Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks for reading and commenting! And a big thank you to my Beta for setting me straight a lot of the time ;)

Harry had spent the next day pouring over the books Podmore had given him. The codes and laws were very specific. It seemed that, in conjunction with certain actions, virtually anything could be illegal and could warrant an arrest. He and Neville had met up after getting their new advisors and had been given similar tasks.

Neville had suggested they study together to get the most out of their time and on one such occasion they were staying late at the Ministry. Neville had taken one set of laws and Harry another. They would quiz one another on the various rules and see if the other could identify which law it would be in violation of.

Harry couldn’t have asked for a better partner. Although he had found Hermione to be brilliant at revisions and overall studying, Neville was an excellent replacement. Neville proved to be more organised than Harry had expected. He had a ‘to-do’ list for them that they had to fulfil daily. Harry was kept in line by Neville’s dedication. When he finally met with Podmore, he knew it would pay off.

Harry spent a lot of his time thinking about Hermione and Ginny being back at Hogwarts. There wasn’t a moment where he both wished he could be with them and still be doing what he was doing now. Harry was relieved that he hadn’t gone back. There were still so many memories he hadn’t sorted out since the battle and he had tried to avoid thinking about the memorial.

He and Neville had talked about it in passing. Neville had said he’d heard a rumour that it would occur early in the fall. They sat studying in their office during their first week and a sharp knock on the door announced they had a visitor. Neville called out, ‘Come in.’

Kingsley Shacklebolt entered and nodded at both of them. ‘How are you both handling things? I have heard very promising things from Mr. Gaunt, as well as from both of your advisors.’

Harry smiled. ‘Thank you, sir. I think both Neville and I are very appreciative of the opportunities we’ve had here at the Ministry.’

Neville nodded in agreement and Kingsley continued to smile. ‘I am very pleased to hear that.’ He crossed the room and took a seat at the table in the centre. ‘There was another reason I came down here.’

He looked at them for a moment and waved his wand, producing two pieces of parchment that floated to each of their desks. Harry started to un-roll his as Kingsley continued, ‘I’ll cut to the chase, gentlemen. I have been speaking with the Board of Governors for Hogwarts and we have decided to hasten the memorial for those lost during the Battle at Hogwarts.’

Harry tried to keep his face immobilised as Kingsley continued to discuss the details, ‘Since both of you are heroes of the Battle of Hogwarts and will soon be full-fledged Aurors, I expect both of you to make an appearance.’

They both nodded dumbly and Kingsley chuckled. ‘I don’t expect you to make any speeches. I would appreciate it if you were there for some photo opportunities. I think this could be a great time for the Ministry to show that we have things under control and things will be moving forward in a positive manner.’

Harry took a deep breathe and asked, ‘Are they, sir? Moving in the right direction?’

Kingsley smiled reassuringly at Harry. ‘I believe that they are, Harry. In a way, Voldemort did us all a favour by showing where our weaknesses lie. Now we know and are able to fix the way we operate. We have a much more thorough security check for all our Ministry employees and will be instituting even more checks as things become more secure.’

Harry nodded. ‘That is good to hear, sir.’

Neville said quietly, ‘It would be my honour to be there, sir.’

Harry kicked himself for not saying that sooner and chimed in, ‘Yes, of course, Neville’s right. It’s a great honour, sir.’

Kingsley nodded. ‘I hope you don’t think I am trying to take advantage of either of you, but I feel that this would be best for all involved.’

Harry and Neville both looked shocked. Neville said, ‘Why would we think you’d be taking advantage of us, sir?’

Kingsley sighed. ‘There has been some murmuring that the only reason we ever let any of the three of you to be hired was to parade you around.’

Harry grinned and started to laugh. ‘Only someone that didn’t know how hard this was would ever think this was handed to us on a ‘silver platter.’ Neville and I have worked very hard for this and wanted it.’

‘I know, Harry. I saw the marks you both received. Outstanding.’ Kingsley got up. ‘The memorial is in two weeks. I hope you will both be there promptly at nine that morning. And, please, refrain from visiting the school until then. Thank you.’

He smiled and headed out of their office. Harry looked over at Neville and sighed. ‘Looks like we are heading back to Hogwarts this fall.’

Neville grinned at Harry. ‘Based on the pictures in the Prophet, I’d argue you have something to look forward to!’

