Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Who Am I? by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: First,I want to thank my beta, Lexi (Harry_Rulz). I am so glad you stuck with me and this story.

Second, I need to give a big thanks to Carole, (Equinox Chick) for allowing me to use a potion she invented in my story.

I also want to thank my loyal readers for your patience while the muse for this story was on vacation. She is back now so updates will come regularly again.

I am not J.K. Rowling. Everything you recognise belongs to her. I am just thankful to be able to play in her world.
As Hermione approached the house, Percy came out the door. ‘Great,’ she thought, ‘now I have to deal with Percy.

“Hermione, is George okay? Where is he?” Percy asked.

“He’s fine. He said to tell everyone he would be back in a little while.” She hoped Percy would accept this and let her pass.

“Can I ask you something?” At Hermione’s nod, he continued, “What is going on with you and Ron? He didn’t look happy when you followed George outside. Is there something going on with George?”

Hermione sighed. She knew this was going to be the general thought when they told everyone they were going away together. Well, she was going to put a stop to it right now.

“There is nothing going on between me and George other than I understand what he is going through and he understands what I am going through.” Hermione realized as soon as she said it, Percy didn’t know about her true parentage. At Percy’s look of confusion, Hermione knew she would have to explain it all again.

“To make a long story short, the Grangers are not my birth parents. Harry, Ron and I found this out a month ago when we went to Hogwarts at Professor McGonagall’s request. Professor Dumbledore took me from my birth parents seconds after I was born to protect me. The Potters are my birth parents.

“So, you see, right now, I don’t know who I am and George is feeling the same way. He doesn’t know who just George is. Knowing I understand what he is feeling, he has been able to talk to me about what he has been going through. That is all.” Hermione almost started laughing at the look of shock on Percy’s face.

“How is that possible? I mean, you are older than Harry,” Percy said.

“Look, ask Harry to explain it all to you. I really don’t feel like going through it all again. I need to go in and help your mum with the party,” Hermione said. She knew she was being very rude, but at this exact moment, she didn’t care. The Weasley brothers were giving her a headache.

“Hermione, wait, please?” Percy said. “Can I ask you something else?”

Her headache growing, Hermione nodded.

“Does George… I mean, he won’t look at me, won’t talk to me…” Hermione saw Percy take a deep breath. “He blames me, doesn’t he?”

Hermione had to push back the rush of anger that ran through her body. The damage done by one evil man… the damage still being done to this family was unbelievable. She looked at Percy and realized his pain was as deep as any of the other members of this now fractured family; maybe more so because of his separation from the family over the past few years and his proximity to Fred when he died.

“Percy, he doesn’t blame you,” Hermione said. Seeing his look of disbelief, she knew she was going to have to explain. “He blames himself, for not being there. He knows you blame yourself and he hurts because he can’t take your pain away and tell you it’s not your fault, it’s his.”

“How in the hell is it his fault?” Percy said, his voice rising in anger. “Merlin, is that what he thinks? He is to blame?” Percy’s head dropped, but not before Hermione saw the tears in his eyes.

Reaching out a hand, she grabbed his hand in hers. She waited until he looked at her. “I will tell you the same thing I told George, it is not any of our fault. Not yours, not George’s, not mine, Harry’s or Ron’s. The only one to blame is Voldemort. Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go help your mum.” She didn’t wait for a response. She dropped his hand and rushed into the house.

Though she was going to help Mrs Weasley, she first needed to help herself. She went directly to Ginny’s room without acknowledging anyone. Opening the door, she was grateful the room was empty.

Hermione went directly to her small bag, opened it and summoned the pain relieving potion she had put in there. She took the prescribed amount of the Poenaserum, and then at a sharp pain through her head, she took a bit more. She put the bottle on the nightstand and lay down on the bed, closing her eyes with a sigh.

***

Hermione’s entrance and quick exit up the stairs did not go unnoticed by anyone. The fact she had followed George outside and then Percy followed her and only she returned was not lost on them either.

When the door opened and Percy came back in, Molly knew from the look on his face he had spoken to Hermione and was still upset.

Percy walked over and sat at the table. He looked at Harry and said, “Tell me the long version of just what in the name of Merlin is going on. Hermione gave me the short version about her parents and yours. I want to know what she was talking about. How was this possible?”

“Percy, dear, did you see George outside?” Molly asked.

“No, Mum. I think he and Hermione may have had words because she came back alone. I didn’t see him anywhere. Though Hermione did say he had something to do and would be right back. ”

“Words? That doesn’t seem right. What could they have had words about?” Molly asked looking around the table. Everyone shrugged their shoulders.

Harry began telling Percy the whole story. Amid numerous questions, and with help from Ron and Ginny, all Percy’s questions were answered.

“I can see why she didn’t want to explain everything. I am having a hard time grasping the complexity of everything myself,” Percy said. “So, that is why you have been staying here, Ron, because Hermione broke up with you.”

“Yeah,” mumbled Ron standing. “Mum, I am going to go for a walk. I’ll keep an eye out for George while I am out there.” He didn’t wait for an answer, he just walked out of the house, head bent and shoulders slumped.

Bill watched him go. He knew his brother’s heart was breaking. Deciding to go after him and see if he wanted to talk, he stood. “Mum, I am going go talk to Ron. I think he needs someone who isn’t directly involved in all this to talk to.” Bending he kissed Fleur lightly on the lips and followed Ron out the door.

