Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This was one of my favourite chapters to write. I hope you all enjoy it too. A big thank you to my fab Beta Ginny! You're awesome! Thank you for continuing to read and comment everyone!

Harry’s eyes widened at seeing Ginny and Hermione and he tried to control himself but dropped the book he was carrying. He balked and bent down to pick the book up, this vantage point giving him an amazing view of Ginny from the floor. He flushed as he stood up again. They stood there silently for a moment, Hermione lingering behind Ginny.

He smiled weakly at her and set the book on the counter. ‘Sorry about this afternoon…’

He didn’t know what to say and couldn’t help but notice the overly vigilant watch Hermione was keeping on Ginny. He took a step forward and Ginny threw out any inhibitions and crossed the short distance between them, throwing her arms around his neck and embracing him fiercely. He shut his eyes and grinned into her shoulder. This was the Ginny he knew and had fallen in love with.

She pulled away slightly. ‘Harry, don’t be sorry. It’s been a mess since…’ She turned away and looked back at Hermione. The latter shrugged and sat down at the table. Harry hadn’t realised, but the table was set for three. Apparently they had been waiting for him.

He slowly loosened his grip around Ginny and took her face in his hands. ‘Are you okay?’

She nodded and he kissed her softly, lingering a moment before she shifted her weight back. ‘I’m fine, Harry. We’re all fine, for the most part…’

Hermione cleared her throat and Ginny sighed and looked away from Harry. He leaned down and said, ‘Are you going to tell me what’s happening? Or do I have to guess?’

She looked up slowly and replied, ‘I can’t, Harry, mum would kill me…’ She grinned and nodded towards Hermione. ‘Besides, Hermione’s here and won’t let me say anything.’

‘Hey! If I hadn’t volunteered you wouldn’t be here at all!’ Hermione shot back. She was smiling at them and she rolled her eyes as Ginny trailed her fingers down Harry’s arms playfully. She pulled away and sat down at the table next to Hermione and Harry stood there for a few moments uncertain what to do.

Ginny raised her eyebrows at him and said, ‘Harry, Kreacher made you dinner, the least you can do is sit down.’

‘I’m wondering what’s going on…it’s hard to concentrate on food when I’m…’ He didn’t complete his thought and Hermione and Ginny exchanged worried looks. Kreacher stood in the doorway wringing his hands.

‘Kreacher…’ Harry started. ‘It’s fine. They’re my friends, you needn’t worry.’

Hermione’s eyes widened and she turned to Kreacher. ‘He wasn’t worried about us. Was someone else here? Is someone else here?’

Kreacher shook his head. ‘He left some time ago. But he was here some years ago, he was a welcome guest then, I thought nothing of it.’

Hermione grilled Kreacher. ‘Did he take anything? Was he looking for Harry?’ She got up and bent down in front of the house elf. ‘If you see him again, you can’t let him stay.’

Harry crossed the room quickly standing behind Ginny’s chair. She had turned in her chair but hadn’t gotten up. Harry was watching the exchange and said, ‘Who was here?’

Hermione looked as if she were trying to will Kreacher to say nothing, but Harry was his master and he replied slowly, ‘Mister George Weasley, he was looking for you and Mistress Ginevra.’

Ginny got up quickly, the chair knocking into Harry. He reached an arm out to her but she blew past him. ‘He was here? When?’

Kreacher bowed low to her, and Hermione had a questioning look on her face when the house elf did this, but said nothing. They all watched expectantly as Kreacher said slowly. ‘He was here earlier, about noon, Mistress. But he left quickly after asking me if you or Master were here. I said ‘no’ and he was displeased. Did I speak out of turn, Mistress?’

Hermione shot Ginny a warning look and the latter replied, ‘No, you did exactly the right thing. But Hermione is right, if he returns you can’t let him stay here. Send him back to the Burrow. Use force if you must.’

The house elf nodded. ‘As per your request, Mistress.’

He bowed low once again and Harry crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes. ‘How long has he been on the run?’

Ginny was scanning the floor as if thinking what to do and Hermione put a hand on her shoulder. ‘I’ll send Ron a Patronus; your parents need to know about this.’

She sighed. ‘It won’t help…he’s long gone…’ She looked up slowly at Harry, her hands hanging loosely at her side. ‘Harry, I’m so sorry…I…’ She turned to him as Harry saw Hermione step out of the kitchen.

