Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Harry woke up early the next morning and saw a letter from Ginny waiting for him in the kitchen. She thanked him again for a lovely evening and seemed to be lost for words as to what to say about the gift he’d sent. He hadn’t know what to get her, and Kreacher had found a fair bit of Quidditch coaching guides for her. He’d sent that over with a box of her favourite sweets including Chocoballs, Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans, Fizzing Whizzbees and Drooble’s Best Blowing Gum. He smiled thinking back of the previous night, but was quickly jostled back to himself when Kreacher nudged him.

‘Master Harry. You will be late, you must leave soon.’ The house elf bowed solemnly and Harry glanced at the clock realising the time and flew out of the kitchen to his own room to get ready. He ran back through the kitchen and quickly Flooed to work.

He managed to get to work without being late and found Gaunt hollering at Neville about something before turning abruptly and scowling at Harry. ‘Look what the Kneazle dragged in.’

‘I’m not late, sir.’ Harry stated. He knew he wasn’t late.

Gaunt laughed. ‘Didn’t say you were.’ He glared at Harry and continued, ‘Did you have a ‘magical’ evening, then?’

Harry knew not to argue with him. ‘It was wonderful, thank you for asking.’

Gaunt narrowed his eyes. ‘I see the training is coming in handy. I didn’t see any images of you in the Prophet this morning.’

Harry nodded curtly and stood his ground. Gaunt waved his hand dismissively. ‘Get to work. Help Longbottom out. He needs it.’

With that Gaunt left the room slamming the door on his way out. Neville looked sadly at Harry and said, ‘Sorry you had to see that, Harry.’

Harry walked over to Neville’s desk and said, ‘No problem, Neville. What can I help you with?’

Neville sighed. ‘I can do it.’

Harry shook his head. ‘He told me to help you. Don’t let him force you to be alone. As Aurors, we’ll be alone as it is but we still have a team to fall back on.’

Neville eyed Harry nervously. ‘I’m not getting some of these defensive spells. I don’t know why I’m so thick!’

Harry smiled at him. ‘Don’t be stupid, Neville, you’re not thick. These spells are really hard. And to be fair, Ron and I had Hermione with us last year; she knows the techniques like the back of her hand.’

Neville nodded and pushed a piece of parchment across the table. Harry eyed the list and smiled. ‘This’ll be easy, Neville. Let me just find the right books and you’ll be set in no time.’

Neville grinned at Harry. ‘Thanks, Harry; you’re a real life saver.’

Harry nodded. ‘It’s really no problem, Neville. We need to help each other get through this.’

Harry and Neville both lost track of time and it wasn’t until a few hours later that Harry realised Ron hadn’t come in yet. He looked at the clock and stopped instructing Neville, saying, ‘Where’s Ron?’

Neville shrugged. ‘Gaunt said something about an emergency at home.’

Harry looked at Neville in alarm. ‘Why didn’t you tell me sooner?’

‘You didn’t ask. Besides, he’s your best mate, I thought you knew.’ Neville looked sheepishly at Harry.

Harry sighed and cleared his mind before sending a Patronus to Ron. He thought about sending one to Ginny, but grabbed a piece of parchment and began jotting down a quick note to her. He didn’t realise, but he’d signed the letter ‘love, Harry.’

Only after the letter was taken by a Ministry owl did Harry realise his gaffe and groaned. Neville smiled at him. ‘Sorry about that, Harry.’

Harry shook his head. ‘No, really, its fine, Neville. Maybe at lunch I can…’

He couldn’t go there. Ron had told him point blank he wasn’t welcome at the Burrow. At the same time, if it was something so important Ron couldn’t be at work, they might need his help.

Neville broke into Harry’s thoughts, ‘I’m sure they’re fine, Harry. Mr. Weasley is a highly trained Ministry official and Mrs. Weasley is a brilliant witch.’

