Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry hadn’t heard back from Ginny in a few days, but had gotten a response from Hermione that Ginny had been consumed with all things Quidditch. The prospects for the new team didn’t seem all that promising. He tried not to feel too hurt by her choosing Quidditch over him, but in the same situation, he probably would want to make sure his Quidditch team were in order.

Podmore had quizzed Harry a few times on what he needed to learn, but had yet to take him on any true missions. As the weekend closed in, Harry was feeling lonelier. Ginny hadn’t replied to him, and the entire Weasley family was cut off from him as well. Harry’s only comforts were Kreacher and Neville.

He and Neville had taken to eating lunch and dinner together. Neville was proving to be an interesting companion. Previously, Harry had not spent much time alone with Neville save for his frequent rows with Ron, Hermione or both. He had spent the last few weeks with Neville, and this had strengthened their relationship more than either would have imagined back in their days at Hogwarts.

Hermione’s letter to Harry said that Ginny was busy with revisions and was going to be having tryouts for the Gryffindor team that weekend. Harry was surprised by how quickly she had set the tryouts up, but knew Hermione must have told her about the memorial. Harry had a sinking feeling that there would be lots of blokes trying out for the team and knew how gorgeous Ginny looked in her Quidditch robes.

Harry checked the calendar and realised that the tryouts would be that afternoon. What he wouldn’t trade to be there with her right now. He sighed and turned back to his paperwork. He and Neville had a meeting later that day and knew he couldn’t tear off to see Ginny and miss the meeting. Besides, he had been told, in no uncertain terms, he was not to go onto the grounds of Hogwarts.

Neville ran into their office a few minutes before the meeting. ‘Harry! There’s something big going on! We’d better hurry over and see what’s up!’

Harry jumped from his desk and followed Neville down the hallway to a large conference room. A large group of witches and wizards were milling outside of it. Harry cringed on seeing Gaunt standing at the doorway. ‘All of you need to get back to your offices. The reports of rogue Death Eaters have been grossly exaggerated.’

On seeing Harry and Neville, Gaunt locked eyes with both and gestured for them to come over. ‘See, it’s so unimportant, I’ll be sending our two newest Aurors to go investigate.’

Harry exchanged a surprised look with Neville, but followed him to the front of the group. The nearby wizards and witches were still milling around despite Gaunt’s announcement. Gaunt ushered them through the doorway and Harry saw a rather large map in the front of the room. A couple of wizards Harry didn’t recognise were standing at the front of the room, pointing to various locations. They turned and nodded at Harry and Neville and then turned back to their work.

‘Try not to be so excited to see me,’ Gaunt commented. Harry grimaced at this and tried not to openly roll his eyes.

Gaunt continued, ‘I’ll be borrowing your services for some surveillance. We know you’re no where near ready for action, but we need an extra set of eyes and you’re the last pair we have. Up for it?’

Neville nodded before Harry could reply and said, ‘Yes, sir. Tell us what we need to do.’

Harry stood stock still as Gaunt levelled his gaze at Harry. ‘And you, Potter? You think you’re ready?’

Harry nodded, but said nothing. Gaunt proceeded to hand them each a roll of parchment and told them to familiarise themselves with the individuals on the parchment and their crimes. He made it very clear that they must be caught in the act and it had to be rock-solid evidence.

He and Neville headed out the door. Neville walked slowly back to their office. Harry followed and pulled his coat on. Neville looked nervously at Harry. ‘Was I too eager back there?’

Harry shook his head. ‘No, not at all. I mean, we need to get some action in the field.’

Harry and Neville Flooed to Diagon Alley, meeting another Ministry contact who gave them further location details. Neville took the map out and he and Harry Apparated to a location far outside of London. He and Neville landed soundly in the countryside. They had to walk for about a half an hour to get to the location where they’d be watching their potential mark.

