Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Who Am I? by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I wish again to thank my wonderful beta, Lexi (Harry_Rulz). Thank you for your quick work and thoughtful comments.

Everything you recognize in this story belongs to J. K. Rowling. I am just thankful to get to play in her world.
George reappeared in the middle of the reception area at St. Mungo’s. He strode quickly to the desk. A quick glance down at Hermione confirmed she was still unconscious in his arms.

“I need help. She needs help. I think she took too much of...of a pain potion,” he said. His words were rushed and each one was laced with panic.

“Do you know what potion she took?” asked the Welcome Witch.

“Yes, I brought the bottle, but it is in my pocket. Listen, she needs to see a Healer now,” he demanded.

“Yes, yes,” she said condescending. “Take her to the third floor; they can help you up there.” She picked up a magazine and began to read it.

George turned and rushed to the elevator. Once inside he jammed a finger on the button marked three and wondered briefly why they didn’t hire a more competent person to man the front desk. As the door began to open, George pushed through them. He approached the desk and started talking before the witch standing there could say anything.

“She needs help. She took too much of a pain potion, which before you even ask, I have in my pocket.”

“Bring her in here,” said the witch as she rushed to open a door to a room a few feet down the hall. “Place her on the bed. I will summon the Healer-in-Charge immediately.” She turned and rushed off even before George laid Hermione on the bed.

As George reached into his pocket and pulled out the small potion bottle, an older wizard came through the door.

“I am Ignatius Derwent,” the Healer said as he approached George. Reaching his hand out, he shook George’s hand. “Is that the potion she took?” he asked calmly. At George’s nod, he continued, “Do you know how much she took?”

George shook his head. “No, I can tell you it was at most an hour ago she took it.”

“Hmm,” the Healer said. He turned and, as George watched, began to examine Hermione. “Do you know when this was purchased?”

“No, perhaps Harry or Ron may know,” said George. “I would imagine they are downstairs by now.”

The words were no sooner out of George’s mouth when the door swung open and Harry, Ron and Mrs Weasley rushed through the door.

“Is she...” Ron’s voice trailed off.

“Do any of you know when this potion was purchased?” the Healer asked. He didn’t pause nor look up from his examination.

“Not really,” said Ron. “I mean we haven’t exactly been to Diagon Alley recently.”

“So, this wasn’t bought within the last six months?” asked Ignatius.

“No, I don’t think so,” said Harry. “Is that important?” George could hear the fear in his voice.

“Yes. This type potion gains strength the longer it sits. Do you know if anyone in her family has had a bad reaction to this potion?”

Each of them shook their head. George was getting more scared with each question the Healer asked. He kept reminding himself that Hermione was a very bright witch who would have known the potion gained potency over time. She wouldn’t have taken more than the prescribed amount and if she had had the potion for a while, she would have taken less of it.

“Wait,” said Harry suddenly. “After my arm was broken second year, Madam Pomfrey told me she couldn’t give me any of that potion because my dad had a bad reaction to it in his sixth year.”

“That is all well and good, young man, but what does that have to do with her?” the Healer asked impatiently.

“She’s my sister,” said Harry. At the Healer’s startled look, Harry continued, “We would appreciate it if you didn’t tell anyone she is my sister. We only just found out and don’t want anyone to know.”

“Of course, Mr Potter, of course,” said Ignatius. “I will go and brew the proper antidote to this potion.” As he walked past Harry, he patted him on the shoulder. “I will take good care of your sister,” he said to him.

George sat down on the bed next to Hermione. He knew Ron wouldn’t be happy but there was something he needed to say to her. He leaned down close to her and whispered to her.

“Hermione, I know you can hear me. I am sorry if I upset you earlier. You were right. You are always right. Come on, Hermione, you need to wake up. We have to go on our adventure. We have to go and get your parents.” George straightened up. He looked at Ron and knew his brother was as angry as he was scared.

“Ron, I just wanted to apologise to her. She gave me a piece of her mind earlier and I just had to tell her, as usual, she was right.” As the door opened and Healer Ignatius Derwent walked in, George stood and moved back closer to his mother. Molly wrapped an arm around his waist and pulled him close to her.