He knew Neville was right. If they needed him, he could go at a moment’s notice. But to just appear on their doorstep would, most likely, be unwise. He tried vainly to concentrate on his work, but quickly realised he’d never be able to get anything done not knowing what was wrong with the Weasley family, his family.

As lunch approached, Harry eyed Ron’s desk nervously and said absently, ‘Maybe I should go and see if they’re okay.’

Neville looked doubtfully at Harry. ‘I know you’re worried, Harry. But I’m sure they’re fine.’

Harry set his jaw and shook his head. ‘Would it hurt to Apparate there?’

He didn’t expect Neville to respond. Neville chimed in quietly, ‘Well, I don’t know, Harry. It might not be a good idea.’

Harry looked curiously at Neville. ‘What do you mean?’

‘Just…’ Neville looked away nervously. ‘I don’t know, Harry. I know what happened on your birthday and I know you care about them, but…I don’t know…’

Harry knew what Neville was trying to get at and sighed. ‘I know you’re right, but I hate not knowing.’

Neville sighed. ‘Why don’t you send Hermione a Patronus?’

‘But I don’t want to worry her if she doesn’t know,’ Harry replied.

Neville shook his head. ‘There’s no arguing with you, Harry.’

Harry looked at the clock again and said, ‘I’ll just take my lunch running over there. I’m sure it’ll be fine.’

He guessed it would probably be far from fine, but he wanted to make sure she was okay. He groaned inwardly. He wanted to make sure they all were fine. He sighed looking at one of the pictures he’d clipped out of The Daily Prophet of himself and Ginny and smiled. He couldn’t control how he felt about her.

As lunch approached, he used the Floo network to go to Diagon Alley and then Apparate from there. Once he arrived he noticed the silence. It was as if there was a shield around the place. As he got closer something shimmered around him and the front door flew open. Ron came running out and stopped short seeing Harry. Ron looked exhausted and Harry was shocked to see Hermione following Ron out the door, sharing the same expression Ron had only a moment before.

‘Is everything alright?’ Harry asked cautiously.

Ron looked at the ground and Hermione placed a hand on his shoulder. She asked, ‘Harry, what are you doing here?’

Harry took a tentative step forward as Hermione waved her wand resetting the wards that Harry had walked through. ‘You didn’t answer my question first.’

‘I think it’s obvious…’ She trailed off and Harry looked at the ground guiltily. They didn’t want him here.

He started to turn away when Ginny emerged from the Burrow. ‘Ron, was it –’

Her eyes went wide and Harry couldn’t help himself and smiled broadly at her. She pushed a tuft of her hair away from her face and said quietly, ‘I didn’t expect to see you…how are you, Harry?’

She looked extremely nervous and Ron and Hermione both followed Ginny’s tentative steps forward. Hermione reached a hand out, grabbing Ginny’s arm and pulling her back towards the house. Ginny and Hermione locked eyes for a few moments before Ginny relented and stopped moving.

Harry raised an eyebrow. ‘What the bloody hell is going on that you’re not telling me about?’

Ron reached around Hermione and squeezed Ginny’s arm once before turning away without another word. Ginny looked imploringly at Harry but was quickly led away by Ron. She didn’t turn to look at him again. Harry took a step forward but Hermione stood in his way.

‘Harry…’ He continued forward but she put her hand on his chest and stopped him. ‘Harry, listen to me, you can’t be here right now.’

‘What?’ He was staring at the Burrow. ‘Hermione, have you gone mental? Something’s the matter and you’re not going to let me help?’

‘It isn’t my call, Harry.’ She tilted her head and said, ‘Harry, they love you like a son, like you’re part of the family. But they can’t take care of things and worry about your safety.’

He bristled. ‘I can take care of myself, thank you.’

He was pushing her back and she put both of her hands on his chest and said forcefully, ‘Harry. No. You can, I’m sure. But you can’t help.’

Harry gave her a sullen look. ‘And you can?’