Harry and Neville headed into a local pub and took a seat at the bar. They were forced to spend the time chatting about nothing in particular. Harry couldn’t help but let his mind wander back to Ginny and the Quidditch she was playing while he was sitting with Neville drinking Muggle beer and waiting for their next piece of information to fall into place.

As the evening wore on, Harry started to feel unusually glum. It was as if something dark was falling all around him. Harry also felt strangely cold. He kept rubbing his hands together until Neville finally commented, ‘Harry, it’s blistering in here. Are you cold?’

Harry blew on his hands. ‘I feel weird.’

‘Are you feeling okay?’ Neville asked.

Harry tried to flex his right hand and felt like there was ice forming on his fingers. He stood up suddenly, lurching on his feet. Neville got up quickly and grabbed Harry, pulling him back down. ‘We’re supposed to be undercover!’

Harry shook his head. ‘I know! I don’t know…I don’t know…I feel cold all over.’

Neville shook his head. ‘If you can’t get it together, Harry, you need to get going.’

Harry nodded slowly. ‘I might…I might have to…’

Harry looked around confused and stood up slowly. He was shaky on his feet and Neville commented, ‘At least you look like you had too much to drink, this might help me get what we need.’

Harry nodded and said, ‘I’m really sorry, Neville. I don’t know what’s come over me.’

He headed around the back of the pub and looked around to make sure no one was watching. As an extra precaution, he hid behind a dumpster and threw his Invisibility cloak over his body. He concentrated hard and Apparated back to Grimmauld Place. Kreacher started at Harry’s entrance and exclaimed, ‘Master Harry! What are you doing here?’

Harry nodded slowly. ‘I think I’m coming down with something. I feel cold all over.’

Kreacher stepped forward quickly and said, ‘Master Harry, you seem in fine health to me.’

Harry eyed him curiously. ‘How can you be sure?’

Kreacher looked warily at Harry and said, ‘I believe the answer, Master Harry, is with your ring.’

Harry slowly looked down and realised Kreacher was right. The cold feeling was emanating from the ring. His mind stopped. The ring that was connected magically to the locket he’d given Ginny. He stood up quickly and felt the floor come crashing towards him. He took a few deep breathes and tried to recall what Hermione had told him. He needed to make a break from Ginny’s mind to control his own body. He wondered how Ginny had done this when he’d been attacked.

The cold was finally subsiding and he slowly got to his feet. ‘I’m going to head to Hogwarts.’

Kreacher looked mortified and said, ‘Master Harry, you are not supposed to return there for some time!’

Harry sighed and said, ‘If she’s in trouble, I have to help her.’

Kreacher looked around the room and said quietly, ‘Master Harry, if I may make a suggestion.’

Harry nodded and urged him to continue. ‘You should perhaps send a Patronus to Miss Hermione or the Headmistress.’

Harry had a feeling, where Ginny was, Hermione wouldn’t be far. He took a deep breath and cast a Patronus to Professor McGonagall. He waited fifteen minutes and started to prepare to Apparate when he got a Patronus in return, a silver cat telling him to use the Floo to come to her office, but not to worry.

Harry sighed and pulled his cloak on and tried to look slightly presentable. He headed towards the grate and Kreacher clucked his throat disapprovingly. ‘I do not approve of this idea, Master Harry.’

Harry stopped at the grate and didn’t look back at Kreacher. He headed through a burst of green flame and landed in the familiar office. Professor McGonagall had not changed the office much; the trinkets that Dumbledore had left behind still littered the shelves and tables. There were also signs of her feminine styles; flowers blooming and a soft fragrance wafting through the room. The office was much cleaner and brighter than Dumbledore had ever left it.

She greeted Harry warmly. ‘Mr. Potter, I would have liked to have a better homecoming for you, but you sounded rather insistent in your Patronus.’

He nodded and smiled at her. ‘Thanks, Professor. I really appreciate your letting me back on campus.’

‘I can’t say no to the man who defeated the greatest dark wizard of all time.’ She was beaming at him and said, ‘Dumbledore would have been so proud.’

