Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: a big thank you to the mod Danielle for pushing these chapters through so fast! Without you we'd all be stuck waiting! And of course, my fab Beta whose keeping me on task. I'm glad so many of you are enjoying the story and given the quickness of posting, I may post more of the story here. I'm closing in on writing the end of the story, but it's still some chapters away ;)

Harry looked up at the clock with an exasperated expression. Ron and Neville had long since left and Gaunt had not stopped piling more work on Harry’s desk. He knew Gaunt was doing it because today was Ginny’s birthday and seemed to be convinced that should he ruin Harry’s plans, he would have accomplished something.

Harry had sent Ginny a package earlier that morning, a little something that Kreacher had put together, a sort of package of sweets. Harry had also sent her a Patronus over an hour ago, saying he was tied up at work and would be there as soon as he could.

He was furiously writing and did not hear the door to the office open. ‘You’re late, Mr. Potter.’

He looked up to see Gaunt glowering at him. Harry sighed. ‘I’m not finished.’

Gaunt shook his head. ‘I really wonder what everyone sees in you. What was one of the first things I said to you?’

Harry studied him thoughtfully and said, ‘I should protect the ones I care about.’

Gaunt sighed. ‘Yes, but was that the only point I was making?’

Harry shrugged. ‘Sir, I am running late, as you say, I don’t have time for guessing games.’

Gaunt shook his head. ‘Then go.’

Harry looked at him questioningly. ‘But I haven’t finished these revisions.’

Gaunt nodded. ‘I can see that.’ Gaunt motioned to the door. ‘What’s stopping you exactly?’

Harry didn’t have time to quibble with him and got up quickly, leaving the parchment where it was and grabbed his coat. He didn’t spare a glance at Gaunt as he ran down the hallway to the main corridor, quickly Floo’ing back to Grimmauld Place.

Kreacher was there waiting, pacing nervously. ‘Master Harry! You are late! Mistress will be displeased.’

Harry nodded and sprinted past the house elf, yelling, ‘I know! Is everything still ready?’

The house elf Apparated to Harry’s room, continuing the conversation through the bathroom door as Harry showered quickly. ‘Everything is as you requested it. I had to use magic to extend the reservations you had made and have a cloaking charm for you to use while you and Mistress are out.’

Harry hurried out of the shower and grabbed the clothes he’d already set aside for the dinner. He had chosen a dark blue suit and a white button-down shirt underneath. He had bought a striped tie that had dark blue and green in it. He hadn’t worn a suit for a dinner before and dressed hurriedly. He checked a few times in the mirror to make sure he was presentable.

Kreacher bustled around him, urging him to hurry and finally said, ‘Master Harry – you can not be any more ready! Do not leave Mistress waiting!’

Harry nodded and took the bouquet of flowers Kreacher was holding out to him and said, ‘I’ll see you in a few hours, then. Thank you, Kreacher!’

Harry Apparated from his bedroom to the Burrow’s porch. He took a few deep breathes before knocking on the door. Harry was surprised to see Ron answering the door, looking like he had just woken up. Instead of letting Harry into the house, he stepped out onto the porch. ‘I was wondering when you’d get here.’

Harry cringed. ‘How angry is she with me?’

‘What?’ Ron asked. ‘Oh, no, she’s not upset about you being late.’

‘Why not?’ Harry asked. He gave his friend the once over again and couldn’t tell, but knew something was amiss.

Ron just shrugged. ‘No reason.’

Harry stood there quietly and then said, ‘Are you going to let me in or not?’

Ron didn’t move but said, ‘Harry…’

Harry started to push Ron out of the way, not wanting to hear some lame excuse for why he couldn’t see Ginny and Ron put his arm out. ‘Give her a few minutes. She knows you’re here.’

‘How can she know?’ Harry didn’t like where this was going and narrowed his eyes.

Ron put his hands up. ‘Come on, Harry.’

