Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Calliope and Thalia and Their Inspiration by lucilla_pauie

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I hope this makes up for the near abandonment, dear readers. After being blocked toward the middle because of my lack of pranks in store, the other half was written in three hours, and it was such a fun three hours wherein I laughed so much in surprise and glee. Once again, what some writers say about the story moving by itself has been proven to me! Hee.
~o0o~ Sibling Rivalry ~o0o~





It had been a trial of a Tuesday.

It had rained the previous night; the morning was overcast. Callie thought it had been ominous. She had never seen a greyer day.

Shortly after breakfast, Kia and Thalia bumped into each other—and like the laden clouds above the Great Hall’s ceiling, the collision emitted sparks. Jessica and Jesusa immediately gasped exaggeratedly and just as melodramatically drew their arms sideways to shield the others moving toward the doors. Callie felt really violent toward the two, but chose to keep her eyes on Kia and Thalia.

“Come on, please, Lia,” said the Ellington-Shaw girl, tugging on Thalia’s arm.

Now, Thalia might have followed, but Kia’s Irish-Mexican temper erupted. “You don’t turn your backs on me. I will not be dismissed like that.”

Callie saw Thalia swell and turn red. Callie held her breath. But Thalia’s voice was like syrup. “I’m sorry, Ronk— Kia. Forgive us for being rude, Kia. By all means, shall we go off together?” She swept an arm gracefully and even bowed. “After you.”

Kia blinked, taken aback, and then nodded. Lia’s smile was angelic.

The moment Kia’s back was turned, however, Lia said in a carrying whisper: “Mud before springwater.”

Now, Callie had always been serene. Her grandfather had said it was exhausting just to rouse her. But that simple phrase uttered behind her somehow snapped something, jerked a plug, yanked a stopper...on the temper Callie didn’t know she had.

She whipped her head around and glared at Lia. Even as she did it, she had this small tug in her heart saying it was wrong to glare at this girl, but Callie was beyond tugging. If Kia hadn’t been quick to hold her wrist, Callie might have slapped or punched or drawn her wand.

As it was, Callie just said through gritted teeth, “Pearls before swine.*”

And then she shook off Kia’s hand only to grab it and haul her away.

They were the first to reach the Charms corridor. Kia dug her heels in to stop, panting, but Callie still continued running and didn’t stop until she was bent over a sink. She revisited her strawberry and clotted cream scones and sweet tea.

“Aww, Callie, you were really upset,” said Lia, still out of breath, arriving at the bathroom and promptly grabbing Callie’s hair.

Callie rinsed her mouth and moaned. What had come over her? She would have to apologize to Lia, and maybe even explain that she hated the word ‘mud’, because she had grown up being told stories of her dear mother being branded with that word. Of course, Lia might not have meant anything even remotely wicked, she was probably just teasing. Callie’s reaction, on the other hand— she grimaced.

She and Kia were quiet when they exited the toilet. A queue had formed by the time they went back to the Charms corridor. Lia was waiting for them, leaning against the wall and tapping her foot. The tapping stopped when she spotted Callie and Kia. And then she walked over.

Her face was blank, devoid of emotion. Their classmates watched avidly, and Jesusa and Jessica were being silly cows again, shielding everyone again. Callie gulped. She wanted to apologise in private, not in front of this meddlesome crowd. They wanted a show, and Callie had been raised with an aversion to such. It was tacky.

She opened her mouth to ask Lia if they could go away from the onlookers a bit, but Lia cut her off.

“You called us swine.”

Callie grimaced again. “I’m sorry.”

“You will be.”



~o0o~




It was absolute torture. Callie felt so sick she’d heaved herself dry before lunch. It was the first time she had an enemy, and that enemy was Lia, whom she liked so much and only inadvertently offended. Ugh.

To make it worse, Kia had heard the threat, so she had constantly looked around, never far away from Callie, giving everyone the evil eye, even the teachers, daring one and all to hex, kick or give undue detention.

After lunch, they had no more classes, and Callie wanted nothing more than to hide in bed and wish everything blown over by the next day.