He took her hands in his and looked at her encouragingly. She continued slowly, ‘He was out last night, before we left for our date. Mum didn’t want me to go with you, but dad thought you’d get too suspicious. He ran off during our date, that’s why Ron came and got me.’ She looked down at their hands and whispered, ‘Merlin, I’m so sorry, Harry…I didn’t want to hide this from you.’

He leaned forward and kissed her forehead. ‘Forget about it. Is there anything I can do?’

She shook her head but leaned into him, resting her head on his chest. She whispered, ‘I wish this would all go away…I thought…’ She pulled away and looked up at him, a sad look on her face. ‘I thought I’d finally be able to really mourn…but…’

Her eyes were brimming and Harry took her face in his hands and kissed her deeply. He wrapped his arms tightly around her and rubbed her back soothingly. She leaned heavily against him and he could feel her relax against him. ‘You should be able to do that now…’

She looked up at him, the tears glistening in the corners of her eyes. ‘None of us has, Harry. It’s been like a horrible nightmare.’

She pulled away from him and turned away, but he reached his arms out, wrapping them around her waist. She sighed against him and leaned back. ‘I just want to go to school. It’ll be okay there, won’t it?’

He nodded, resting his head on her shoulder. He said hesitantly, ‘You’ll get the peace and quiet you need.’

She turned her head and said, ‘Harry, don’t make me feel guilty. I…I need this…’

He nodded slowly. ‘I know, I’m sorry…I’m just…’ He let go of her slowly and ran his hand through his hair. ‘I’m really going to miss you.’

She sat down heavily at the table and he sat down across from her, trying to catch her eyes. She looked down at the empty plate in front of her and Hermione came back into the kitchen.

Kreacher had been standing on the edge of the room and said, ‘Shall I serve the guests, Master Harry?’

Harry looked up suddenly and before he could reply Ginny said, ‘Don’t be silly, Kreacher, we can serve ourselves. This looks amazing. Thank you.’

The house elf bowed low again to her and Hermione watched the action closely. She looked as if she were going to comment on it, but leaned forward, took a couple rolls from the nearby basket and placed one on Ginny’s plate before offering the basket to Harry. Harry watched both Ginny and Hermione closely and said, ‘Did you get to talk to Ron?’

Hermione nodded. ‘He replied to my Patronus straight-away.’ She waited for Ginny to meet her gaze and continued, her eyes locked with Ginny’s. ‘He’s home. Bill found him. They’ve got him in his room and there are extra protections around the Burrow.’ She slowly turned to Harry. ‘I’m afraid that ends your surprise visits as well.’

Harry sighed but didn’t say anything, serving the dinner onto both Hermione and Ginny’s plates. Ginny and Hermione seemed to be having a silent discussion and Harry cleared his throat. Hermione turned to him. ‘That just means we…can stay for longer than we’d expected.’

Harry nodded and smiled. ‘How long were you waiting for me?’

Ginny didn’t meet his eyes and Hermione said, ‘We tried to time it right, but I guess you were staying late. We’ve been here for about an hour. You still haven’t done much to this place…’

Harry sighed. ‘I’m sorry; I’ve been a little busy.’

She nodded. ‘I noticed you’ve gotten some new books. Where’d you get them?’

He rolled his eyes and saw Ginny laughing into her hand. ‘Jealous?’

Hermione laughed. ‘What? I…that’s absurd!’ She tried to look grim but the grin was breaking across her face. ‘Sometimes you make me crazy!’ She shook her head and looked between Harry and Ginny. ‘I don’t know how you stand each other!’

Ginny reached a hand across the table and brushed her fingers across the back of Harry’s hand. ‘That’s fine, Hermione.’

Harry watched Ginny’s fingers move across his hand and was lost in the hypnotic movement before Hermione broke in. ‘Unfortunately, Ron says I can’t come back without you.’

Ginny gave Hermione a sceptical look. ‘What kind of request is that? He doesn’t want you to come back then?’

She was grinning at her friend and Hermione slapped her playfully on the arm. ‘Oh please! You know I can’t leave you alone with…well, I don’t have to say it.’

Harry looked up suddenly. ‘What? They still don’t trust me.’

Hermione looked up slowly. ‘Actually, Harry, you’ve been feeling an undue amount of guilt. They don’t trust either of you when you’re together.’