Harry sighed and took a step away from the door, avoiding Ron’s gaze. After about ten minutes, the door opened and Harry was disappointed to see Percy emerge, whispering something to Ron and giving Harry a blank stare.

Harry took a step forward and Percy walked out onto the porch. ‘Harry. Didn’t think you’d make it tonight.’

Harry glared at him. ‘I wouldn’t miss it for the world.’ He took another step forward, ‘Is she okay?’

Percy’s expression softened. ‘She’s fine.’

‘Then why am I still standing outside?’ Harry asked.

Percy shrugged. ‘Couldn’t say…I’ll go check and see if she’s ready to go.’

‘Thanks, Percy.’ Harry watched as Percy left him on the porch with Ron. Ron didn’t meet his gaze.

‘We’re having a slight…well, things need taking care of,’ he finished lamely.

Harry narrowed his eyes. ‘Is this about George?’

Ron didn’t change his expression and the door opened again, this time Ginny emerged. She smiled weakly at Harry and was looking absolutely gorgeous. Harry couldn’t contain himself and let his jaw drop. ‘You look absolutely amazing.’

‘Happy seventeenth.’ He leaned down and kissed her on the cheek, before presenting her with the flowers he’d brought. ‘Is everything alright?’

She nodded and said, ‘Thank you, Harry, these are beautiful.’ She looked over at Ron. ‘Can you put these in some water and put them in my room.’

He nodded. ‘Don’t stay out too late.’

Harry watched as Ron retired and Harry took Ginny’s hand in his, squeezing it. ‘Are you sure that everything’s okay…I don’t want to pull you away from something…’

She sighed. ‘There’s always something, Harry. You told me we’d ignore the background noise for one evening.’

He smiled at her and said, ‘I did say that, didn’t I?’

She nodded and wrapped her arm around his waist. He couldn’t stop smiling and shut his eyes. ‘One second and we’ll almost be there.’

He could feel her shut her eyes and Apparated them to a secluded location not far from Grimmauld Place. He hailed a Muggle taxi and helped her in. She giggled. ‘I don’t think I’ve ever rode in a Muggle taxi.’

He grinned. ‘I promise this isn’t the highlight of our evening.’

‘Even if it is, this is still fascinating. I bet dad would love this!’ She kept peering out of the window, staring at the traffic flying by them. Harry laughed softly. He knew they’d ridden the Knightbus together before, but Muggle transport was different than magical transport.

The taxi stopped in front of a posh Muggle restaurant and Harry paid the driver before pulling his wand out and placing a cloaking charm on both of them. She looked at him questioningly and he shrugged. ‘I am an Auror-in-training.’

She nodded and they both walked into the restaurant. He gave his name to the host who seated them in a secluded area in the back of the restaurant. Ginny poured over the menu, uncertain about what to get. Harry had gotten the menu in advance and already knew what he would order.

They ordered and Harry spent most of the dinner telling Ginny about the various activities Gaunt had put him, Ron and Neville through. Ginny smiled and stayed attentive, interjecting questions when appropriate.

Harry was able to steer the conversation back to her and asked about her plans for her final year at Hogwarts. She had been corresponding with Hermione since Harry’s birthday.

‘Hermione thinks that I am going to have to fill the entire team. I think I was one of the youngest players on the last team we had.’ She sighed. ‘And Hermione is getting really nervous about her role as Head Girl.’

Harry laughed. ‘You’re not surprised by that, are you?’

‘No, not in the least.’ She smiled. ‘I’m really getting to know Hermione more. Should be interesting not having you and Ron there.’

Harry raised his eyebrows and said, ‘I just hope you two can keep an eye on one another and help each other.’ He leaned forward. ‘Last time I talked to her, she sounded a bit depressed about going back with only ‘one’ friend.’

Ginny looked at him inquisitively. ‘Me? But she is one of the Hogwart’s heroes, she can’t think she hasn’t any other friends.’

