Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Ginny woke up slowly in the hospital wing. There was sun pouring through the window behind her and she had to blink a few times to let her eyes adjust to the room and her surroundings. She sighed as she saw Hermione slumped across her bed. She reached a hand out to her friend and gently touched her head. ‘Hermione?’

Hermione opened her eyes slowly and buried her head into the sheets. Ginny laughed and said more clearly, ‘Hermione! Don’t sleep like that; it isn’t good for your back.’

Hermione slapped Ginny’s leg and showed little sign of moving. Ginny sat up and grasped Hermione’s shoulder. ‘Come on, Granger. Go sleep in your bed.’

Hermione lifted her head and glared at Ginny. ‘I was having a really pleasant dream. And no offence, it didn’t include you or Harry.’

Ginny laughed and then stopped. ‘What do you mean ‘and Harry’?’

Hermione smoothed her hair out. ‘What?’

Ginny sat back in her bed and said, ‘What are you talking about?’

Hermione laughed. ‘I have no idea. I’m feeling a bit tired.’

‘You don’t say,’ Ginny replied. ‘Hermione, I wasn’t critically ill, I just…I fainted or something…’

Ginny looked at Hermione and continued, ‘I was on the train with you when Harry got attacked, and it didn’t hit me that fully then, but I’ve never had Dementors focused solely on me, is that supposed to happen?’

Hermione nodded slowly. ‘I’m afraid so, yes…Harry had those sorts of attacks in our third year, your second, on a regular basis.’

Ginny raised her eyebrows expectantly and Hermione continued, yawning, ‘The Dementors seemed to focus in on him. Professor Lupin said it was because he’d experienced real…’

She trailed off and Ginny said, ‘Real what?’

Hermione sighed and looked somewhat pained, but continued, ‘He had experienced real horrors.’

Ginny looked at Hermione blankly for a moment, letting the information sink in. She leaned back against the pillows and said quietly, ‘Brilliant. I’m a target for Dementors? But I’m not the only one!’

Hermione smiled at her outburst and said, ‘You may not be, but you have always been too popular for your own good.’

Ginny abruptly threw a pillow at Hermione and exclaimed, ‘Shut up, Hermione! It isn’t funny!’

They were both grinning at each other as Madame Pomfrey came by. ‘Ms. Granger! As Head Girl, I would have expected you to act more appropriately in the hospital wing!’

She gave them both a cold stare before she continued, ‘Ms. Weasley, you are free to go once you feel up to it. But I expect you to come by at least once in the next week to make sure you’re fine.’

She turned on her heels and walked away, leaving both Ginny and Hermione brimming. Once she was out of earshot, they both burst out laughing. Ginny wiped the tears from her eyes and said, ‘I don’t think Madame Pomfrey is going to want to see either of us anytime soon again.’

Hermione smiled at her and said with a serious tone, ‘Are you sure you’re okay to go?’

Ginny nodded and leaned forward, swinging her legs off of the bed. She looked at her bare legs and pulled the sheets around herself. ‘Um, why am I not wearing any pants?

Hermione laughed. ‘I’ll go see if I can find your Quidditch robes.’

Ginny surveyed the room and noticed the silence. She didn’t know how Harry had been able to spend so much time here. It seemed lonely. And yet she felt some solace in it. There were no traumatised siblings, no overbearing parents, just one healer and all the time in the world.

She shut her eyes tightly and didn’t hear Hermione coming back. The images from the attack flashed through her mind and she started when Hermione put a hand on her shoulder. ‘Ginny, are you okay?’

Ginny turned to her friend and nodded slowly. ‘Yeah, I was just thinking.’

‘About?’ Hermione asked.

Ginny made no response, her mind being pulled in various different directions, and Hermione wrapped the robes around Ginny’s shoulders. ‘I know you’ve been under a lot of stress, but maybe some actual rest might do you some good.’

Ginny nodded slowly. ‘You’re probably right.’

She got up slowly, feeling a little unsteady on her feet. Hermione reached an arm out to her and Ginny used it to keep her balance. She wrapped her robes tightly around her body and looked around for her boots. Hermione nodded towards the bed and Ginny turned to see her boots peeking out from under the sheets that were half off the bed. Ginny finished dressing slowly and with help from Hermione, was able to get out of the hospital ward not long before noon.

She went back to Gryffindor tower and took a long bath before heading down for some lunch. The Gryffindor table erupted in cheering as she neared it. Dean stood up from the other side of the table and said, ‘Here comes our very own hero! Not even Dementors are going to stop us from winning the House Cup!’

Ginny flushed at the attention and put her hands up. ‘I don’t think I’d call what happened to me a victory.’

Hermione looked up and said, ‘Not many students could do what you did.’

