Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Broken Hearts, Unlike Broken Quills, Are Not Easily Mended by Mistletoe

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“I’m shamelessly addicted to chocolate.” His muffled voice came from somewhere in the depths of the creased pillow. “And water. I like water.” Remus felt the warm body shift and rise next to him, slowly moving out of the bed. The floor let out a slow moan as the heavy weight pressed down on it.

He buried himself deeper into the seemingly never-ending folds of the bed sheets and listened to the repetitive pounding of Sirius’ feet moving down the stairs that seemed to match the pounding of his own head.

Jolting his head up in realisation, which he instantly regretted, he remembered that Sirius had been in the bed next to him. The pounding of the feet on the stairs was now growing closer. Turning over to face the man that would soon enter, he squinted his eyes, allowing a smile on his face.

There he was, chocolate in one hand, water in the other.

“You dog.”

“Yes, I am a dog. Have been since I was fifteen. I am not, however, a drunkard as you are. Never could hold your liquor,” he replied as he walked to Remus, handing him the attempted remedies. “Molly slipped something in the water for your poor head.”

“Fantastic woman she is.” Remus took the glass and took a long sip, a warm feeling washing over his body, running to his fingertips and through his veins. The pounding lessened substantially, and he took a few more gulps to finish off the drink before taking the chocolate from Sirius’ outstretched hands.

Their fingers brushed. Sirius had been lying with him. Remus hadn’t had a drink in over five years.

“Back to my previous accusation,” Remus stated, taking a chunk out of the chocolate. “You’re a dog.”

Sirius sat at the foot of the bed, one side of his mouth curling into a smile. “It would be very kind of you to give me a bit more information as to what you’re accusing me of since I have been accused of being a dog when the word has had many different meanings.”

“You hopped in bed with me while I was sleeping, unawares. Took total advantage of me.”

“I assure you, no advantage was taken, however much it could have been.”

Remus chuckled and took the last few bites to finish his chocolate. Brushing his hands together over the edge of the bed, he looked back at Sirius to see that his joking manner was not reflected in his features. His upturned lips had faded into a grimace and his eyes were glazed over in thought, staring at invisible objects located somewhere near the floor.

“You don’t remember much of last night, then, do you?”

“Oh, dear.”

Frantic scenes shot through Remus’ mind as he tried to piece together the night before. He remembered sitting at his table then walking through his back door. He remembered arriving at the square in front of Grimmauld Place. He remembered looking up at Sirius as he was being pinned to the bed.

“I didn’t dance around naked, did I?” Remus asked, trying to catch Sirius’ fleeting glance, but his attempted jest hung dry in the air between them.

“No, Moony, nothing of the sort. You didn’t really do anything, other than giggling like a schoolgirl and drooling on my robes as I dragged you up the stairs. It was more of your presence that you seem to be forgetting.”

Remus went silent at these words that he had heard once many years ago, however different the implication.

--

“Would you walk faster?”

“Peter! You stepped on my toe.”

“Oops, thought that was just a root.”

“All bloody idiots you are.”

“Oi! There it is. Now all of you can shut up.”

They pushed open the door and the hinges creaked loudly. “I bet the people down in the village could hear that. No wonder they think this place is haunted.”

“They think it’s haunted because of you Moony, don’t fool yourself.” Sirius gave him a firm pat on the back and shoved him into the room after James. “Let’s get a move on. No need to keep the entire Gryffindor common room waiting, especially after that performance, James! Gryffindor, Slytherin, 340-50!”

Remus watched as Sirius twirled out of the shack’s door, singing songs dedicated to a blustering James, and Peter laughed along, prodding James. He joined the boys and walked down the beaten path that they had snuck along so many times, loudly laughing and joking in high spirits over the win.

When they reached the Three Broomsticks, they unlatched the back lock, as was normal, and walked in, taking care to lower their voices to merry whispers.

“Padfoot, it’s your turn to get it.”

“All right, but you all owe me. Last time Peter didn’t pay.”

The three boys stared back at him. “Sirius, you have not once paid any of us back for buying the drinks.”

Shrugging his shoulders, he peaked around the back wall, searching the patrons for the familiar faces of teachers, but found none. “Coast is clear.”

He sauntered out from their hiding place and around to the front of the bar. Rosmerta saw him and cast him a reproving glance before walking towards the other boys.

“You all are going to get caught in here one day,” she whispered to them before turning her back and grabbing an already made bag to hand to Sirius. She said a few words and he grinned back, probably tossing away one of his lines in return. Handing over a few Galleons, he said something inaudible from their stance and she laughed, shaking her head.

Bag in one arm, the other swaying nonchalantly by his side, he walked back, not pausing when he reached the other three, but continuing to walk. When they reached outside, he dropped his grandiose demeanour and hastily put the bag on the ground to examine its contents.

“She magically expanded it! I was wondering how this bag was going to be enough to supply the whole tower…” he said he rummaged through it, clanging bottles together, and occasionally pulling one out to examine it closer.

James grabbed one from his hand at one point. “Russian vodka! She was being really generous tonight, men.”