Harry nodded sadly. ‘I worry about her more than I worry about you.’

She laughed. ‘You don’t have to worry about me, Harry.’

‘I don’t?’ He raised his eyebrows at her. ‘Look at you – blokes are going to be chasing you down.’

She shook her head. ‘Please tell me this is the most jealous you’re going to get.’

He shrugged. ‘I don’t feel like I’ve been tested yet.’

She didn’t say anything, but gave him a hard look. He put his hands up quickly. ‘I’m not trying to argue with you…but if I were a little jealous I don’t see that hurting. Isn’t it nice to be wanted?’

He gave her a pleading smile and she relented. ‘Just don’t let it get out of control, Harry. I already know I can’t handle that.’

He nodded and watched as the dessert he’d pre-ordered arrived, much to Ginny’s surprise. She balked at the candle-filled cake that came to the table.

Harry leaned forward. ‘Make a wish and blow the candles out.’

Her eyes reflected the light and Harry could have sworn that she looked overcome with emotion. She shut her eyes before gently blowing the candles out. The waiter took the cake away only to return a few minutes later with slices for each of them.

She looked up at him. ‘Harry, this is starting to remind me of your birthday. This is all too much.’

He smiled. ‘I wanted to do something you’d never done. I’m guessing I’ve succeeded.’

She smiled at him, nodding. ‘I never expected this. Especially…’

She stopped, clearly not wanting to remember what she’d left at home. He reached his hand across the table, squeezing her hand. ‘Leave it at home, love.’

She didn’t meet his eyes but picked at the cake for a few minutes. Much to Harry’s chagrin he caught a red head walking towards them. Ron kept his gaze down and Ginny looked up suddenly, her eyes wide.

‘Ron! What are you doing here?’ She asked urgently.

He faltered for a moment. ‘I’m really sorry, Ginny…Harry. Mum and dad think it would be best if you two wrap this up and come home.’

Ron put his hands up quickly. ‘No, they want Ginny to come home and…’ He didn’t meet Harry’s eyes nor complete his thought.

Harry looked down, knowing fully that this meant he was not welcome at the Burrow right now. He looked up to see Ginny looking imploringly at Ron. Ron shook his head. ‘I’m really sorry. I thought it would be best if it were me coming…’

Harry nodded mutely. He gestured to the waiter who had the rest of the cake waiting in a take away bag. The waiter brought it forward, resting it in front of Ginny. He smiled and left the table.

Ginny tried to speak light-heartedly, ‘That isn’t for you, Ron.’

She got up slowly and looked consolingly at Harry. ‘Harry, this has been absolutely wonderful.’

Ron, noting the tension at the table walked back to the front of the restaurant, leaving the two of them alone. Harry stood up with Ginny and said, ‘It was my pleasure.’

He reached his hands out to hers and pulled her into his arms. ‘I have your gift, but I’ll have it sent to the Burrow.’

She looked up at him. ‘Harry, you’ve already done too much. I don’t know how comfortable I feel about you giving me all these gifts.’

He bent down and kissed her forehead. ‘Don’t be absurd. It makes me feel like I have some use if I can do something that might bring a smile to that gorgeous face of yours.’

She blushed and whispered something into his chest that he didn’t hear. She stood in his arms for a few moments before pulling away. ‘Harry, this has been amazing. You are by far the sweetest boyfriend I’ve ever had.’

She leaned up and kissed him again before stepping away, grabbing the bag with the cake and walking towards Ron. Harry stood there for a few moments before sighing, paying the cheque and leaving.

Once he arrived home, Kreacher gave him a questioning look. ‘Shall I send the gift, Master Harry?’

Harry nodded. ‘Please do. Thank you.’

Harry sadly trekked up the stairs to his room. The date he had been looking forward to for two weeks was over and he didn’t feel any better about his relationship with Ginny. He went to sleep heavily, hoping that the next day would be more restful than the last.