Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Trouble With Being Trusted by PadfootnPeeves

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Even though you may find this hard to believe, I don't own Harry Potter, or Tom's teeth (thankfully). Enjoy!
“Are you really that foolish,” my aunt said dramatically, pacing in front of me, her wand pointed at my throat. “To think that my master doesn’t know of that Mudblood-loving fool’s plans?”

Part of me wanted to defend Dumbledore, but the other half just wanted to get out of Bellatrix’s clutches. I had to be sneaky, though- perhaps a distraction would work.

“I wouldn’t know,” I answered innocently. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Don’t be foolish, Nymphadora,” Bellatrix snapped.

That got my attention.

“Don’t call me Nymphadora!” I retorted. I could care less if she called me a fool, but calling me ‘Nymphadora’ was one thing I would not tolerate.

Bella smirked. “Going to let that bother you?” she asked in a mocking voice. “I bet Mummy calls you Dory, doesn’t she? And you’re Mudblood Daddy, too?”

“Shut up!” I shouted, my temper rising. “At least I’m not in love with some bald bloke who goes about killing people...”

I had gone too far, and earned a shiny new scar because of it. I howled as her wand cut a wound into my cheek. I felt nauseous at the blood dripping down my face. Oh, Merlin, how was I going to get out of this one?

“Why don’t you just kill me?” I asked sourly, racking my brains for a plan to get away.

“I should,” Bellatrix agreed, “But I like torturing people even more than killing them straight off. Perhaps a little Crucio? I hear it bends your mind backwards...”

Backwards. My frantic thoughts clicked together. That’s it! I could use my Time-Turner! But should I go to the future or past... oh, Lord, Tonks, don’t start again...

Go to the future, said a voice in my head as my crazy aunt rambled on and on. The voice sounded like Remus’s, and I immediately relaxed. I could do this.

I slowly raised my hand. Bellatrix’s eyes snapped onto me.

“Going for your wand?” she sneered.

“No,” I replied calmly. “My neck itches. I’m quite uncomfortable on the floor, you know. And I think I’ve got a rash form those curtains. Nasty stuff, you know.

Bellatrix rolled her eyes. I reached down and grasped the Time-Turner. Forward once, twice- go!

Bellatrix started to screech at the top of her lungs. She made to grab my arm, but I ducked out of her way and continued spinning, faster, faster... and soon it all stopped.

The shop was thankfully deserted. Bellatrix probably hadn’t arrived yet. I wiped some sweat off my forehead. That was a close one, and I’m not so sure I’ll make it through the next. Moody will be bankrupt by the time he pays me all the money that I deserve for this mess I’ve gotten myself into.

I whipped out my wand (handily stashed the pocket of my coat), and Apparated. I arrived in the Wizarding World, thank Merlin. Someone could actually protect me if Bellatrix came back. I wasn’t the typical damsel-in-distress, but I had no intentions of murdering anyone so early in my life.

A small inn was ahead. I wasn’t sure which one it was; the snow was too thick to see. I ran up to it and walked inside.

It was the Leaky Cauldron, I recognized, but it was much cleaner. It was really quite empty, though, except for a young man at the counter.

“Hello, miss,” he greeted me. “What’ll it be?”

It was Tom, the toothless, wizened old landlord, except many, many years younger. I could tell it was him because of the prominent tooth problems that showed when he smiled.

“Hello,” I said. I ordered a drink and sat on a stool. “Say, do you know what day it is?”

Tom looked at me oddly, a light eyebrow raised. “’Course I do,” he said. “Bit crazy of you, really, to go out on the coldest day of the year. It’s New Years, of course.”

Yes, my traveling had definitely affected the seasons. It had been June 26th the night I left.

“Are you new to business?” I asked, attempting to figure out as much as I could about the Wizarding World. Or, at least, the Wizarding World in this time.

Tom nodded. “Me pa got me this place,” he said. “Dropped out o’ Hogwarts, and I got this.”

I nodded. I had never really been familiar with Tom; I was more of a Three Broomsticks person myself.

We were both quiet for a moment, and I heard footsteps pounding outside. They didn’t bother being quiet, and you could hear them even through the howling wind.
It didn’t take a Dumbledore to figure out who it was.

Bellatrix had followed me once more.

“I have to go,” I whispered to Tom, throwing over some gold to the confused chap. “Please don’t tell anyone I was here.”

