Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Little Lighter Than Black by kritchen

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to Nikki again for beta-ing. :]
Chapter Five:
Imprints of Friendship


Aveline found me alone in the stairwell, still staring down the steps. She took my hand without question, and led me to lunch. She seemed to know that I’d tell her what was on my mind when I was ready, and I would too, as soon as I could figure it out myself. My thoughts were in a tumble, confusing, overlapping, and hard to make out.

Next thing I knew, I was sitting myself down in the Great Hall beside Aveline, who had just placed a sandwich on my plate, along with some chips. She didn’t speak, just left me alone to my thoughts. Bless her for that. It was hard figuring out the emotions that twisted through my stomach. They were illogical, irrational. It didn’t make any sense for me to be feeling this way.

I didn’t know the girl; I had only spent an hour with her. It wasn’t like she was extravagantly beautiful…

A voice in my mind argued with that thought. While Andromeda wasn’t pretty or beautiful in the usual sense, her beauty came from something that shone from her heart and soul, radiating outwards... That sounded insane even inside my own head, but it was true. Her rather simple, rounded features were eye-catching because of something other than her quiet beauty.

I rolled my eyes at myself, stuffing a chip into my mouth. No matter how I tried to explain it to myself, I still got a funny sensation in my heart whenever I thought of being stuck in the small niche with the Slytherin. She hadn’t tried to become part of the wall in order to avoid touching me. She accepted it as it was; relaxed as she could be while hoping Peeves wouldn’t find us. I could remember the sensation of feeling her chest brush mine. The way I could feel the strength of her heart beating had been something indescribable.

What had affected me the most was the way she had looked up at me through her eyelashes. She seemed so shy and unsure in that moment… The urge to give her a tight hug had been hard to fight.

It was difficult to do but I forced myself to face the truth; I was attracted to her. Not the usual admiration of good looks or the occasional twinge of lust. It went much deeper than that. I wanted to get to know her, befriend her. It was an impossible hope to entertain.

My mind dug up a memory from long ago, stirring me from my thoughts.

“Aveline?” I looked at my friend quizzically.

“Yes?” Her reply was absentminded as she glanced at the Ravenclaw table surreptitiously. I knew exactly where her mind really was: she was trying to figure out a way to get closer to the Ravenclaw guy she adored. Shaking my head, it almost distracted me from my original point. I closed the mouth I had opened. Stay focused Ted.

“Do you remember that girl I was friends with for about a month back in our first year?”

“Mmhm…” The sound was only a murmuring affirmative.

“Right. Do you remember her name?”

Oh, it sounded so much sillier put out there but I didn’t try to take it back. I really wanted to know. I simply couldn’t remember her name. I could vaguely remember what she looked like. I could remember the things we had done together and how we had met.

Aveline finally looked at me, her gray eyes narrowed in suspicion. “Why are you asking?”

I shrugged. I honestly didn’t know. It felt so familiar being with Andromeda. Oh wow. I was beginning to use her first name in my thoughts already. Shaking my head, I looked at her helplessly.

“I don’t know, Av. Just some sort of feeling that is telling me I should know.”

She seemed to understand my need to know. Nodding, she took a moment to consider. After a few minutes, she turned to me again.

“She had a name like a star or constellation. I don’t remember it exactly. I think it started with a B…”

Well, that made it a bit harder. I knew next to nothing about the stars. I thought it over and came up with a plan.

“Want to go to the Library with me after lunch?”

Aveline still looked suspicious but shrugged. “Why not? Free period is next.”

I nodded in agreement. She went back to staring at the table next to us. I went back to eating. My thoughts were still muddled and confused. I was a generally decisive sort of fellow. It bothered me to be unable to figure these feelings out. Sighing, I turned to my memories. Maybe I could figure something out by going over what I did remember.

I was late. It was a good thing I was going to Slughorn’s class. He wouldn’t mind so much. I ran around a corner and into something rather solid and soft.

“Oomph!” That sounded very much like a girl’s voice.

I rose on my elbows from my spot on my floor. A girl was sprawled on the floor in front of me, clutching her stomach as she sat up. There was something about her. She wasn’t exactly thin, rather well rounded. Her face was round and honest looking. Her eyes were bright and seemed generally cheerful. Her hair was cut short, barely brushing her shoulders in thick amber colored waves.