Ginny smiled and sat down next to Hermione. ‘Thanks to you and Luna, I got out of the pitch safely. Has Professor McGonagall said anything about what happened?’

Hermione shook her head. ‘I haven’t seen her.’

Ginny looked worriedly at Hermione, but didn’t say anything. She watched with an amused expression as Natalie retold the story about how Ginny, Hermione and Luna had defended the pitch from the Dementors. Ginny gave a side-long glance to Hermione and the latter nodded approvingly. Ginny stared blankly at her lunch for some time before finally admitting defeat.

Hermione was watching her and nudged her as she showed signs of leaving. ‘Sit down. You’re finishing your lunch.’

Ginny gave Hermione a defiant look. ‘Excuse me?’

Hermione raised her eyebrows and repeated, ‘You’re finishing your lunch. Don’t even think about leaving. Harry will kill me if he finds out you’re not taking care of yourself after a Dementor attack.’

Ginny raised her eyebrows and replied, ‘Please, Harry is no better patient than I am.’

Ginny ate a bit more, slowly, being thankful it was Saturday. She had all weekend to catch up on her revisions as well as announce the Gryffindor team. Even though the tryouts had turned out so strangely, she still thought she had a solid team. She was pleased her Keeper was so promising. That might compensate for the rest of the team not being stellar.

Once she’d managed to finish enough of her lunch, including some chocolate Hermione had forced on her, she got up and grabbed her bag. Hermione called out to her, ‘Where are you off to?’

Ginny beckoned to her. ‘Shouldn’t we get going? We have revisions to do.’

Hermione grinned broadly. ‘Finally, something we’ll both enjoy!’

‘Both?’ Ginny asked. ‘I think it’s just you.’

Hermione laughed and followed as Ginny led the way to the library. A lot of students were pointing and gesturing at them, and Ginny turned and whispered to Hermione, ‘Why are they looking at us like that?’

Hermione smiled. ‘You really didn’t spend that much time with us, did you? This is how they always looked at Harry after he had performed some feat that was unimaginable. Congratulations, you’re really following in his footsteps.’

Ginny sighed and set her bag down in the library and pulled a few books out. After a few hours, Ginny was feeling exhausted. She tried not to make it obvious, but she was watching Hermione revising feverishly and sighed. It seemed that no matter the conditions, Hermione would always be at peace if she could study. Ginny tapped her quill on the table and said quietly, ‘I am really exhausted. I might need a short kip to get some energy back.’

Hermione looked up slowly. ‘Yeah; want me to come and wake you before dinner?’

‘Not really,’ Ginny admitted but laughed. ‘I know you will anyway, thanks.’

She left the library and headed to Gryffindor tower. She didn’t care for the looks she was receiving, so she ignored them. She was too tired to be bothered by it. She dropped her bag on top of her chest and fell into her bed. She must have been asleep for a couple hours and woke up to a darkening night outside her window. None of her room-mates were around and she sat up slowly. She felt a strange warmth coming from the locket and touched it absently.

She didn’t realise how much she was missing Harry. At least if he were here, she wouldn’t be alone. She sighed. That wasn’t fair. She wasn’t alone. She had both Hermione and Luna. They were proving to be good friends.

She started to lie down again when she heard a sharp rap on the door. She expected this to be Hermione with her wake-up call and got up to answer the door. She was surprised to see Professor McGonagall on the other side.

‘Professor? What are you doing here?’ she asked.

Professor McGonagall smiled and replied, ‘I was coming to check on you. I meant to have you come see me in my office, but Ms. Granger informed me you were resting. How are you feeling?’

Ginny smiled slowly. ‘I’m okay, thank you Professor.’

Professor McGonagall gave her a questioning look and Ginny stepped to the side, letting the Professor enter. She said quickly, ‘Excuse the mess, Professor.’

She looked nervously at the floor. She didn’t know Professor McGonagall well, though the previous year, she’d saved the old DA on more than one occasion. Professor McGonagall surveyed the room quickly and said, smiling, ‘Ms. Weasley, I must commend you on your performance last night. I would not have expected anyone of your age to conjure such a powerful Patronus. Did Harry instruct you?’

Ginny nodded and answered, ‘Yes.’

Professor McGonagall smiled at her. ‘You’ve never stricken me as the nervous type, am I interrupting something?’

Ginny’s eyes widened. ‘What? No, Professor. I’ve just never…I’ve never known you very well. All this attention is really…strange.’

Professor McGonagall nodded slowly. ‘I’m afraid, with your…friends; this is something you should expect. Your brother and Ms. Granger had to deal with this being friends with Harry Potter and I believe you will feel it more acutely after the war.’

Ginny nodded and smiled weakly. She really didn’t know how to respond to this comment. Professor McGonagall started for the door and stopped. ‘Is there anything I can do to help you adjust to these new circumstances?’

