Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

The week leading up to the memorial, the Ministry was in an unusual state of disarray. Harry and Neville found themselves caught up in all the excitement and lost track of their normal activities. The days leading up to the memorial, Harry hardly had any time to himself. He and Neville were both being pulled from one meeting to another. At one of their meetings, they were both surprised to see Ron in attendance. Kingsley had explained that Hermione would be making a short speech. Kingsley made it clear that no one else was expected to make a speech, though he held Harry’s gaze for a few moments before moving on.

He took Harry aside after the meeting and said that although he did not expect Harry to make any speeches, as the events were most likely the hardest on him, it would be wise to prepare a few short words should he be asked any questions. Harry had wanted more advice, but Kingsley made it clear that as the hero of the battle, Harry was not required to speak using the company line of the Ministry.

Harry had been rushing around for the better part of the week, and when he finally got some time to himself late Friday night, he felt it appropriate to send Ginny a letter. He stared at a blank piece of parchment for over an hour before finally giving up. He’d be seeing her the following day and would be able to talk to her then.

He couldn’t imagine what she was going through at the moment. Her family was, as Harry had already been told, all going to be in attendance. This included George. Harry felt his anger, or at least disappointment, towards George to have dissipated. He knew his feelings for Ginny would ease any concern he had for the whole situation.

As the morning rolled around, Harry was dressing as quickly as he could, though he knew he had hours and hours before the ceremony. Kreacher was being unusually quiet, as if he knew the significance of the day and ushered Harry out of the door early.

Harry and Neville had agreed to go together, but as Harry reached the Ministry and was just outside their office, he saw Gaunt and Podmore coming towards him. Both looked highly distressed and Gaunt called out, ‘Potter! Where’s Longbottom?’

Harry shrugged. ‘We’re meeting here to head to the memorial, sir.’

Gaunt shook his head. ‘We need you to do something first.’

Harry shook his head defiantly. ‘I have to be there. Kingsley told me to be there.’

Gaunt stood up to his full height, just a head taller than Harry, and said, ‘I know, but if we want to catch that wizard, we’re going to need your help.’ Harry didn’t feel good about this and Gaunt continued, ‘Think of this as redemption for your earlier desertion.’

Harry narrowed his eyes and knew there was little he could do to disobey Gaunt. He sighed and repeated, ‘I have to be there.’

Podmore smiled at him. ‘You’ll be there, just a little late.’

Harry gave them both a curt nod and followed as they led him down a series of corridors. Gaunt made it clear that Harry needed to stand in a certain place and wait for someone to pass by and give him a box. He wasn’t to open the box, but bring it back to Gaunt straightaway.

Harry glanced at his watch as he Flooed outside London. He was going to be very late, and wondered what Ginny would think of this. He had hoped they’d have some extra time prior to the ceremony to catch up, though the more Harry thought about it, the more he realised she’d most likely be surrounded by her family and wouldn’t need him anyway.

He stood at his designated spot for an hour and a half before a short, stocky, dark-skinned man meandered towards him and stopped just past him at a nearby stall. Harry was standing in the middle of a busy marketplace and had been keeping an eye out for various characters. He’d been sipping a strong coffee to keep himself alert and was surprised when the dark-skinned man behind him whispered for him to move closer.

Harry didn’t want to look obvious in case they were being watched and headed towards a nearby rubbish bin. He tossed a used napkin in and the man approached the same rubbish bin. He made to throw something away, but just as quickly pulled out a small parcel and tossed it into Harry’s hands. Harry concealed it quickly under his robes and made no other gesture to the man.

Harry watched as the stranger walked away and he stood waiting for a few minutes before heading in the opposite direction and Apparating to a safe place. He then Flooed back to the Ministry and sought Gaunt out. The Auror was waiting for him in his office, and jumped at seeing the package.

Harry tried to restrain himself and said curtly, ‘Can I go now?’

Gaunt paid him little mind and nodded, waving him out of the office. Harry quickly ran down the main corridor to Floo to Hogwarts. He’d glanced at the clock in Gaunt’s office and knew the ceremony had already started.

Once he arrived outside Hogwarts, he found that the teachers had still kept many of the safety barriers up so he jogged quickly to the area where the ceremony was clearly taking place. He must have just missed the entire event as the guests were all getting up from their chairs. Harry tried to appear as if he’d been standing in the back the entire time, but doubted anyone would believe that. He saw a press of reporters crowding around Kingsley, and nodded to him. Kingsley acknowledged him with a quick nod. Both men had hoped the reporters would not take note, but they all turned to see Harry. There seemed to be a moment where they weren’t sure if they should approach him, but the moment passed quickly and they raced towards him.