“I’m so sorry! Are you okay?” I gushed out, unable to help my Hufflepuff tendencies.

She seemed short of breath as I scrambled over to her on the floor. Finally, she looked at me, her eyebrows drawn together.

“Maybe you shouldn’t be running in the hallways?” She offered in reply.

I shrugged. Her sharp tone was well deserved. I held out my hand. “I’m Ted Tonks.”

She grasped it, her small hand dwarfed by mine.

“Andromeda Black. Hufflepuff right?”


The self assurance and bright smile had won me over in seconds. Every little detail came flooding back to me. How I managed to forget, God only knows.

Andromeda and I had become fast friends though. She asked me to be her partner in our Defense Against the Dark Arts class. We studied together. It was with her help that I met Aveline. I had fancied my tall, blonde friend then. She never actually knew of Andromeda’s involvement.

Andromeda and I would probably still be friends if it weren’t for her older sister, Bellatrix. Bellatrix did not like our friendship. She believed her sister to be above being friends with anyone who wasn’t from a long line of wizards and witches. Andromeda had told me towards the end of our friendship that Bellatrix had threatened her. Bellatrix had tried to hex and curse Andromeda into submission. I had been proud of my friend’s strength and of her faithfulness but anger was like a poison when I heard that. It took both Aveline and Andromeda to calm me down after that bit of news.

I didn’t believe Andromeda’s warnings about her sister. I was sure of myself and my ability to protect myself. That was until she cornered me in an empty classroom one day. She did that several times but I was determined to stay friends with my Andromeda. So, Bellatrix tried a new tactic. She told me she’d do something to Andromeda and Aveline both if I didn’t back off. I believed her of course. If anyone else had seen the look in her eyes, he or she would have believed Bellatrix too…

Finally, I dragged my mind from the depths of memory lane after I received a sharp jab in my ribs. Aveline was looking at me pointedly, her brows drawn together quizzically.

“Her name didn’t start with a B.”

She looked uncomprehendingly at me. “It didn’t?”

“Nope. It started with an A. Her name was Andromeda Black.”

My friend stared at me, confused. It seemed she thought I had gone loony. “Right. Close enough,” she stated flatly.

I shrugged. It was close enough. When trying to ignore her pointed looks failed, I gave in to her probing glances. I told her everything, but omitted the emotions and thoughts I had struggled with not long ago. The walk down my dusty memories was kept from her as well. She would have blown it out of proportion as girls often do. It was nothing. I felt uncomfortable even thinking of her knowing.

----------------------------------------


Weeks passed and autumn turned into winter without much fanfare. Aveline and I did our schoolwork and enjoyed the cool weather cheerfully. The first thick snowfall came on a Hogsmeade weekend. Our friends and I took advantage of the powered fluff, creating havoc on the school grounds with a well designed snowball fight.

Andromeda and I didn’t interact much after the event on the staircase. We saw each other in a few classes, in the hallways. She never acknowledged me. I never acknowledged her. I was willing to forget the entire thing altogether. I would have too if it weren’t for the tremendous sensation that stirred whenever I saw her.

In attempt to forget, I threw myself into everything I did. I came back from Quidditch practices exhausted. Our team did rather well as a result. My schoolwork was kept up to date with no last minute copying from Aveline. She rather appreciated that. I made even more friends among the younger students. Never before had I attempted to. I was rather glad that I had. A few were quite fun to hang with. A fifth year girl, Margaret, was pretty and witty. I had been surprised she wasn’t in Ravenclaw, at least until I witnessed the strength of her empathy.

A month passed since that moment. November came and went as the end of term approached. Aveline chose to go home for the holidays while I chose to stay. Her family was traveling to some ancient family castle to stay with relatives. I wasn’t quite sure what I was going to do without her. Most of our friends were going home too. I had thought of going home as well but I had no wish to join my family and their jaunt to the Americas.

Not that worried over it, I was pleased to find that Margaret was staying as well. She was plenty of fun, as well as good for the downtime. Aveline seemed rather annoyed at my lack of sadness over her leaving. We had been friends for over seven years now but were soon to part. I pointed this out to her and received a smart smack across the head as she packed for her trip.

“That’s not the point at all, Ted. You’re a right prat sometimes.” She glared at me, beginning to abandon her neat organizing.