She didn’t even raise her eyes from her feet as Kia steered her out the Great Hall.

Just then, Professor Flitwick appeared by her legs.

“Dears, can you kindly deliver a message to Professor Hagrid for me?” the tiny professor squeaked. “I lost the Bowtruckles he lent me for my class. They escaped and are probably back at the Forbidden Forest by now. I need him to give me two of them again. But no hurry. Have you got that?”

“Yes, professor,” said Kia. Callie just nodded.

“Thank you, dears! I’m off to my fifth-years. You can go to the Owlery and send the message by owl or you can go to Professor Hagrid yourselves and just tell him. He should be in his hut.” He conjured a tiny roll of parchment and gave it to them, a permission note.

Kia was delighted to go out to the grounds, but Callie was still miserable. She still kept her head down. She didn’t even notice Kia knocking on the door of the gamekeeper’s hut. She only gasped when she was knocked to the ground.

“Fang! Down, Fang! Are you alrigh’, miss?”

Callie got up and nodded.

“Sorry abou’ Fang. He gets overexcited when there’s comp’ny. What can I—? Huh. Look at you.”

Callie looked back down. Did Professor Hagrid see how wretched she was? Did he need to comment on it?

“Callie’s indisposed, Professor, don’t mind her. Professor Flitwick sent us...”

She tuned out the conversation. There was some argument. It sounded like Kia wanted to take the Bowtruckles and Professor Hagrid refused... and then there was Kia saying, “Thank you, sir. We’d love to. Maybe next time. I think I need to bring my friend to bed.”

And then they were walking back toward the castle. Callie looked back. She felt she’d been rude to Professor Hagrid as well. To her surprise, he stood there beside his big black dog, Fang, and he waved at her.

“He invited us to tea. He said you looked like a dear friend of his. Look, I think I see Professor Flitwick coming toward the doors to meet us. He must have worried about us green things out here for him.”

They sped up but the tiny professor still beat them to the front oak doors.

And then he was deluged in water.

Callie and Kia yelped. The water had splashed their socks and it was frigid.

Laughter erupted from behind the house-point hourglasses. Lia and Dionelise emerged. Of course, when they saw the sputtering Professor Flitwick, their laughter died quickly, and as though drained like the hogshead still floating several feet above everyone’s heads, their faces lost colour.

After three violent sneezes, Professor Flitwick dried himself, gave five points to Slytherin for a magnificent Levitation Charm, took twenty-five points from Slytherin for the use the charm had been put to, and stormed off. When he sneezed again as he reached the staircase, he turned around and yelled, “Another twenty-five points from Slytherin!”

At his yell, the hogshead dropped, narrowly missing Callie and Lia. They both jumped away. Without looking at each other, the four of them parted. That tension didn’t help Callie later as she lay in bed. She didn’t go down to dinner.

“Is it true you made Granger and Ellington-Shaw lose fifty points?” said Jesusa. Callie jumped and wearily turned to see the girl peering at her between the drawn bed curtains.

“Good job, witch!” said Jessica from somewhere in the room.

“Shut up or we’ll lose five hundred points because I murdered you,” said Kia.

Callie moaned.



~o0o~




The staff room usually filled between supper and bedtime, the one time of day when the Head students were in charge and the teachers were assured of no interruptions to their rest, but not eager to be abed just yet. Teaspoons rotated in teacups serenely. Quills scratching and abaci rattling were background music to the scattered chatter. The Headmistress was proud of her staff — well, most of them — and she rather liked being there in their midst, though she wasn’t one to contribute a word herself.

She had already told them, the newcomers, not to mind her in the least. She had never been one to talk, and as she grew older, Minerva had found she preferred listening more and more.

Annetta was after Minerva’s heart. They usually sat together in companionable silence, each reading a copy of Transfiguration Today, where Annetta’s dissertations were published every three months.

Today, however, Annetta was not in her usual place near the head of the table, but was in the middle, helping Pomona give Filius a Lemon, Gurdyroot-and-Plimpy Gills infusion, a lesser-known alternative to Pepper-up. The infusion was something very few Wizarding folk wanted or bothered with because of the smell. But Filius had a strange reaction to Pepper-Up. It made him noisily and very foully flatulent. Something Poppy wouldn’t take to account against a speedy cure. And as Poppy was quite devious when it came to stubborn patients, there Filius was.

