Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: thanks to all of you that are still reading and commenting! Thanks to my fab Beta, Ginny! You're awesome :)

Harry was finally able to get a good night’s sleep and woke up refreshed the next day. He went into the Ministry early, but not before sending a note to Ginny about last night and then sending one to Hermione, hoping she’d have more information to share. He was surprised to see Neville already in and he trudged into the office reluctantly.

‘Were you able to get in touch with Ron last night?’ Neville asked.

Harry shook his head. ‘No, but Hermione and Ginny stopped by Grimmauld Place last night. They explained things…I don’t think we’ll be seeing Ron anytime soon.’

Neville looked worried and Harry continued, ‘I think things will be okay, but I do worry about them.’

Neville nodded. ‘We should be. I heard about George, but I am sure he’ll be fine.’

Harry nodded and sat down at his desk. He said under his breath, ‘I just hope they’ll all be okay…’

The day passed with little fanfare and Harry went home at the end of the day hurriedly. He was sad to see there was neither a letter from Hermione nor from Ginny. He asked Kreacher if there had been any visitors but he had indicated there had been no activity at home. Harry ate dinner quietly and thought about sending another letter to Ginny, but thought better of it.

The next few days passed in the same manner and Harry tried vainly to not get more agitated that there was no word from either Ginny or Hermione. He knew he couldn’t run to the Burrow, Hermione had made it clear he shouldn’t make any unexpected appearances. He also knew that Hermione would be true to her word when she got the chance.

The days passed and turned into another week and Harry finally got the sign he’d been waiting for. He arrived home and Kreacher immediately presented him with a letter from Hermione. He sat down heavily at the kitchen table and went over the letter a few times before he was able to take it all in.

Harry,

I am sorry I couldn’t write sooner. Things were a little crazy once Ginny and I got back to the Burrow. I just got home myself and my parents haven’t given me a moment’s peace. Ginny’s okay, and I think she was really relieved to get to spend some time with you. I am really glad you’re able to put aside what I can only imagine are conflicted feelings about George for Ginny.

I’m not sure what I can say without compromising the confidences I have been given by from the Weasley family. George shouldn’t be causing you or anyone else any trouble in the near future, but I think the stress around the Burrow couldn’t be thicker. Please don’t try to go over there.

Ginny got your letter while I was there, but I don’t expect her to get a chance to respond. I’m sorry, Harry. I wish I had something more positive to tell you, but unfortunately things aren’t going to get better for the Weasley’s anytime soon.

I think Percy is trying to arrange for George to be escorted to another country where he can relax and escape the constant reminders of what’s happened, but I have a feeling Mr. and Mrs. Weasley won’t go for that.

Ginny and I are planning on meeting early before the train leaves in a couple of weeks. I know it would mean a lot to Ginny if you were there to meet us. Please don’t be late, we’ll be meeting at eight in the morning at the train station.

Take care of yourself, stay safe and don’t worry!

Love,

Hermione

Harry sighed and took the letter in. Things weren’t better and there wasn’t anything he could do. He looked at the calendar in the kitchen and sighed again. Two weeks and he couldn’t talk to or communicate with his girlfriend. He quickly replied to Hermione’s letter, hoping he could get more information out of her. But knowing Hermione, what she told him was all she’d share.

The next two weeks dragged on for Harry as if he had a Time Turner and was forced to go over things again and again. Gaunt was relentless with his work and Neville and Harry were forced to pick up the slack with Ron’s continued absence. Gaunt made no mention of Ron having missed time but instead forced Harry to take much of those tasks over.

Neville had finally gotten a mastery of the defensive spells Harry had been helping him with them and they both took their NEWT in Defence Against the Dark Arts, passing it and their Charms and Herbology NEWTs as well. Harry was nervous that Ron hadn’t taken any of his exams, but didn’t have time to think on it. He and Neville were studying incessantly for their Transfiguration and Potions NEWTS.

Harry didn’t have time to think about the drama going on with the Weasleys as he and Neville studied long into the nights to get ready. Gaunt didn’t let up with other work while they were studying. He had assigned them cases that they’d need to investigate. Nothing in the field, but cases that allowed them to research what had been done and whether what had been done was the most efficient and appropriate action.

Harry received a short note from Hermione the day before she and Ginny were leaving for Hogwarts, and Harry cursed himself for not remembering it sooner. He had to take his last NEWTs that afternoon and didn’t have time to send Ginny a personal note, but asked Kreacher if it would be appropriate to send something over. The house elf complied immediately and sent something over on Harry’s behalf.

After the exams, he and Neville were finally able to breathe a sigh of relief. They had both passed all of their NEWTs and could officially start their training as Aurors. Gaunt gave them formal letters from Kingsley and told them they’d be reporting to new offices the following week. He made no mention of Ron and Harry was afraid to ask.

Harry sent Hermione a quick Patronus before having dinner and got a prompt response telling him where to meet her and Ginny. Harry was thankful the train was leaving on a Saturday so he would not miss work and tried to go to bed early, though feeling strangely nervous about the whole thing.