Healer Derwent gave Hermione a few drops of the potion he had brought in with him. Standing, he laid a hand on her chest and studied her intently. When there were no visible signs of change, he repeated the process. He didn’t speak until after the fourth dosage.

“I have given her as much of the antidote as I dare for now. I am afraid now we will just have to wait and see. From what I have read about her, I know she was raised as a Muggle. I think it may be a good idea for her parents to be brought in.” He looked at them.

“Her parents are still in Australia, on...vacation,” said Ron. “It would take hours to go and get them and then to get them here.”

George looked down at Hermione then at his mother. “I know where they are,” he said. “I will go and get them.”

“But George, she performed a Memory Charm on them, they don’t even remember her,” said Molly.

“I know, Mum.” He leaned down and kissed his mother on the cheek. He pulled out of her loose embrace and went over to lean over Hermione. “I guess I am taking this trip solo. Just hang on, Hermione. I will have your parents back here as quick as I can.”

“George, how are you going to get there?” asked Molly.

“I am going to talk to Kingsley. I’m sure he will help me. If anyone can cut through the red tape to set up the International Floo connections I need, he can.” George headed towards the door. “I’ll be back as quick as I can.”

“I am sorry,” said Molly, “I didn’t catch your name.”

“I am Ignatius Derwent,” said the Healer, holding out his hand to Molly.

“Derwent?” she asked. “Are you related to Dilys?”

“Yes, she was my great-great-grandmother,” he answered smiling. “I take it until her parents arrive, you will be acting as a surrogate mother?”

Molly nodded. “However, if you need a relative to make any...any decisions, then that will have to be done by Harry,” she told him.

As they spoke, Harry and Ron approached the bed. Without speaking, they each sat down next to her, one on each side. They each took one of her hands before they looked at each other.

“Reminds me of-” began Ron.

“-of when she was Petrified,” finished Harry with a half smile. “Madam Pomfrey took care of her then. She was okay, she’ll be okay this time,” said Harry. Ron just nodded and looked back down at Hermione.

“I will be close by if there is any change,” said Ignatius. “If there is let the nurse know immediately.” He gave a reassuring smile and left the room.

Molly moved closer to the bed and looked down at Hermione. What was that girl thinking? Taking too much of a potion...had to be a mistake. she thought. Though Molly thought it had to be a mistake, deep down, she worried it wasn’t. No, Hermione wouldn’t do something like that, she reassured herself.

“I am going to go find a Floo connection I can use to let everyone know what is going on. I doubt-” her words were cut off by the door opening. In rushed Bill, Fleur and Ginny.

“Mum,” said Ginny as she rushed over to her mother, “what is going on? Will Hermione be okay?”

Molly took a deep breath; she knew it was going to be as hard for them to hear as it was going to be to say. “We don’t know. She isn’t responding to the antidote. We don’t know when she bought the potion or how much she actually took. Harry remembered Madam Pomfrey told him his dad had a bad reaction to this potion. Where’s Percy?”

“He went to tell Dad what happened. Where’s George?” Bill asked, looking around the room.

“He went to get Hermione’s parents from Australia, the Healer thinks they should be here,” she answered. At this news, Ginny gasped. Molly watched as she rushed over to the bed and sat next to Harry.

Suddenly, Harry stood up. “Madam Pomfrey!” he exclaimed. At everyone’s confused looks, he explained, “She treated my dad. She’ll know what to do to help Hermione.”

“Do you think she is at the school?” asked Ron.

“Yes, I’m sure she is,” said Harry. “If she’s not, then Professor McGonagall will know where she is.” He started walking towards the door.

Bill reached out to stop Harry. “Let me go. You should be here with your sister. What potion did she take?” he asked.

Ron reached over and picked the bottle up and held it out to Bill. Bill moved closer to Ron to take it and read the label.

Poenaserum, I’ve heard of this. It is pretty strong stuff,” he said. “I’ll be back as quick as I can.” He kissed his mum on the cheek, before hugging and kissing Fleur goodbye.

Watching Bill leave, Harry felt better. He knew Madam Pomfrey would know what to do. Harry went back over and sat down on the bed. As he looked down at Hermione, he hoped Bill and George would get back quickly.