Harry looked up at Ginny and she nodded guiltily at him. ‘Perhaps I should have mentioned that earlier…’

‘You think?’ Harry couldn’t stay upset with her and grinned. ‘That does make me feel slightly better.’

He wrapped his fingers around her wrist and pulled her forward slightly. He leaned across the table and kissed her softly, before trailing his fingers down her wrist to her hand. She smiled at him and he smiled back at her. The discomfort he had been feeling for such a long time seemed to dissipate in a few moments and he felt relieved; as if a huge weight had been lifted from his shoulders.

Hermione sighed. ‘I’m not supposed to leave you two alone. But I could be persuaded to give you some time without skulking behind you…’

Harry rolled his eyes and Ginny shook her head, laughing. ‘Don’t tease us, Hermione.’

Hermione smirked at Ginny but didn’t respond. Harry sighed and watched as Hermione and Ginny once again exchanged meaningful looks. Harry sighed, ‘What is going on with you two? Something you want to tell me?’

Ginny laughed. ‘Yeah, Hermione and I are having an affair. I didn’t want to tell you.’

Harry shook his head. ‘When did you become such a tease?’

Ginny raised her eyebrows and looked at Hermione. ‘I’m not sure how that’s teasing.’

He sat back and shook his head. ‘I’m not getting myself into trouble with you. I’m not saying a word.’

Hermione laughed and shook her head. ‘You two are incorrigible! It isn’t any wonder –’

She stopped and didn’t see fit to continue. Ginny nodded. ‘I know, I know…we’ll control ourselves, I promise.’

Hermione rolled her eyes and said, ‘Promises from you, I’m wary of.’

Harry raised his eyebrows but didn’t say anything, watching the exchange closely. ‘Now I’m curious…what is going on between you two?’

Ginny and Hermione looked up at him and he looked down quickly. ‘I can’t have both of you glaring at me…’

Ginny’s eyes softened. ‘We’re not glaring. We’re fine…Hermione and I have just been spending a lot of time together…’

Hermione pushed Ginny in the back and started to laugh. ‘Don’t make it sound so sordid.’

Ginny giggled. ‘I think we’ve finally spent too much time together.’

‘Perhaps too much highly stressful time together,’ Hermione corrected.

Harry sighed. ‘At least now I know you’ll both have each other next year.’

Ginny nodded and started to say something as Kreacher bustled back into the kitchen. ‘Master Harry, the dessert is on the counter, please let me get it.’

Ginny turned and said before Harry could break in, ‘Kreacher, you really have to forgive both Hermione and I for breaking in like this. Please don’t go to any more trouble because of us.’

The house elf wrung his hands and bowed low again. Hermione raised her eyebrows and nudged Ginny at this. Ginny turned and gave her a questioning look. Kreacher bowed again and said, ‘Mistress, it is my pleasure to serve you and Master’s friends. You have but to call me and I will do whatever you request.’

Harry didn’t seem to notice the exchange between Hermione and Ginny and said, ‘It is much appreciated, Kreacher. But Ginny’s right, please don’t go to any trouble. We’re fine. And the dinner has been amazing.’

Hermione pulled Ginny back towards her and whispered something in her ear. Ginny blanched and gave Hermione a disbelieving look. Harry got up and carried the dessert to the table and set a few plates out before clearing his throat.

‘What are you two whispering about?’ He asked.

Hermione and Ginny didn’t turn but Hermione smiled and said, ‘Nothing, just girl stuff.’

‘Do you really think I’m that stupid that I’m going to believe that?’ He gave them both an incredulous look.

Hermione nudged Ginny and the latter responded, ‘Don’t be so paranoid, Harry. We’re not talking about anything important.’

‘Uh huh.’ He didn’t believe them in the slightest, but wasn’t going to force the issue. He served the dessert and watched as Ginny cringed.

‘Harry, I really don’t know that I can eat anymore,’ she confessed.

Hermione nodded. ‘Kreacher is really treating you to some amazing cooking. I still remember this from last year, but he’s improved a lot!’

Harry nodded. ‘I am really blessed to have him. Though,’ he gestured to Ginny, ‘I can’t say I haven’t been missing your mum’s cooking, either.’

Ginny smiled. ‘Normally I’d tell you to come over, but I think we all know that isn’t the best idea for either you or George.’

Harry nodded. ‘I understand. I do…and I’m glad…no, I’m relieved that I finally know, sort of, what’s going on.’