He rushed around the house the following morning and Kreacher was ushering him out of the door as early as he could. Harry arrived at the train station well before eight and grabbed a table in the back of the café. As per usual, Hermione arrived ten minutes to eight and grinned broadly at Harry. He got up and embraced her.

‘Hermione, it’s so good to see you. You ready for your term?’ He asked.

She nodded. ‘I can not wait!’ She pulled her trunk and things close to the table and continued, ‘I think this will be fantastic.’ She sighed. ‘I will miss you and Ron, but I think this’ll be a great year. I’ll be able to learn so many new things.’

Harry nodded. ‘Of course.’

‘Did you take your NEWTs, Harry?’ she asked.

‘I did – and both Neville and I passed. We’re starting our official training next week!’ Harry couldn’t hide his enthusiasm. He continued more slowly, ‘What about Ron? Gaunt didn’t say anything.’

Hermione looked around nervously. ‘I don’t know, Harry. Ron and I didn’t talk about it much. Really, we didn’t have a chance to talk at all. I spent more time with Ginny than with Ron.’

Harry laughed. ‘I would have gladly traded places with you.’

‘I’m sure.’ She laughed. ‘I have a feeling she would have preferred that as well.’

Her face brightened as she turned and said under her breath, ‘Speaking of the devil…’

Harry turned quickly and saw Ginny walking into the café. She looked exhausted, and he walked over to her, grabbing her trunk out of her grasp and bringing it to the table for her. He set it down, wrapped his arms around her and embraced her warmly. She returned the hug and kissed him softly on the cheek. She looked away from him and he kissed her softly before pulling a chair out for her to sit on.

She smiled up at him and then turned to Hermione. ‘How was the rest of your holiday? How are your parents?’

Hermione reached a hand out to Ginny and squeezed her hand. ‘Fine…No one came with you?’

Ginny shook her head and looked down. ‘No, they couldn’t get away.’

Harry looked nervously at Hermione but Hermione didn’t meet his eyes. She was looking intently at Ginny, but Ginny didn’t look up. Harry sighed and pushed his cup of hot cocoa towards her and said, ‘Here, drink this, it’ll make you feel better.’

She looked up at him with surprise and said, ‘What’s in it? Liquid courage?’

He chuckled. ‘No! It’s eight in the morning, Ginny! It’s just hot cocoa.’

She laughed softly and sipped the drink absently. Hermione didn’t break her gaze from Ginny but Ginny was clearly feeling bothered by it. ‘Both of you…stop looking at me like that. It’s fine.’

Hermione looked away guiltily and Harry said, ‘We’re just worried. I know I haven’t been able to get in touch with you since…well…for at least two weeks.’

She sighed. ‘I know; I’m sorry, Harry.’ She looked over at Hermione and smiled. ‘Ron’s been really missing you, but mum and dad haven’t let us out of the house for anything.’

Harry sighed and leaned back in his chair. He didn’t like where this was going and knew Hermione was most likely thinking the same thing. Ginny didn’t look like she wanted to say more and Harry looked helplessly at Hermione. The latter rolled her eyes and said cautiously, ‘I know this is stupid to offer, but is there anything we can do?’

Ginny looked up slowly and said, ‘Harry…I know Ron’s way behind at work, is there anything you can do to help him out?’

‘Of course. I can send over what I think he needs and what we’ve been studying, but Neville and I are done,’ Harry responded.

Ginny looked confused for a moment before grinning widely. ‘Oh, Harry – that’s wonderful news! I’m so proud of you.’

She leaned over and kissed him on the cheek quickly and Harry had trouble seeing straight as the words ‘proud of you’ rung through his head. Hermione cleared her throat to bring Harry back to the table and he smiled at them.

‘Thanks, Ginny. Neville was a great study partner, no offence, Hermione, and we were able to get through all five NEWTs.’ He smiled broadly at them both and continued, ‘So, yeah, anything I can do to help Ron I will.’

Ginny nodded and said, ‘I wonder if we should head for the train soon…’

Hermione looked at the clock and said, ‘No, we have time.’

She gave Ginny a questioning look but Ginny didn’t look up. Harry sighed and knew Ginny wasn’t going to say more. He knew all this time apart wouldn’t help their relationship, but knew there wasn’t anything he could do about it now. They’d be separated until her first Hogsmeade visit. Hermione stared imploringly at Harry and he shrugged.

Ginny laughed softly. ‘Oh come on, the two of you have to be able to talk about something besides my dysfunctional family.’

Harry laughed nervously and said, ‘Well, we’re both a little worried about you and only one of us can go with you on that train.’

He gave Hermione an annoyed look and she grinned at him. ‘Its not my fault you’re not coming with us.’ She laughed. ‘Though I am a tad jealous you’ve passed your NEWTs and I still have a whole year to learn about them.’

Both Harry and Ginny sighed at Hermione and Ginny rolled her eyes. ‘Are you going to make this a long year for me?’

‘What? Merlin, no! I’m just excited, aren’t you?’ Hermione gave her a look like she had two heads and Ginny shook her head at this.