Harry tried to stay calm; he hadn’t been mobbed before and was afraid they’d attack him. Neville appeared out of no where by his side. Harry gave him a nervous look, but tried his best to hear all the questions and answer them as best he could. He tried to glance at what was going on around him, but it was impossible to see anything or anyone aside from the bright flashes going off in front of him. Kingsley finally stepped in, ushering the reporters back with just one wave of his hand.

He led Harry away with Neville following close behind. He said in a hushed tone, ‘I understand you were able to assist Gaunt this morning. I do appreciate that. I also thought this would relieve some pressure for you with respect to this event.’

Harry was finally able to see without spots in his eyes and could see the wary, sombre looks all around him. He didn’t see Ginny anywhere and tried to stop and look for her. Kingsley continued moving him into the school and then the Great Hall. He stopped there and said, ‘The reporters won’t be able to bother you here.’

Harry nodded and said quickly, ‘Yes, but sir, I need to see the Weasleys.’

Kingsley nodded. ‘Yes, of course. They will want to see you as well, I’m sure.’

Harry couldn’t tell if Kingsley was saying this to appease him, but he finally was able to make out a group of red heads. Much to his chagrin, Ginny did not appear to be with them. Harry slowly approached the group and was shocked to first be confronted by George. He took a deep breath and said, ‘Hello George.’

George smiled at him and reached a hand out. ‘I’d hug you, Harry, but I think you need to buy me at least one drink for that.’

Harry laughed, feeling the tension dissolve in a moment. ‘I’m sorry, George, I don’t think I’m ready for that step. And I don’t think Ginny would approve.’

George nodded, but said in a serious tone, ‘Harry…’ He took a deep breath and continued, ‘I’m really sorry about what happened. And I’m glad you’re okay.’

Harry nodded. ‘Don’t worry about it, George.’

He stood for a moment, looking at the concern crossing George’s face, but wasn’t able to think on it more as Mrs. Weasley gave him a bone-crushing hug. ‘Harry! We missed you this morning.’

He nodded and said apologetically, ‘Gaunt had some business for me. He said it couldn’t wait.’

He looked around and Ron said, ‘Harry, she’s not here.’

‘What?’ he said absently. ‘Oh, wait, where is she then?’

Ron sighed. ‘She and Hermione are both outside trying to keep an eye on all the students.’ Harry started to make for the door, but Mr. Weasley grabbed his arm firmly. ‘I believe Kingsley brought you back in here for a reason.’

Harry gave Mr. Weasley a defiant look and said, ‘I’m sure he did, but I told Ginny I’d see her and I’m not going back on my word.’

Percy rolled his eyes and stepped away from the group. Harry frowned at this action and Mrs. Weasley stepped forward. ‘I think it would be best if you stayed here and away from prying eyes.’

Harry nodded; realising there was someone of note standing to the side of Mrs. Weasley. He took a tentative step closer and noticed Andromeda Tonks. In her arms and being a perfect terror was his God-son, Teddy. The little boy looked up at Harry with curious, doleful eyes and Harry couldn’t help but smile. He took another step forward and said quietly, ‘Mrs. Tonks, I’m sorry I haven’t written to you in some time.’

She shook her head, tears still glistening in her eyes. ‘Don’t be silly, Harry, you’ve been busy. I’ve been reading about you in the paper. I think your parents would be very proud of you.’

Harry felt his face flush as she spoke and looked down quickly. ‘I hope so.’ His eyes strayed back to Teddy and he asked, ‘How’s he doing? Not exhausting you, I hope.’

She smiled and pulled the little boy closer to her body. ‘He’s a right terror, not unlike his mother at that age. But I love him. And he reminds me so much of Nymphadora.’

Harry nodded and reached a hand out to Teddy. The little boy looked at him warily, but reached his tiny hand to Harry’s, grasping two of his fingers. It was a feeling Harry had never experienced before. He hadn’t been around children much and here was this little boy who grasped his fingers trustingly. Harry leaned close to him, smiling, and said, ‘Don’t give your Gran too hard of a time.’

The little boy gave him a mischievous smile and peeled out a little laughter that shattered the otherwise solemn silence in the room. Harry could once again feel the weight of dozens, if not more, eyes upon him. But he paid them little mind. He knew he needed to be a better God-father to Teddy, especially considering Teddy would now be living his life as Harry had lived his own, without his parents around. He wanted to play more with Teddy, but could see Andromeda drifting back towards Mrs. Weasley. He ruffled Teddy’s hair before turning back to the rest of the Weasley family. He very much wanted to see Ginny, but had to assess his situation more closely before making a move.

Harry knew he couldn’t get away with all of them watching. He normally lived with his emotions on his sleeve, but knew that his training may finally pay off. He nodded slowly and started chatting with Ron. Once both the Weasley parents started to chat with Andromeda, Harry knew his chance had come. He grinned at Ron and without another word, turned and ran out of the Great Hall.