*****
Bill rushed through the doors of Hogwarts castle. He quickly went up the stairs headed towards the Hospital Wing. In his haste, he didn’t see Professor McGonagall coming down the staircase until he ran into her. He instinctively reached out to steady her and keep her from falling.

“Bill, what are you doing here? Has something happened?” she asked.

“Yes, Professor. It’s Hermione; she accidentally took too much Poenaserum. I’ve come to get Madam Pomfrey,” he explained quickly. He walked around Professor McGonagall and continued up the stairs.

“Poppy? But surely she should have been taken to St. Mungo’s,” she exclaimed as she followed behind him.

“She is in St Mungo’s,” he answered. “The Healer gave her the antidote, but she...but she...” Bill took a deep breath. “She isn’t responding to it. Harry remembered Madam Pomfrey telling him his dad had a bad reaction to the potion. He thinks Madam Pomfrey can help Hermione. He thinks that may be why the antidote isn’t working.”

“Of course, of course,” said McGonagall thoughtfully, “we almost lost James.” She reached out and stopped Bill before he could turn towards the Hospital wing. “Poppy isn’t in her office. Come to my office and I will locate her for you. It is probably better to tell her this there anyway,” she said quietly.

As they rushed to the Headmistress’ office, Bill noticed for the first time the castle seemed to be restored back to its former glory. He wasn’t surprised that the stone gargoyle guarding the final set of stairs to the office was repaired. He followed Professor McGonagall up the winding staircase after she gave the gargoyle the password.

Entering the office, Professor McGonagall went directly to the fireplace. Taking a small handful of Floo Powder, she threw it in the fire and called Madam Pomfrey to her office. Turning she walked over and stood in front of the portrait of Albus Dumbledore.

“Albus, Hermione is gravely ill from Poenaserum. We have to tell Poppy of the connection to James,” she told him.

Bill saw Professor Dumbledore nod. “I understand. She will, of course, be confused as to how. I have no doubt she will know what I did,” he said gravely.

At that moment, the door opened and Madam Pomfrey rushed through it. “Minerva, what is wrong?” she asked.

“Poppy, Hermione is in St Mungo’s. She has taken Poenaserum and is not responding to the antidote,” McGonagall told her. “Bill has come to get you and take you to her.”

“She’s not responding to the antidote?” she asked confused. “I don’t understand.”

“Hermione is-”

“Hermione is Harry’s sister,” Bill said cutting across Professor McGonagall. “Harry remembered you said his dad had a bad reaction to it. He sent me to get you to help her.”

“That isn’t possible,” Madam Pomfrey argued. “I treated Lily Potter when she was pregnant. I can assure you, Harry doesn’t have a sister.”

“My dear Poppy,” said Dumbledore. “I am afraid your memory is not what it should be. I am, of course, responsible for this. Hermione is in fact, Harry’s twin sister. However, we do not have the time for explanations. I will explain everything when you return. You must but trust me for now, and go and take care of Miss Granger.”

Madam Pomfrey looked as if she wanted to argue, to demand answers but she looked again at Bill and saw the panic and fear in his face. “I will be but a few moments while I gather what I need from my office.” She turned and went to the fireplace. Using the Floo Powder, she went to her office.

“Bill, I must ask,” began Professor McGonagall, “you said she took too much of the potion. Was this an accident?”

Bill nodded. “Yes, I believe it was. Overall, I would say she is coping with all of this as well as can be expected. We don’t see much of her or Harry, but they seem closer than ever. I only wish I could say the same of her and Ron,” he said quietly, almost to himself.

The fireplace flared green and Madam Pomfrey stepped out carrying a small bag. “Let’s get going,” she said to Bill. “I will let you know as soon as I can,” she told Professor McGonagall as she headed toward the door.

“Poppy, wait,” called Professor McGonagall. She walked over to the fireplace and waved her wand several times. “Use the Floo back to St Mungo’s. I lifted the security for this one time.”

Madam Pomfrey and Bill walked quickly over to the fireplace. Both took some of the Floo Powder and stepped into the fireplace.

As the green flames died away, Professor Dumbledore said, “I do hope this was an accident.”

“I’m sure it was,” answered Professor McGonagall, still looking at the fireplace. “I’m sure it was.”