“She fancies Sirius, that’s why,” Peter said as he yanked the bottle from James’ grasp to get a better look.

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Remus replied as he now took the bottle and place it back in the bag. “We’ve got to get going. Can’t keep everyone waiting…”

When they arrived back in the tower, miraculously not getting caught by Pringle, even with all the noise they were making, the party began.

The Marauders had broken apart to different parts of the room, but when Remus saw Sirius hop up on a table and start dancing, he decided it was time to take action. He allowed him to have his fun for a few more hideously embarrassing moments as he thrust his hips about before firmly gripping his hand and pulling him off the table. He toppled to the floor, bursting out in a fit of laughter.

“Help me up, Moony, help me…”

“Padfoot,” Remus reached down to, this time, pull his friend up from the ground, “I think it’s time we take a nap, hm?”

“Naps are for nappies. Bahaha nappies! I’m not a nappy.”

Remus stared for a moment before replying, “Might as well be. Let’s go before more people start spreading rumours that you are a nappy.”

“Okay.”

Apparently deciding it was time to submit, Sirius lead the way, however curvy his path. Walking up the stairs had never been so difficult in Remus’ life. “I feel like I’m teaching a child to walk,” he said as he shoved Sirius up the staircase, the drunken boy’s hands bracing him on the stone walls.

“So, you do think I should be wearing nappies.”

“Shove off.”

“A bit touchy tonight, are we, dear Remus?” Sirius asked as they reached the top and pushed through the door. “Mad that Rosmerta’s got a little crush on me, aren’t you?”

Remus remained quiet. Sirius, however, found the need to continue speaking. “Don’t know why you would be mad, my dear fellow, your presence in my life is something that you seem to be forgetting.”

“I don’t know what you’re on about,” Remus attempted, backing away towards his own four-poster.

“Yes, there you go forgetting again. Ah well, I guess we will just ignore our sneakiness.”

“So, you say I shouldn’t be mad that other girls pine over you as we sneak around?”

“Precisely! So glad you’re coming around.” At that, Sirius stripped out of his clothes, not bothering to put any others on and climbed into bed.


--

He looked hard at Sirius, studying the deepening lines of his face, the fading glory of his eyes: the eyes that were still so full of mischief and scandal, still longed for brilliance. His glance roamed over the broad shoulders and down to the poised hands of aristocracy tainted with jest; the hands that had worked so many women, so many of which had been unknowingly faceless.

His eyes jumped back up to Sirius’ and he said slowly, “I’ve forgotten my presence.”

Sirius’ face lit up in expectation, his very soul being exposed in the dark of his eyes. That night so many years ago had been the spark that had caused this fire to burn for so long, the fire that Remus felt radiating towards him, off of him, around him to this very day, however dulled it had been during those many years of uncertainty and supposed betrayal, it had once again exploded with warmth and energy.

“Yes, Moony, you seemed to have forgotten it.”

“Remus! Sirius!” A feminine voice permeated the walls of the room as the two men stared at each other.

“Looks as if we are being summoned,” Remus surmised in a monotone voice, “We should better continue this conversation later, hm?”

Sirius broke eye contact with his friend, patting the bedspread with finality before standing up. “Yes, later.”

The standing man awaited his friend as he peeled himself from beneath the layers of dusty covers.

“When was the last time Kreacher cleaned this place anyway?” Remus muttered as a particularly dangerous cloud of dust erupted in his face.

“No doubt never. Kreacher tends to the pitiful portrait of my deceased mother and that is about all in this house he minds to,” Sirius responded letting out a bark of laughter as his friend made his way to the door. “You aren’t going to go down there wearing that, are you?”

Remus looked down at his rumpled clothes and returned Sirius’ laugh with a red-faced grin. “Er, well since I apparently came over here on a bit of a whim, I didn’t actually bring a change of clothes,” he said as he attempted to smooth the wrinkles in his trousers.

“We can just charm a pair of my trousers to grow a bit, well everywhere if you know what I mean,” Sirius said, winking at Remus before he opened his armoire. “Yes, these will do just fine.” He pulled out a pair of trousers and with a flick of his wand, they grew a bit in size.

Sheepishly, Remus snatched the trousers from Sirius’ hand, “Thank you very much, I am not that much larger than you.”

“Oh, I’m just kidding with you, Moony. Look at me, I’m turning around as you change, not being the dog you think I am,” Sirius announced, his voice bouncing off the barren walls of his old room. “You know, I can’t believe I’ve still got some of these old posters in here…”

“All right! I’m changed now. Let’s get a move on.”

“But did you see me being all respectable back there””

“Yes, lovely example you’re setting, Sirius, couldn’t believe my eyes. Move,” Remus replied as his friend threw his hands up in exasperation, effectively blocking the door. Pushing past him, he made his way down the stairs, casting charms on himself as he passed by various mirrors and realised how roughed up he looked. When they made it down to the kitchen, Molly and Arthur were sitting beside each other at the table reading a letter.