“Well, since we are having a party here in a few hours, we had all better get to work,” Molly said and she started giving out instructions. Soon, everyone was busy.

***

Seven years, Ron thought, It took seven years for them to finally get together and in the span of an hour, for the end to begin.

Ron walked towards the meadow behind the Burrow thinking about the reasons he was staying here and not at number twelve, Grimmauld Place. He had agreed with Hermione’s decision for them to break-up.

Now, seeing her again, he wondered if he had given in too easily. He loved her more than he ever thought possible. The kind of love that kept his parents together through good times and bad, raising seven children and losing one of them.

He thought he had that with Hermione, that love that would last forever. He still thought that even if she doubted him and herself. He only hoped she would realise this before much more time had gone by.

“Ron!” yelled a voice from behind him. “Wait up; I want to talk to you.”

Ron turned to see Bill coming up the small hill. Ron figured he was about to have to listen to a lecture about walking out on the preparations for Fleur’s birthday party.

“What’s up?” Ron asked as he began walking again.

“I thought maybe you might want to talk about what is really going on with you and Hermione,” Bill said to him as he draped his arm around Ron’s shoulder.

“Nothing is going on, that’s what’s going on,” Ron said sadly. “Bill, can I ask you something?”

“Sure, anything,” Bill said.

“Did I do the right thing? When Hermione told me she was breaking up with me, did I do the right thing by letting her go?”

Bill looked at his baby brother. He knew Ron was asking more than the simple question. He was wondering if he had thrown his shot at happiness out the window.

“Ron, the simple answer is yes, you did the right thing under the circumstances,” Bill said. “I am very proud of you and your decision shows how much you have grown up this past year.”

“But what if she decides she doesn’t want me back? What if she decides I gave up too easily and…” Ron said, letting his thoughts trail off.

“What if the sun comes crashing down tomorrow? What if Fleur realises she hates it here? What if… what if…” Bill stopped walking and stood in front of Ron. “Ron, we cannot live our lives with the what ifs. They will drive you crazy if you try. You did what was right under tough circumstances. You did the grown-up thing and let her go.”

Ron looked at his brother. He knew deep down Bill was right. He started walking back to the Burrow.

“Growing up sucks,” he said simply.

“That it does, little brother, that it does,” Bill said and began laughing. Ron soon joined him.

As Bill and Ron got closer to the house, they could see the door to the shed was open. They watched as George came out and closed the door.

“George,” called Ron, “Mum is looking for you.”

George jumped and spun around upon hearing Ron’s voice. He had a very guilty look on his face.

“Bill, Ron, what are you doing out here?” he asked moving quickly away from the shed.

“Just talking,” said Bill. “What are you doing? Or should I ask, what are you planning?” Bill smiled at his brother. It didn’t matter what George was planning, the fact he was planning anything was a good sign.

“Um, nothing,” said George. “I just...” He looked back at the shed. “Do you know where Hermione is? I think I owe her an apology.”

“She went up to her room a little while ago. Came in and didn’t say anything to anyone, just went upstairs,” answered Bill.

George nodded and began walking towards the house. Ron stared after him and then looked at Bill.

“You don’t think...” He let his voice trail off. He couldn’t even voice the thoughts running through his head.

“That there is something going on between Hermione and George?” Bill asked. At Ron’s nod, he continued, “No. I just think both of them are feeling lost right now and leaning on each other for understanding.” Bill smiled at Ron’s confused look.

“Hermione doesn’t know who she is anymore and I am guessing, neither does George. It is only natural they would turn to each other because of what they are feeling. But, I think it is only friendship. She loves you, Ron. It may just take her a little while to realise it.” Bill put a hand on Ron’s shoulder and squeezed.

“Come on, we better get back inside. Mum will have our heads if we don’t help,” Bill said.

“Yeah, she was positively mental before your wedding,” said Ron chuckling as he began to walk with Bill back to the house.

*****

George waved at his mum as he walked past the kitchen and up the stairs. He needed to talk to Hermione. He wanted to tell her she was, as usual, right. He had been feeling sorry for himself and it was time to honour Fred instead of mourning him.

He knocked softly on the door as he opened it. Hermione was laying on the bed sound asleep. He walked over and looked down at her.

“Hermione?” he called softly. She didn’t even stir. “Hermione,” he said a bit louder and reached out to shake her shoulder. She still didn’t stir. George sat down on the bed and tried again.

When she still didn’t respond, he began to get worried. He could tell she was breathing, though to him, it seemed too soft. He looked around and spotted the bottle on the nightstand. He grabbed in and looked at the label.

‘Miss Carole’s Poenaserum,’ it read. He read the next line, ‘Good for any pain you may have.’ George looked back at Hermione. The dosage instructions were given and below them, a warning against taking more than the prescribed amount.

As he read the warnings and what could happen, he got more scared. She wasn’t responding to him. Her breathing was shallow. He grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her. She didn’t respond.

“MUM!” George bellowed. “Come quick!” He heard the rush of footfalls on the stairs as he stood. He shoved the bottle in his pocket and scooped Hermione up in his arms. As his mum followed closely by everyone else came in the room, he looked frantically at them.

“I think she took too much Poenaserum. I’m taking her to St Mungo’s.” He didn’t wait for a response from anyone; he turned on the spot and Disapparated.