Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Daughter of the Dark Side by Lyra Lestrange

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
~Chapter 28- Rage in the Robe Shop~

I decided to make a list. I knew it could end up being completely and totally pointless, but I did it anyway. On a piece of parchment, I scribbled down a few things I wanted to discover.

- Find out what happened between Andromeda and Bellatrix ... done.

-Find out why Bellatrix joined Death Eaters

-Find out more about Cygnus and Druella Black and what kind of parents they were

-Find out about how Bellatrix was as a student (check Hogwarts records-trophy room, Filch's office-may have to sneak in)

-Find out more about Bellatrix and Rodolphus and how their relationship came to be

-Find out what kind of relationship Bellatrix had with Narcissa and how things were like for the three sisters growing up

I folded it up and set it underneath my wand lying on my nightstand. I stood up, prepared to go downstairs for lunch, when I heard an owl tapping on the window. I turned and saw it fluttering outside with a letter in its beak.

I retrieved the letter and saw that the envelope was addressed to me. I opened it and gasped. My O.W.L. results were here at last!

Upon unfolding the parchment inside, I read:

 

ORDINARY WIZARDING LEVEL RESULTS

Pass Grades

OUTSTANDING (O)

EXCEEDS EXPECTATIONS (E)

ACCEPTABLE (A)

Fail Grades

POOR (P)

DREADFUL (D)

TROLL (T)

Lyra Columba Lestrange has achieved:

Arithmancy-E

Astronomy-O

Care of Magical Creatures-A

Charms-O

Defense Against the Dark Arts-O

Divination-P

Herbology-E

History of Magic-P

Potions-E

Transfiguration-E

"Well ... " I said to myself. "Not bad."

I ran downstairs to show Andromeda. I was surprised to see that Dora was here. She noticed my enthusiasm and said, "What's going on?"

"My O.W.L results!" I said.

"Oh," Dora said, perking up slightly, something I hadn't seen her do in days. "How'd you do?"

"Well, I failed Divination and History of Magic. But that doesn't matter; I really don't need those."

"Oh," Andromeda said. "You really should have tried to pass Divination. I wish you could continue it. I took it all the way through N.E.W.T. level."

"And has it ever done you any good?" I asked. "Trust me, Andromeda, neither Professor Trelawney nor Firenze have taught me a thing I could apply to real life. Anyway...I got ‘O's' in Astronomy, Defense Against the Dark Arts, and Charms!"

"There's a surprise," Dora said with a hint of sarcasm, though I had a feeling it had to do with her glumness.

"What does that mean?"

"Well, we all knew you'd ace Astronomy. And you're good at wand work. Defense Against the Dark Arts and Charms all deal with that unless you're being taught by that Umbridge woman. My point is that you're better at wand magic. Casting spells is your strong point ... as we've all seen."

"That's not funny," I said, thinking about the Cruciatus Curses I had accidentally cast on too many occasions. "I was angry."

"That's no excuse!" Dora snapped.

"That's enough," Andromeda said. "Now, Lyra, which subjects are you going to continue with?"

"I think I'll drop Care of Magical Creatures. We don't learn anything and I don't think I'll ever use it. I can't take Divination and History of Magic since I ... you know, failed. I'm going to continue with everything else."

She nodded, and Dora said, "Well, we'll need to buy your supplies."

"When?"

"Tomorrow, if that works. I'll take you to Diagon Alley."

"Okay, then," I said. "We'll go tomorrow. I might as well mention that my robes are too short. I need some new ones."

 

The trip to Diagon Alley had never been so gloomy. The last time I visited - two years ago - the sun had been shining, Dora had been perky, and everything had been fine. That was before Voldemort had returned. Now foggy mist hung over the street, wanted posters plastered the shop fronts, Dora was in a depressed state, and even several shopkeepers had gone missing.

"Ollivander, too?" I asked Dora. "Florean Fortescue already disappeared. Remember two years ago when we went to his ice cream parlor? After we bought my supplies? That's where we ran into that guy ... what was his name again? Harper, or something like that?"

"Yeah," Dora said, and a bitter look crossed her face. For the first time in awhile, I really noticed how sheh ad changed since Sirius had fallen through the veil. Her hair, though it was her favorite shade of pink, fell to her shoulders limply. Her face was gaunt and ill-looking. I noticed the pink hair fading into brown at the top of her head, as if she had dyed it (as I had known Muggles do) and the roots were beginning to grow in.

"Dora, what's with your hair?"

"What about it?"

"It's turning brown at the top."

"So? I'm ... trying for a new look."

"No, you're not," I said firmly. "That always happened when you got depressed. For instance, during your Hogwarts years when ... when your boyfriend dumped you or whatever. It turns limp and brown when you get depressed."

