Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Who Am I? by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Once again, I want to thank my beta, Lexi (Harry_Rulz). Without you, this story would not be what it is.

I do not own anything you recognize in this story. Everything belongs to J.K. Rowling. I am just thankful to be able to play in her world for a little while.
Harry walked into the kitchen to find Ron and Ginny talking quietly. Both looked up at his entrance. He held his hand up to forestall any questions from them.

“Ron, Hermione needs to talk to you. Do me a favour, and listen to her. Give her a chance to explain,” Harry told Ron as he approached the table. “And keep that Weasley temper in check. No matter what she tells you, remember she loves you but she is really mixed up right now.”

Harry could tell Ron was not only confused, but also a little scared at what Hermione was going to say to him. Harry wished he could tell him more, but he felt it was Hermione who needed to tell him.

Harry watched Ron walk out of the kitchen and sighed. He knew his friend was about to have his heart broke, but he also knew it would all work out if Ron just gave Hermione a chance to accept this new reality.

Harry sat down at the table and looked at Ginny. “So, anything new and exciting happening?” Harry made an attempt at lightning the mood that seemed to have permeated the kitchen.

When Ginny started laughing, Harry joined in. Once the laughter died away, Harry gave Ginny, Hermione’s message and then they sat and talked quietly about the fact he had a sister.

Ron had done a great job of explaining the entire situation to Ginny. Harry only had to explain a few things to her. Though it shouldn’t have, it surprised him that Ginny asked how he was dealing with this news.

At Harry’s surprised look, Ginny reached over and took his hand. “Harry, it’s not only Hermione who is affected by this, you are too. I can’t imagine finding out I have another brother or sister that I didn’t know about. You have always thought of yourself as alone, but now you find out you aren’t. You have a sister. You have to have some feelings about that.”

“Well, it’s not as if it is going to change anything. I mean… I already thought of Hermione like a sister, this just makes it real.” Harry thought about how he really felt about Hermione being his sister. He had been so focused on how Hermione felt, he didn’t even think about what he was feeling.

“I’m happy of course. I could have found out my sister was someone from Slytherin. Now that wouldn’t be good.” Harry tried to brush off his feelings. He had never been comfortable sharing them, preferring to keep them inside.

“Harry, I know you better than you think I do. This isn’t something you can just brush off. Your parents had a daughter. Your parents are not just your parents anymore. They are Hermione’s too. You have never had to share the memory of your parents with anyone. That memory has always been yours and yours alone. Now their memory also belongs to Hermione.

“I have always had to share my parents. But you never have. I know that has to bother you and that’s okay. It’s perfectly natural you would be upset, too.” Ginny stopped talking and looked at Harry. She didn’t know where all that had come from, but she knew it was all the truth.

“Ginny, when did you get so smart? I guess deep down, it is bothering me a little bit having to share everything with someone else, someone who has as much right to the memories as I do. I guess that is why I think I have been pushing too hard with Hermione. I expected her to want all the pictures from the cottage and I will admit… I was hurt she didn’t want to take them when we left there.”

“I’ve always been smart. And it was actually Ron who brought up the subject of you not dealing with this. It just got me to thinking about how you handle things. You push people away…” Ginny stopped briefly at Harry’s wince, “you think you have to do everything yourself. You share one thing with Professor Dumbledore, you care too much and as a result, you have to protect everyone even when they can protect themselves.” Ginny knew the words she spoke probably hurt Harry, but they were things that needed to be said.

Harry looked at Ginny. He knew she was right. He did do all of that and more. How could he explain to her that growing up basically alone, never having anyone to really care about him or anyone to care about, he enjoyed taking care of people? How could he explain since he found out the truth about his parents’ deaths and his scar, he has always felt it was his duty to protect the people he cared about from everything bad?

Harry had no idea how to explain this to Ginny. He wasn’t even sure he wanted to. So he decided to bring the topic back to Hermione. He knew he was going to need help to convince Ron to leave here so he thought he better tell Ginny what Hermione was about to do.

***

Hermione waited for Ron to come upstairs. Now that she had made her decision regarding him, she felt calmer than she had in the past couple of days. Hearing his knock on the door, she called for him to come in.

She saw Ron hesitate in the doorway. She wished she could offer him a reassuring smile, but all she could do was look at him. For an instant, she doubted her choice. She loved him. All she wanted to do in this moment was to curl up in his arms and let him ease the pain in her heart and soul.

“Ron, come and sit here next to me. There is something I want to talk to you about.” Hermione patted the bed next to where she was leaning against the headboard.

Slowly Ron made his way over to the bed. As he took her hand, he gave her a small smile.

“Hermione,” Ron began his voice serious, “I think I know what you are going to say. You are going to tell me you don’t want to be a couple anymore. You are sitting there, trying to find the words to tell me you need time without me around, right?” Ron tried to keep his voice level, but there was a hint of anger in it.

“Yes, that is what I am trying to find the words to tell you. It’s not that I don’t still love you,” Hermione rushed to reassure him. “It’s just I don’t know who I am so how can you? I just need some time. Please,” the last word was said in a whisper.

Ron didn’t immediately answer her. Instead he got up and stalked around the room. Hermione could tell he was fighting to control his anger. Anger she knew was fuelled by the pain she was causing.

Turning back to Hermione, Ron spoke from across the room, “Right now, I want to tell you I don’t care about your parents. I don’t care about anything we found out from Dumbledore. I love you no matter what. But...” Ron’s voice trailed off as he moved back to the bed and sat beside her. He gently stoked a finger down the side of her face.

