Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Daughter of the Dark Side by Lyra Lestrange

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Guess whaaaaat? It's almost done. Here's the big finale chapter.
~Chapter 54- The Lost Letters~

Some scars will never heal, I kept telling myself. Sure, the battle was over. Harry never really died. But I felt no desire to celebrate. The price had been so high; too much had been lost.

I was curled up in my old bed in Gryffindor Tower, which I had retreated to as soon as I could. At last I could be alone with nothing but my thoughts, my depressed and haunting thoughts.

The night had been so long; sleep claimed me easily in spite of everything on my mind. Eventually I woke up to bold orange light streaming into the dormitory window. I climbed out of bed and took a moment to gaze into the night. A handful of people walked around the grounds, but most had already left for home.

I wasn't to leave for home yet. There was also the fact that I couldn't because I didn't have a broom and wasn't capable of Apparating. A thorn of sadness pierced me as I realized that Theodore had Apparated me here. Maybe this was where I should stay.

Hogwarts was, after all, where everything had started. I looked out at the lake and remembered the countless hours spent there at night when we were supposed to be in the castle, sound asleep. Fresh tears hit my eyes when I remembered the night I first had my nightmare about the snakes. It was the first time I had really talked to him, and he had confided his deepest secrets in me even though he hardly knew me.f

We had argued with each other that night. A faint smile touched my lips when I remembered the way we used to resent each other.

"Lyra."

What was that noise? It sounded just like his voice. But I was only imagining it, I knew. It was all inside my head, because he was never coming back, never. I squeezed my eyelids shut against the fresh flow of dripping tears. Some scars will never heal ...

"Lyra."

I felt something against my shoulder. Now I could feel his touch. I sobbed harder, praying for it to stop.

"Lyra, it's me."

I turned around. He was standing right there before me. I shut my eyes again. Now I could see him. These hallucinations needed to end! He was gone, and I couldn't let myself believe he was back.

"I know what you're thinking, but I'm really here. Lyra, open your eyes."

I wouldn't. I refused to. This wasn't even a dream; it was a nightmare worse than the snakes.

I felt myself being lifted from the ground and pulled into softness and warmth. His vision whispered to me, "It's okay. I'm here, Lyra. It's me, Theodore. I'm alive, I promise you!"

I obeyed this time, but only because I thought everything would end if I opened my eyes and awoke from this nightmare. I found myself standing, clasped tightly in his arms. How was it possible that he felt so real? Then again, those dream-snakes had felt real.

When I looked up, I saw his face just as it had been. Breaking free from his arms, I flopped onto my bed and screamed, "Stop! Stop it! I want this to end!"

Behind me he sighed and said, "I really hate to do this, but I have no choice. I'll show you you're not dreaming. Aguamenti!"

Cold water hit me and brought me to my senses. My eyes flew open and I saw the dormitory as it had been moments ago. Everything was exactly the same, so was I, in fact, awake?

I sprang to my feet. Sure enough, Theodore was standing before me. He wasn't dead at all. His face glowed in pleasure, but he didn't dare come near me again.

"How - ?" I croaked.

He smiled. "It's a long story."

"But I thought you died! I thought she killed you!"

"I thought I was dead too. I really did. It was so confusing, and I'm not sure what happened. I was in a world of pain and I couldn't move, but I could hear and feel everything. I can't explain it, but I know I'm alive now. I woke up about an hour ago. I heard the Dark Lord is dead."

"He - he is."

"Potter killed him?"

"Yes." I sat back down on the bed and fixed a stare upon at him. This was too bizarre.

"So ... will you tell me everything that happened? I heard the whole battle going on in the Hall," he said as he sat down beside me.

"You heard the battle?"

"Yeah." After a tiny pause, he added with a bit of reluctance, "I heard you crying earlier, too. I felt you touch my hand. I wanted to wake up right then more than anything. I wanted to tell you I was fine. I was also afraid ... "

"Afraid of what?"

"I was afraid that I would never wake up, and since I appeared to be dead, I wasn't sure what was going to happen to me. Well, I still wasn't sure if I was dead or alive. I hope I never have to go through that again."

