Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Daughter of the Dark Side by Lyra Lestrange

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes:

I'm sorry if this chapter is boring or redundant because it's rewritten straight from the book, but I have to introduce the tournament and Mad-Eye Moody. I tried my best to cut out unnecessary information.

JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

~Chapter 4- Return to Hogwarts~

I stared at a solid brick wall. Four years ago it was difficult to imagine being able to walk through something so concrete. Even though I had grown up with a Wizarding family, I still had to get used to the amount of magic in our world that defied what Muggles had spent centuries researching and creating laws for.

I glanced left and right. Kings Cross was busy with Muggles waiting for their trains. I had been standing around for minutes. Dora, Andromeda, and Ted had found the perfect moment already, and just when I was positive I would miss the train due to waiting too long, I charged.

My heart beat fast - I was sure a Muggle had caught a glimpse of me. Nonetheless, I appeared on the other side of Platform 9 ¾. It was September 1st, the day I returned to Hogwarts to begin my fourth year of magical education. Upon emerging through the brick barrier, I saw the Hogwarts Express sitting on its track, gleaming scarlet in the pouring rain. Dora, Ted, and Andromeda were already there.

"Now that I finally made it through ... " I muttered to myself.

It was almost time for the train to leave. I felt slightly irritated that I couldn't have gone through that barrier quicker. Turning to face the four of them, I said, "Well, I should go. I want to get a good seat." And by ‘good seat' I meant a compartment to myself.

"Of course," Andromeda said, pulling me into a hug. "We'll see you at Christmas. Have a good time at school."

"I'll try," I said with a hint of sarcasm.

"Write to us," Ted said as he also hugged me.

"I will."

"And remember to be careful," Andromeda pleaded. There was no mistaking the desperate, worried tone in her voice. "Remember not to let anyone find out - "

"Andromeda, I know," I interrupted. "I've managed to hide everything for three years - more than that, actually. This year won't be any different." I knew I was being rude, but I was completely aware that I had to keep my cover. I wasn't stupid enough to announce it to the whole world.

Andromeda smiled sympathetically at me. "I know. I trust you."

I approached Dora, whose rain-soaked hair was shoulder length and bright purple today.

"Well, I'll see you, Linds," she said. "I'll miss you. But first, I have a gift for you. Here."

She handed me a rectangular package that was poorly wrapped in white parchment, as if she had done it fast-paced and clumsily. The rain was soaking through the parchment as I hesitated, confused by the gift. Dora was growing impatient.

"Open it before it gets totally drenched!" she exclaimed. "Really Linds, I know I spent about two seconds wrapping it, but what's the point in wrapping something elegantly if the paper is just going to be torn off?"

I smiled, laughing inwardly at how typically Dora that was. I opened it and found a blinding hot pink journal with a corresponding quill inside.

"I have one too," Dora said, showing me an exact copy of the journal and quill, though hers was dark purple. "It's so we can communicate while we're away."

"How?" I asked.

"Well, if you write a message, it appears in my journal and vice-versa. You can only write in it with that quill. Don't worry, it doesn't need any ink. This way we can keep in touch and tell each other what's happening. Oh, and if one of us writes a message, it will stay there until the other one reads it, so you don't have to worry about missing one."

"Okay. Thanks, Dora," I said, giving her a hug. "I'll miss you. I'll miss all of you."

Suddenly the train whistled.

"I have to go," I said. "See you over the holidays. I love you!" I waved to everybody as I got on the train, pulling my trunk along with me. I closed the door and began to search for a compartment.

That was the hard part. For one, I was late getting on the train, so there probably weren't any open places. Secondly, there wasn't really anyone I could ask to sit with, since they would all be with their friends and wouldn't want someone who wasn't part of their group sitting with them. The new first years were always an option. It wouldn't be hard to pick them out of the crowd, and they would probably allow me to sit with them.

However, lucky for me I found an empty compartment. I set my trunk on the luggage rack, and sat down, half hoping somebody would come and sit with me.

