Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Calliope and Thalia and Their Inspiration by lucilla_pauie

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
~o0o~ Omissions ~o0o~






Oh, Thalia,

You don’t know how much I appreciated it when I saw Athena winging to our house. Forgive your mother for being melodramatic, darling, but I missed you so much. We’ve never been apart like this before.

I sent her back immediately because look at the size of this letter. I thought I’d just answer your train and House letter in one.

Slytherin. I can’t say I didn’t see this coming. I don’t really care about that, love. Well, I do, yes, but only because I — never mind, I know you’ll be — are— wise enough to discern who’s a treasure and who’s not.

And it’s normal to not hear everything during the Sorting. I remember being in a daze myself though I did drink everything in, and that included my fellow students’ names. I’m sure you will meet Grace again just as I’m sure she won’t be offended if you confess you missed her name.

Yes, my hair colour is quite common and grey eyes are not rare. Why did you say that? I hope you still like her. She sounds like a lovely girl. Do look her up again, won’t you? Goodness knows you can do with a well-bred friend! But I love you the way you are just the same. I’m so happy you’ve found friends quickly. This Dionelise sounds very interesting as well. I can’t wait for the holidays so you can have your friends visit. Honey, I know how much you longed for a friend your age, you know. I’m sorry I rather kept you to myself. Aside from your magic being unstable for Muggle school, I just really liked having you close. My darling vixen.

I’m in your room right now. I think I’ll be sleeping here until I get over my empty nest. No one raids the fridge any more and I don’t hear drawers containing secret hordes of sweets rasping... It’s rather lonely. So write often, okay, Thalia?

Your uncles and Aunt Ginny only left me after we got your House announcement. Do write your Aunt Ginny. She’s in a bad way and your Uncle Harry is to be pitied. She actually threw my otter paperweight at him. I don’t know why. I only know that Uncle Harry might have a hard time writing, because a bump that size must hurt terrible.

Now, you didn’t forget anything? I can’t believe you have six jumpers left here. And you didn’t pack your galoshes either.

Always go to bed early so you’ll be alert in classes. If you can, do share with me your class schedule, so I’ll know where you are every hour. Visit Hagrid. And remember what we discussed about the out-of-order toilets and Peeves.

Oh, yes, good job on obeying your Head Girl. Keep on like that.


All my love,
Mum

PS: Forgive my rambling, Thalia. And no, you don’t have to send me your class schedule! Your mum doesn’t deal well with separation from her darling vixen, does she? If I can turn this into a Hugger, you’ll be spending your schooldays attached to a letter.



~o0o~




Callie,

For Merlin’s sake, this is the first letter I’ll send you, isn’t it? We’ve never been apart like this to necessitate post. I’d prefer Flooing, but that’s not allowed. So excuse my terse greeting. You know it’s accompanied by a hug and kiss.

Your father is poorly. But I’ll get by. As long as you’re such a sweet angel. So that means I’ll get by forever.

I sympathise with Ronquilla. That’s an ugly name. Gryffindor, on the other hand, is atrocious.

No, I’m only kidding, of course.

I’m rather glad you’re in Gryffindor. I think you’ll be less susceptible to the effects of our name’s infamy there, actually. Remember what we talked about? Hold you head high, love. But not too high.

Your mother named you Calliope. Your grandmother named you Grace. We have enough Latin and ancestral names to fill a book. But none of them seemed to fit you. Your grandfather did think it rather plebeian. He calls you ‘sweet pea’, so why not avenge yourself and go ahead and call him ‘Poppy’?

As for your being an only child in your families, you might not be, yes. But don’t concern your pretty head about it.

This Thalia Maura Granger you speak of, I like her. Though I’m very partial to your caramel hair, I like blondes, you know. No wonder she’s in Slytherin. Maybe her frankness will rub off on you and help you handle boys. You’re too polite to them, you know. You mustn’t encourage them like that. You should just tell them to bugger off right out. Yes, that’s not gracious, but better to be ungracious than Some people need to be repelled, that’s all. And that includes boys.

I’m so glad of your two letters so far. They distract me from your grandparents. They’re the ones who held me back from replying to your first post. Mercury didn’t vent his fury on you, did he? Your grandparents positively flung him back into flight so you can have him to tell us your House. They’re insane. They’re driving me halfway to insanity as well. Now, this is no way to speak about them, I know, but just between you and me — and it’s not as if you don’t ridicule me behind my back with your grandfather either.

They’re going back to France tonight. Aunt Pansy and I spent yesterday shopping, and we’ve been successful. Guess what, Callie? We found a nice little cottage in Hogsmeade! It will cost a fortune, but I want to be near you. I’ll be in Floo with your grandfather about the vineyard everyday, that’s all. And maybe one day, I can visit and see you and your friend Thalia, eh? And yeah, Kia, too.

Your grandparents will surely send you their love on their own. Prepare for interesting cookies from Aunt Pansy. Don’t give them to Mercury. You don’t want to poison your owl.


Love,
Father



~o0o~




Both their bent heads looked up smiling from their respective letters, at their respective tables. Callie’s face was a little pinched, as if she was fighting not to cry or not to laugh. Lia’s was determined, almost fierce.
Chapter Endnotes: This is my shortest work-in-progress chapter, ever. But I can’t help it; this just begs to be posted on its own. Spotlight on the implications. Hee. I want you to stew in them for a while. *wink and grin* LIke father like daughter, huh? I’ll be back soonest with more, now that our moderators are back on schedule. Thank you for the reads and reviews, lovies. Especially for the reviews! You are my muses. Forgive the delay. My other life, ya know.

And OliveOil_Med has made this fic a fantastic video! It's on youtube, tagged lucilla_pauie. Do check it out. I'm not an expert on such things but I love it to pieces. Thanks, Molly!!