I stood up and walked to the window, shaking my head. "This is scary. I don't know what kind of spell that was, but I ... I'll find out!" A sudden spark of inspiration hit me, and I felt stupid for not realizing how obvious the solution was. "I'll ask Bellatrix what she did if and when I get the chance. I'll find out even if I have to torture it out of her."

Then a new thought hit me. "Wait a second," I said as I whirled around to face him. "This must be going on in my head, because this is the Gryffindor girls' dormitory. How could you get in here?"

He actually laughed. I felt my face grow red as he said, "Ever since the battle, none of the protection stuff really matters. The Fat Lady portrait let me in. You're not dreaming, Lyra. Please understand that."

"I just ... can't ... "

"Believe it! If this were a dream, how could I touch you or ... or shoot water at you from my wand and have you feel it? If this were a dream, how would I be able to do this?"

He got up from the bed, moved closer, and began to kiss me with more affection than he ever had. Warmth encompassed me as his lips moved against mine, and I found myself kissing him back ... and it was in that moment that I knew everything around me was real and I wasn't dreaming and the war was over and we could be together now and love wasn't such a malevolent thing ...

I could never remember kissing him for that long. Eventually we separated and I felt much different somehow. It was joy, I concluded, as a smile touched my lips - a real smile.

"So," Theodore breathed, "are you ready to go home now?"

"Where's home?" I asked, aware that I sounded dumb, but I had to find out.

"Your aunt's house. I'll Apparate you there. But before we leave, what would you say to a walk around the lake?"

"How could I say no?"

Hand-in-hand we left the dormitory without a care in the world, heading for the lake to spend a single peaceful evening together.

 

The stars were out when we Apparated to Andromeda's house. Though the time spent by the lake had been tranquil, I had a dark feeling that mood was all about to vanish. I rang the doorbell cautiously.

Dora, puffy-eyed with limp brown hair, opened the door slowly and gasped.

"Lyra! And ... and ... Theodore? But I thought - "

"So did we, but there'll be time to explain later," I told her.

"Well, come in." She moved back so we could get through, sniffing loudly as she returned to her place on the couch next to Andromeda, who cradled a baby boy in her arms. Dora gently took him back as she sat down.

"Andromeda," I gasped. "I haven't seen you since I was captured."

"Oh, Lyra ... " She rushed over and hugged me tightly. "I was so worried. I had no idea if you were okay or not."

"I'm all right now," I reassured her as she released me. "Oh, and this is Theodore," I explained.

Andromeda shook his hand politely but awkwardly. "It's nice to finally meet you, though I'm sure we all wish the circumstances could different. I'm Andromeda Tonks, Lyra's aunt." Even though she was respectful and Theodore returned the greeting just as courteously, I could tell she was confused. Dora must have explained Theodore's supposed status to her.

"This must be Teddy!" I said with a little too much enthusiasm considering the mood of the room, but I was determined to break the uncomfortable silence and confusion. I approached Dora and the newborn, wanting a good look at my nephew (second cousin, really, but why nitpick?). I was surprised to see that he looked nothing like Dora or Remus. His hair was jet black and his face didn't resemble anyone in the family.

"Is he ... Dora, is he a Metamorphmagus like you?"

Nodding through fresh tears and running her hand against his head, she whispered, "He'll never know his father. He'll never know what he did for the world."

"Dora," I said, "Remus died in a heroic way. Teddy will hear the stories; he'll know it all. You'll have to tell him what Remus did. He lost his life fighting for what was right."

Dora nodded slowly. "You're ... you're right. But I just ... it's not fair for a child to grow up without - "

"Parents," I finished for her. "But Dora, if you'd lost your life tonight, he wouldn't have any parents to care for him. He'd be just like ... me, not knowing who they were. At least he'll know who his mother is."

"Lyra," she whispered as quietly as possible, "what happened with Theodore?"

"We don't have any idea," I replied in the same hushed voice. "But he was never dead."

She looked just as confused as ever. I couldn't blame her.

"Andromeda!" I turned around. "Do you have any idea where the Death Eaters went? I need to speak to Bellatr - well, you know who."

"I have no idea." Her voice sounded bitter.

"The Ministry probably captured them all," Dora answered. "I bet they're all on their way to Azkaban right now." There was ferocity in her tone, as if she believed they all deserved more than prison.

