Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Defenestration of James Potter by hlf_insn_insmnc

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Not my first fanfic, but my first to Mugglenet!




The day that Albus had his wonderful idea was a very lukewarm day.

It started out with the regular end-of-term business—helping to coordinate the final feast, overseeing the prospective student lists, dealing with teacher’s complaints of summer pranks, and planning his annual vacation to Majorca. Fawkes was looking a bit peaky, which added yet another worry to his mind, and he felt the comings of a cold in his head.

He half-heartedly consoled himself with the fact that there was only a week left of term and that Gryffindor was hundreds of points ahead in the competition for the House Cup. Slytherin was in last place, due to some nasty pranks by some fourth-years, he thought with a gleeful chuckle.

Shouldn’t be having such thoughts, he sighed. No house prejudices anymore…at least none that any students can see.

A tawny owl tapped weakly on his window. Albus opened it and the bird flopped onto the ground, obviously overworked. Ministry of Magic: Great Britain was inscribed with green ink on the envelope. Typical of the Ministry, to not give their owls a bit of rest—but ah, nothing I can do about that.

Albus slid open the seal and skimmed the letter. It was hardly life-threatening, simply requesting help with trouble from the Gringott’s Goblin Union that the Minister was unable to handle. He tossed it onto his desk—today was not a good day to deal with the Ministry.

There was a quick rap on the door, and without asking permission Minerva entered. “I ask myself every day why I didn’t decide to be a Healer!” she exclaimed as she collapsed into a chair, clearly frazzled.

Albus chuckled. “What did some rascal do today?”

She shook her head angrily. “That Evans girl had better get a hold of those hormones of hers! Though there’s no doubt in my mind that Potter didn’t bring it upon himself, but—oh!” she finished with an indignant snort.

“What did she do—or may I ask, what did he do—this time?”

“Thought it would win over the poor girl to serenade her with a sappy Weird Sisters’ love ballad in the second floor corridor before lunch—idiot boy, he’s got to learn to be more subtle—and she, quite frankly, got enraged and pushed him out the window! Thank Merlin that Pettigrew was there to perform a quick Levitation, and even if the boy hadn’t Potter would’ve just landed in the lake, but still…”

Albus shook his head slowly. “She defenestrated him? Quite cheeky, wouldn’t you say?”

This stopped Minerva up short. “Defenestrate—?”

“To push out a window. From fenestra, ae, feminine.”

She raised her brows.

“Er—it’s Latin.”

“Hmm. Well, anyway, a second-year panicked and enacted a homing alarm her worried mother had given her. People in high-risk jobs use them—they automatically call St. Mungo’s alert team. They, of course, couldn’t Apparate in, so they were forced to repossess broomsticks from Hogsmeade and fly through some more windows—fifteen broken ones to count, including the one Potter had fallen through. Rest assured they weren’t happy when they saw it was a false alarm.”

“And who are we holding to blame?” Albus asked, unable to hold back a small chuckle.

“Evans, of course, though eyewitnesses swore she hadn’t intended him to push him so far. She’s waiting at the bottom of the stairs. Choose however many points you wish to dock from Gryffindor, though I’ll be giving Potter a good talking-to about the finer points of wooing myself.”

“Ah, yes,” Albus smiled. “Please, send her up. Just the kind of spice I needed for my day!”

“Oh, and before I leave—have you received the recommendations for Head Boy and Girl for next year?”

“No, must’ve gotten lost.”

“Here’s a copy.” She procured a sheet from her bag and handed it to him. “We’ll need the decision by next Friday.”

Minerva briskly walked out as Albus placed the list on his desk. “Potter?” asked the portrait of Lucille Edgemill, who’d clearly just woken up.

“Aye,” said the portly image of Sir Willoughby Hullahat. “Tried to sing her a love song, which I can promise you—”

“Didn’t go over too well?” she supplied.

The other pictures responded with enthusiastic agreements.

“Pushed him out a window!” came the tiny voice of Everett Twillpit.

“Playing hard to get, I say!”

“Must be. Who’d be able to resist such a man?”

“Can’t say… he was downright nasty back before puberty.”

