Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I'm so sorry these updates are taking so long. I am trying my hardest to push these through. I have 15 chapters up at my livejournal: flannelfiction - if you want to read the full story, please go there. I really appreciate all of the comments and the support for this story - I promise it is going somewhere good - enjoy!

Harry could feel a firm hand shaking him and a soft voice whispering his name. He opened his eyes slowly and saw a comforting sight; Ginny was leaning over him and shaking him gently. He could feel her warm breath on his cheek and he turned his head towards her slowly. ‘Good Morning.’

She smiled and laughed. ‘Harry, its evening and you fell asleep – a great way to win a girl over Casanova!’

He leaned forward and looked out the window to see the world had gone very dark. He rubbed his eyes and realised he wasn’t wearing his glasses. Ginny smiled and handed them to him. ‘You even fell asleep with your glasses on. I started talking to you and looked up to see you fast asleep. I poked you a few times, but you just held onto me more tightly.’

He shook his head a little to make sure he was awake. ‘Ginny, I’m sorry. I didn’t realise I was so tired.’

She just smiled at him. ‘It’s okay Harry, I mean, we’re all tired. And no one’s really getting a lot of sleep.’

He smiled sheepishly up at her, getting up slowly. ‘I’d better go wash up a bit before trying to snog my way out of trouble.’

She shook her head laughing as he walked away. ‘You’re not in any trouble, Harry! At least not with me...’ She said the last part more quietly and Harry strained to hear her as he rounded the corner and bounded up the stairs.

He threw some cold water on his face, still in utter disbelief that he could fall asleep. He was more surprised that in his sleeping stupor, he had the sense to hold onto Ginny more tightly. He was also surprised that neither Hermione nor Ron were present to see his latest romantic blunder, but the last time he saw them, they wouldn’t have noticed if the entire world were falling apart.

He pulled on a heavier sweater, as evening was wearing on, it might feel cooler than this morning. As he headed down the stairs, he could hear soft, strained voices coming from Mr. and Mrs. Weasley’s room. He didn’t want to linger, but it sounded like the discussion from this morning had continued on into the evening. He felt badly that he was the cause of so many stresses, but continued past the door, knowing there was little he could do about it.

When he came back to the sitting room he found Ginny sitting on the sofa again, eyeing him cautiously. ‘Sure you’re not going to fall asleep on me again?’

He laughed and leaned in kissing her on the cheek. ‘I’m wide awake now.’

He wrapped his arms around her but she put her hands firmly on his chest. ‘Harry.’ Her voice was strained and she said more quietly, ‘George is going to be back – may be you should…’

She didn’t complete her sentence, but looked at him worriedly. He sighed and leaned back into the sofa. ‘Unless you’re coming, I’m not going.’

She leaned close to him. ‘Harry, you’re sweet, but I don’t want to see you get hurt!’

He could hear the concern in her voice and it took a lot of self control for him not to Apparate on the spot. He shook his head firmly. ‘I’m sorry Ginny; I can’t leave you in danger. I just can’t; please don’t ask me to.’

She didn’t say anything at first, but sat closer to him, wrapping her arms around him and whispering, ‘If anything happens to you because of him, I’ll never forgive myself.’

Harry smiled down at her. ‘Ginny, I think I can handle George.’

Her eyes strayed away from him to the door. ‘Harry, I don’t think you understand – he really isn’t himself. I…’

She looked around again and then leaned in, whispering in his ear, ‘I’m convinced he’s been practicing dark magic.’

He looked at her sceptically. ‘He wouldn’t – he knows better.’

She shook her head. ‘Not right now he doesn’t. Had he hit you with anything last night, I don’t know what might have happened!’

He kissed her softly on the nose and felt her giggle. ‘You worry too much. I’ve been chased by a lot of foul people in the last year. I have faith that George will come to his senses. We’ve always got on together very well. I know you don’t want to hear me agree with your mum, but may be he does just need some time.’

He was afraid she’d holler at him, but she sat back quietly, looking at him directly. He held her gaze, trying to re-assure her that they would be fine. He squeezed her arm and rested his forehead against hers. ‘It’s going to be fine, no matter what.’

He leaned in and kissed her softly as he heard from behind him, ‘So nice of you to wake up!’

Hermione was smiling at the two of them as she sat down in a nearby chair. She turned away, picking up the Daily Prophet as Ginny extricated herself from Harry’s embrace.

He wrapped his arm around her and turned to Hermione. ‘You were able to get away from Ron, then?’

Hermione blushed. ‘I’m a little surprised you’d go this route, Harry.’

He looked at her questioningly as Ginny giggled and patted Harry on the knee. ‘I think you should let her have this round.’