"No!" I gasped. "But I need to speak to her! And Rodolphus - they can't lock him up!"

Andromeda and Dora looked at me with puzzled and almost angry expressions.

I was quick to defend my father. "He's not like other Death Eaters," I insisted. "He actually cares about me. Honestly."

"It's true," Theodore told them. "You'd have to meet him - "

CRACK. A sharp blast split the air and cut Theodore off. Bellatrix had just Apparated into the house. The sound repeated and Rodolphus appeared behind her.

Well, I hadn't expected that.

Bellatrix turned to me with a dark look on her face and growled, "Come on, Lyra. We're leaving."

She acted as if nobody else stood in the room. I gave her a bewildered stare and simply muttered, "You're an idiot if you think this is going to be that easy. The Dark Lord may be gone, but that doesn't mean we pretend this war never happened."

To my surprise, her gaze softened. "You're right, the Dark Lord is gone. There's nothing left to do. We might as well just live our lives," she said calmly.

"As if nothing ever happened?" I shrieked. "Tonight, because of your lot, so many people died! Remus Lupin was killed, leaving his son behind! And you almost killed Dora! Teddy was almost orphaned! But a child without parents doesn't matter to you, does it? You never cared about me. You didn't care that I was practically an orphan. You say you cared, but if you did, you wouldn't have been locked up in Azkaban! You don't about him, either!" I pointed to Rodolphus. "You only care that he's a pure-blood! You haven't loved him since you joined the Death Eaters and you never loved me! All you cared about was serving your master! And he's gone! He's gone, he's dead! He's not coming back, so you're left with this, the remnants of the family you never cared about!"

Her face was hard as stone as she stared at me. In a dark, low voice, she murmured, "You know I cared about you."

"NO, YOU DID - "

 Suddenly Dora stepped up in front of me and spoke to her aunt. "You can choose where your loyalties lie. Is it the Dark Arts or your family? If it's the Dark Arts, you can kill me to prove it. If you'd just finished me off tonight, I wouldn't have cared. I'd be with Remus now instead of left behind. But if you care about your family - or care about Lyra, I guess, because I know you don't give a flobberworm about me - you won't do a thing. So, go on. Show us where your loyalties lie."

I couldn't help it - Dora's words made me angry. My cousin usually wasn't that naïve. I'm sorry, Dora, I thought bitterly. I'm sorry Remus was the only person in your life worth living for.

"There's no point," I growled, though I knew arguing with her was pointless. She wouldn't back away no matter how much I begged. But somewhere, deep down, I had a strange feeling that Bellatrix wouldn't do a thing. She pulled out her wand and held it up in front of Dora.

"Go on," Dora said. "It's up to you."

In the chair behind her, Andromeda cried as silently as she could, but the muffled sounds of heavy sobs were unmistakable.

"You deserve to be killed," Bellatrix said. "You're a filthy half-blood, daughter of a blood-traitor, and wife to a werewolf!"

"Not anymore!" Dora said, sobbing harder than ever now. "He's dead! That Death Eater - Dolohov - killed him! And now ... " She couldn't say anymore, but fell to her knees and cried into her hands.

"You disgust me," Bellatrix said. And then, the words came. Slowly, her mouth formed the words of the incantation: "Avada - "

CRACK. A new face appeared in the room: Narcissa. Why was she here so spontaneously?

"Bella!" she exclaimed frantically. "I thought I might find you here! Come on, we need to leave, now! You can come with Lucius, Draco, and me before they come for us!"

"Cissy, wait. I have some business to take care of," Bellatrix told her coolly.

"Which is what?" Narcissa snapped. "We need to hurry before the Aurors come! Or do you want to be locked up again?"

"Cissy, I told you - "

"Stop!" I shouted. "Just ... stop. Listen to me."

Andromeda, Bellatrix, Rodolphus, Dora, Theodore, and Narcissa all stared at me. I went on.

"Before you leave, just let me say this. I get it now. I see what happened. What I'm about to say may be obvious, but it's something I want to get off my chest. It's been holding me down forever, and I just have to speak."

The words came to me in fluent sentences: The reason for Bellatrix's actions, her insanity, her obsession with torture.

