Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Daughter of the Dark Side by Lyra Lestrange

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Another filler chapter...the climax begins after this one.
~Chapter 40- Temper Takes Control~

Another strange occurrence similar to Katie Bell's accident happened: Ron Weasley ended up in the hospital wing after drinking poisoned wine. Theodore reported to me that Malfoy had been acting even more suspicious than usual too, which made me rethink everything ... maybe he was a Death Eater after all. Maybe he could he have given Ron the wine-but was it intended for somebody else?

On top of that, Quidditch was not going well. As Ron was in the hospital wing, Cormac McLaggen had replaced him as Keeper. Then, on the day of the match, McLaggen acted as if he was Captain instead of Harry, causing him to show Peakes how to ‘properly hold a bat.' This made him hit a Bludger which knocked Harry unconscious, therefore we lost to Hufflepuff three hundred and twenty to sixty.

Everything seemed to get better when Katie Bell returned from St. Mungo's and was back on the Quidditch team, as was Ron after recovering from his poisoning. McLaggen was off the team and we were all flying smoothly.

It was like a roller coaster (some Muggle thing I learned about) with Quidditch, though, because it always went from bad to worse. Once we were finally doing well, Harry announced that he would be in detention with Snape; therefore he couldn't play at the final match against Ravenclaw, the one that would decide which House would win the cup.

... And yet, by some miracle, we still managed to win.

And of course, I ended up in another detention with Snape as well. Once again, I lost my temper in his class and ended up leaving because I threw a tantrum. But this time, things went differently.

It all started when Snape handed back our essays on - what else? - the Cruciatus Curse. I was disappointed to find a large black ‘P' scribbled at the top, so I raised my hand and asked innocently, "Professor, I'm not sure what I did wrong on my essay."

He lowered his eyes at me and said, "Miss Lestrange, I think it is quite clear that you got your facts mixed up. The Cruciatus Curse does not result due to anger, it is a curse used to torture."

Malfoy sniggered. I said, "But it can happen like that."

"I told you to base your essay off the information given in the book. Not once does it mention a connection between anger and the curse."

"But sir - "

"Your grade is final! Unless you can prove to me that anger has anything to do with the subject, I suggest you stop trying to get me to raise your grade! Have you ever seen the Cruciatus Curse used before? If not - "

"Yes, I have, actually!" I yelled, standing up from my seat and knocking my chair over. "I probably know it better than you! Do you know who I'm related - ?"

"Detention tonight, Miss Lestrange! Obviously my punishments have not taught you anything! Now, sit down so I can continue to teach the class!"

Glaring at him, I began to sit down, fixing my chair as I did so. But things took an unexpected turn when Theodore (who was sitting next to me) stood up and said, "You just don't know what the Cruciatus Curse is if you're giving her a 'P'!"

I turned red. The whole class was staring at us now, Theodore was out of his chair, and Snape was looking venomous. I knew he was only trying to defend me, but he didn't have to announce my whole grade to the class. I saw Malfoy smirking at my embarrassment while the rest of the class looked either amused or frightened.

"For the next two weeks," Snape said, "the two of you will come to my office every night and serve detention. Your tasks will be more difficult because I don't seem to be getting through to either of you." Theodore opened his mouth to argue, but Snape said, "I don't care whose fault it is. The two of you are a couple; therefore you shall be punished as one." Then he turned around and walked to the front of the class.

Even more embarrassed, I glared at Theodore but didn't say a word. I would deal with this after class. I wasn't going to risk more detention and humiliation.

 

"Thanks for that," I said to him outside of Snape's classroom. At first he missed the sarcasm because he said, "Thanks for ... what?"

"For what? You very well know what! How about - oh, I don't know - embarrassing me? How about getting me stuck in two more weeks of detention when it could have only been one night?"

"Lyra, I'm sorry! I just wanted to help you."

"Well, you know what? I can take care of myself. I don't need anyone to watch out for me. For some reason, everyone thinks I need to be looked after, but I'm not stupid. And I swear, Theodore-I didn't blame you the first time, but if you get me into any more detentions, I'll ... I'll - "

He raised an eyebrow and said, "You'll what?"

Instinctively my wand was out and pointed at him. "This isn't time for you to be acting like that!"

"All right, all right! I'm sorry! I won't defend you anymore! I didn't realize I was doing anything to anger you!"

"Then you're an idiot! You're acting just like you did before we were - "

" - Going out," he finished for me, rolling his eyes. "Listen, I'm sorry. Could you accept that and move on?"

I was now aware of the stares coming from other students who were just passing by on their way to their classes, but I ignored them without caring. I said, "An apology isn't going to get me out of detention!"

"Well, at least we'll be in detention together."

Now I rolled my eyes. "Great! Wonderful! Just perfect! You get me in detention and now I have to serve it with you?" After that I stomped off. I had no intention of going to my next class. Instead I headed for Gryffindor Tower as Theodore called behind me, "Lyra! Lyra, wait! I didn't mean - Lyra!"

Once I reached the Fat Lady's portrait, I crossed the deserted common room and sprinted up to the dormitory three stairs at a time. Once I reached my bed, I curled up on top of it and stared at the wall, thinking about what had just happened. We had never fought before. I knew he didn't mean anything when he was trying to help me out, but I was really getting tired of Snape's punishments.

Then, with a jolt of realization, I knew that it was completely my fault. If I hadn't stood up and defied Snape, Theodore wouldn't have done it too. If I didn't always end up in detention with him anyway, it wouldn't be so bad serving a few more. And he had only been trying to help me.

It all came back to the same things. I was in detention because of anger, which was due to Sirius's death, which was due to Bellatrix, which was due to everything I was. Now I may have lost Theodore too, which was far from my intention.

Everything was my fault. I had to reconcile with him as soon as I could. Then a terrible thought hit me-what if it was too late? Had I blown it already and lost everything?

Chapter Endnotes:

Hm. This one is short. Sorry about that; I know you all like long chapters. I needed to transition the Christmas chapter to the climax, so I used this as a filler. I thought Lyra and Theodore's romance was too perfect, so I thought this would show that it's not and that her anger issues haven't completely vanished...

Review, please" :D