Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Who Am I? by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I wish to thank my wonderful and patient beta, Lexi (Harry_Rulz). Lexi has stuck with me through many times of my muse running off.

I do not own anything you recognize in this story. It all belongs to J.K. Rowling. I am just thankful to escape to her world for a little while.
Hermione was released from St Mungo’s two days later. During the time she spent in the hospital, the Grangers stayed at Grimmauld Place, at Harry’s insistence. Ron and Ginny also stayed there, to which Harry was grateful. He felt slightly uncomfortable, and for some strange reason guilty, over Hermione being his sister.

Everyone, including all the Weasleys, was sitting at the kitchen table when Harry and the Grangers brought Hermione home. Mrs Weasley rushed over to her and drew her into a bone crushing hug.

“Welcome home, dear,” she said as she loosened her grip slightly. “Come and sit down, dinner will be ready shortly. I’m sure you are in need of some real food after the hospital food.” She pulled Hermione over and sat her down next to Ron.

The Grangers followed behind her and sat next to her. Harry took the empty seat next to Ginny, across from Ron. Ginny picked up the envelope that was on the table in front of her. She reached over the table to hand it to Hermione.

“Your Hogwarts letter,” she said smiling. “I’m glad you are going to come back, though that means you will be sharing a dorm with me.”

Hermione opened the envelope and took out the letter. The first part of the first page was the normal instructions on when the train would leave from King’s Cross station, but the last paragraph explained that because of students who missed the previous year returning this year, the dorms may be a bit more crowded. It also instructed her to send an owl back if she did, in fact, intend to return to school.

“I will let Professor McGonagall know I will be coming back to school when I am there tomorrow,” said Hermione as she put the letter back in the envelope.

“You’re going to Hogwarts tomorrow?” asked Ron.

Hermione nodded without looking at him. “Yes, my...parents would like to speak to Professor Dumbledore,” she said. Though the pause before she said parents was only a fraction of a second longer than normal, pain crossed through Mrs Granger’s eyes at Hermione’s hesitation.

“I suppose Harry is going with you?” asked Ron, his voice held bitterness.

Hermione turned her head towards him, surprise over the bitterness evident on her face. “Yes,” she answered hesitantly. “But, I was going to ask you if you wanted to go with us,” she said.

Ron’s face showed his surprise at being included. “Yeah,” he answered quickly. “I would like to go with you.” He smiled tentatively at Hermione who returned the smile.

Hermione had plenty of time to think over the past couple days. She had also had a few long conversations with George who had come to the hospital to see her after everyone had left. They had talked about how each of them was feeling unsure of whom they each were and they had talked about what they were going to do now.

George told Hermione how he wasn’t sure he could face running the store without Fred and Hermione countered with how he would feel if Fred closed the shop had he died. Hermione said how she loved Ron, but she wasn’t the same person now, and George countered that just because different blood ran through her veins didn’t make her a different person.

Back and forth the debates raged often far into the night. By this morning, it had been decided that George would be opening the shop tomorrow, and Hermione was going to give Ron a chance.

During dinner, Hermione caught George’s eye and nodded encouragingly to him. George cleared his throat and everyone turned to look at him.

“Mum, Dad, I am going to be moving back over the shop today. I’m going to...” He looked at Hermione who smiled at him. “I’m going to be opening the shop back up again tomorrow,” he said in a rush.

“Oh, Georgie,” Molly exclaimed, standing quickly she rushed over to draw George into a hug. “Perhaps you should stay home a bit longer; you can use the Floo Network to get to the shop.”

“No, Mum,” said George gently. “I need to do this. I have to do this now.”

“George-”

“Molly,” Arthur interrupted her, “let the boy be. George, anything you need, and your room will always be there for you.”

George nodded gratefully to his father. “I know,” he said simply.

After that, the conversation around the table resumed. Plans were made for Hermione, the Grangers, Harry and Ron to leave first thing in the morning for Hogwarts. Though the Grangers weren’t sure about Apparating, Hermione and Harry convinced them, while slightly uncomfortable, it would be the easiest way to get there.

As dinner was finishing, Hermione turned to Ron and smiled at him. She leaned close to him and said, “Ron, will you...I mean could you...” Hermione struggled for the right words. She wanted him to stay at Grimmauld Place tonight, but she didn’t know how to ask him without him taking it the wrong way.

“Will I what, Hermione?” he asked, his voice slightly colder than it used to be before all of this happened.

“Will you stay here tonight?” she asked. “I mean, we are leaving early and all.” She knew she was messing this up. “And, I would like to talk to you about...us,” she added quickly.

Ron just nodded and after looking at her for a few seconds more, turned away to talk to Harry about something that happened at work a few days ago.

*****

Hermione sat on the bed in her room at Grimmauld Place and waited for Ron to come up. She had asked him to join her in her room before she came upstairs. She had no idea what she was going to say to him and she suspected he was not going to make this easy on her.

“Come in,” she called when someone knocked on the door. “Hi, Ron,” she said to him as he came through the door.

Ron didn’t reply at first. He came in, shut the door, and looked over at her. “You wanted to talk to me?” he asked, his voice cold.

No, she mentally groaned, he is not going to make this easy. “Ron, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking-”

“And talking to George,” Ron said bitterly.

“Well, yes,” she said hesitantly. “I’ve been thinking about us... Oh, Ron, will you please just sit down instead of pacing around the room?”

“Sit down? Why should I sit down? Will that make it easier for you to tell me it is over? Will that make it easier for you to tell me you don’t want to try to make our relationship work? No, I think I would rather be on my feet for this.” Hermione heard the anger and bitterness but she also heard the hurt and pain in his words.

“Ron, please. I...I...” Hermione took a deep breath before continuing, “I want to talk about us getting back together.” Her words came out quickly and it took Ron a few moments for their meaning to sink in. When they did, he stopped in his tracks and looked at her, hope in his eyes.

“Do you mean that?” he asked cautiously.

Hermione nodded. Ron walked over to the bed and dropped down beside her. He drew her into his arms and just held her. Both of them were too overwhelmed with emotion to speak.

Slowly, Ron pulled back from Hermione. He looked down at her and smiled. “So, what made you finally see reason?”

Hermione hesitated before answering. “George,” she said but then seeing the look on Ron’s face, rushed to explain. “We spent a lot of time talking about how we both were different people than we were a few months ago. But, deep down, we made each other see we were still the same. I know that doesn’t make sense to you. I don’t know how to explain it better.” Hermione shrugged.

She knew Ron had been worried about her becoming so close to George, but she couldn’t put aside what George had come to mean to her for Ron, or for anyone.

“It doesn’t matter. I know you and George have become close. I can’t deny you have been able to get through to him when none of us could. I should thank you for giving me back my brother. And I guess I should thank him for giving me back you.” Ron smiled.

He reached out to stroke the side of her face, and then leaned down to kiss her. Though the kiss started gentle, it soon became more, leaving both of them gasping for air.

“I should go,” said Ron. “You have a big day tomorrow.”

“We have a big day tomorrow. But, could you stay, just a bit longer?” she asked.

Ron smiled and nodded. He adjusted himself so he was half sitting, half lying on the bed next to her and drew her into his arms. As she settled in, resting her head on his chest, Ron gave a sigh of relief and contentment. It didn’t take long for both of them to fall asleep just as they were.
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks to all my readers who keep sticking by me even through the long waits between chapters.