Harry still seemed dumbfounded and Hermione sighed. ‘Harry, you just fell asleep in full view of the entire household with your arms wrapped around your girlfriend. Any kissing I’ve done is really nothing compared to that!’

His eyes bolted open as he turned to Ginny. ‘Did anyone else see us?’

She smiled and ran her hands up his chest. ‘Just Hermione actually. I shouldn’t make you feel so guilty, I fell asleep for a bit as well, it was rather comfortable.’

She said the words slowly and he leaned in kissing her again. ‘It was really, really nice. I haven’t slept that well in a really long time.’

Ginny smiled and kissed him back whispering, ‘Me either.’

Hermione rolled her eyes and said, ‘You’re just lucky it was me and not some one else, Harry.’

Harry raised his eyebrows at her. ‘Oh come on Hermione, I wasn’t doing anything wrong – we were just sleeping! Don’t make it into something it wasn’t.’

He wondered if he’d sounded too dismissive, but Ginny nodded. ‘I hate to say it Harry, but Hermione is right, especially with George around.’

Harry sighed. ‘He isn’t here now, and even if he were, we’re not going to stop being together because he doesn’t want us to be happy!’

Ginny and Hermione exchanged looks and Harry sighed, loosening his grip on Ginny. ‘I really don’t think we should change something positive in our lives. Anyone who cares about at least one of us should be happy we’re happy.’

Hermione spoke softly, ‘Harry – that isn’t the point. And I really don’t think you understand the state he’s in. You haven’t been here. He’s gone a bit mad.’

She said the words cautiously and Ginny sighed, leaning against Harry. ‘I keep telling him this but he isn’t listening.’ She tapped the side of Harry’s head playfully. ‘A little too stubborn for your own good.’

He smiled and grabbed her hand, kissing her fingers. ‘I think it’ll pay off for me in the long run.’

She smiled. ‘It seems to be working out for you now.’ She leaned in and kissed him again, resting her head on his shoulder, letting her body relax against his. Harry was feeling beyond comfortable; having her in his arms felt normal and right.

Hermione looked around distractedly. ‘As much as I enjoy seeing you enjoying each others’ company, I think we should have some sort of plan for when George does get back, to avoid the unpleasantness from last night.’

Harry sighed. ‘Oh come on Hermione – why do we need a plan? Just keep clear of him and we’ll be fine.’

Hermione looked at Harry sharply. ‘No precautions at all?’

He pulled away from Ginny slightly, sitting up on the sofa and looking Hermione straight in the face. ‘Good point – yes, we should. Any ideas?’

Hermione gave him a playful smirk. ‘What would you do if I weren’t around?’

Harry laughed and leaned back on the sofa. ‘I’ve always said you were the smartest one in our class!’

Ginny pulled closer to Harry again. ‘Too bad we can’t go to the shop and get something there – George and Fred had clothes and things with protective charms on them. We could have gotten something for you there.’

Harry smiled and squeezed her arm. ‘It wasn’t me I was thinking of getting something for.’

Hermione sighed. ‘Either way we’ll need to cast some protective charms, ones that don’t need to be uttered the moment another spell is coming at you.’

Harry replied, ‘Is there really such a thing that would be effective against any sort of dark magic?’

Hermione looked at him questioningly. ‘Why do you ask?’

Ginny looked nervously to Hermione and said quietly, ‘You know why.’

Hermione looked slightly shocked. ‘Are you sure?’

Ginny looked down. ‘Fairly certain – aren’t you?’

Hermione replied, her eyes looking sadly at Ginny, ‘I suspected for a while, but didn’t want to say anything. There were signs; and the wand too.’

Ginny looked up. ‘Wait – what about the wand? His wand?’

Hermione shook her head. ‘That’s the thing, it isn’t his wand he’s using!’

Harry watched the two of them and put his hand up. ‘Are you saying he’s using some one else’s wand?’

Hermione shook her head. ‘He’s using Fred’s wand.’

They all sat there silently, each lost in their own thoughts. Hermione looked blankly out the window, while Ginny shut her eyes and was leaning heavily on Harry. He was holding one of her hands in his, running his fingers carelessly across her palm.

Ron stepped into the room. ‘Merlin’s pants! You lot are hopeless without me around!’

They all snapped out of their reveries and turned to Ron, Hermione laughing. ‘We’ve been waiting for you to come entertain us!’

Ron sat down in a chair next to Hermione’s and put a hand on the arm of her chair. ‘Well, I know you lot can’t expect to have too much fun without me.’

Harry shook his head. ‘You just keep believing that, mate.’

Ron laughed. ‘I will – makes me happy. Well, adds to it.’

He looked knowingly at Hermione who leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. ‘You do help me with that on occasion.’

Ron gave her a half-smile. ‘Just on occasion?’