“But it’s your hide when Poppy comes after you. Really, can you be even more infantile, escaping from the infirmary?” Annetta said.

Filius looked up from his smoking, reeking goblet to exchange a look with Minerva, whose lips and cheeks twitched in amusement. Annetta was thirty-four. Filius was half a century and a decade older.

“This Malfoy girl we have, is she a daughter of Draco Malfoy? There is no other, right?” Pomona asked, diverting Annetta’s scolding.

“Yes, dear,” Minerva answered without looking up from her paper, though she tensed inwardly.

“Never would have thought it,” said Filius. “Except for the grey eyes, she’s not a Malfoy at all. In fact, she reminds me of —”

“Janus, leave the cupboards alone!” Minerva barked. “Oh, I’m sorry; I thought I saw you approaching it in my peripheral vision. Do remember to stay away, dear, our cupboards are reserved for Hestia’s classes now. I never knew other enclosed spaces so prone to Boggarts. I think they like being here right under our noses.”

After this long uncharacteristic babbling from the Headmistress, the eccentric, slightly dotty Potions professor calmed down from his sputter and settled back to marking his class’s papers. Minerva smiled in apology at Filius for the interruption, but conveyed a warning in her eyes...

...which, unfortunately, was lost on Filius’s cold-fogged brain.

“And I never would have thought Miss Granger would have a child so soon as well. I remember resolving not to quit until I have taught a child of hers, but I hadn’t bargained my dream would be realised only a year over a decade.”

“She’s eleven, Filius,” cajoled Annetta, grinning, no doubt thinking the side-effects from the infusion was manifesting.

“No, no, I mean Hermione Granger, the mother of our current Miss Granger, who was the one who conspired with her friend the worthy Miss Feliciano to upend that rainwater hogshead on me.”

Minerva felt a muscle twitch below her eye. The cat was out. It had never been a secret, per se. Just never made public.

“The Hermione Granger? Harry Potter’s friend?” asked Annetta, who had lived in New Zealand.

“Yes, yes, she was a favourite of mine, of nearly all of us, isn’t that right?” Filius looked around at the table, showing his purple Gurdyroot-Plimpy moustache. “One of the cleverest we ever taught. She ought to have been in my House.”

Minerva didn’t snort at that, as was her wont. She only sighed and hoped this chat wouldn’t go too far. She’d promised Hermione to keep the gossip down.

“But wait a moment, if Miss Granger is Hermione Granger’s child, why Granger? Why isn’t the child using her father’s name?”

No one answered. Janus paused in his mouthing to glance up at the sudden silence. Everyone else had something to read or peer at while Annetta flushed at her faux pas.

“Essays so soon, Janus?” Annetta asked, to make up.

Janus blinked. “I, uh, made my students list their favourite Potions ingredients. A potion could come up from these, don’tchuh know.”

Filius, though now very groggy from Gurdyroot and Plimpy Gills, still took that in and sent another eloquent look to Minerva, who just shrugged philosophically. One couldn’t always have the best.



~o0o~




Lia picked at her breakfast that Wednesday morning. She’d confessed all to her Uncles Harry and Ron last night. She felt horrible. She’d lost Slytherin fifty points on her second day at school, (probably) made Professor Flitwick ill, and (certainly) hurt her sister.

Even while Lia exploited Dionelise’s impish alter-ego, she’d noticed Callie’s dejectedness throughout the day. Lia wanted to cancel any and all plans of a prank, but Dionelise had looked so radiant when they’d found that hogshead after looking where Callie and Kia had gone off to. Dionelise had been eager and unstoppable.

Lia looked over at her friend serenely sipping her tea. Her twin uncles would love Dionelise, after they discover what’s underneath the deceptive daintiness.

Mail arrived, but Lia didn’t have a reply from her uncles yet.