Hermione laughed. ‘I think you know enough not to worry so much anymore, right?’

He nodded. ‘Yes, Hermione. I won’t do anything…unpredictable for some time.’

She looked at her dessert warily and said, ‘I have to agree with Ginny, I’m feeling rather full.’ She gave them both the once over and said, ‘Perhaps I’ll take a short walk…can I trust you two not to do anything?’

Ginny grinned up at Hermione. ‘Yes, I told you we’ll be good.’ She leaned back and put a hand on Hermione’s shoulder. ‘I’ll be good.’

Hermione nodded. ‘That’s better.’

She got up and said, ‘I’ll be back in a bit.’

Harry got up quickly. ‘You sure you’ll be okay?’

Hermione shook her head. ‘Harry, I’ll be fine. No one’s looking for me.’

She headed out the door without another word and Ginny looked up at Harry. ‘You seem to be more worried than usual these days.’

‘I think it’s the Auror training. It’s keeping me on edge.’ He sat down and ate his dessert. Ginny slyly pushed her plate towards him. He rolled his eyes and ate her dessert as well saying, ‘Can’t let it go to waste.’

‘No, indeed,’ Ginny replied, ‘Merlin forbid that sweets should go to waste.’

He chuckled. ‘You know I have a sweet tooth.’

She nodded. ‘And you seem to think I do as well.’

She was smiling broadly at him and he replied, ‘You do.’

She started to get up and put the plates away, but he grabbed her wrist quickly, ‘I’ll do it. You’re the guest.’

Ginny looked at him nervously and said, ‘Come on, Harry, they’re dishes. I think I should be able to clean up when I’m here.’

As if by perfect timing, Kreacher Apparated back into the kitchen and said, ‘Mistress, please, do nothing, I will clean up for you and Master.’

The house elf bowed low again and Apparated out of the room. Harry squeezed her wrist and she relented and sat back down. He set his fork down and said, ‘I don’t want to waste this time with you eating…maybe we should go into the sitting room.’

She didn’t say anything but followed as he got up. ‘Are you sure we should just leave this?’

He nodded and pulled her forward gently. ‘Don’t be silly. You heard Kreacher. He said he’d take care of it and he will. I don’t think he likes it when you try to be domestic in my house.’

She laughed softly and let him lead her down the hallway to the sitting room. Harry wondered where Hermione had gone off to, but was thankful she’d allowed them a little time to themselves. He weaved his fingers through Ginny’s and pulled her onto the nearby couch with him. She sat next to him, her legs underneath her, and leaned towards him, their heads together. He kissed her softly and asked, ‘How was the rest of your birthday?’

She sighed and shut her eyes. ‘Stressful. Thanks to George, I won’t ever forget your birthday or mine.’

She turned suddenly and looked at him closely. She pulled her hand out of his and took his face in her hands. ‘You’re okay, aren’t you? I probably should have asked sooner…’

He nodded, enjoying the feel of her fingers gripping his face. She traced her thumb across his lips and leaned down and kissed him deeply. She was sitting up on the couch and Harry rested his hands on her waist, though he felt the urge to pull them lower. She loosened her grip on his face and broke their kiss slowly. He tried to lean up and catch her lips again but she gave him a thoughtful look and sat back down.

He looked at her longingly and said, ‘Are you okay?’

She turned her face from his and said quietly, ‘I don’t know anymore.’

He wrapped his arm around her shoulders, pulling her back against his chest. He rubbed her shoulders gently and said, ‘Shouldn’t you know?’

She nodded and sighed. ‘That feels brilliant.’

He grinned. ‘I do enjoy giving you a massage, the feel of…’ He trailed off as he brushed her hair from her neck and kissed the exposed area from her back up to her chin, turning her awkwardly in his arms. They both twisted at strange angles before Harry loosened his grip allowing her to shift and turn in his arms. She turned and wrapped her arms around his shoulders, resting her weight across his body and kissed him softly.

After a few short minutes of intense snogging, Ginny pulled away and grinned at Harry. ‘Can you even see anything with your glasses fogged up like that?’

He chuckled softly and ran his hands through her hair. ‘I need to do something about this poor eyesight. I would like to see you while I’m snogging you.’

‘So would I.’ She leaned close to him. ‘I’d really like to see those green eyes of yours when I’m this close to you.’

She leaned down and rested her head on his chest and whispered, ‘Please don’t make me go back.’