That was one of the things I hated most about having a secret identity: I couldn't get too close to anybody in case they found out who I was. Due to this, I didn't have any friends and often felt lonely. At least I had Dora, but she didn't go to Hogwarts with me because of our seven-year age difference.

The ride to Hogwarts was long-lasting as usual. I snacked on Cauldron Cakes, Licorice Wands, and Chocolate Frogs as we rolled through hills, lakesides, and open country. At least I could be alone with my thoughts, which were mostly filled with wonder about this school year. Something told me it wasn't going to be a just a regular school year, based on the way Dora had acted over the dress robes. There seemed to be events to come, which left me highly suspicious and almost apprehensive. Eventually I concluded that I was still shaken about the World Cup events, and had to remind myself that this was Hogwarts, and it was considered one of the safest places.

When we arrived at Hogsmeade station, I left my compartment and departed the train. I was already in my school attire (I really wasn't pleased to have to change out of my Muggle clothes and into my boring black school robes). The clouds still poured down rain, but I didn't care because for I moment I was mesmerized by the sight of Hogwarts Castle, a view that never ceased to captivate me.

Outside the carriages drawn by nothing were sitting beyond the gates adorned with statues of winged boars, and students began to board them. I climbed into a carriage with three other first years, feeling slightly envious of the students who were getting on with their friends.

The carriages pulled us up to the castle; I got out and merged with the crowd. The oak front doors opened and students rushed in to get out of the rain, but as they went inside they all screamed. Wondering what was going on, I continued walking with the crowd and realized why people were screaming as soon as I got in: Peeves the Poltergeist was throwing water balloons at students.

Someone angrily shouted the poltergeist's name at the top of her voice. I recognized Professor McGonagall, the witch who served as the Transfiguration teacher, Head of Gryffindor House, and Deputy Headmistress. She impatiently ordered us to move ahead, so we stepped though the entrance hall to the Great Hall for the Sorting and dinner.

I was almost there when I felt someone bump into me. Annoyed, I turned around to see Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle, two bulky Slytherins. Unfortunately for me, I was on their list of people to bully. Of course, they didn't know why they bullied me, because together they had just about as much intelligence as a flobberworm with amnesia.

"What do you want?" I asked plainly.

The two just stood there and gave me harsh, stony looks, but anyone could tell that underneath that was a blank mind full of stupidity. Crabbe looked at Goyle as if waiting for him to give the answer.

I rolled my eyes and turned around, heading for the Hall again. But before I made it there, someone asked, "What do I want?"

I stopped. I knew that voice. Of course, the only reason Crabbe and Goyle despised me was because they were friends with Draco Malfoy, the Slytherin, highly disrespectful to any teacher or student he disliked. But there was another thing about him ...

He was also my cousin, though neither of us ever publicized this. Draco and I never got along. To him I was as bad as Harry Potter, if not worse. Something I always wondered was if he would treat me differently if he knew I was really Bellatrix's daughter instead of Andromeda's, because his mother (Narcissa Malfoy) and my mother had always been close. But I highly doubted he would, considering I was a Gryffindor. Slytherins and Gryffindors just did not get along.

"What is it, Malfoy?"

"I see you're back, Tonks," he growled.

Tonks. I hated that! It was bad enough when other people called me by my ‘surname,' but when Draco Malfoy said it, it gave me a headache.

"What do you want?" I asked again.

"Nothing," he shrugged. "I just wanted to tell you that I saw you at the World Cup. You looked pretty frightened when you came out of the woods. Were the Death Eaters too scary?" As he said the last line, he used a baby voice. "Do you need your Auror sister to be your bodyguard?"

I rolled my eyes again. A seventh year behind Draco impatiently told us to move as we stood there, so I continued to the Great Hall. But had he really seen me leave the woods? Yes, I had been frightened then; there was no denying it.

He had harassed me like that since first year when he found out my name. Normally I just ignored him, maybe gave him a glare or rolled my eyes, and walked on. But this time I decided to mess back a bit. I turned back around as the oncoming crowd continued to file inside the Hall.