On the Gryffindor table, a pretty tawny owl with the symbol of a store in a silver chain around its neck landed in front of Callie. She took the slender box tied to the bird’s leg and unwrapped it.

Lia watched. Her breath caught as the cut-glass vase sparkled in the morning light. The moment Callie placed it on the table, a bouquet of wild and hothouse flowers sprouted and bloomed at the mouth of the vase. Callie was radiant now, a very different Callie from the day before. She read a small card, beaming widely. She said something to that Kia girl, and both of them grinned happily.

Lia felt her very first pinprick of jealousy.

And the pinprick didn’t remain a pinprick. By the time she went to the greenhouses, the pinprick was a gaping, throbbing hole of resentment in her chest. It didn’t help that she was surrounded with plants. No one had given her flowers before.

She didn’t have her father to give her flowers.

Only Callie would receive them.

Only Callie had him. And suddenly Callie wasn’t so innocent any longer. She had what Lia should have had.

After Herbology, Lia went to Transfiguration in the same listless state. Professor Morfosa scolded her for leaving everything blank in that first day’s surprise exam. The professor had only wanted to gouge the class’s knowledge of the basics and hadn’t asked anything beyond their course book’s first five pages, but Lia hadn’t answered anything, nor did she answer Professor Morfosa’s questioning. She ended up losing ten points.

Most of the Slytherins glared at her all through lunch.

“What’s the matter, Lia? Are you ill?”

She just shook her head at Dionelise.

It was her turn to hole up in their common room and not go down to dinner.

She wanted to hit herself for being silly, but she didn’t feel silly at all. Only sad. She’d need a night to stew over this and then she’d be better tomorrow.

Tomorrow, she wouldn’t care about her absentee father again.

So what if he gave flowers to his daughter? And who even said the flowers were from him? It was probably from another relative. A man who could leave her and her mother behind for another woman and another child just couldn’t be the kind to do that... sweet gesture.

She thumped her pillow and grunted.

“Lia?” Dionelise called outside her bed curtains. “We have to go to Astronomy.”

Lia sniffed and wrested her arm from under a pillow to peer at her watch. It was a half-hour to midnight.

She sat up and pulled her curtains back. Dionelise was sitting on her own bed, cloak already donned. She smiled at Lia tentatively. “Are you alright? You can stay in bed if you like. I’ll tell them you—”

“I’m fine, thanks.”

“Your cheeks are wet.”

Lia slapped herself in her haste to wipe. “I drool a lot.”

Dionelise nodded. Because she didn’t pry, Thalia put an arm around her shoulder after fastening her own cloak and they went out their dormitory and out the common room that way, side by side. Lia was glad of the comfort.

All first-years of all houses were stood there sandwiched by the battlements of the Astronomy Tower. Professor Sinistra checked attendance, snorted impatiently at the clouds, and conjured a projection of a portion of the Milky Way herself.

“Before you grumble that we might as well have done this in a classroom, this spell I just used only works when cast from high up, as we are here, or atop a hill or a mountain. Now just be patient and listen to me. We’ll be through in another half-hour or so, dears...”

Lia didn’t even realise she’d been staring at Callie until Callie caught her eye and smiled the same smile Dionelise had given earlier: hesitant and timid.

Oh, and she was right to be hesitant and timid, what with her mother being a... usurper! Lia glared and looked away.

The class finished without Lia remembering a thing. She jumped when a hand closed around her wrist and pulled her away from the end of the spiral staircase to the hallway.

“What are you doing?” She pulled away violently and hit her hand on the stone wall. “Ow!”

Callie reached for her hand again but Lia drew back, glaring.

“I want us to be friends again, please, Lia,” Callie said, taking Lia’s wrist again and ignoring Lia’s tugs. “I’m so sorry for what I said Monday. It was just temper and— please, I don’t want you angry with me still. What can I do to make up?”

For several moments, Lia wanted to hold Callie’s hand and put an arm around her. But soon after Callie finished speaking in that pleading, sweet voice, Lia’s resentment returned. “There’s nothing either of us could do,” she said vehemently. “Oh wait, you can write and tell your mother I hope she’s happy and that she doesn’t choke whenever she eats.”