Harry looked confused and reached for the Monday edition and flipped through it, stopping at what he knew he should have expected. There in black and white was a picture of he and Ginny, embracing fiercely on the platform at the train station. He felt the heat rush to his face as he recalled the circumstances that had led up to that picture.

Neville cleared his throat. ‘Harry?’

‘Yeah,’ he replied slowly. ‘Sorry…yeah, you’re right, I do have something…someone to look forward to.’

Harry grinned broadly at this and knew he would reply to Ginny’s later straight-away. Neville continued talking as Harry mused, ‘I honestly can’t wait to be back. Even though this has been really exciting, I’ve missed studying. I want to get back to Herbology a bit. It is such a fascinating subject.’

‘Yeah, it is, isn’t it?’ Harry said absently.

‘I didn’t know you liked Herbology, Harry?’ Neville said.

Harry shook his head. ‘Wait, what? Um, yeah, it’s alright.’

Neville shook his head. ‘Why don’t you just clip it and put it on your desk with the other ones?’

Harry nodded. ‘I’ve asked Kreacher to find some frames so I can put them on my desk, and maybe one at home.’

Neville nodded. ‘My gran has a picture of all of us after the battle. She had it enlarged and its hanging in our entrance-way.’ Neville grinned at Harry. ‘I’ve never seen her so proud of me.’

Harry leaned back and looked at his friend. ‘Neville, I’m sure she’s always been proud of you.’

‘I don’t know, Harry.’ Neville looked up slowly. ‘I know my parents were heroes, Harry, but me? I never had the chance to do something that they’d be proud of until you started openly battling Voldemort.’

Harry looked at Neville intently as his friend continued, ‘And then, when things got bad last year, there were just a few of us from the DA. We tried to fight the good fight; Ginny and Luna were really in it. She got into a few scrapes with Crabbe and Goyle…I never knew how vicious they could be.’

‘Luna or Ginny?’ Harry asked.

Neville looked up with a red face and laughed. ‘Ginny. You know what kind of temper she has! They were hassling some student that wasn’t a Pure-blood and she took personal offence.’

Harry tried to act nonchalant but could feel his heart-rate quicken and his temper growing. ‘What happened?’

‘The important thing is we’re all fine now.’ Neville finished lamely.

Harry gave Neville a hard look and repeated, ‘What happened?’

Neville looked nervously at his desk. ‘Harry, Ginny, Luna and I made an agreement about not talking about what happened last year. I shouldn’t have said anything in the first place.’

Harry glared at him and said, ‘You can’t just drop something like that and not give me the full story!’

Neville stared right back at Harry, showing an uncharacteristic backbone and replied, ‘Yes, I can.’ He continued more slowly, ‘I know how much you care about Ginny, but if she didn’t tell you, then it isn’t my place to tell you in her stead.’

Harry said bitterly, ‘Thanks a whole bloody lot, Neville.’

Neville shrugged. ‘I’m sorry, Harry. I have to be respectful of Ginny’s wishes.’

Harry lowered his gaze and said nothing. He wasn’t sure if he was more furious with himself for losing his temper, Neville, for being so loyal, or Ginny, for not trusting him enough to tell him. He and Neville spent most of the day in silence.

As the day came to a close, Neville got up and said, ‘I’ll see you tomorrow, Harry.’

Harry nodded and said, ‘Yeah…and Neville…thanks…for being such a good friend to my girlfriend.’

He hoped he sounded sincere, but Neville just nodded and walked out of their office. Harry stayed at the Ministry for a little bit longer before heading back to Grimmauld Place. Kreacher had laid out a small dinner, as per Harry’s request, and he brooded for most of the evening, saying next to nothing to Kreacher.

He was sad that Hermione hadn’t replied to his letter, but imagined she’d been too busy with her new classes to have a spare moment to write. He set a piece of parchment on a book and sat on his bed for what felt like hours, but was closer to three-quarters of an hour.

The letter he’d received from Ginny was distant and terse. She had seen the most recent edition of The Daily Prophet and asked him, point-blank, if he knew about the publicity and why he had hidden it from her.

He was surprised she hadn’t seen anything earlier, but tried not to be overly offended by her candour. He finally hammered out a simple letter that told Ginny that he was worried about her and would be at the memorial in two-week’s time. He also apologised for not telling her sooner, but said he didn’t want her to worry more than she needed to. He hoped she’d find time to write back soon, but didn’t hold out hope. He knew he shouldn’t send her a Patronus, he didn’t know who’d be around when that message arrived. Harry sighed and gave the letter to Kreacher to send off the following morning.