"You were brainwashed," I said to her. "Your parents made you think the pure-bloods were superior. You only joined them because that was what they expected. You did love Rodolphus at one time, but you fell in love with something else - Voldemort's deeds. But he failed because of that one thing - love. So he died, and those who could love survived or died fighting. You loved at one time - you loved your sisters, but your parents turned you against that because you thought Andromeda was wrong for marrying Ted. But she loved him, and that meant more to her than her parents beliefs. You couldn't understand that, and that was why you failed. That's why your precious Dark Lord is gone. Eventually, it all comes back to love."

She stared at me, unblinking for several moments. When she finally said something, it was only to mutter, "But she married a Mudblood, so ... "

"Yes!" Andromeda said suddenly, still weeping a river. "Yes, I did! But it doesn't matter anymore, because he's dead! He was killed by your people! And you couldn't care less, could you, Bella? Maybe we were once close, but you swore to never communicate with me again ... "

She trailed off, and the rest of us stopped, thinking about what she'd just used: her sister's pet name. The words quietly came from Dora's lips. "You called her Bella."

Bellatrix could only stare at Andromeda. Finally, she spoke to her for the first time in however many years. "You never gave up, did you?" she said as if she knew of nothing more pathetic.

Silence. Andromeda sniffed. Then Bellatrix's high-pitched laugh split the silence.

"You thought I'd come around even after you betrayed the family! Well, let's get a few things straight, Andromeda Tonks - "

"Bella ... Bella, wait," Narcissa said unexpectedly.

"What?" Bellatrix snarled, pointing her wand at her fragile-looking sister.

"I don't care ... about her," Narcissa said. "Andromeda is a blood-traitor. But ... think about your daughter. Think about how Andromeda raised her. You wouldn't want to kill the person who was the closest thing she had to a mother."

She had chosen her words with great care, yet everyone knew that she had crossed the line. She was begging for Bellatrix's wrath to rain down upon her, and sure enough, the oldest sister rounded on the youngest, heat boiling in her face. Then she roared, "I'm her mother! What do you mean by the closest thing she had to a mother? I am her mother!"

Narcissa shook her head and the tiny words "You're not" escaped her mouth.

"Bella," she said, "I couldn't bear seeing what you did to her, not when I had a son of my own! I didn't understand how careless you were with Lyra when there was nobody I wanted to protect more than my Draco. I ... I think she had a point, Bella! You never loved her like you should have - just like you should have loved Rodolphus and Andromeda, blood traitor or not. Look - " She walked over to me and pulled back my sleeve. "She'll have that Mark forever. And Andy will forever be a blood traitor, but that's no reason for any of this."

She stopped, as if something had just hit her with the force of a speeding Bludger. Not only had she, like Andromeda, used one of the sisters' old nicknames, but her tone had changed. It seemed unfeasible that Narcissa could be feeling remorse, but there was something in her voice.

She closed her eyes, clasped her hands together, and braced herself for the consequences of her next statement.

"I regret it all," she said quietly. "After all, I never really wanted to join the Dark Side. It was just a part of growing up in the Black family as well as marrying Lucius. But seeing my family torn apart and thrown into danger like that was driving me mad. And now it's over, so what's left to do but move forward?"

Next thing I knew, the world had turned upside-down. Before everyone's eyes, Narcissa pulled Andromeda into a hug and said, "Andy, I'm so sorry for everything. I never should have disowned you. I'm sorry about Ted, too. Things should have been different."

Andromeda, shaking tremendously, hugged her back and said in almost a whisper, "Thanks, Cissy."

The rest of us stood stupefied until Bellatrix exclaimed, "Cissy!"

"No, Bella! Even after everything that's happened, we should ... I think we should ... reconcile."

My mind was whirling. If Theodore returning hadn't been a dream, this surely was. How did we know Narcissa was being sincere? Something in the way she comforted Andromeda forced me to believe she was. Around me, Rodolphus, Theodore, and Dora were just as bewildered while Bellatrix wore a look of pure outrage.

I took advantage of the silence.

"Bellatrix," I said. "Mum, please ... listen. There's no denying what you've done and there's no taking it back." My tears were returning. "But Rodolphus and now Narcissa have shown they can change their perspective. You could too ... " I trailed away. My heart ached when I thought about the other thing on my mind: that I had always held onto the hope that she would eventually realize how warped her mind had become after all those years in Azkaban. But if the Dark Lord's death couldn't snap her out of it, nothing would ... would it?