With that, she wrenched her arm away and stalked off without turning back even though Callie called to her loudly, outraged.

That’s right. Let her feel an iota of what I feel.



~o0o~




Callie lay awake all night. Even by the time there was light seeping in through the parting in her bed drapes, she still didn’t move. In the end, Kia had to leave by herself to breakfast. That was long ago. It must now be less than an hour before Defence Against the Dark Arts, but Callie cared little.

Her teeth ached. She didn’t know how long she’d been clenching her jaws to keep from screaming. Her fists ached, too. She’d had to clench them to keep from running like mad to the Slytherin common room and demand answers from Lia.

What did Lia know about Callie’s mother?

And whatever she knew, how dare she talk like that!



~o0o~




Hermione found the cottage at the very corner of the bend separating the residences from the business hub of Hogsmeade.

She grudgingly admitted it was nice, log and brick, tucked in the middle of trees and flowerbeds. The arched windows had forest green shutters with shamrocks carved in the middle.

Smoke curled from the fat chimney.

Her knees nearly buckled. They were here.

Or was it just him? And why?

Hermione took a deep breath, squared her shoulders and walked through the open garden gate. She might as well get this over with while she was here. She had every right to question him. They’d signed an agreement. She didn’t remember any codicils giving him even the tiniest leeway to this madness.

There was another shamrock on the door, this one brass. The third leaf was suspended over a matching brass knob. A knocker. Hermione tapped it with her wand. It lifted and dropped thrice, making a discreet tap-tap-tap.

It matched her heart’s drum. Who would open the door? Would it be—

“Hermione?”

Oh, no, he couldn’t do this. Hermione gritted her teeth and squared her shoulders again. She ignored Draco’s—she ignored him, and asked, also whispering, but without the awe, “Is Calliope here?”

Draco’s jaw popped audibly as he closed his mouth. He also closed the door.

“We have an agreement, if I recall correctly.” All business now. Huh. Well. Hermione was the queen of ‘all business’.

“Yes, we do. Which is why I’ve come to demand answers. You broke the agreement. A Wizarding agreement. I want to know how you’re breathing and talking and walking without so much as a hint of a recent blood poisoning.”

“Why, you’re right, I’m healthy as a hippogriff! I think I didn’t break the agreement.”

“Don’t play games with me!” She wanted to slap his arm, but that meant touching him. She wouldn’t touch him. “What did you do? How—?”

“How about we discuss it in The Three Broomsticks? Or Madam Puddifoot’s, if you prefer?”

Hermione growled. Draco chuckled, which made Hermione growled again.

“Don’t you want to show off your new property?”

He lost his smile. Hermione had lost her vehemence.

“Can I see her? I mean, she doesn’t have to see me, I just—”

She saw him wince when her voice broke. Ignoring her start of surprise, and then her struggles, he put his arm around her shoulder and steered her toward High Street, away from the cottage.

“Let me go, Draco!”

“I already did once. And I regret it.”



~o0o~




Some miles away at Hogwarts castle, Draco’s little girl likewise insinuated herself on Hermione’s little vixen.

Callie had missed Defence, but now she was in Charms. Professor Flitwick hadn’t arrived yet though the first-years had been in the classroom ten minutes already. The Ellington-Shaw girl had gone to check what was holding up the professor in his office.

So Callie had taken her place lightning-quick beside Thalia Maura Granger.

“What did you mean by what you said last night about my mother?”

Lia shrugged, not looking at her, though Callie saw her recoil a little. “Did I use deep, deep words last night? Don’t you understand it?”

“No, I don’t!”

Lia tilted her chin a little. “How old are you?”

Callie was so taken aback by the question Lia had to answer it herself. “You’re eleven, too, right?”

Callie nodded.

“So we’re the same age.”

“Will you just answer my question? What does our ages have to do with my mother?”

Now Lia turned to give her a cutting look. “Let me tell you something about me. My father’s name is Draco Malfoy.”

Callie clapped a hand to her mouth.

