand to her. She grasped it firmly and he pulled her up gently. She leaned up and kissed him and he wrapped his arms tightly around her waist, returning the affection. He pulled away reluctantly and said quietly, ‘Good night.’

She embraced him and kissed him on the cheek. ‘Good night, Harry.’

She turned and headed back into the house. Harry stood for a moment, as if checking the time, quickly Apparated home. Kreacher was awake and Harry asked once again about the preparations for the following day. The house elf confirmed that everything was as Harry had requested it. He rushed up the stairs and got ready for bed, realising he had a long day ahead of him and tried, in vain, to fall asleep.