Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This starts a very new story arc, hope you enjoy it! Thanks much to my Beta Ginny!

Ginny watched sadly as Harry followed the train as it left the station. He had been giving her the saddest looks she’d ever seen and it made her feel immensely guilty that she was so thankful to leave for school. He was right though. It wasn’t like her to run away from her problems, but things at home had degenerated into a living hell. She was worried about Ron the most. He was missing his chance to move on in life, but the issues with George wouldn’t go away quickly.

Ginny made her way back to the compartment Harry had helped her find and she saw Luna sitting quietly with the most recent issue of The Quibbler. She smiled to herself thinking how little Luna had changed in all the years she’d known her.

Luna looked up brightly. ‘Hello, Ginny! It looks like Harry is going to miss you fiercely this year.’

Ginny grinned. ‘I’m going to miss him too.’

‘He’s looking more grim than usual,’ Luna observed.

Ginny looked up sharply. ‘He was, wasn’t he?’ She didn’t know what to think about it, but felt that both she and Hermione probably had the same solemn looks.

‘Did something happen after Harry’s birthday?’ Luna asked.

‘Well…things are under control now.’ Ginny eluded Luna’s inquisitiveness and was thankful that her friend went back to her newspaper.

She sighed and let Crookshanks out of his carrier. The cat roamed around the car once before settling in Ginny’s lap. Ginny had missed seeing the cat since Hermione had left it with her parents. She petted Crookshanks softly and the cat purred loudly.

Ginny slumped further into the seat and shut her eyes for a few moments. She woke up suddenly when she felt the warmth on her lap jump away from her. She opened her eyes slowly and saw that Hermione had returned. She was wearing her Hogwarts robes and was proudly displaying her Head Girl badge.

She grinned at Ginny. ‘Feeling alright?’

Ginny yawned and tried to cover her mouth. ‘Just feeling a bit tired.’

Hermione glanced at Luna who had looked up, but went back to her newspaper. Ginny knew Hermione wouldn’t say more in front of Luna, but she seemed to be dying to ask her what had happened at the Burrow.

They stared at one another for a few minutes, as if coming to an understanding before Ginny shook her head to clear it, and got up slowly. She paced out of the car, trying vainly to ignore Hermione’s irritatingly close watch on her, and turned back around.

‘I don’t know anything, Hermione. Stop looking at me like that.’ She grinned at her friend and Hermione started to laugh.

‘Fine, fine. I’m going to send Ron a letter. Think he’ll reply?’ she asked.

Ginny laughed. ‘I think we both know Ron better than that. But as you’re now his girlfriend, it’s more likely than not that he will reply to you.’

Hermione couldn’t suppress her grin and said, ‘I certainly hope so. I was getting worried when I didn’t hear from either of you for two weeks.’

She seemed to be testing Ginny for more information, but Ginny sighed. ‘It was not pleasant. I know Ron was dying to write to you, but it was a full-time job.’

Hermione nodded knowingly and said nothing more. The rest of the train ride was kept in relative silence, though Hermione took a few trips around the train keeping an eye on things. Ginny didn’t ask about who the other Prefects were, but knew the Head Boy was Ernie Macmillan, a boy from Hufflepuff. Ginny knew he had attended Hogwarts the previous year, but as with many students, was not able to complete his studies.

On a return from one of her many rounds, Hermione commented, ‘I am surprised to see so many students returning.’

‘It did seem as if The Daily Prophet was proclaiming the school unsafe,’ Luna interjected. She put her paper down and looked seriously at Hermione. ‘But father and I think that’s all rubbish. Why wouldn’t the school be safer now than before?’

Hermione shot Ginny a smile and said, ‘My thoughts exactly. Now we know where all the fallacies may lie and can fix them.’

Ginny nodded but tuned the conversation out. She ran her hand across the seat and realised she hadn’t opened the envelope Harry had given her. As she lifted it she heard Hermione comment, ‘I’m just glad the school is back open and I hope that this year is even better than I anticipate.’

Ginny turned back to her, lifting the envelope slightly. ‘Hermione, I have no doubt that you will make the best of this year.’

‘What have you got there?’ Hermione asked, eyeing the envelope.

‘Harry gave it to me before the train left.’ She smiled thinking of the intense snogging she had been receiving at the time and how much she was going to miss him.

Hermione narrowed her eyes. ‘That was his parting gift to you?’

Ginny smiled. ‘Yes. Though I think he’s given me far too many gifts.’

‘Aren’t you going to open it?’ Luna asked.

Hermione raised her eyebrows expectantly and Ginny didn’t feel the courage to disappoint them. She opened the envelope to find a bit of parchment inside. It was blank and she turned it over in her hands a couple of times. Hermione inhaled sharply and Ginny gave her an inquisitive look as she discovered a note within. Hermione didn’t elaborate on her exclamation and Ginny ignored her long enough to unfold the note and recognised Harry’s slanted handwriting.