Could I, as her daughter? With the support of my father and my aunt?

I continued my speech. "You know, I loved the life I had growing up. Andromeda and Ted were great to me. But I always felt like something was missing. I wanted to know my mum so I could know who I was. And when I finally met you in Hogsmeade that day, you wouldn't believe what I felt, finally meeting you at last, but then you left me alone. I'd finally met my mother only to have her leave me behind again." I took a deep breath. "And then came ... the Department of Mysteries battle. You ... killed Sirius ... and then everyone found out who I was ... "

I had to take a moment to regain control.

"It turned out all right because I didn't have to be stupid Lindsey Tonks. Just think: if you hadn't been locked up in Azkaban, I wouldn't have had to live my life as her. As someone else. All I wanted was to know my parents for who they were. Rodolphus gave me that, and I forgave him."

I stared Bellatrix in the eyes. The expression she returned was unreadable. From the corner of my eye, I saw Narcissa with tears in her eyes, Andromeda still in her embrace.

"Lyra ... " she whispered, "That was amazing. Bella, listen to her." The aunt I never knew smiled at me through her tears for the first time, and I returned it.

Then I faced my mother again, and that's when I saw it more clearly than ever. That mad glow in her dark eyes was fading, and before any of us knew it, she was on her knees, sobbing.

"I'm sorry! I realize everything now! Lyra was right! I failed because Mum and Dad brainwashed me and the Dark Lord made me believe it was right, and Azkaban just intensified that! It was all because of the Dark Lord! He was my master, but I felt a different sort of affection toward him, so I devoted myself to his ways! Lyra, I know you've said all of these things before, but - "

" - It took the Dark Lord's death for you to actually comprehend it," I finished for her.

She nodded slowly. "I have to confess something to you, Lyra. Before the incident with the Longbottoms, the thought of Rodolphus and me having a proper family was exactly what we wanted. I never, ever wanted you to be taken away."

"He told me," I murmured quietly. "I hardly believed it though, because I wasn't there when that happened," I said. Then I gave a tiny laugh. "Well, I guess I was there. But you know what I mean. I can't remember it."

"I wish I could prove it to you," she said.

I was astonished by how quickly she had transformed and even more stunned at how quickly I was accepting this new Bellatrix.

What a dangerous thing to do. For all I knew, this was one of the many tricks up her sleeve.

"Please prove it," I said.

"How?" she snapped, and for a brief moment the old Bellatrix was back. "I already told you everything. I don't know how to prove it."

"Veritaserum," I said with a shrug.

"Nobody has that on them, Lyra." After staying silent through the whole ordeal, my father had finally spoken. "And Bella, it's not like you to give up so easily."

I'd never seen Bellatrix look so weary, but that's what Voldemort's death had done to her.

"There may be a way," Narcissa said thoughtfully. "Bella, do you remember the letter you sent me when you first arrived in Azkaban?"

Bellatrix looked at her sister like she was mad, but then understood. "Oh ... yes. But those letters have been lost for over a decade."

"Actually, they're not lost at all," Rodolphus claimed. "I kept the one from Narcissa as soon as it arrived in Azkaban and I found the other one in a box when we were cleaning out the Malfoys' manor."

"You kept it?" Bellatrix asked, growing more amazed if that was even possible. A new expression of warmth was on her face as she looked at her husband. "Rodolphus, where is it? Where's the letter? Show it to me, now!"

"It's not on me. They're at the manor. Let me see if I can find it." In a heartbeat, he had Disapparated.

"Lyra," Bellatrix said, staring at me as if she were seeing me for the first time.

"Can I trust you?" I said.

"If that's too much to ask, I hope you can at least understand that I did care. I do care."

What would've happened if Harry had died and Voldemort lived? My gut instinct gave me the answer ... she would've stayed insane forever. It took more than me to change her, more than Rodolphus, more than Narcissa. For the rest of us to live properly, Voldemort had to die. Wasn't that how it went for the rest of the world, too?

A quarter of an hour passed before Rodolphus reappeared.