Harry felt himself flush at this and nodded. ‘I hope so.’

She continued smiling but said, ‘I think it best we get you over to the hospital wing. Ms. Weasley is fine, Mr. Potter.’

Harry nodded and followed her down the many corridors to the hospital. ‘I hope so.’

There were no students in the hallway and this surprised Harry. He didn’t realise what time it was. Professor McGonagall motioned to the hospital doorway and said, ‘She and Ms. Granger are within. Please do not linger too long. Kingsley will not approve of your being here.’

Harry didn’t have time to think on her last statement as he entered the darkened room. Madame Pomfrey bustled towards him and said, ‘Mr. Potter, it seems your girlfriend has the same sense of adventure as you do.’

Harry gave her a worried expression and happened upon the last bed in the first row. He sighed in relief seeing Ginny appearing peacefully asleep. Hermione was slumped over in a nearby chair, keeping a watchful eye on her friend. Hermione shifted uncomfortably and blinked on seeing Harry.

She got up quickly, checking on Ginny once before walking towards him. She embraced him, the worry in her eyes unmistakable. ‘Harry, what are you doing here?’

He hugged her back and said, ‘I felt cold all over and Kreacher said it might have something to do with the ring and locket. I think he was right. What happened? Is she okay?’

He nodded towards Ginny and Hermione nodded slowly. ‘She’s okay.’ She kept her gaze on Ginny and continued, ‘She was brilliant. I…I really should have paid more attention when you showed us how to conjure a Patronus.’

Harry let go of Hermione. ‘Conjure a Patronus? She was attacked by Dementors?’

Hermione locked her eyes with his and nodded slowly. ‘Yes, they were on the pitch, above it actually. It was as if they were…waiting for her.’

Harry ran his hand across his eyes and took a deep breath. He never thought Dementors would return to Hogwarts. After the battle though, he wasn’t certain if they’d steer clear or not. He walked quietly to the edge of Ginny’s bed and took her hand in his. She stirred and turned her head slowly. He smiled and leaned over and kissed her softly on the cheek. She opened her eyes slowly and said sleepily, ‘Harry…what are you doing here?’

He smiled at her. ‘Checking up on you, love.’

She tried to sit up but looked utterly spent. ‘No worries,’ he said. ‘You’re a brilliant witch, you know.’

She grinned and leaned back heavily on the pillows. Harry sighed and watched her fall asleep once again. He turned to look at Hermione. ‘You look really exhausted. I can hang around for a bit longer, you should get some rest.’

Hermione shook her head. ‘You need to go. Harry, you shouldn’t be here. They’re making a big deal about the hero returning. This’ll ruin it if half the school sees you here.’

Harry narrowed his eyes. ‘You can’t honestly expect me to just leave?’

Hermione rubbed her eyes tiredly. ‘I don’t know that I can deal with you and Ginny all the time…you both are impossible!’

Harry raised his eyebrows at her outburst. ‘I guess we’ve all had a long day.’

He looked sadly at Ginny. He’d been missing her terribly and here she was. He bent down and kissed her softly. Even though she was asleep, he could still feel her react to him. Her lips were so soft. He rested his hand lightly on her forehead. He couldn’t imagine how her first Dementor attack had taken her. He wanted to be there when she came to, but Hermione was right. Kingsley would not be pleased if he was found there. He also knew, after leaving Neville in the lurch, that Gaunt would be on him. He glanced at Hermione and could see she’d slumped back into her chair and was asleep. It brought him some comfort that Hermione and Ginny were getting along so well, or it at least so it seemed

He leaned close to Ginny and whispered, ‘Love, I wish you could hear me. I wish I could be here when you wake up, but I can’t. I…’ He struggled for a moment and then mustered the courage, ‘I love you.’

He furrowed his brow as she made no response and squeezed her hand again. He kissed her softly and smiled. He headed back towards the Headmistress’ office and Flooed back to Grimmauld Place.