Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Harry had been nervously eyeing the clock in his office. He and Neville hadn’t really talked since the memorial, both of them consumed with their work. Gaunt had followed up with both of them, finally explaining their recent activities. There were still many unanswered questions, but things started to fall into place

Gaunt had been working the case with Podmore and a few other Aurors that were linked to the smuggling of Dark Magic artefacts. Gaunt had intended for Harry and Neville to pose as people looking for something to mark their victory over their Dark Lord with; something specific. Gaunt was under the impression that if there was a massive ring of dealers, this would certainly induce great interest, especially if the great Harry Potter was concerned. There was still quite a lot of uncertainty around Harry and his actions. The only thing people seemed to really know about him was that he had, single-handedly defeated Voldemort and was closely linked to the Weasley family, more specifically, their only daughter. Harry never argued with this last assertion, reporters would see him coming in and out of the Ministry, but he managed to avoid them.

After the memorial, there was less stalking and more calls for interviews. Gaunt had made a public announcement saying that Harry would not be making any public claims. Gaunt had told both Harry and Neville that this action should peak the curiosity of any Dark Magic dealer.

Gaunt had convinced Harry and Neville that their continued participation would be appreciated. Both Harry and Neville believed that meant it wasn’t optional to assist. As Harry watched the minutes tick by, the door to their office opened. Gaunt walked in, with Podmore close behind. The two glanced between themselves before stepping forward.

Gaunt started, ‘We might need to break this wonder team up for a short while. I’d like to use you both to your greatest strengths, if I can.’

Neville looked warily at Harry; neither was certain what this meant. Podmore took a few more steps into the office and said, ‘We need you, Harry, to continue working with Gaunt over these Dark Magic artefacts. We think a big shipment will be moved, and we may need you to work out of the office for a bit, and away from contact with anyone. Can you do that?’

Harry nodded. ‘Of course.’

Gaunt turned his gaze to Neville. ‘Longbottom, you are going to be working on-site.’ He gestured for Neville to follow him and Harry watched as Neville left the office with Gaunt.

Podmore smiled at Harry. ‘Nothing to be worried about, Mr. Potter. Gaunt won’t let anything happen to your friend. I suggested the opposite assigning of tasks, but your fame will serve us well.’

Harry didn’t know what to make of this statement, but started to place his books in his bag. Podmore showed no signs of leaving and Harry settled back in his chair. ‘Is there something I can do for you, sir?’

Podmore nodded without looking at Harry. ‘Gaunt asked me to give you a general idea of what you’d be doing.’ The older man sighed. ‘You’ve really showed a lot of promise, Mr. Potter, and that is saying something, especially when you consider it is Gaunt complimenting you; an unusual thing, indeed.’

He stood up, pulling a piece of parchment out of his robes. In great contrast to Gaunt, Podmore’s robes were always immaculate. Not a piece of dust or dirt could be found on them. He set the paper on the desk and Harry noticed the familiar case template that was used for the Department of Mysteries.

He started to read the parchment when Podmore cleared his throat. ‘You will have a mock argument with Gaunt, and storm out of the office, tomorrow. From then on, you will not come to the office, nor make contact with anyone. This is very much an assignment that requires your unerring attention. You must then wait for word from Gaunt about meeting someone to purchase something illegal. You will arrive at the location in question and purchase the goods offered to you, whatever they may be. At this point, we will be watching and will arrest those doing the selling.’

Harry nodded, trying to take in all the information he had just been presented. He looked over the parchment and said, ‘Where is Neville going?’

Podmore smiled. ‘Mr. Potter, you needn’t worry about Mr. Longbottom.’

Harry laughed, trying to sound nonchalant. ‘I just want to make sure he isn’t having more fun than I am.’

Podmore must have thought nothing of this and added, ‘No, he’ll be taking in a few classes, but he’ll also be unearthing something for an old friend.’

Podmore gestured towards the door and Harry picked his bag up. After so much training, Harry had to figure that this meant Neville was being assigned to pose as a student somewhere. The Ministry of Magic had a wide jurisdiction; Neville could be assigned almost anywhere.

Harry didn’t see Neville as he left and Podmore basically escorted him to the main corridor. Once Harry arrived home, Kreacher was waiting with a hot dinner. The house elf eyed Harry cautiously and asked, ‘How was work, Master Harry.’

Harry smiled. ‘Fine, busy. How are things here?’

‘Nothing to concern yourself with, sir,’ the house elf sounded very assured. He stood behind Harry as he ate and continued, ‘Master Harry, have you not heard from Mistress of late?’

Harry looked thoughtfully at Kreacher. ‘She hasn’t replied to my last letter. I wonder if she’s still upset with me.’

‘Perhaps you should send another letter?’ Kreacher offered.

Harry sighed, setting his fork down. ‘You don’t think that would be too much, do you?’

Kreacher looked mortified. ‘No! Master Harry, Mistress must not doubt your intentions.’

Harry eyed Kreacher curiously. ‘Does she doubt them now?’

Kreacher made no reply and Harry knew there was something more that the house elf would not say. He ate the rest of his dinner in silence.