"You asked me if I needed a bodyguard, Malfoy?" I said jokingly. "To be honest, I'm perfectly fine on my own. However, I see you need two bodyguards just to walk the halls of Hogwarts." I didn't generally joke around with people or mock them. But this was different; this was Draco Malfoy.

"That was bad," said Malfoy. "Is that really all you can come up with?"

I shrugged.

"You're blocking the entrance to the Great Hall, and personally I'd like to eat." I looked up to see another seventh year speaking. He was even bigger than Crabbe and Goyle. Upon looking left and right, I saw that he was correct. The entrance to the Hall was on either side of me along with the packed crowd.

"Um ... uh ... sorry," I muttered. I turned and walked ahead. As I hurried to the Gryffindor table across the Hall, the sound of snickering trailed behind me.

This was so typical. An hour hadn't even passed since I'd arrived at Hogwarts, and I was already off to a bad start. It was time to become invisible again. Confrontation was too difficult for me.

I sat down at the Gryffindor table near Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger. Once I sat down I realized how truly hungry I was. One of the hardest parts about the start-of-term feast was enduring the extensive Sorting ceremony before the meal came.

Professor McGonagall entered the Hall with a line of first years following her. She placed a beaten up, worn out hat on a familiar - looking stool. The hat sang a song; when it was finished, McGonagall called the names of the students, and once the hat was on their head, it sorted them into the proper house.

It was nothing new. Every student and teacher in here saw this every year. I admitted to myself that I was bored ... and starving. My stomach growled loudly by the time they got to the M's. I hoped nobody could hear it over the applause for the first years.

At last headmaster Professor Dumbledore told us to eat. I couldn't remember ever being so grateful for the feast.

 The tables erupted with food. Steak, potatoes, vegetables, breads, and more filled the golden dishes in the center. I filled my plate with my favorites and poured myself some pumpkin juice. Taking a sip, I heard Nearly Headless Nick say something about trouble in the kitchens earlier (caused by - who else? - Peeves the Poltergeist).

I couldn't help overhearing the talk to follow. By the time they got to the subject of house elves at working in the kitchens at Hogwarts, Hermione spilled her goblet in shock. The talk of house elves caused me to think of my bed up in Gryffindor Tower that had most likely been prepared by them, set up to be warm and comfortable. I was ready for bed; I could feel my energy draining as I took another bite of potatoes.

After the pudding was served and the tables were cleaned, Professor Dumbledore stood up to give us the usual speech.

Smiling, he began to speak from his spot at the staff table. He looked the same as always with his long snow-white hair and beard and his half-moon glasses.

He gave the usual announcements, then told us that the Inter-House Quidditch Cup would not take place this year. Harry gasped from across the table.

Professor Dumbledore continued. "This is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teachers' time and energy - but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts - " [*]

But he was interrupted as thunder rumbled overhead and the doors of the Great Hall opened. Standing there was the silhouette of a man in a black traveling cloak leaning on a staff. Lightning illuminated the Hall and everyone saw him closely as he hobbled toward the staff table. He had long, gray hair, a wooden leg with a clawed foot, and a heavily scarred face. The thing that made him stand out the most was his strange, huge, electric-blue eye that swiveled in its socket. It looked completely different from his smaller, normal one. I knew who this man was: Mad-Eye Moody, retired ex-Auror. Dora had told me about him - she knew him well from the Ministry.

I forgot about my fatigue as I gaped at this man. He was a legend among wizards; he had filled nearly half of Azkaban's cells. The question was: What was he doing at Hogwarts?

Dumbledore answered this quickly. Apparently Mad-Eye Moody was the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, sent here to replace Professor Lupin who resigned the previous year.

Little noise was made as everyone stared at this peculiar man. He seemed to care little about the unwelcoming silence and simply took a drink from the flask at his hip. Dumbledore continued his speech.

It was the Triwizard Tournament. The Triwizard Tournament, the notable event that in the past took place far more often, but hadn't taken place for one hundred years. Hogwarts was going to host it!