“I won’t say those things to you, because you wouldn’t believe me. Even though they are the truth, until you can believe them, believe in my love for you, I have to agree with you. We can’t be a couple like this.” Ron stood up and leaned down to place a gentle kiss on Hermione’s forehead.

Ignoring the tears in her eyes, he stood and walked to the door. As he grasped the doorknob, he turned back to her.

“I am going back to the Burrow. I’ll handle whatever questions Mum throws at me, don’t worry. When you can believe in us again, you know where to find me.” With that, Ron walked out the door and closed it gently.

Hermione sat stunned. When had Ron grown up? There was a maturity there she hadn’t seen before or ever expected to see from him. Before she could ponder on the change in Ron, the tears overcame her again and she didn’t fight them.

***

Harry looked up as Ron walked quietly into the kitchen. Harry could see the devastation on his face, but he waited for Ron to speak so he would know how to handle the situation.

“I am going back to the Burrow. I will meet you at the Ministry in the morning for the meeting with Kingsley.” Ron looked at Harry and then without another word, he turned and walked back out of the kitchen. Before Harry or Ginny could move, they heard the slam of the front door, the only indication of the anger Ron was feeling.

Sighing Harry got up to go upstairs and close the curtains on Mrs. Black’s portrait. They could hear her screams even though they were down in the kitchen.

“Remind me to ask Kreacher if there is any way to get her portrait down,” Harry said to Ginny as he walked out of the kitchen.

***

In the month that followed, Harry and Hermione fell into a routine. They would more often than not, share a quiet breakfast together, then Harry would leave for the Ministry. He, along with Ron and Neville were actively assisting Kingsley in the capture of the roaming Death Eaters as well as the restructuring of the Auror Department. Hermione spent her days helping Kreacher make the house liveable. At first Kreacher argued against her help, but eventually he reluctantly gave in. In the past couple weeks, though he would never admit it, he was enjoying her company.

Over shared dinners, Harry would tell Hermione about what was going on at the Ministry. Harry was careful to not use Ron’s name and Hermione never directly asked about him. Harry often thought it was similar to last Christmas when they both avoided saying Ron’s name.

So it was a surprise and a shock when at dinner one night, Harry said, “Hermione, Ron gave me these two letters for you.”

Hermione took the letters and carefully opened the first one. It was from Mrs Weasley. She read it out loud to Harry;

Dear Hermione,
I am writing to you to ask you to please come to diner tomorrow night. It is Fleur’s birthday and we would love to have both of you here.

Though I am not certain I believe Ron’s reasons for both of you remaining there, I am asking you to convince Harry to come to dinner. It has been too long since we have seen either of you.

I am expecting both of you here by six o’clock tomorrow night. If you are not here by then, I will assume you couldn’t convince Harry and I will send Bill and Charlie to collect him.

Love,
Molly


Hermione didn’t say anything about the letter, she just opened the next one and began to read;

Hermione,
I tried to stop Mum from bugging you about coming for Fleur’s birthday. It didn’t work. I wish I could say she wasn’t serious about sending Bill and Charlie, but I can’t. She already informed both of them they may have to come and get you both.

I know it may be hard to be around Ron, but I don’t see any way for you not to come. I promise to run interference for you with Ron if you need me to. Just come, please.

I miss you
Ginny


Hermione carefully folded each letter and put them back into their respective envelopes before she spoke.

“I think we should go to the Burrow tonight,” she said simply.

Harry who had been expecting panic from Hermione was stunned. “Tonight?” he asked. “Why tonight?”

“I am going to tell them the truth. They deserve to know and I feel so guilty that Ron has had to lie to his mother because of me. I want to go tonight, because I don’t want to spoil Fleur’s birthday celebration.”

Hermione could tell Harry didn’t know what to say. She could also see excitement in his eyes. Knowing how close he was to the Weasleys, she was suddenly struck by how unfair she was being to him by keeping him away from them.

“Harry, I’m sorry,” she said to him causing him to look at her in confusion.

“Sorry for what?” Harry asked.

“I didn’t think how hard all of this would be on you. You have had to stay here with me and away from them for the past month. I know you see Ron everyday and probably see Mr Weasley once in a while, but to have to stay here instead of at the Burrow… I’m just sorry.” Hermione’s voice trailed off.

“Hermione, it’s okay, honest. I completely understand why you needed time. Are you sure you are ready to do this?” Harry reached across and grasped her hand.

“No, but I have to. I never thought about what my decision was costing you and having Ron lie to his mum… that isn’t right. So, are we going or not?” Hermione smiled at Harry.

“Let’s go,” Harry said, his excitement was clear in his voice. “Kreacher?” he called to the little house-elf.

“Yes, Master?” Kreacher bowed low next to Harry.

“Kreacher, Hermione and I are going to the Burrow for a couple days. Will you be okay here alone?” Harry asked him.

“Yes, Master. Kreacher will be fine. Kreacher still has much work to do here. Miss Hermione has been a help, but Kreacher does not mind working alone.”

“Okay, we will be back in a couple days. If you need anything, or there is a problem, come directly to the Burrow,” Harry said to the elf.

“Kreacher will come to the Burrow if the Master wants, but Kreacher does not see there being any problems.” With this, the house-elf started to clean off the table from their dinner.

Not wanting to give Hermione time to change her mind, Harry stood and held his hand out to her. “Let’s go up and grab some clothes and then we can go.”

Nodding, Hermione agreed.