Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Defenestration of James Potter by hlf_insn_insmnc

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
At heart, Filius was a romantic.


He still thrilled in the wedding announcements of the Daily Prophet, and upon occasion there was even the odd couple whom he’d taught years ago. Just the other day, there was a sweet little article detailing the nuptials of Norma Nottina and Presley Fannian, who only a few years before had been rival Quidditch captains (one from Hufflepuff, the other from Slytherin).


Filius wiped his tearing eye. Ah, how love did overcome prejudices.


He’d met a girl once, a Muggle, just after his final year at Hogwarts, ages ago. He fell in love instantly, and though she was charmed by his magic tricks and short stature, Bob Miller from Babel’s Bagels had more prospects.


It had quite ended any romantic aspirations he may have had.


But life had gone on, and Filius soon regarded himself as the prime matchmaker of Hogwarts.


Jonnah Fitz and Trey Naylan? Completely his doing. John West and Briza Halfar? The result of carefully given detentions and a conveniently locked broom closet.


And when Filius received a rather urgent message from Albus over the summer, he knew that finally, there was a real challenge.



Dearest Filius,


I’m sure you’ve received the list of the new prefects and Heads. While you may be shocked by one of my decisions, I can assure you that young Potter is up to the task. Although it is true he needs some responsibility, my main reason for selecting him is this:


Lily Evans.


We all know they are simply made for each other, and it’s quite apparent they need some help. She is hardly open to his advances, and he, as is well known, does not comprehend the word ‘subtlety.’


I am not as blind as it may seem, Filius. I know who is responsible for John and Briza West, Presley and Norma Fannian, and (who could forget?) Trey and Jonnah Naylan. We must decide a plan of action! Time runs short until the beginning of term.


I’ve come up with a few ideas for your perusal, ideas that would necessitate that our Heads be together for long periods of time, working on projects and such.



-New greenhouses as the seventh-year’s projects? Pomona has been complaining the current one is crowded, and too close to the lake.


-A small winter party for the seventh-year students?



Those are all I can come up with at the time, and please tell me if you have any other ideas!


As Miss Evans plans to follow Arithmancy and Mr. Potter intends on becoming an Auror, we have only till the end of the year!


Ah, what meddling old fools we have become. What better way to distract us from the trials and tribulations of teaching?



Yours fondly,


Albus




Filius pondered the letter. Lily Evans had always been one of his best students, true, and she really did need to focus a bit less on her studies. As for James Potter… perhaps Albus was right. Maybe a bit of responsibility would do him good. In fact, he hadn’t pulled a prank for a good two months before exams (though of course there was one at the final feast, but who could blame him?).


He glanced at Dumbledore’s options. Yes, the greenhouses would kill two flobberworms with one stick. In addition to presenting an astronomical logistics problem for Lily and James to tackle together, it would also stop giving cause for Pomona to gripe about soggy Heuwurths and overcrowded Mandrakes at every staff meeting. But a small gathering? It simply wouldn’t do! Filius mused over more extravagant options.


He shuffled through his papers, and caught sight of a letter from the Magical Music and Arts Alliance. It was sent out to all of its Plasma members, one of which Filius had been since the fall of ’26, and detailed the events of their four-hundred and sixtieth annual musical competition. He scanned it quickly and noticed the bit he’d been looking for:



The competition will take place in the week between Christmas and New Years, and all patrons will be invited to a formal ball taking place New Year’s Eve, the night of the awards ceremony.



And then”



We are as of yet still searching for a host school for this renowned event, and all applicants will be informed when such a location has been secured.



Ah, perfect! Filius grinned to himself. The musical competition had long been a favorite of his, and while he was generally unable to leave Hogwarts in the holidays for long enough to see the productions, he made it a habit to go to the ball. Certainly Lily and James were capable of planning such an event! They’d also have to find a way to procure some kind of theatre for it as well, but he trusted in their judgment.


What an exciting idea! Filius couldn’t endure the long wait in a slow reply to Albus, so he sprinkled a bit of Floo into the fire and chortled, “Dragon’s Paradise, Majorca!”


As he stepped into the pleasantly warm flames, his view went from a scorched wall of bricks to a quaint, tropical lobby. It was mostly deserted, containing only a drowsy-looking young man and a bored receptionist.


“Hola!” she said, perking up when she saw him, a potential customer.


“Er… no hablo Espanol…?” he said hopefully.


“English?” she asked with a strong accent.


“Ah, yes!” he said, relieved. “I was wondering if you could send down Albus Dumbledore?”


“Yes, yes! Professor! Famous man, stays here every summer!”


“Yes, quite. Tell him it’s Filius, if you’d please.”


“One moment,” she said, snapping her fingers. When a short house elf appeared, she spoke to it quickly and Spanish and turned back pleasantly. “He should be down in a second. Understandably, we have Apparation blocks throughout the location, but Tally will fetch him.”


Filius gave a polite thanks and sat down. This entire affair was quite exciting! He was absolutely brimming with potentials for this new matchmaking project.


“Filius? Is something the matter?”


He looked up to see Albus walking briskly toward him. “No indeed! In fact, I had such a brilliant plan I had to tell you at once!” He held out the Magical Music and Arts Alliance informational letter, brought along for such a purpose.


Albus took it and asked, “What’s this? What does it have to do with the current matter at stake”you know what I’m referencing, right…?”


Filius grinned. “Of course! The Alliance needs a host for their musical competition”Hogwarts is perfect! It would take months to plan!”


Frowning as he skimmed the text of the letter, Albus asked, “How many guests are we expected to accommodate?”


“Wait”you mean we’ll do it! Oh, splendid! I’d say there are a good five hundred every year, though they provide their own quarters… though about two hundred actors, and we need to lodge them, but that shouldn’t””


“Er”actors? You said this was a musical competition.”


“Quite correct. They put on musicals.”


“Ah. Understandable.” Albus clapped a hand on Filius’s shoulder and grinned. “I suppose I’ll contact the head of it all… a Mr. Poenia, it says here.”


“Good! Very good!” Filius beamed. “And as for your other idea”the greenhouses”I’ll contact Pomona and have her draw up a design by the end of the summer.”


“Really? I do think it may be necessary for a little gathering before the term starts to discuss the plans… with the Heads attending, of course”just a little prelude to next year.”


Flilius grinned cheekily. “Splendid!”


He strode back to the fireplace, took a pinch of complimentary Floo powder, and called out his address as he stepped inside.


All of Albus’s ministrations were all well and good, but worth nothing if there was no romance to sustain it! Filius, as he had done many a time before, scrawled out a short note to Bella’s Blossoms. It was a quaint little flower shop just north of Diagon Alley, especially notable for their secrecy and deliveries. He directed them to send some roses to a Ms. Lily Evans, anonymously from a secret admirer.


Yes, finally a real challenge.


And needless to say, Filius Flitwick never turned down a challenge.






A/N: Well, that's good old dear Flitwick. Gotta love him. If you have any requests for the teacher of next chapter, go ahead! I'm thinking of having it be one of the odd ones...

Review!