Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Kingsley ushered Harry and Neville quickly out of Hogwarts. Harry knew he was wearing his emotions on his sleeve and was, clearly, less than thrilled that his reunion with Ginny had been cut short. They had avoided the general press as they left, and Harry was thankful that he may have spared Ginny at least one day of being in the Prophet. He needed to get home to write her a letter, apologising and begging her forgiveness. The look on her face when they parted was making an ever-gaping hole in the pit of his stomach.

He could feel the ring, cool against his skin, and wondered if that meant she were angry with him. It wasn’t the same cold that he’d felt when she was hurt. He wouldn’t, in all his life, forget that feeling.

Harry hadn’t been paying attention to where Kingsley was leading them, but saw that they had left Hogwart’s grounds and were quickly walking through Hogsmeade. Kingsley turned to them and said, ‘We’re going to Floo back to the Ministry for a de-briefing and then you have the weekend to yourselves.’

Harry nodded mutely while Neville looked unsettled. Once they arrived back at the Ministry, Harry saw Gaunt not far off. He was grinning, the first time Harry had ever seen anything other than a scowl cross the man’s face. He stepped forward and said something urgently to Kingsley that Harry couldn’t quite hear. Kingsley nodded at him and turned to the others. ‘I won’t be doing the de-briefing, but I want to thank both of you for being at the memorial, which went well.’

He turned abruptly and followed Gaunt down the hallway, the two talking in hushed tones. Neville turned to Harry and asked, ‘Why were you so late?’

Harry gave him an annoyed look. ‘Gaunt caught me when I came in here, said I needed to do something for him. I didn’t have a whole lot of choice.’

Neville gave him an uncertain look and said, ‘Harry…I know we’re friends, you and I…but Ginny…’ Harry felt angry just hearing him say her name. He continued, ‘Ginny really needed you today.’

Harry glared at him. ‘She seemed fine to me.’

Neville shot back angrily, ‘It was the memorial for her dead brother, how can you even say that?’

Harry was shocked Neville would make such an outburst and said, ‘I wasn’t late because I wanted to be! If Gaunt asks you to do something, you do it, don’t you?’

Neville rolled his eyes. ‘Please, you just up and left that one time!’

Harry clenched his jaw. ‘You told me to go and I went and both Kingsley and Gaunt almost had my head for it. I wasn’t going to make that same mistake again!’

Neville shook his head. ‘Fine; whatever, Harry. Let’s just get this over with.’

Harry stood for a moment before following Neville down the hallway. He tried to stay focused as a wizard he’d never met went over what was successful and not successful on his morning activities. As they emerged, Harry was surprised to see Gaunt and the wizard he’d met earlier that day chatting. Harry gave them a questioning look and they both turned away from him.

He sighed and furrowed his brow. He was feeling like his mood for the day was getting worse and worse. He grumbled a good night to Neville and headed home. Once he arrived, Kreacher had a rather large dinner waiting for him. He stopped halfway through dinner and told Kreacher what had happened, the house elf nodding at appropriate times.

Kreacher, as Harry suspected, advised advised him to send Ginny a letter. Kreacher surprised Harry when he also suggested asking Professor McGonagall to see Ginny and have time at the school without an appointment. Harry gave him a sceptical look. ‘I’m not sure how wise that would be; she looked pretty upset with me.’

Kreacher shook his head and said, ‘Master Harry, I do not often give advice, but here I will: Mistress Ginevra needs support now more than ever. As someone who loves her, that support should come from you alone.’

Harry eyed Kreacher warily. He sighed and said quietly, ‘You should have seen the look on her face, Kreacher. She was so detached.’

Kreacher shook his head and said, ‘This is all the more reason for you to go to her. Now. Tonight.’

Harry balked. ‘I can’t just storm the school! Kingsley will have my head. I’ll just…I’ll just send her a letter…’

He knew how insincere that sounded and could see the disappointment in Kreacher’s eyes. But he also knew that Kingsley and Professor McGonagall had both made it clear that he shouldn’t be haunting around the school, besides which, if he wanted to be at school, he would have gone back.

He knew he was making meaningless excuses, but didn’t know what else to do. He thought back to that warm embrace and felt his heart lighten. They’d be okay. It was tough, not being with each other, save for a few stolen moments here and there, but they would be okay. The more he repeated this, the more he believed it, and that gave him some sense of solace.

He finished dinner and quickly wrote Ginny a letter, being more forthright than he’d been before and apologising, repeatedly, for not being there when he knew she needed him. He worried what response he’d get from her, but didn’t let the thought linger. He needed to send the letter out. He gave it to Kreacher as soon as he was done and began to write a quick note to Hermione, asking what Draco had been bothering her about, and if Ginny was okay.

The memorial had been held on a Saturday, and Harry was thankful for the break. He spent much of Sunday doing very little of consequence. Kreacher had left him alone most of the day, Harry suspected this had to do with his not heeding the house elf’s advice. He just didn’t know that visiting Hogwarts would be a good idea. He sent an owl to Ron, asking if he could stop by, as things seemed to have calmed down, but instead got a response asking if Ron could come to Grimmauld Place.