He sighed and rubbed her back. ‘I wish I could, love. But I’m turning into ‘undesirable number one’ again this year.’

She laughed softly into his chest and said, ‘You know, I still have one of those posters. It was one of those things I kept around to give me hope. I knew they hadn’t caught you if they kept making those posters and putting them up.’

He continued rubbing her back and said, ‘I feel so bad I put you through all of that last year…’

She sat up and rested her elbows on his chest. ‘I don’t think either of us had a lot of choice in the matter. Based on how you reacted on your birthday, I’m guessing I would have been one big distraction for you on the ground.’

He didn’t say anything but leaned forward and kissed her softly. ‘I’d never forgive myself if anything happened to you.’

She narrowed her eyes and pulled away. ‘Harry, I am capable of taking care of myself…’ She laughed and continued, ‘And apparently you as well.’

He nodded. ‘Maybe I should have brought you along for my own protection.’

A sharp knock on the door to the sitting room drew Ginny’s attention away from Harry. Hermione was standing in the doorway and said, ‘We should probably get going, Ginny.’

She sat up quickly and nodded. ‘Yeah, you’re probably right.’

She started to pull away from Harry but he grabbed her wrists and kissed her on her cheek, pulling her back towards him. Ginny elbowed Harry gently and said, ‘Harry…’

He chuckled and loosened his grip. ‘You saying my name doesn’t stop me from wanting to snog you.’

She sighed and stood up, letting him trail his hands down her arms to her hands. ‘I know, but it’s the only thing I can think of besides something less polite.’

She grinned at him and he laughed and stood up. He looked over at Hermione, smiled and echoed, ‘Yeah, thanks, Hermione. I…we…’ He looked over at Ginny, ‘we needed that.’

‘I know.’ She nodded and laughed. ‘You had that look of desperation earlier, I thought it incumbent upon me to do something about it.’

He grinned and crossed the room. He took Hermione’s hand in his and said, ‘You are a dear, dear friend.’

Ginny laughed and patted Harry on the back. ‘She isn’t going to give us any more time.’

‘It can’t hurt to try,’ he chuckled and relented. He watched as Hermione led the way back to the grate in the kitchen and she leaned against the counter. She raised her eyebrows at Ginny and Ginny sighed.

Ginny turned to Harry and wrapped her arms around him, embracing him. ‘Am I going to see you before I go?’

‘You tell me…’ He hugged her back and kissed her on the cheek. ‘Or if you can get away and come into London, we can do lunch or something…’

She nodded and turned away, her face darkening as she looked at the grate. Hermione stepped forward and placed an encouraging hand on Ginny’s back. She turned and smiled at her friend. ‘See you soon.’

Ginny leaned up and kissed Harry quickly before going to the grate and Floo’ing back to the Burrow. Harry looked expectantly at Hermione. ‘Thanks for keeping an eye on her…’

Hermione took a step towards Harry. ‘Things aren’t as grim as all that, Harry. Just…’ She smiled at him. ‘I know this is hard for you. And I know you want to feel guilty, but this was exactly what Ginny needed and I think that’s the important thing.’

Harry gave her a questioning look but nodded. ‘Thanks, Hermione.’ He reached an arm out and embraced his friend. ‘Give Ron my best. Will he be at work tomorrow?’

She shook her head as they pulled apart. ‘Probably not. I won’t know more until I get back to the Burrow. And my parents want me home, too. I’ll let you know what I know as soon as I get home. Take care, Harry.’

He watched as she threw Floo powder into the grate and disappeared into a burst of green flame. The table was already cleared and Kreacher Apparated back into the room. He started putting tea on and Harry soon realised he was still wearing his work clothes.

He hurried upstairs and put on more comfortable clothes before coming back down and reading The Daily Prophet and drinking his evening tea. He looked at the clock and realised it was much earlier than he’d thought and sat in bed for some time going over the events of the evening, hoping he could remember things as they were and forget the hardships that he and Ginny had gone through so recently.

He wondered about what was happening at the Burrow and also wondered why George would come to Grimmauld Place to find him. He wondered if George was trying to kill him, but now without any magical encouragement. He hoped that wasn’t the case, but didn’t have long to think on it as Kreacher brought Harry’s work from the Ministry up to his room and reminded him of his duties. Harry sighed and got to work, falling asleep with the books strewn across his bed.