She pushed him back, edging him away from the Burrow. ‘Yes, I can. And I’m not endangering myself or the ones I care about by being here.’

Harry crossed his arms and stood stock still. ‘Just tell me why I’m such a menace.’

Hermione didn’t look at him but turned away. ‘It isn’t my place.’

He turned harshly to her, grabbing her and turning her roughly towards him. ‘Do not make me feel worse about this, tell me what the bloody hell is going on!’

He didn’t realise he was yelling and her eyes went wide, then narrowed quickly as she shot back. ‘Don’t yell at me, Harry! I am not the one who’s hiding this from you…’ Her tone softened, ‘I don’t mean to, Harry…this has just gotten a lot tougher for the whole family.’

Harry sighed and let go of her arm. She rubbed her shoulder where he’d grabbed her and he said quietly, ‘I’m sorry…I just feel like such a git.’

She wrapped an arm around his shoulders and said, ‘Harry, I wish I could tell more…but I think Mr. and Mrs. Weasley don’t want anything to affect you anymore than it already has.’

He half-turned to the Burrow and said, ‘Can’t I at least talk to her?’

Hermione looked away. ‘Harry…I think it’d be best if you went back to work. I’ll let her know…’

Harry looked back at the house forlornly and knew Hermione wouldn’t let him get any closer. He thought about running for it, but knew she was too quick. He shook his head and thought about the entire Weasley household seeing him tied up and sighed, slumping his shoulders.

‘Can I send her a Patronus?’ He asked quietly.

Hermione shook her head. ‘Just leave it alone, Harry, please.’

He nodded and repeated, ‘I’m sorry, Hermione…I didn’t mean to…’

She patted him absently on the arm. ‘I’m fine, Harry.’ She grinned at him. ‘I’ll have Ron take care of it.’

He smiled and said, ‘I…alright…let her know I…’

She nodded and nudged him forward. He sighed and Apparated back to Diagon Alley and then Flooed back to the Ministry. As he got back to his office he saw Neville being railed at again by Gaunt. Gaunt turned his gaze to Harry and narrowed his eyes. ‘If you have questions, you ask me. You do not Apparate all over England where-ever you please. Both of you had better stay in this office until all your work is done.’

Harry shot Neville a worried look, but Neville gestured back to their office. Before sitting down Neville asked, ‘Ron and Ginny okay?’

Harry sighed. ‘I don’t think so. Something’s going on…but you were right about one thing, I should have sent a Patronus or letter to Hermione. She was there.’

Neville looked up. ‘I thought Ron said her parents wanted her with them?’

‘Thought so too…’ He sighed and returned to his work. He didn’t want to think about the whole situation. He had never felt so unwelcome at the Burrow. And to make matters worse, he wasn’t even able to talk to Ginny. Hermione had ushered him out of there like he had the plague.

He finished up the work he had late into the evening, and found Neville had fallen asleep on his desk. He gripped Neville’s shoulder and shook him. ‘Neville, it’s time to go. We can pick this up tomorrow.’

Neville looked up at Harry with blurry eyes and said, ‘Yeah…’ He stood up slowly. ‘I fell asleep?’

Harry nodded. ‘I’m surprised I didn’t. I’m surprised Gaunt didn’t come in here to give us hell either.’

Neville stretched and grabbed his cloak. ‘Hope Ron comes back tomorrow.’

Harry nodded. ‘You and me both.’ He headed for the door. ‘I’ll see you tomorrow, Neville.’

Neville waved absently at Harry, and Harry made his way back to the main corridor of the Ministry. He sighed heavily as he Flooed home, replaying his brief conversation with Hermione. As he burst through the grate at Number 12 Grimmauld Place, Kreacher greeted him nervously. He had set dinner, but was fidgeting. He bowed low and tried to say something as the door to the kitchen swung open and Harry was shocked to see both Ginny and Hermione walk in, stopping suddenly at seeing him.