Because as soon as Lia said it, Callie somehow knew it wasn’t untrue. Her eyes moved to Lia’s hair, to Lia’s chin... and those eyes, though they were brown—

Suddenly, she was furious.

“So this is why,” she said under her breath.

Lia heard her. “Oh, you bet this is why!” she said derisively.

Callie was quiet now. She was always quiet when she was utterly, utterly angry. She continued to whisper, “You and your mum is why my mum left my dad.”

“What? How dare you! You and your mum is why my dad left my mum!”

They didn’t know any hexes yet, but they pointed their wands at each other’s faces just the same. Their magic crackled loudly as sparks flew.



~o0o~




The Three Broomsticks would be too crowded for their conversation. Madam Puddifoot’s was out of the question. Draco ended up leading Hermione to Chez Belinda’s, a new restaurant he’d been planning to try anyway.

That he was about to do so with Hermione astounded him. His insides were probably still somewhere around his calves. Nothing had prepared him to her arrival at his very doorstep so soon. He’d expected an owl, a Howler. He’d hoped it might even have been a call on the Floo. But here she was beside him.

“Bon jour, bienvenu. I’m Belinda. Table for two? Would you like to be in the patio facing the back garden, perhaps? Right this way, s’il vous plait.”

He liked Belinda. The woman didn’t bat an eye even when Hermione threw off his arm and elbowed him. Belinda just nodded back at him when he nodded to her questions.

He pulled a chair for Hermione but she sat down on another. Pity. Their surroundings were quite too pleasant for an unpleasant mood.

“Your server will be with you shortly.” Belinda left. She was probably glad to. And Draco doubted she would dare send a server and risk losing that server to Hermione’s apparent wrath.

Draco expelled breath noisily. Hermione didn’t look at him. She was too busy rending the strap of her bag and blinking. Oh, gods, she was near tears.

“Callie isn’t at the cottage, Hermione. I didn’t drag you away from her.”

She sighed. He saw her mouth ‘Callie’ before turning to him.

“Tell me everything. Why are you in England? It was in the agreement that you’d stay in France and wouldn’t ever try seeing—”

“I did stay in France. And I’m not trying to see Thalia.”

She gritted her teeth and there was a sharp sound as the leather strap she’d been twisting finally snapped off her bag. She ignored it. “I can’t believe it, is there really no time indicative in that clause about your ‘stay’ in France?”

Pop! She’d conjured the document. She read through it expertly. “Oh, Merlin.”

“Yeah, well, it was rather hastily drawn, if I recall.” Oh, and how he recalled. Every single detail. Even the exact eggshell shade of the curtains in that room at St Mungo’s. And how she’d looked in that bed, emitting a joyful glow even as her eyes glared. How she’d smelled. Beating the reek of potions, the scent of motherhood, sweetness and milk, had come from her.

As if she was thinking the very same thing, she made the document vanish and looked toward the garden again.

He took his chance and stared his fill of her.

She hadn’t changed, though of course the past eleven years showed on her face—in a kind way, a beautiful way. She was beautiful. He couldn’t remember those years when he didn’t think of her as that.

His heart made a dismayed bound in his ribcage when she got to her feet. “Well, good luck on whatever reason you’re here.”

Without looking at him, she left.

“Oh, dear, I hope she wasn’t too upset. But no wonder if she was. I completely understand. Shall I get you anything, M’sieur Malfoy?” Belinda was back.

“I’m sorry. I think I’ll come back later.” Leaving several Galleons on the table, Draco got up. He was suddenly so tired though he’d only been up for an hour.

Belinda escorted him wordlessly to the door. She opened her mouth—probably to wish him a good day—but he spoke over her.

“What did you mean when you said it would be no wonder if she was upset? You know her?” Do you know about us?

“Well, that was Hermione Granger, wasn’t it? I’ve always seen her going here in Hogsmeade with Mr Potter and Mr Weasley during their Hogwarts days. Pity I didn’t have the Chez then. But I only just got the money from my grand-mĂ©re—Oh, I’m sorry for rambling. What was it you asked? Oh, yes. Well, I just thought she wouldn’t be overly happy. It was in the paper that she’d resigned from her position in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. They probably did something she doesn’t approve of. We can only wonder. It wasn’t said what it was. And one doesn’t fire Miss Granger. She’s the type who can only resign to pry herself away from a job. Well. Welcome to the neighbourhood, M’sieur Malfoy. I hope you don’t cook.” Belinda smiled affably.