I watched as she threw clothes haphazardly into a bag and opened my mouth to tell her she’d regret it later. A sharp look from her quickly caused me to close it again. My head still smarted from where she had hit me earlier. I took the wiser route.

“I’m sorry love.” I tried my best to sound contrite and sincere.

She didn’t seem fooled but my loveable friend flashed me a grin.

“Am I really your love?” She asked me playfully.

“But of course! Who else have I ever claimed undying, unrequited love for?” I shot back, pretending to be stung by her implied words.

The blonde appeared to consider this seriously. She shot me a sly look out of the corner of her gray eyes. “Oh I dunno… That Margaret girl?”

This really did surprise me. Was my best pal jealous perhaps of my new girly pal? “Av, my dear, are you jealous?” I teased.

She looked put out at my accusation. Deciding not to reply, she swung her long hair over her shoulder and began organizing the mess she had made.

“Aw, Av, I was only playing. A’course you’re my best pal and my one and only love. I promise you that.” I rose as I spoke, walking over to her to slide my arms around her thin waist.

We had been like brother and sister since our failed romantic relationship first year. The sensitive blonde couldn’t handle my unconscious flirting with other girls as my girlfriend. Even now, she was very possessive of her claim as best pal. Many people took our closeness as something more. We knew better though.

Aveline hugged my arms around her and nodded against my shoulder. “I better be.” Her tone was joking when she replied.

She seemed to be done with packing. The thought saddened me. I gave her one last squeeze around the middle before settling on the edge of her bed.

“Promise to owl me. You’ll tell me all about your lovely family heritage, won’t you?”

My friend smiled and agreed as she folded the last shirt and placed it in her bag. I wasn’t supposed to be here. I sat on her bed peacefully however. I had discovered the way here in third year. It took me a while but it was better late than never.

It was always Aveline leaving on holiday. I hardly ever went home to my family. They were always off on holiday trips across the world. I let them have their non-magical fun. My older brother was jealous, my baby sister was idolizing, Mum was proud and Dad was standoffish. It was just best not to deal with them.

“All right my love, time to leave,” she teased me. I picked up her bag as she turned to me.

Together we headed towards the common room. Within, we found fellow Hufflepuffs with bags around their feet saying their goodbyes. Aveline stopped to say farewell to some of her friends before returning to my side. We stepped through the portrait hole, ducking under the round lintel. The silence between us was companionable as we strolled down the corridor.

We passed the kitchen’s still life. I couldn’t help thinking that it’d be the last time I walked Aveline down to the entrance hall. It was the last time for a lot of things this year. She caught my sad smile and nudged me.

“Don’t be sad. I’ll be back sooner than you think.”

I laughed. “I better take advantage of my solitude now!”

She huffed and sped up, skipping up the stairs to the ground floor.

“Aw, Aveline, I was only messin’ with you.” I went after her, finding her waiting for me beyond the steps.

I caught her up in another hug, grinning as she laughed at my spontaneity. Placing her back on the ground, I kissed her cheek playfully. She wouldn’t let me walk her all the way to the train. Aveline said she was more than able to do that by herself. I was forced to watch her walk away with the others. Again, it crossed my mind that this was the last time I’d be doing this.

Caught up in my thoughts, I was startled when a small, cool, hand clamped onto my shoulder. Weight was applied and warm breath tickled my ear.

“You two are close, aren’t you?”

I’d know that voice anywhere. I turned toward the sound. The warning of her voice wasn’t enough for the sight of her in Muggle clothes standing before me.

“Andromeda! Wha-I mean, we are.” I started to voice a question only to interrupt myself.

She smiled up at me, amusement in her eyes. “Hello Ted.”

“Hello.” I was stunned by the sight of her. Not a word in weeks, not the slightest encounter at all, but now she was here. Old feelings and emotions came rushing back, teasing me with ideas.

“You seem surprised,” Andromeda commented; her soft voice laced with laughter.

I nodded in response. She took a moment, looking me up and down in my own casual wear. The sensation of her stare sent heat through my body. Her face suddenly broke out in a wide smile, a dimple showing up in her round cheeks. I returned the smile cheerfully.

“Let’s take a walk.” She slipped her hand into my elbow, and led me from the entrance hall. I looked down at her, wondering. Where were we going? Where was all this heading?