Ginny,

I couldn’t think what to give you. I know you’re already over-loaded with enough, but this might come in handy. Fred and George gave this to me my third year at Hogwarts. If you ever need to know where people are on the Hogwarts’ grounds, this will let you know where they are at all times.

This is the Marauders Map – it was made by my father, Sirius, Professor Lupin and Peter Pettigrew. To have it reveal its secrets to you, tap it with your wand and say, ‘I solemnly swear I am up to no good’ and the map will appear. If you get caught with the map and can’t let that person see it, like Filch, tap the map with your wand and say, ‘Mischief Managed.’

Please be safe this term. Hermione should be a great help academically, but just remember, if any blokes ask, you’re taken.

I’m already missing you terribly.

Love,

Harry

Ginny smiled as she re-read the note and saw Hermione smiling back at her. Luna looked perplexed but seemed to note there was little chance Ginny was going to say more. Ginny folded the map up and was thankful to feel the train begin to slow down.

Hermione left Ginny alone with Luna to gather the first years and direct them to Hagrid as they would go in a different direction than the rest of the students, as traditionally they came into the castle crossing the lake in boats. Ginny grabbed Hermione’s things as well as her own and magically moved them off of the train. She could just make out Hermione’s silhouette as she and Luna grabbed a carriage.

Ginny didn’t have the ability to see the Thestrals until late in her sixth year. It was only during the Hogwarts battle that she had actually witnessed death and let it sink in. She had ridden the Thestrals in her fourth year to the Ministry of Magic, but hadn’t been able to see them then. Looking at them now, she was both terrified at their appearance and fascinated by them. She stepped towards one and it bucked its head back, but allowed her to pet it. The skin had a leathery texture to it and felt almost smooth to the touch. She patted the animal softly until she heard Luna call her name.

She turned slowly and boarded the carriage absently. Ginny kept Crookshanks with her. He had refused adamantly to get back into his basket and Hermione was off sorting out the first years with Hagrid. Ginny looked questioningly around. During her first year, Ginny hadn’t noticed if Percy had road a carriage or the boats towards the castle. She wasn’t certain if she should wait for Hermione, but as she started to ask Luna, Hermione and Ernie came walking quickly towards the last carriage that Luna and Ginny had been waiting in.

Hermione smiled up at them. ‘Thanks for waiting for us.’

Ernie nodded his agreement and commented, ‘Weren’t quite as many first-years as I’d expected.’ He looked at Hermione. ‘Did they not send out as many letters this year?’

Hermione shrugged. ‘I don’t know. Perhaps not as many people felt comfortable sending their kids away this year?’

Luna laughed airily. ‘That’s absurd! If anything, the school should be safer! Voldemort is dead and most of his followers have been taken care of!’

Ginny looked up surprised, not expecting an outburst from Luna, but Luna had a look of resolve about her that Ginny hadn’t seen since the battle. She nodded at her friend and said quietly, ‘Its unfortunate other people don’t see that.’

Hermione nodded at Ginny and reached out to take the cat out of Ginny’s arms. Crookshanks looked up, but didn’t show any signs of moving. Hermione sighed. ‘Do you mind?’

Ginny shook her head. ‘I’ve kinda missed him over the summer.’

Hermione grinned at her. ‘I’m glad you were able to have quality time with my cat.’

Ginny stroked Crookshanks and said, ‘I wish mum and dad had got me a cat. According to Muggle superstitions, cats are quite common for witches.’

Hermione nodded. ‘You’ve been reading Muggle stories?’

‘Dad has some books. He finds them fascinating. Plus, there’s some rogue wizard that wrote about the magical world with the Muggle world, Shakes-something…I can’t remember the name.’ Ginny looked at the sky thoughtfully.

Hermione laughed. ‘Its so funny, because growing up with Muggle stories, living in this world is…’

She seemed lost for words and Ginny grinned at her. Though she noted Luna and Ernie didn’t appear to show the same interest in Hermione’s thirst for knowledge. Ernie, to Ginny’s knowledge, was a pure-blood, as far as nine generations. He always seemed very intelligent, but also seemed to be full of himself, according to her. She knew he’d had a few run-ins with Harry during her first year, but much of that was due to Harry speaking Parseltongue.

Ernie started to talk to Hermione about proper protocol for the first years and Ginny happily watched the scenery on the way to the castle, paying them no mind. She barely felt Luna’s gaze on her, but did not turn to acknowledge it.

Ginny wondered what awaited them in the castle and held her breath as they approached the last turn on the road. She sat up as they approached the school. It was very much as she remembered it. If she hadn’t been in the battle herself, she would have never expected to see it in this condition.

The exterior of the castle was completely intact. Although some of the towers seemed to have shifted ever so slightly, the castle was exactly as she remembered it. She tore her gaze from it and was thankful to see Hermione, Ernie and Luna all having similar, awestruck expressions on their faces.

She caught Hermione’s gaze and knew the smile on her face was most likely reflected on her friend’s face. They stared at one another for a moment and Ginny said quietly, ‘I’m really glad we came back.’

Hermione replied quietly, ‘Me too.’