"I found the letters. Here, Lyra."

The one on top was written in a familiar hand ...

Dear Cissy,

I have a huge favor to ask of you. I need you to raise Lyra for me. The Ministry doesn't believe she exists, but you know the truth.I don't want to see her raised by anyone else. She needs to know her family. If I ever get out of here, I'll come back and raise her myself.

I feel awful about everything, but I can't take back my actions. The Longbottoms did get what they deserved, I'll admit. But Lyra shouldn't be punished for something I did. I may never see her again, and it would reassure me greatly if I knew she was in good hands.

Please, Cissy! Do this for me. It means more to me than anything. Don't let Lyra suffer because of something that is my fault. Take care of her.

-Bella

To my father I said, "You kept this all those years?"

He shrugged. "Read the next one."

The next letter was Narcissa's response, which read:

Dear Bella,

I'm sorry, but it won't work. I can't raise two kids when Lucius is a Death Eater. It's too much for us and after all, you chose your path when you tortured the Longbottoms. I realize that the Dark Lord meant more to you than Lyra. I agree that she doesn't deserve to suffer for your actions, but there's nothing I can do.

Lyra has been sent to the Tonks family. I know you won't like this, but she's better off there. The Ministry has also renamed her. Her existence is unknown to nearly everyone.

I'm sorry, once again, but it's a done deal. She'll be happier there anyway. It's best if she grows up away from our side of the world. Think of how free she'll be to become whoever she wants, unburdened by the bindings of being in a Death Eater family. If I could change it, I would give Draco the same opportunities Lyra is going to get.

Stay strong, Bella.

-Cissy

I looked at my aunt. She hadn't lied. She'd never wanted to be part of Voldemort's world; she'd just been sucked in. A rush of pity towards her and Draco hit me. Throughout my life, throughout the search of my identity, I'd never realized how free I really was compared to how it would've been.

Why had I been so angry at the pair of them? If they'd never been locked up, I would've been a Death Eater, a real Death Eater, being carted off to Azkaban right now for who knows what. Tortures? Murders?

Realizing who I was - who I'd chosen to be - in comparison to who I would've been made me decide that yes, I could forgive her just like I'd forgiven my father.

In going to Azkaban, the two of them had actually saved me.

"Mum," I said, my voice constricted with emotion. It was time for a subject change.

"Yes, Lyra?"

"What did you do to Theodore earlier? What was that spell you used?"

"Oh. That was a spell I invented. It was like a weaker Dementor's Kiss - one that would put someone in a half-dead state but with their soul still intact - crossed with the Cruciatus Curse for pain. The Dark Lord was proud of me for inventing it," she explained. There was an irritating touch of pride in her voice. "I had never tried it before. I wasn't sure what would happen if I used it. I didn't know if the victim would ever wake up."

"That's cruel!" I snarled. "That was and evil thing to do! He was in a world of pain and we both thought he was dead! He didn't know what was going on! We were both devastated!"

"I realize that now!" Bellatrix shouted back. Calming down, she said, "But I won't ever use it again."

"You shouldn't," I said with a harsh glare. "That curse should be Unforgivable."

"I won't use it anymore. Times have changed."

Yes, they had. I couldn't expect Bellatrix to immediately lose her old ways, but she had already made a huge leap tonight.

I took a moment to glance at every face in the room. Bellatrix was as sane as I had ever seen her. Rodolphus had a glow of pride and amazement on his face. Narcissa and Andromeda appeared confused and happy all at once, creating some unusual expressions I had never seen before. Dora was still miserable beyond belief over the loss of Remus, but that was to be expected. Theodore looked as alive as ever, with so much warmth in his eyes that I wanted to run up and fling my arms around him because we had survived it all.

And as I stared around the room, tears of joy and sorrow and every emotion possible streamed down my face. Just like that, the world was different. The war was over, peace had come, and the impossible feat of being a reunited family had been achieved.

Times had definitely changed.

Chapter Endnotes:

When I revised this chapter, it didn't go quite the way I wanted it to. I still think it seems too far-fetched. But what happens here is what I've been aiming towards for the whole story, so I hope you enjoyed it. More importantly I hope you think it works.

Also, who's seen DH Part 1? Isn't it amazing?!?!