"I've - fine, then, I've been having trouble changing it. I can't control my Metamorphosing like I used to!"

"Dora, listen. I know you're upset about ... Sirius. I am as well. But you really can't - "

"You think this is about Sirius?" she exclaimed. Then she stopped abruptly as if she had let something slip.

"Well, what else?" I demanded. "What else is there? The war? Or maybe it's the stupid dementors swarming around. I thought you could produce a Patronus. Is that the problem?"

"No! Just leave me alone. Let's go to Madam Malkin's. You said you needed robes."

She pulled me around the corner without saying a word. Once we were in Madam Malkin's, I realized something was going on.

"Who blacked your eye, Granger? I want to send them flowers," [*] I heard a familiar voice say from behind a shelf of clothing.

"That's quite enough!" a voice barked. I noticed it was Madam Malkin. "Madam - please - " [*]

"Put those away," [*] a cold voice said. It was almost like a female version of the first voice I had just heard, and though I couldn't see her and had never met her, I knew exactly who she was ...

"If you ever attack my son again, I shall ensure that it is the last thing you ever do," [*] the voice continued.

"Really?" said Harry Potter's voice. "Going to get a few Death Eater pals to do us in, are you?" [*]

"I see that being Dumbledore's favorite had given you a false sense of security, Harry Potter. But Dumbledore won't always be there to protect you," [*] the woman said.

"Wow ... look at that ... he's not here now! So why not have a go? They might be able to find you a double cell in Azkaban with your loser of a husband!" [*] Harry exclaimed.

I heard a movement, a laugh - it sounded like Ron Weasley's - and the voice of Draco Malfoy saying, "Don't you dare talk to my mother like that, Potter!" [**]

"It's all right, Draco," said the woman. "I expect Potter will be reunited with dear Sirius before I am reunited with Lucius." [**]

That was it. I jumped out from behind the shelf with my wand pointed at her. "Shut up about my cousin!" I exclaimed.

She laughed, and I saw the family resemblance.

"Lyra. I know much about you though I've never actually met you. What a surprise. I'm sure you know this already, but I'm Narcissa Malfoy."

"Yes, I do know!" I exclaimed. "And that's why I'm here to ... "

Madam Malkin was protesting again, and I felt someone grab me.

"Don't," Dora said firmly. "Don't make a scene."

"Get off me! She was talking about Sirius! I'll get her for that! Cruc - "

"NO!"

Dora had grabbed me and pinned me against the wall. "Lyra, don't!"

"Get off me! She was talking about him! Let go of me!"

"You really need to stop doing that! You'll be locked up - "

I jabbed my wand at her throat and said, "I'm perfectly aware of the consequences; I'm not a child! Now let go of me before I curse you too!"

That did the trick. Dora let go of me and turned to Madam Malkin. "I'm - I'm really sorry. She gets worked up sometimes ... " Turning to me, she snapped, "Let's go."

She grabbed the collar of my robes and dragged me out of the store. I felt humiliated on top of being angry as I heard Draco and Narcissa laughing.

As soon as we were out the door, I turned to her with my wand still pointed.

"Dora! I need to buy robes ... and you ... I can't believe you would humiliate me like that!"

"Well, I can't believe you would perform the Cruciatus Curse on anybody! Don't you realize you have the Trace on you? The Ministry couldn't track you at Grimmauld Place but as for here in Diagon Alley it would be a snap! You really need to learn to control your temper! Now let's go. You need potions ingredients."

She began to stalk off to the Apothecary. I followed reluctantly, still fuming.

We bought my robes last. We entered when we were sure everybody that had been in there earlier was gone. Madam Malkin fitted me with a fearful expression. I remembered how everyone had acted about my identity being revealed. My attack on Narcissa probably only proved everyone's theories about me correct - I was just as bad as my parents.

"There you go," she said, handing me a stack of robes. I took them and handed her a few Galleons before heading outside with Dora. Once we were away, I said, "Is this how it's always going to be?"

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"The identity thing. Everyone's going to be afraid of me."

"Yeah," she snorted. "They sure will, if you're about to perform an Unforgivable Curse in their store."

"You're no help," I grumbled, and walked ahead of her.

Chapter Endnotes:

I used to really like this chapter, but upon re-reading it I decided it seemed a little unnecessary. However, the story works out much better later if Lyra meets Narcissa now.

On a different note, the O.W.L results looked considerably better in a the Word document because I had it formatted and used different fonts, but it's a bit limited here so hopefully they don't look too bad.

[*] Quotes taken from the American version of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, page 115

[**] page 114