Draco returned it. “Oh, I don’t. And I’m suddenly famished. I think you can feed me now.”

Belinda was delighted. When he was seated again, this time just in the main dining room, he said, “Can I see that Daily Prophet?”



~o0o~




Hermione tried not to think about anything but the delicious heat of the water. She lolled her head back and reached for the teacup at the edge of the tub. Chamomile, mmm. She’d be fine in a moment.

Just mustn’t think. Mustn’t recall. Mustn’t imagine.

Tap-tap-tap.

She groaned. Even that be-damned knocker was etched in her memory!

Tap-tap-tap.

Hermione pushed open one eyelid. Oh, an owl. She squinted. If it was Julius’s with another pestering letter asking her to revoke her irrevocable resignation, she was going to have to break something.

But it wasn’t Julius’s owl. This one was a regal black, not pretentious gold.

She rose from the bath and without bothering to throw on a robe, she reached up and opened the window just enough to let the owl in.

The Hogwarts crest was on the envelope, and typical of Hogwarts’ owls, the bird left as soon as Hermione took the letter.

“Dear Hermione,



I hope this letter reaches you in fine health and spirits.

I’ve read about your resignation from your job at the Ministry. I am herewith offering—nay, begging—that you take the post of Charms Professor at Hogwarts. And I will rather write to you as a friend rather than a prospective employer, too; hence this informal missive.

Filius has been restricted to bed rest for a week, and then he is no longer to exert himself to cope with the demands of teaching after that. He had a bad cold. And the Healers say it was one of those colds that never leave. We found him unconscious in his office this morning. He had fatigued himself.

Well, he was getting on. I’m sure if I had been drenched by hogshead water in the middle of autumn I won’t be able to recover fully either. He has of course protested violently about Poppy’s and the Healers’ sentence, but in the end, he gave in. With the condition that we give the job only to someone with your calibre. You are still his favourite.

It is uncanny that you had also just resigned from your job.

I’m sure Filius will be ecstatic it’s you who will be taking over for him.

And I’m sure he will forgive your daughter for the hogshead incident, too, if he hasn’t already. You know how kind he is.

Speaking of your daughter, prior to my being summoned to Filius’s office, she and another student, Calliope Malfoy, had hexed each other while waiting for their indisposed professor. Nothing serious. Just sparks. I talked to them, but they both said nil about the matter. As neither of them were unharmed (mild burns has been magically, perfectly treated, of course), and as we were occupied with the matter of Charms having no teacher, they received no punishment but the loss of points and a warning from me. They are good children (naturally, for they are yours), I’m confident that was sufficient.

Now, Hermione, I await your owl. I do hope you will join my staff.



Sincerely,
Minerva




Hermione didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

She took a towel from the rack and dried herself, her mouth still gaping and closing at the contents of the letter.

By the time she exited to her bedroom, however, she was smiling wryly.

Minerva could very well be a Slytherin. The letter was so subtle in its cunning, but cunning all the same. She had sealed every nook and cranny, fired every arrow and shot every apple. Hermione wouldn’t be able to do anything but accept the post.

And accept it Hermione would. Oh, gods. She couldn’t wait to be there at Hogwarts.

It would be good to teach Charms. I’d always wanted to teach. It had been a cherished childhood dream. I’m going to Hogwarts to teach.

She waited. No spider feet crawled over her limbs. No cloud shrouded her vision. No sponge closed on her lungs.

She grinned. She was now glad the agreement had been hastily drawn.
Chapter Endnotes: *This idiom was used as a riposte by the American wit and writer Dorothy Parker, to Clare Boothe Luce, who, motioning Dorothy to precede her to a door, said to Dorothy, ‘Age before beauty’. It inspired the scene here.

There you go. Thank you for reading! Please tell me what you think.