Ginny shrugged. ‘If I knew, I’d certainly do it myself.’

Professor McGonagall nodded approvingly. ‘I would expect nothing less. If you need anything, you know where to find me.’

With that she left Ginny in her room, feeling both dumfounded and curious. That was a peculiar visit by the Headmistress, and she wondered if Professor McGonagall was just checking up on her at her parents’ request. She had heard very little from her family. She’d gotten a couple of letters from Percy, all asking about her and providing very little information about George.

She still recalled those last few harrowing days at home. George had become next to impossible. Her parents were arguing almost all the time. They paid little to no attention to either her or Ron. They just did not have the energy to deal with everything. She didn’t blame them. George was in need of serious support and help.

She pushed the thoughts out of her mind. There was no use in dwelling on what she had no way to help with. Percy had indicated they’d all be there for the memorial, barring any setbacks for George. One thing was clear, George had insisted on being at the memorial. Ginny cringed at the greeting she’d witness between Harry and George, but knew telling Harry would only make him more apprehensive.

She freshened up before heading to Hermione’s room to see if she was ready for dinner. She knocked on Hermione’s door and the door opened for her. Crookshanks was purring loudly at her entrance and she tried hard not to roll her eyes at the cat. ‘Hermione? Are you ready?’

Hermione looked up from her desk and replied, ‘Is it dinner already?’

Ginny eyed her curiously. ‘Are you alright? You look a little…pale.’

Hermione got up quickly and forced a smile at Ginny. ‘What? Oh, nothing. Are you ready?’

Ginny titled her head and said, ‘That isn’t fair, Hermione. Tell me what’s bothering you.’

Hermione sighed and narrowed her eyes. ‘Never you mind, Ginny. It doesn’t concern you.’

‘You’re my friend, so it bloody well does,’ Ginny shot back.

Hermione crossed her arms and said in a slightly defeated manner, ‘It’s your brother that’s making me upset and thank you I don’t want to talk about it.’

Ginny eased her shoulders back and said, ‘Ron’s a rubbish boyfriend sometimes.’ She grinned slowly at Hermione and said, ‘Even if you did tell me, I’d most likely take your side anyway.’

Hermione grinned at this and shook her head. ‘Sometimes I wish Ron would get some clues from Harry about being a more attentive boyfriend.’

Hermione led the way out of her room and down the flights of stairs. Ginny followed closely. As they cleared the common room, Hermione continued, ‘I mean, how can Ron be so stubborn?’

Ginny laughed. ‘Ron has always been stubborn. But Harry is stubborn all the time, too.’

Hermione nodded. ‘I know, but at least he’s so dedicated to you.’ They turned a corner and she continued, ‘I mean, take last night for example.’

Ginny nodded. ‘You know, I had the weirdest dream. I…’ she laughed. ‘This is so stupid; I dreamt that Harry came to see me. I must have been really out of it.’

Hermione stopped in her tracks and stared, wide-eyed at Ginny. ‘What?’

Ginny looked at her curiously. ‘What? What’s the matter?’

Hermione grimaced and looked guiltily at the ground. She said quietly, ‘You weren’t dreaming.’

Ginny stopped and shook her head. ‘I’m sorry, I think I misheard you. What?’

Hermione took a deep breath and cringed. ‘I’m sorry; I should have said something sooner.’

‘What are you talking about, Hermione?’ Ginny said, no longer amused at her friend’s inability to speak.

Hermione sighed and repeated, ‘You weren’t dreaming. He was here, last night, checking up on you.’

‘What!’ Ginny practically yelled. She glared at Hermione and said, ‘He was here? And he just left?’

Hermione shook her head. ‘He sat with you for a little while, but both Professor McGonagall and Kingsley would have killed him if he was caught here’

Ginny looked at Hermione with a confused expression. ‘What? Why?’

Hermione wrung her hands. ‘Merlin, Ginny, it’s been a crazy day. I’m really sorry about –’

Ginny put her hands up and said clearly, ‘Why couldn’t he stay?’

‘Because they don’t want him to be seen at Hogwarts before the memorial service…they want him to return with fanfare, not…not like that,’ she said slowly.

Ginny sighed and tried to quell the mounting anger. She thought back to the dream she’d had and asked, ‘He was here…did he…did he kiss me?’

Hermione nodded slowly. ‘I think so…I was asleep.’

Ginny’s expression softened and she gestured down the hallway. ‘Come on, I’m hungry…and now I have to send Harry a letter.’

Hermione smiled weakly at her and Ginny followed her to the Great Hall. After dinner, Ginny sent Harry a much more pleasant note than the one she’d sent previously. She couldn’t help but touch the locket repeatedly as she wrote, realising she really missed him and was anxious now, more than before, to see him again.