He reached out and pulled her towards him, ignoring the furniture that separated them.

Harry interjected, ‘If there’s going to be a repeat of what we saw earlier, I’d like to know so Ginny and I don't have to partake!’

Ginny giggled. ‘Yeah, please let us know. I mean, not that I mind, but I don’t need to see it.’

Ron released his grip on Hermione and turned towards Harry and Ginny. ‘I’ll keep all that under advisement.’

Ginny rolled her eyes as Hermione turned back to the Daily Prophet. ‘It seems like the news hasn’t changed much. It is nice not to see such coloured news all the time.’

Harry nodded. ‘Yeah, but I don’t think I can read about myself anymore, its getting a tad tiresome.’

Ginny giggled. ‘You’re lucky, at least all the pictures of you are coming out well.’

She playfully tousled his hair as he replied quietly, ‘I don’t know, I wouldn’t mind not getting so much attention.’

Ron laughed. ‘You know, playing up the ‘hero’ role a bit isn’t going to hurt you!’

Harry shook his head. ‘I’ll gladly let you, Hermione or Neville take the credit.’

Ron sighed. ‘Come on – I mean, I know you don’t go in for all the glitz and glamour, but seeing yourself in the paper isn’t all bad.’

Harry looked at Ron. ‘No, but it gives me more attention than I like, especially the wrong kind of attention. I don’t want any rogue Death Eaters needing any more reason to come after me or any of you!’

Ginny took Harry’s hand and squeezed it. ‘I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but you’re worrying too much. The Ministry has rounded up most of them and I doubt their first act would be to come after you! They’d know better.’

Harry leaned in and brushed his lips across her cheek, eliciting a contented sigh from Ginny as he said quietly, ‘Weren’t you the one telling me I shouldn’t risk it?’

She smiled at him and rested her head next to his on the sofa. ‘That’s one situation I already know is out of control!’

Ron looked questioningly at both of them as Hermione said, ‘You know – about George…’

She left the sentence unfinished and Ron looked at her sadly. ‘No, Ginny’s right then, that situation is out of control.’

Harry looked away from all of them, feeling slightly nettled. ‘You all are really worrying too much! He was out of control last night.’ He reached a protective arm around Ginny. ‘But I can’t imagine him trying anything like that again.’

Ron said quietly, ‘He will – especially now that he knows you care about Ginny. In a way, neither of you is safe here.’

Ginny looked up suddenly. ‘Oh Ron, you and Harry are really taking this out of context. The only reason he pushed me is because I was trying to stop him from hurting Harry.’

Harry shook his head and said forcefully, ‘That’s the whole reason he hurt you, because of me.’

Ginny looked at him seriously. ‘Don’t – don’t do this to yourself, or anyone else here, ok?’

She reached out and turned his face to hers, he could feel the heat and anger rising, but her eyes looked at him softly, he said quietly, ‘I’m not doing anything.’

She laughed. ‘You’re not? Is that why your hands have tightened into fists?’

He looked down and saw she was right, he’d clenched his fists, but released them quickly. ‘Even if you’re all right, you can’t honestly expect me to hide?’

Ginny sighed. ‘No, I know you never would, it wouldn’t be in your character.’

Hermione interjected, ‘We’re back where we were before – everyone in danger and no solution.’

Ron smiled. ‘Solutions are your department; Harry and I are just the brute force, though now we might be able to take it easy with Ginny around!’

They all laughed as Ginny leaned forward. ‘So you’re expecting me to protect you too, Ron?’

Ron laughed. ‘If you’re already at it, why not?’

A slight bustle could be heard from the kitchen as Mrs. Weasley called out, ‘Supper is almost ready!’

Ron broke in, ‘About time – I’ve been hungry all afternoon!’

Ginny rolled her eyes. ‘You could try making something yourself, you know?’

Ron replied, ‘I could, but its easier to just wait for mum to get things organised. She’s much better at it than I am.’

Hermione shook her head. ‘Cooking spells aren’t that difficult, getting them right is the hard part.’

Ron didn’t say anything, most likely due to their time out-doors with only Hermione’s cooking. She was a very capable witch, but even she hadn’t mastered cooking. They all got up and headed for the kitchen, Ginny standing in front of Harry, her eyes pleading. ‘Harry, I…’

He didn’t let her finish, leaning down and kissing her softly before saying quietly, ‘Don’t worry.’

She didn’t say anything, but hugged him quickly before heading into the kitchen. Harry only hoped that things would go more smoothly at this meal. He hated being a burdensome guest; especially considering he’d only really distracted the entire household with more worries instead of less. Harry followed Ginny into the kitchen, hoping that if nothing else, the meal would go by with little cause for concern.