“And after!”

“And during!”

This resulted with rounds of laughter from the portraits.

“Still pushing around the odd... snake, if you catch my meaning,” confided Sir Willoughby, “But can’t blame him. Not a bit.”

There was a quiet knock on the door, and the room fell silent.

“Come in, Miss Evans!” Dumbledore called, still grinning from the portraits’ exchange.

A nervous sixteen-year old girl walked in, shoulders hunched in embarrassment. “Listen, Professor, I really didn’t mean to—”

He smiled, cutting her off. “I have no doubt that you contain no violent tendencies. It was simply a normal response to an annoying boy that went a tad wrong.”

“If you call being scolded by the Assistant to Associate Director of St. Mungo’s in front of half the school as they regard your enemy as a martyr a tad wrong,” she muttered.

“Things could’ve been much worse,” Albus pointed out.

“How?”

“Well, Potter could’ve gotten wet!”

This elicited a small smile from her.

“Well, defenestrating other students is not included in the handbook, nor is there any precedent—”

“Sorry, sir—defenestrating…?”

Albus sighed. “We must add Latin as a subject. It means to push out of a window.”

“Oh. Right.”

“As I was saying, as there is no precedent, only my judgment will decide your punishment.”

She bowed her head, waiting for the blow.

“I’ll say seventy-five points from Gryffindor.”

Lily winced. Not as bad as she’d imagined, and she’d really scored some points with her knowledge of brettlebugs in Herbology, so that might be enough to offset that… but seventy-five points! Lily Evans gained points! She let scoundrels like Potter and his Mermaiders lose points…

“However,” Albus amended, “I do have some advice for you.”

“Ad-advice?”

“Give Mr. Potter a chance. You’re letting an image from five years ago blind you to who he truly is now.”

She cocked her head, confused. “But—but it’s not like he’s changed…”

He smiled. “Are you the same girl you were five years ago?”

“Well—no, I suppose not… but still--he's done so much to me! And to other people. Really, he's just a bully." Albus gave her a stern look. She wrinkled her nose. "Alright. I’ll give him a chance.” Dumbledore could tell she was simply making the promise so she could get out of his office, but he continued on.

“Ah. Good. Really, do think about it.” When she didn’t leave, Dumbledore asked, “Anything else?”

“Well… this—this won’t go on my record or anything, will it?”

“The defenestration?”

She nodded quickly.

“No, I don’t believe so, since only infractions of fifty points or above are recorded.”

“But mine was seventy-five!”

“However, due to your extreme open-mindedness about an old enemy, and a promise to improve your disposition, I’m awarding you… forty points. I’d say that would do it.”

She nodded gratefully. “Thank you, Professor. May I go now?”

Albus smiled. “Of course. Though let me congratulate you on your exemplary marks on the exams you’ve taken so far this week. You have a bright future.”

“Right—oh—well, thanks! Thanks a lot! I’ll see you... um… bye! Thanks!” She rushed out the door.

“Madly in love with him,” a portrait remarked.

“Made for each other,” another agreed.

Albus nodded. “True… very true… she just needs to see it.”

“And he needs to get some responsibility,” a woman added.

Albus frowned, glancing at the list of prospective Heads for next year.


Girls

Mary York

Hewford Pringle

Lily Evans

Alice Rhysford



Boys

Remus Lupin

Perry Winglepare

Will Wherins



He picked up a blue quill, a gift from the Giants Association for Fairer Hours and Better Wages (GAFHBW, ironically the word for ‘impossible’ in their language). Without thinking about the implications of his decision, he carefully penned in James Potter below Will Wherins.

“I do like this scandal!” exclaimed Madame Rose Truflee.

Albus quickly circled Lily’s and James’s names, blew on them to dry the ink, folded it up and addressed it to the Ministry (who handled the sending of beginning-of-term letters).

“A good day’s work,” he said quietly to himself.






A/N: The idea for this came in a flash: why in the world did James Potter, troublemaker extraordinaire, end up Head Boy? If I get a good response, I might continue this into their seventh year (the story of James and Lily through the teachers’ perspective).

Please review!