Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Thousand Ways to Win a Witch's Heart by poisonapple

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to all the readers and reviewers so far. The advice and comments are always refreshing to read!
Hope you like this chapter.

Disclaimer: J.K. Rowling still owns all the characters, except one, and the settings. Without her, this wouldn't exist.
Ron and Harry were relieved to have Herbology after Potions. After breathing in the heavy scent of the perfumed smoke from the potions, it was a blessing to go outside and breath in fresh air.

The two boys set out for the Herbology greenhouses, talking about the upcoming Quidditch season.

But Ron wasn’t paying much attention to Harry’s plans on beating Slytherin. His mind was on the bushy-haired witch called Hermione.

What if she does fancy McGregory? What will I do? Just watch as she falls madly in love him, something I’ve tried to do for the longest time? Maybe if I just convince her not to fall for McGregory, she’ll go to the next best thing: me, Ron thought.

He laughed menacingly to himself, thinking his plan was genius. But Ron immediately stopped after Harry stepped a few feet away from him, thinking he was crazy.

They entered the greenhouse, which was brightly lit by sunlight. They spotted Hermione gathering around a Gurdyroot, a magical plant that resembled a green onion.

Automatically, Ron and Harry joined the witch in the secluded corner of the room and began planting the root.

After several minutes of silently working, Ron decided to get his plan into action.

As casually as he could sound, he asked Hermione, “So…you fancy that McGregory bloke?”

Hermione’s head jerked up suddenly, accidentally whipping her hair into Harry’s mouth.

“Sorry, Harry,” she said while Harry choked on her bushy mane. “Ron, what did you say?”

Ron’s pale face began to feel hot and he prayed that his face wasn’t completely red. “I asked if you liked that Scott McGregory. Y’know, that Hufflepuff guy that you were swooning over at breakfast.”

The jaw on Hermione’s face dropped a few inches, but she managed to say, “I was not swooning over him. I just felt…a little faint. From the heat! Yeah! The heat! Honestly, there hasn’t been a hotter day than today.”

“It wasn’t hot in the Great Hall! I thought it was actually a bit chilly.”

“Um…” Now Hermione’s face was changing into the color red, as if the day was actually burning hot.

“Just answer the question, Hermione! Do you like him or not?”

“Stop pestering me, Ron! I don’t even know him that well!” Hermione threw her arms up in frustration. This time, she hit Harry in the face.

“Oh! Sorry, Harry!” as the spectacled wizard rubbed the spot where Hermione hit him. “Look, Ron. I don’t like Sc-”

Just then, Scott McGregory came strolling along, giving a quick, but conspicuous, glance to Hermione before passing them. Her face now resembled a tomato and felt like a hot skillet.

“You do fancy him! Look at you! You’re all red!” Ron glared, his finger pointing accusingly at her.

“I’m only turning red because you’re acting insane. Isn’t he going crazy, Harry?!” Hermione asked him.

“Hermione, maybe Ron has got a point-” Harry said calmly.

“Fine! Take his side! I should have expected that!” she exclaimed. “And why does it matter to you anyways?” she snapped at Ron.

Ron thought quickly, thinking of a reply that could convince Hermione not to like McGregory. “Well, if you do like him…I-I think we would all know how that would work out.”

Hermione raised her eyebrow. “Oh? And what is that supposed to mean?”

He cleared his dry throat, thinking of a way to push her buttons. “He’s this heartthrob, right? Well, wouldn’t he want the prettiest girl in school to date him? It just would seem right.”

A deep frown formed on Hermione’s face. “Are you implying that I’m not…pretty?”

“Look around, Hermione. Sure, you’re the smartest girl in our year, but you’re-” he struggled a little with his next words, “not…the…prettiest.”

A tear formed in Hermione’s brown eyes, but she tried her best to blink it away. Many emotions began bottling up inside her, but she couldn’t control them. The sad expression on her face contorted into rage.