My mind wandered back to Madam Malkin's when Dora mentioned something about the occasion. Did buying dress robes have to do with the Triwizard Tournament?

From what Dora had explained to me, the tournament consisted of three tasks, three wizard schools, and three champions. "The tasks are extremely dangerous," she'd emphasized. "The schools are the largest in Europe, and the champions have to be brilliant when it comes to magical talent. I would have entered if I'd received the chance. Too bad they don't to it anymore."

I knew I wouldn't be entering. If I had the talent to get in (which I knew I didn't) and by some miracle managed to win, my identity would be in a huge heap of trouble.

That wasn't a problem. I wasn't seventeen yet.

When Dumbledore announced that it was time to go to the dormitories, I quickly got up and dashed out of the Hall, heading for Gryffindor Tower. My bed was waiting, and I was tired beyond belief. Unfortunately, Gryffindor Tower was one of the highest in the castle, so I had to climb the Grand Staircase for seemingly endless minutes that dragged on with my tired feet.

Once in the common room, I took the spiral staircase to the girl's dormitories. There I met up with two of the four fourth year Gryffindor girls, Parvati Patil and Lavender Brown.

"Hi, Lindsey!" Parvati said when I arrived. Lindsey. I hated being called that. There was something about my fake name that made me scream inside every time it was said. Yet, I wasn't going to snap at Parvati; that obviously wouldn't be fair.

"Have you had a good summer?" Parvati asked.

"Oh ... " I snapped out of my trance. "Not bad. I went to the World Cup."

"Ooh, we did too!" Lavender squealed. "It was great, wasn't it? Especially since Viktor Krum was there! Ooh, that reminds me, I need to put this up!"

The two of them continued to chat about Krum, and Lavender (to my disgust) hung up a poster of him on the wall by her bed. I rolled my eyes when I was turned away from them. They were worse than Dora!

I changed into my pajamas before flopping down on my four-poster bed. It was so comfortable and warm. I felt like drifting into sleep right away, but I decided to try out Dora's gift first, so I took the hot pink journal out of my trunk (which was now at the foot of my bed).

I picked up the vibrant pink quill and turned it around a few times with my fingers. It was different than any other quill I'd used before. Without bothering to dip it in ink I drew a tiny line in the notebook. It appeared in pink ink and stayed, so I wrote:

Dora? Are you there?

I waited. Several minutes went by and there was no response. I concluded she wasn't around. Then, right underneath my pink writing appeared a single word written in dark purple ink:

Yes.

I picked up my quill again.

Are you busy?

She answered.

No. How was the feast?

Great. They told us about the Triwizard Tournament.

I knew they would. Sounds amazing, doesn't it?

Yes, but I'm too young to enter. I don't really want to, though. It sounds dangerous.

It will be. You'll see.

How?

I don't want to spoil anything!

Fine. Well, it's late. I should get to bed. I have class tomorrow.

Good idea. I'll talk to you later. Good luck in school.

Thanks. I'll tell you about it tomorrow. This journal was a good idea. Well, goodnight.

As I tucked the quill back into its spot, I saw the conversation dissolve into the pages. I closed the journal and put it in my nightstand drawer.

"Is that a Messaging Journal?" I heard someone ask curiously. It was Hermione Granger. She was the fourth girl that shared our dormitory.

"Yes," I replied, though until then I didn't have any idea what it was called. "My, uh, sister gave it to me."

"I read about those. They got the idea from Muggle technology."

"Did they?" I asked, not really caring as I got under the covers.

"Yes. Well, goodnight."

She went off to her bed as Lavender and Parvati, who were still giggling about Krum, parted and climbed into theirs. I closed my eyes, anxiously thinking about classes starting tomorrow. The sight of Mad-Eye Moody appeared in my head-the ex-Auror, coming out of retirement to teach at Hogwarts. There was something suspicious about that, or maybe something suspicious about the man himself, but I decided to wait until the next day before I judged.

Chapter Endnotes: [*] Quote taken from the American Version of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, page 184.