Tom nodded again, nonplussed.

“Bye,” I muttered hastily, rushing into one of the back rooms as my aunt walked in.

I crouched in an old closet, silently praying that she wouldn’t find me. I heard her voice (the one I had grown to hate), “Is anyone in here?”

“No, Ma’am,” said Tom, lying through his rotting teeth. “Jus’ me and my drinks. Would you care for one?”

“No,” Bellatrix said rudely. “I heard voices.”

“I do talk,” Tom said, with a pathetic attempt at a fib.

“Enough of this,” I sincerely hoped that Bellatrix wouldn’t curse Tom. “Where are you hiding her?”

“Who?” Tom cried, apparently frightened by the tone of his voice.

“The woman with the red hair!” Bellatrix screamed. “Where is she?”

“She left!” Tom squeaked. “She left shortly after you came...”

Bellatrix stopped speaking, and abruptly left the pub, slamming the door shut. I sighed with relief.

I heard the door creak open. It was probably Tom.

“Well, well,” said a voice that certainly wasn’t Tom’s. “Look what the Kneazle dragged in...”

I shut my eyes, and hoped that the Time-Turner could get me out of this one, too.
* * *

“Long time no see,” Bellatrix sneered.

I was getting sick of her contorting her face like that. It looked painful and was very unattractive.

“Hello,” I said, wondering how I was going to get out of this one. I could just use the Time-Turner, but my dear aunt would probably torture Tom, and I didn’t want that to happen to him. Poor repaying service, you see.

Bellatrix pointed her wand at me, and thick ropes appeared all over my body. I kicked angrily; I was so stupid, staying put, when I could have gone, away from this loony, and rescued the woman. Dumbledore and Mad-Eye were wrong- I wasn’t ready for this, wasn’t brave enough...

I was soon lifted into the air by her wand, and she took great care to bump me into the doorway as she carried me out of the closet. Worry filled me- what if she was taking me to You-Know-Who?

Bellatrix walked into the bar, my body trailing behind her like a balloon. I wish I could pop and float to the ground in useless rubber pieces, just to avoid capture. Remus’s lined face floated in my mind- would I ever see him again?

“Where do you think you’re going?” said a sharp male voice.

This time, it was Tom. He had his wand pointed directly at Bellatrix; I noticed his arm was shaking. Bella’s thin lips curled up again, and she set me on the top of the counter.

“If you dare touch me,” she said delicately, “I will blast you and your filthy little shop to shreds.”

Tom paled; some pimples on his young face suddenly became even more prominent. I decided to put on puppy eyes, staring at him helplessly. He would help me, he just had to...

But obviously Tom wasn’t a prince waiting to rescue a damsel in distress. He lowered his wand and hung his head, his eyes not meeting mine.

“Good,” Bellatrix smirked. “Now, sit in your little store and don’t tell anyone we were here.”

Tom nodded sullenly and shuffled behind the counter. Bellatrix’s grin widened, and she rudely slopped some Firewhisky onto Tom’s shirt. He jumped and glared at her, but Bellatrix was already halfway out the door with my body before Tom looked up.

I sighed, the whistling wind drowning it out. I didn’t want to, but I had to realize that Tom wasn’t going to come and rescue me from the clutches of this loon. I don’t think the man had an ounce of bravery in him. I’d never be able to forgive him, if I lived long enough to actually dwell over it. I guess I had been right- no one was going to save me this time. Why did all Dumbledore’s friends have to be cowards?

I was in a rather uncomfortable position. The winter wind was picking up, and the breeze felt unpleasant on my face. I had always liked winter, but perhaps this would change my views. I’m sort of glad I had ropes on, though- if they weren’t there, my dress would go up and that would be terribly awkward, not to mention humiliating.

“I have a question,” I said, loud enough for my aunt to hear.

The Death Eater turned around. “What?” she said mockingly. “Does your neck itch again?”

There was no one else in the world that I hated more than my aunt, not even Stan Shunpike. I glared at her, seething inside.

“What’s your question?” she asked impatiently, shaking me up and down with her wand.

“Where are you taking me?” I blurted.

“Nosy girl,” she chided. “I’m taking you to where you belong. My master has wanted to see you, Nymphadora.”

I closed my eyes, not even bothering to shout at her for using my first name. I felt the tears hot on my eyelids- my prince was far, far away- and I knew I’d never be able to see Moony again.