“About time you two got down here,” Molly announced with narrowed eyes. “A letter just arrived from Dumbledore. We’re going to be having the first meeting tonight. Tonight! Could have given me a bit more of a warning than this letter. And the children are coming tomorrow.”

Remus looked over at Sirius and saw that he was looking at him as well. Sirius jumped a bit as Molly got up and started moving around the kitchen, apparently getting ready to prepare a meal.

“And you know, boys,” she began, her back turned to then as she started her work, “we need to do some cleaning around here. When the children arrive we will have some real help. Kreacher seems to have neglected everything in this house except that screeching portrait in the entry hall. A good dusting is in order, and then we can go from there. We need to make this house habitable. There will be many people coming and going now that meetings are starting.”

Remus’ eyes were still on Sirius’. “Considering that I am staying here?”

“Well, why wouldn’t you be, dear? Sirius has just returned and you two are the best of friends. I’m sure there is much catching up to do. And it’s not like this house doesn’t have enough room for you,” she invited as she Summoned a set a knives that came pouring towards her from an opened drawer.

“Yes, Remus, why wouldn’t you be?” Sirius said, a smile curling onto his lips.

“Well.” He shot Sirius a look. “I cannot turn down such a warm invitation, but I have no clothes.”

“Kreacher can get them for you. Kreacher!”

At that instant a loud CRACK filled the room and the dirty, snout-nosed House Elf appeared in front of them, muttering ill words in Sirius’ direction. He bowed to the floor; ill words loud as ever and snapped back up to face his Master.

“What is it that Kreacher can do for Young Master?” He asked, and continued under his breath, “No good run away. Broke Mistress’ heart…”

“Kreacher! Thank goodness,” Sirius gushed with false jollity, “Go to Remus’ house and get his clothes for him. Grab his robes and shoes please. Don’t forget anything. He will be with us for a while.”

“Anything for Young Master.” Kreacher once again bowed so low that his snout-like nose nearly touched the ground. He sneered at Sirius before snapping his fingers and he was gone.

“Never liked me. Ever. Anyway. What time is the meeting exactly?” Sirius and Remus had moved to the table to sit down.

This time, it was Arthur who spoke, “He said to expect him near sundown. The others could arrive anytime before that, though.”

The room fell into silence. Arthur took to the paper, flipping through the thin pages, a grimace appearing on his face every so often, and Molly continued with her work at the counter. Looking at Sirius, Remus felt at a loss for what to do next. Being sedentary was relaxing; it felt nice on his dehydrated body, but the air pulsing around Sirius told him that he was anxious to do something.

And indeed he was. His eyes bore into Remus’, giving him a meaningful look, and then looking pointedly at the door, then back at Remus, hoping he had received his discrete message. Remus shook his head, and then nodded, slowly standing up. Sirius placed his finger over his lips to signify a quiet exit, and they began to creep across the room. Sirius surpassed Remus, placing his hand on the small of his back to signify his doing so. At that precise moment, a crooked board beside the exit whined loudly as Sirius placed his cautious foot down on it.

They both ceased all movement, awaiting the inquiring that was surely about to arrive, and indeed, it came. “Just where do you two think you’re off too?”

Sirius’ eyes shut in dismay and he swung around, clasping his hands and straightening up. Remus followed suit, standing beside his friend, but opting to hide in the shadows to escape the questioning stare of the petite, but formidable woman glaring up at them. Sirius, however, stared at her with wide eyes. His mouth made like a fish on dry land, opening and closing, but no words escaped.

Molly’s questioning look turned harsh in a matter of seconds, and Remus took the silence form his friend with pity. Making up for it, he said quickly, “We, er, we were just on our way to”to dust! Yes, to dust.”

Remus offered her a smile, but avoided Sirius’ astounded look as he turned around and glared at him.

“Oh, wonderful! Thank you so much. I’m sure you’ll know when the first members arrive, but be prepared to stop working.” She happily turned back to her cooking and began humming, and Arthur could be heard chuckling from his spot at the table. They left the room quickly, Sirius effectively shoving Remus against the doorframe on the way out.

“What was that!” Sirius asked him incredulously, continuously shoving him as they made their way up the staircase. “Of all the excuses…”

“It was the first thing that came to mind that I knew would please her.”

Upon entering the first bedroom, they found that it was covered in a think layer of dust and more than a few Scouring charms would be needed to rid the room of the filth. Pulling out their wands, they began attacking every surface, billows of escaping dust returning their endeavours, but the dust slowly began to thin. A faint ring could be heard resounding through the house, followed closely by the shrieks of Sirius’ mother, as they were placing the finishing touches on the room.

Remus lowered his wand. “Looks as if our job has come to fruition, Sirius. Shall we? It seems your mother is calling you.”

“Disgrace to the family name! Allowing filth into the noble house of Black! Defacing our home!”

“Yes, she does seem to be calling me. Well, we must go tend to her “ we just cannot let her drawl onto the rest of the people in the house. It’s terribly boring to listen, don’t you think?” Sirius quipped as he exited the room, brushing himself, and making his way down the stairs.