Ron arrived in the middle of the day and was alone. He gave Harry a weak smile as he entered the sitting room and said, ‘Dad told us why you were late. It must be exciting working there.’

Ron sounded disappointed that he hadn’t had a chance to start and Harry shrugged. ‘Not particularly. I still feel really badly about being so late.’

Ron replied, ‘I wouldn’t put it past either Gaunt or Kingsley to have done that on purpose.’

Harry raised his eyebrows. ‘But what benefit would that have?’

‘The poster boy coming late? I’m not sure, but Dad made it sound like he knew you’d be late,’ Ron offered.

Harry sighed and tried to push this new piece of information out of his head. ‘How was Hermione?’

Ron grinned. ‘Her speech was brilliant. I am so glad they didn’t ask any of us to say anything, officially.’

Harry sighed. ‘Now I’m really sorry I missed that…she wasn’t nervous?’

Ron nodded. ‘I think so, but I know her better than the general public, I expect.’

Harry looked up and said, ‘How is everyone doing?’

Ron knew Harry was speaking about his family and he nodded. ‘Um, okay, I think. I mean, mum and dad were pretty upset, but George was actually okay. He seemed normal to me.’

Harry nodded. ‘He seemed that way to me too. We got to talk for a few minutes.’

Ron replied, ‘I heard. George said something about you being really…I don’t know…he just said you were a nice guy or something.’

Harry cringed. ‘I’m afraid Ginny may not say the same thing. Could you tell if she was furious with me?’

Ron shook his head. ‘Honestly, I don’t know. She didn’t seem all that upset during the memorial. I think she only cried when she was hugging mum. But then George said something to her and they were both smiling. So I’m not sure. I barely got to see Hermione, but she seemed less upset with me than usual, and that was nice.’

Harry started to ask about Draco, but knew that Hermione would kill him if he said anything. ‘I only saw Hermione for a few minutes, too. I was too busy looking for Ginny.’ Harry sighed and continued, ‘I wonder if I should have apologised to Hermione, too.’

Ron laughed. ‘I don’t think you have to worry about her. She knows us both pretty well.’

Harry laughed. ‘I bet she’s just pleased you write to her at all.’

Ron grinned. ‘I write to her more than I ever have.’

Harry rolled his eyes. ‘Please tell me there isn’t any bad poetry involved.’

Ron crossed his arms and said, ‘I’m not telling you my secrets, Harry. Besides, Ginny never struck me as the poetry type.’

Harry rolled his eyes. ‘But she’s still a girl; she’ll want some sweet words.’

Ron laughed. ‘Harry, neither of us is good with words, that’s why they asked us not to speak.’

Harry furrowed his brow. ‘I wonder how hard it is to convince a woman that you’re really serious.’

Ron shrugged. ‘In my very limited experience all I can tell you is you have to be there for her and then let them lead, maybe. What the hell do I know? I’m lucky Hermione is even interested in me at all!’

Harry laughed and thought about how much he wished he were with Ginny right now. ‘You and me both. I know you don’t want to hear this, Ron, but your sister is amazing…and…gorgeous…and…’

He would have continued, but Ron stood up. ‘Please stop…I know you like her, Harry, but I don’t need to hear the details.’

Harry laughed. ‘Sorry, well, you can compliment Hermione all you want in front of me, I won’t take offence.’

Ron laughed and said, ‘No, thanks. I would rather tell her myself.’

Harry nodded, realising Ron was right. Though he wondered if he’d ever really told Ginny how wonderful she was, how perfect she was. Ron eyed him and asked, ‘You’re thinking about her right now, aren’t you?’

Harry looked down guiltily. ‘So? She’s my girlfriend, last I checked.’

Ron rolled his eyes. ‘Anyway, Harry…Percy is taking George by the shop later, we think he might be ready to manage some things again.’

Harry stood up quickly. ‘He’s that much better? That’s brilliant! Is there anything I can do to help?’

Ron gave him a serious look and said warily, ‘Maybe…I don’t want to put you in any awkward positions.’

Harry shook his head. ‘Ron, your family is my family, forget about it. Just tell me what you need me to do.’

Ron said steadily, ‘I think George might need some…support…but I’m not sure how Percy will feel about it. I’ll keep you posted.’

Harry nodded and watched as Ron headed out of the sitting room towards the grate. Harry followed behind and said, ‘Ron, if you see or talk to Ginny, let her know…I…I don’t know…you know.’

Ron nodded. ‘I know. I’ll see you later, Harry.’

With that Harry was once again left alone. He checked for any new letters but there was no response from either Ginny or Hermione. He hoped she’d gotten the letter already and wondered if he shouldn’t have included some flowers or sweets. He wanted to assess how much trouble he was in before doing that, but decided he’d ask Kreacher about it during dinner.