When Harry arrived at the Ministry the following day, there was an inter-office memo waiting for him on his desk. There was also no sign of Neville. The memo was short; only informing him to be ready for a loud, open confrontation with Gaunt that afternoon. After he read it, the memo began to smoulder. Harry had to quickly toss it in the rubbish bin before it burned the other papers on his desk.

The rest of the day dragged on and Harry nervously read through his books. The case file Podmore had given Harry, had been left at home. He didn’t want any proof of his actions being on his person. He knew Kreacher would not let anyone rifle through his things, especially Ministry-related ones.

Podmore stopped through after lunch, wishing Harry good luck and telling him he would be fine, just follow his instincts. He also warned that Gaunt would be using any means necessary to get Harry angry; the argument would be as realistic as possible.

Harry cringed, thinking of all the things Gaunt had on him and all the reasons Harry really disliked the man. He grabbed his things, as if he were heading home and could see Gaunt just out of the corner of his eye, it was about to begin.

‘Where do you think you’re going?’ Gaunt taunted.

‘Podmore said I could go for the day, so I’m leaving,’ Harry replied evenly.

Gaunt glared and followed Harry as he continued towards the main corridor, people watching the beginnings of the confrontation. ‘I have another assignment for you and you’d better accomplish it more effectively than you did the last.’

‘I did everything you asked me to do, sir,’ Harry said stiffly.

‘Did you? I wasn’t sure, what with the clean up Longbottom had to do for you, on more than one occasion.’ Gaunt was only just getting started.

Harry was surprisingly calm and knew this wasn’t helping. As if Gaunt knew Harry was having trouble, he continued, ‘Luckily, I can trust Longbottom to do a better job, I wonder how you managed against Voldemort.’

Harry still seemed unfazed, this was the usual drubbing he’d received from Gaunt and replied, ‘I think I still managed to do something worthwhile.’

Gaunt was clearly growing frustrated and finally said, ‘At least you had enough sense to not drag your girlfriend through the mud with all your failures.’

Harry stiffened and glared at this. ‘I think she’d be proud of me.’

He was speaking honestly and hoped it was true, but this was too easy for Gaunt to exploit. ‘Proud of you? She could hardly look at you after the memorial.’

Harry’s temper was boiling and he turned to walk away, stopping and realising an explosion was exactly what Gaunt wanted. ‘Like you’d ever know what it’s like to have a girlfriend.’

Gaunt didn’t stop. ‘I don’t think you’ll have to worry about it much longer yourself. She’s gorgeous and smart, any man with half-a-brain should be chasing after her. And she’d be foolish to wait around for a dud like you to realise how lucky you are.’

‘She doesn’t think that of me!’ Harry shot back. ‘We care about each other, and that’s something you’d never understand.’

‘Please!’ Gaunt countered, ‘You don’t think her eyes aren’t straying now? You’re out of the picture and she can have her pick of eligible bachelors at Hogwarts.’

Harry bristled. Gaunt was feeding the jealous monster that had been lying in wait. He knew Ginny wouldn’t intentionally hurt him, but she was gorgeous and Merlin knew he wasn’t good enough for her.

He let his eyes wander as Gaunt continued his full, verbal attack, ‘How faithful do you think she’ll be? Considering you’re pretty much a failure at being a half-way decent boyfriend. She could do better with Longbottom! At least he can follow simple instructions, can you?’

‘I can,’ he replied through gritted teeth.

‘You sure about that, Potter? If I’m not mistaken, she’s asked you to do things on a number of occasions and you couldn’t even do those,’ he said. As if knowing Harry’s mind, he continued, ‘She wanted you to be at that memorial and you were late!’

Harry started to retort, but the conversation with Kreacher pulled his raw emotions up to the surface. ‘I didn’t mean to be late! I had something to do, something that you wanted me to do!’

Gaunt laughed, a cold hollow laugh. ‘You’ve defied me before, and you couldn’t put your girlfriend past your own selfish desires?’

Harry was furious, now the act was no longer a game, it felt real. ‘Sod off! I am the best young Auror you’ll ever get to train in your miserable, little life!’

Gaunt stood up taller, as if satisfied by this digression and said, ‘I think you’ve said quite enough, Potter. Get out of here and don’t you dare think about coming back. You will always be a failure and you’ll never amount to anything for anyone.’

Harry didn’t waste a second glance on Gaunt, but turned and left. Once he arrived home, Kreacher handed him a letter from Kingsley. It had scant details, just to stay put and try not to worry about things.

Harry felt the fury still brimming and tried to steady his breathing. He didn’t know how long he could sit idly at home. Gaunt’s words rung true in his ears, partially. Ginny was more than he deserved. He knew Gaunt was right. He had let her down. That was probably why she hadn’t replied to his letter. He stood in the kitchen staring blankly out the window, tapping the counter absently. It was foolish of him not to go see her. He should have taken the time. She was everything to him. The thought stopped his absent actions. He was a mess without her. Why hadn’t he gone back to school so he could be with her?

He wanted to send her another letter. One that apologised for all of the selfish things he’d done to her, but he couldn’t. If he messed this assignment up and put Ginny in harm’s way, he’d never be able to forgive himself. He sat down heavily at the table and stared at a blank piece of parchment. Waiting was certainly going to be the hardest part of this assignment.