Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The four friends left the shop and headed out of Diagon Alley Apparating back to Grimmauld Place. Harry walked in front of the group, feeling Ginny lag to the back behind Hermione and Ron, who were walking arm-in-arm, as he approached the home and opened the door.

Kreacher appeared almost instantly, ‘Master Harry, you have brought guests.’ The old elf didn’t seem put off at all, nodding politely at each of them in turn.

‘I asked them to come over for tea Kreacher, is that all right?’ Harry asked.

The house elf nodded enthusiastically, ‘Of course, of course, Master Harry.’ He hurried off towards the kitchen leaving them in the foyer.

Hermione looked around, ‘It doesn’t seem to have changed a whole lot Harry, though it is much, much cleaner than the last time we were here.’

Ron nodded, ‘It was a great headquarters, though – too bad we couldn’t have used if for longer.’

No one said anything, remembering the gruelling time spent out of doors. Ginny’s eyes were downcast as they had entered and she had not met anyone’s gaze since arriving.

Harry motioned down the hallway, ‘Perhaps we should make ourselves comfortable. I’m not sure how long it’ll take Kreacher to prepare tea.’

Hermione and Ron went forward and entered a room to the left, while Harry reached out and took Ginny’s hand in his own, ‘What’s the matter? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.’

Harry regretted the words almost as soon as he said them, Ginny’s face turning stoic. He sighed, ‘That isn’t what I meant, I’m sorry.’ He kissed her softly on the cheek and lead her down the hallway, feeling her hand clasp his more tightly as they walked.

As they entered the room, Hermione and Ron were sitting comfortably in a sofa, Hermione leaning on Ron. Harry smiled looking at them, ‘Its still so weird seeing you two ‘together’ after seeing you two, well, not together, for so long.’

Hermione laughed, ‘You’re one to talk – chasing after Ginny for the better part of a year!’

Ginny gave Harry a side-long glance, ‘Is that so? I always wondered why you had started acting so strangely.’

Harry smiled at her, ‘Like you didn’t know – don’t tell me that isn’t the real reason you stopped seeing Dean.’

She smiled slyly back at him, ‘I don’t know what you’re talking about.’

He reached over and wrapped her into a warm embrace, kissing her softly, ‘Either way I think I win.’

He pulled her onto a nearby chair, kissing her again. She put her hands on his arms, slowing his displays of affection slightly.

‘Must you do that,’ Ron remarked, looking away from Harry and Ginny.

Hermione laughed, ‘Please Ron, like you don’t show the same level of affection–’

Ron interrupted her before she could finish, ‘In our own privacy – not in front of other people.’

Ginny looked annoyed, ‘Might I remind you of something Won-won?’ Her tone was unmistakable, Harry and Hermione burst out laughing as Ron went slightly red.

‘That was different, that was a long time ago!’ Ron shot back.

‘Oh right, a whole two years ago. A lot has changed since then has it?’ Ginny retorted. They both looked away from each other and Harry and Hermione exchanged amused glances.

Kreacher Apparated into the room announcing that tea was ready. The group filed out of the room and into the kitchen, the couples pairing off to each side of the table.

The kitchen seemed cleaner than the last time Ron and Hermione had seen it – the table was set with simple dishes and plates. Tea and pastries were placed around the table. There was a lone vase in the middle of the table with a small set of sunflowers miraculously blooming before their eyes.

As the food was served they began chatting about the recent reconstruction that had started at Hogwarts and the work Professor McGonagall had initiated. The meal wrapped up promptly and much praise was given to Kreacher for an excellent meal, the house elf nodding his thanks as if his head were about to fall off.

They sat silently back in the drawing room, everyone full from their meal, lost in their own thoughts. Harry and Ginny sat in the sofa adjacent to one Ron and Hermione sat on. Ginny was lying across the sofa, leaning against Harry. He carelessly ran his fingers up and down Ginny’s arm as she leaned against him, her eyes shut and his free arm wrapped around her waist.

The silence was broken as Ron got to his feet, ‘I think we’d best be getting home. Mum will be expecting us soon. She worries a lot more these days, even though things are, well, you know, better than they were.’

Hermione had followed suite, looking worriedly at Harry who had not moved, nor relinquished his hold on Ginny. But Ginny had sat up, swinging her feet off of the sofa. In this awkward position Harry was forced to loosen his grip.

Ron looked from his friend to his sister, ‘Will you be heading back to the store to close up?’

Ginny nodded curtly and got to her feet. She glanced at Harry, ‘Ron’s right, I think I’ve been away too long. I should probably head over there and close things up.’

Harry nodded, ‘Well, it was good seeing you all.’

Before the words were even out of his mouth Ginny was the first to protest, ‘Don’t even think about it Harry, you’re coming with one of us. This isn’t a discussion.’

Harry looked helplessly at Ron and Hermione but their faces showed the same resolve as Ginny’s.

He sighed, ‘I just don’t know if that’s a good idea…I mean, you know.’

Ginny didn’t wait for Ron or Hermione to chime in, ’Yeah, we do know, and I think we’re all better off together than apart. So who are you coming with, me or Ron and Hermione?’

Harry didn’t want to argue with Ginny, but he didn’t feel comfortable going to the Burrow this quickly. He thought he might be able to accompany Ginny to the store and come back from there. ‘I don’t want to argue with you Ginny, well, with any of you…I guess we should leave these two love-birds together,’ he smiled as he gestured to Ron and Hermione, both turning various shades of red.

Hermione interjected, ‘Oh, I think you’re labelling the wrong pair here Harry!’

He laughed, knowing he was beat. Ron half-smiled, Harry was worried that there would be nothing but sadness now, but everyone seemed to be coping in their own way, Ron finding strength through Hermione. He realised it was probably selfish of him not to be there for Ginny, but he didn’t honestly know where they stood.

‘Then its settled, Harry and I will meet you back at the Burrow later,’ Ginny said, stepping away from the group.

Hermione hugged Harry quickly, and whispered, once Ginny was out of earshot, ‘Please keep an eye on her.’ Harry looked at her quizzically, but Ron nodded and said, ‘See you later mate – take care of my sister over there.’

Ginny rolled her eyes, ‘I’ll be fine, Ron.’

But Harry nodded, ‘The best care of her I can.’