He could hear Ron scream out, ‘Oi! Where is he off to?’

Harry bounded through the entranceway, hearing the Weasley family calling after him, but ignored them. He saw students returning from the ceremony as well as milling around the grounds. He stepped onto the grounds and looked around frantically. He could see a photographer look up suddenly at seeing him, but threw a disarming spell at him to drop the camera he was carrying.

Harry bounded around the outside of a large group, but could find no traces of Ginny. He did see Hermione and rushed over to her. She was looking somewhat put-off and as Harry closed in, he could see why. Draco Malfoy was having a conversation with her. Although it didn’t appear that Hermione was a willing participant in the conversation. Harry ignored their hushed tones and said urgently, ‘Hermione! Have you seen Ginny?’

She looked up abruptly, as if Harry were her saviour, and replied, ‘She went inside. Her parents are leaving soon; she’s probably in the common room.’

He uttered his thanks and quickly turned on his heel, much to Hermione’s apparent dismay. He made a mental note to write her a letter asking her what Draco wanted, but didn’t have time to think on it long.

He bounded up the various staircases to the Gryffindor tower and was disappointed to see no students standing outside. He looked at the Fat Lady but she sighed. ‘I know you are the Hogwarts hero, Mr. Potter, but the security has been very strict.’

He sighed. ‘Can you just tell me if Ginny Weasley is in there?’

She shook her head. ‘She very well maybe, a whole host of students just came through, but none are in the common room now.’

Harry groaned and banged on the portrait door. ‘Ginny! Are you in there?’

‘Mr. Potter! There is no need to shout, she’ll not be able to hear you!’ the Fat Lady admonished him.

He started to bang again when Neville appeared behind him. ‘Harry, we need to get going. The ceremony is over and Gaunt needs us for something.’

Harry didn’t like this one bit and had a glimmer of saying ‘no’ outright. But he hung his shoulders dejectedly and followed Neville down the spiralling staircases. He kept his gaze down and didn’t sense anything around him. He was furious that Gaunt had cost him one of his few chances to see Ginny.

As Neville turned the corner to the last staircase, Harry took one last, longing look at the Fat Lady, wishing she’d known whether Ginny was within. He turned and felt someone wrap their arms tightly around his shoulders. He started for a moment, but could see the red hair cascading around him. He gripped her tightly, forgetting that he had missed her up until that point. They pulled away just slightly and he kissed her fully.

He whispered, ‘I’m so sorry I’m late. I…’

She nodded and pulled his face back to hers, kissing him deeply. He could hear Neville behind her, ‘Harry, we can’t be here…’

Harry tried to ignore Neville, but Ginny pulled away looking at him forlornly. He shook his head and said, ‘These quick meetings aren’t doing anything for me.’

She nodded and replied, ‘Me either.’

Neville shot Harry an impatient look and Harry could see the Weasley parents looking up at him with worried looks. Percy was shaking his head and seemed to be laughing slightly. Ron shoved him in the back and they both turned away. Harry didn’t see Hermione anywhere in sight and looked back at Ginny. He ran a hand through his hair and said, ‘When is your first Hogsmeade weekend?’

She sighed and shrugged. ‘Not until November, a couple weeks before our first Quidditch match. Will you be coming down to see us play?’

Harry nodded. ‘Ron and I were planning on attending, yeah.’ He reached a hand out to her and pulled her closer. He took her hand in his and kissed her palm. ‘How are your classes going?’

She turned to see all the eyes on them and said, ‘Harry, I don’t think now is the time to have a conversation.’

He looked at the ground and said quietly, ‘I’m really sorry I was late…there was a…a work thing.’

He tried to catch her eyes, but she pulled her hand out of his and started down the stairs past Neville. He stood for a moment before hurrying after her, pushing past Neville, who still stood watching the doorway. He called after her, ‘Ginny, wait!’

She stopped at the foot of the stairs and said quietly, ‘Harry, I can’t…we can’t do this here, please, not with all these people watching…’

She gave him a look he couldn’t quite figure out and he sighed and nodded. ‘I’ll send you a letter later, I promise.’

He bent and kissed her on the cheek. She gave him a weak smile and headed towards her parents. Neville came up behind him and said, ‘Can we go now?’

Harry turned at the tone and saw that Kingsley was not far from the entranceway with a disapproving look on his face. Harry sighed and followed Neville out of the school. Harry didn’t care for the meeting with Ginny and wondered how upset she was with him. He had a feeling it had more to do with the memorial, than him, but his late arrival certainly didn’t help. He knew he’d send Hermione a letter, asking about Ginny, but wondered what she’d say, if anything. Kingsley shot both Harry and Neville a warning look and all three left the Hogwarts grounds without saying another word.