‘Um, I don’t think I’m quite excited as you are.’ She smiled at her friend and continued, ‘If I can convert you to Quidditch maybe we can find a middle ground.’

They chatted for a few more minutes before Hermione jumped seeing the time and said, ‘We’d best get going, Ginny.’

Harry got up quickly and grabbed Ginny’s trunk from under the table. She reached for it but he grabbed her hand in his and squeezed it. She didn’t argue but let him lead her to Platform 9 ¾. Hermione hurried in front of them and Ginny laughed into Harry’s shoulder as she watched Hermione bound through the barrier.

‘You’re letting me go away with her? She’s mental!’ Ginny laughed.

‘I wish I could go with you, but I don’t think you’ll need ‘protection’ from Hermione. At least she’ll help you with your studies.’ He grinned at her and they walked slowly though the barrier.

Hermione was waiting for them on the other side and said, ‘Ginny, I have to head to the Prefect’s car, but save me a spot with you and Luna.’

Ginny nodded. ‘Do you want us to take your things?’

Harry nodded and said, ‘Just leave it. We’ll get it on the train.’

Hermione nodded and looked at Harry sadly. ‘I guess this is…goodbye.’

She actually looked upset and Harry let go of Ginny and wrapped Hermione in a warm embrace. ‘Hermione, I’ll see you in no time. Just take care of my girl, will you?’

Hermione laughed. ‘Only if you take care of my man.’ She looked nervously at Ginny and she gave her a consoling smile.

Hermione turned slowly and headed onto the train. Harry looked down at Ginny and they headed onto the train. Ginny found an empty compartment and Harry loaded both Ginny and Hermione’s things into it. Ginny reluctantly led her boyfriend back off of the train and looked up at him with a smile on her face.

She leaned up and whispered, her lips almost touching his, ‘I have been looking forward to this for two weeks.’

He kissed her deeply, pressing his lips hard against hers, feeling her fingers run through his hair and down his back. He pulled her as close as he could, but felt the deepening dread that he’d have to let go soon and not see her for some time. She gently pulled away though he tried his best to keep his lips on hers. She pressed her forehead against his and said breathlessly, ‘I’m really going to miss you.’

He nodded and kissed her forehead. ‘The last two weeks have been torture, how are we going to last for…’

He couldn’t finish and she smiled at him. ‘I’ll let you know when my first Hogsmeade visit is, but I think the…memorial…will come first.’

He nodded and brushed his lips across hers. ‘I’ll be there, barring Gaunt giving me something idiotic to do…’

He started to lean down again and she pulled away. ‘Harry, if you keep kissing me I’m going to miss this train.’

He grinned at her. ‘I can Apparate you to Hogsmeade.’

She sighed. ‘I still have to pass my Apparition exam.’ She rested her hands on his chest. ‘Harry, please don’t do anything dangerous.’

He gave her a surprised look. ‘Me? Gaunt won’t…’ He stopped, that wasn’t what she meant at all. ‘Ginny…if your family doesn’t want me around because it makes things worse, I won’t go there.’ He leaned down. ‘One of the reasons I want to be there won’t be there anymore, so you don’t have to worry about that.’

She laughed softly. ‘That is the one encouraging thing I can think of.’

He bent down and kissed her on the cheek again. ‘I…’ He wanted to say something meaningful. He wanted to tell her he loved her, but he thought she wasn’t ready to hear that. ‘If you need anything at all...’

He looked at her helplessly and she smiled. ‘Thanks, Harry.’

She started to walk away and he grabbed her arm. ‘Before I forget…’ He handed her a large envelope. ‘This helped me since my third year, and it gave me a lot of comfort last year. I…I think you might like it and find it useful.’

She started to argue but smiled at him. She looked at the envelope and turned it over in her hands. ‘Thanks, Harry.’ She started to board the train and turned around. She looked up at him, a look of sadness and remorse crossing her face.

He wrapped his arms around her quickly and lifted her off the ground. She giggled softly into his shoulder and kissed him on the cheek. ‘I shouldn’t have encouraged you.’

He grinned and lowered her back to the ground. ‘Or teased me.’ He kissed her softly, letting his fingers run through the hair he wouldn’t be able to touch for weeks and whispered, ‘Please make sure all the blokes there know you’re taken.’

She giggled softly and said, ‘Just remember, I don’t want to see any pictures of you and other women either.’

He let go of her slowly and said, ‘Only one woman I want to be seen with.’

She boarded the train slowly and he watched as the door was shut and Ginny stood on the other side. She wasn’t the type of girl that cried, but she seemed to be overwhelmed with emotion. If Harry didn’t know better, she almost looked relieved.

The train slowly left the station and Harry walked briskly with it, his eyes never leaving Ginny’s. He stopped a few metres from the end of the platform and watched the red train disappear into a billow of smoke. He hadn’t felt so sad and detached in a long time. Everything that made him happy had left on that train and he wished he’d had the courage to tell her he loved her, even if he didn’t know if she’d say it back to him.