It seemed as if her face couldn’t become redder, but it definitely did. She squinted her eyes close enough that they appeared to be only slits on her face. Her eyebrows were even knitted together so close that it formed, what looked like, a unibrow. “Well, Ron, if you think I’m not pretty enough, maybe I shouldn’t be your friend anymore! Then you won’t have to look at my ugly face ever again!” she shouted. She knew it was stupid to get mad over his comments; Hermione wasn’t one to care more about her looks than intelligence. But a nerve twitched madly inside her, making her lose control of her emotions.

So, she stormed out of the greenhouse, her fist shaking wildly, while the rest of the class stared at her in silence.




“Ron, that wasn’t right.”

Harry and Ron were now walking back to the castle. Ron’s blue eyes were still opened wide from shock. He never saw Hermione that mad.

“Look, Harry, I just wanted to let Hermione know the truth.”

“If you wanted her to know the truth, you should have told her that you fancy her.”

Ron stared at his best friend. “What are you talking about?” he inquired, trying to play dumb.

Harry, completely unconvinced by his friend’s bewildered tone, grinned. “Come off it, Ron. Quit acting like you don’t know.”

“Don’t know what?”

Harry shoved him aside and chuckled. “Just apologize and make everything right again. I hate it when she’s not talking to us. And tell her the truth. She might like you more than you think,” he added after Ron heaved a heavy sigh.


They headed into the Great Hall for lunch, expecting Hermione to be sitting as far away from them as possible, but were surprised when she wasn’t there.

“Where’s Hermione?” Ron asked Ginny, his sister who also had flaming red hair.

“Er…” she muttered.

“What? Is she at the library again? Looking for ways to curse me in my sleep?”

“No…” Ginny answered.

“Where, then?”

“Ron, I’m not telling you for your own good. Trust me; I think it’s better for you not to know.”

Ginny stood up and walked away, hoping she wouldn’t get interrogated more with questions from Ron.

“Maybe she’s in the common room,” Harry suggested.

Ron shrugged while his eyes scavenged the Great Hall.

“Where’s that git McGregory?”

“Don’t insult him until you get to know him,” Harry said while they left the Hall to look for Hermione. “He might not even be that bad. Hermione isn’t shallow; she’d see more to him than his looks.”

Ron grunted. “Fine. If I actually get to know him, can I insult him then?”

They walked up the stone steps, hoping to find Hermione, but all they saw were Lavender and Parvati, giggling even more than usual. When they saw Ron, their giggles increased significantly and they started whispering furiously into each other’s ears.

“What? Is my face funny to you?” Ron snapped.

Parvati stopped whispering and looked at Ron. “Well, look who it is. You seem to be a bit crankier than usual, Ron. But it’s expected.”

“Oh? And why is it expected?”

“Well, I’d be cranky, too, if my future love is getting snuggly and cuddly with another person, especially a better looking other person.”

Lavender giggled loudly at this and they both walked away without another word.

“What is she talking about?” Ron asked, but Harry seemed as confused as he was.

They entered the common room after telling the Fat Lady what the password was (which was Flitterbloom). They saw Neville Longbottom reading a book about magical herbs, but the forgetful boy’s head shot up as he saw Ron.

“Ron!”

“Hey, Neville. What is it?”

“Do you know about Hermione and-” he gulped loudly, as if scared to say the words he wanted to say, “Scott McGregory?”

“What about her and that bloke?” Ron said coldly.

“Well, according to people, McGregory was comforting her by putting his arm around her shoulders. She was in a horrible state; crying and shaking her fist everywhere. Well, you know…” Neville muttered, careful not to get Ron angry. “They couldn’t tell if she liked his company, but she sure didn’t refuse it. So now, all the girls are assuming that they’re…well, together.”

There was a moment of silence; Ron’s mouth was sputtering soundlessly, having a difficult time believing Neville’s words.

“Well, I’m sure people are just spreading rumors. Sorry, Neville, but you shouldn’t listen to what other people are saying. We’ll just ask Hermione herself,” Harry said meekly.

“Yeah…” Ron said distantly.

“Come one, Ron, let’s get some lunch. You must be starving.”

Ron nodded mechanically, unable to focus on anything else besides Hermione and McGregory.

And for the first time in a long time, Ron didn’t feel hungry.