Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Who Am I? by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I once again wish to thank my wonderful betas, Harry_Rulz (Lexi), iloverupertgrint (Stacey), eleven49. I also wish to thank J.K. Rowling for creating the world in which I as a writer get to play in.

In the month since The Battle at Hogwarts, life had changed. In most ways these changes were for the better, but some days everything seemed wrong again and just getting through the day was an accomplishment. Today was one of those days.

Kingsley Shacklebolt, newly elected Minister of Magic, had just left the Burrow. He had visited the Weasley’s home to divulge the information in the wills of Fred, Remus, and Tonks. It had been a very sorrowful experience; Mrs. Weasley had been so overcome with grief when Kingsley had brought out Fred’s will that she had left the room. As soon as Kingsley was gone, Harry, Ron, and Hermione had escaped outside to the garden.

“So I’ve been thinking,” Hermione said, pausing and taking a deep breath. “I want to go find my parents and restore their memories.” She spoke rather quickly, as if knowing she would soon be interrupted. “After all, Voldemort’s dead now, and “”

“Hermione, we’ve been over this. Not all the Death Eaters have been caught, so it’s still too dangerous,” Harry replied sympathetically.

“I know, but after hearing those wills . . . I mean, life is so short. I miss them, Harry,” Hermione said, her eyes brimming with barely suppressed tears.

Ron put his arm around her and murmured consolingly, “I know you do. But Harry is right; they would be in danger if we brought them back.”

Just then a large brown barn owl swooped down and held out her leg to Hermione, who bent down to remove the letter the owl was carrying.

Looking at the face of the envelope, Hermione said, “It’s addressed to me, from Hogwarts.”

“Open it, Hermione,” Ron urged.

Hermione opened the letter. “It’s from Professor McGonagall, listen:

‘Hermione,
I hope this finds all of you well. I need to speak with you before you go to Australia to bring back your parents. Please come to Hogwarts as soon as possible. You may bring Harry and Ron with you; in fact, that would be preferable.
Sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall
Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry'"


“I wonder what this is all about,” Ron said curiously.

“I don’t know,” replied Harry simply.

“I think we should go tomorrow,” Hermione said, looking up from the letter. “Today’s been too hectic already what with Kingsley bringing the wills over and all.”

***

Morning found Hermione, Ron, and Harry sitting alone at the table in the Burrow’s kitchen. They were discussing the best way to get to Hogwarts as they ate breakfast, which consisted of toast and tea.

“I think we should just Apparate into Hogsmeade and walk up from there,” said Harry. “After all, Professor McGonagall may know that we’re coming, but she didn’t say that we should Floo into the school. And I doubt Aberforth would want us appearing in his tavern. That is, if it’s even open again.”

“Okay,” replied Hermione, “we’ll leave as soon as we finish breakfast. I want to find out what Professor McGonagall wants so I can go to Australia later today. I mean, she said in her letter . . . so she’s obviously expecting me to go soon.”

Ron gave Harry a resigned look that clearly said, ‘What can we do? She’s not going to change her mind about this.’ Hurriedly, the three finished their breakfast, and Ron scribbled a brief note to his family before they left.

When the crushing darkness of Apparition ended, the trio found themselves standing in the middle of Hogsmeade. They began the walk up to Hogwarts without meeting anyone.
As they approached the gates to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, they noticed the gates were closed. But before Ron could ask how they were going to get inside, the gates swung open on their own.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione had not been back to the school since the memorial service for those who had been killed in the battle. The service had been held one week after the battle, when much of the castle was still damaged from the fight. Now, three weeks later, they saw that the castle had been repaired. There was no sign that the battle that had determined the future of the Wizarding community had been fought on these grounds. All three were silent as they walked to the Headmistress’s office, remembering what had taken place.

As they reached the Headmistress’s office, they saw the statue that guarded the steps was functional again as well. At once they realized that they did not know the password.

“Dumbledore?” Harry asked, remembering that that name had gained him entry only a few weeks ago. The statue immediately moved aside and the staircase began to rotate upward. They climbed onto the steps, and at the top, they approached the door and knocked.

The door swung open, and the three entered, not knowing exactly what they would find inside. When Professor Dumbledore had been Headmaster, there were tables with lots of shiny silver magical devices on them. Now they saw that while the tables were still there with their magical instruments, they had been moved closer to the bookcases that lined every wall. Though Professor McGonagall was nowhere to be seen, hanging behind the desk, was a large portrait of Professor Dumbledore. Surprisingly, next to it hung a portrait of Professor Snape. Though shocked, Harry smiled. He was glad that Snape’s portrait hung in the office with the rest of the former Headmasters. Harry had personally gone to the Governors of the school and petitioned for Professor Snape’s portrait to be included. He told them what Snape had done not only for him, but for the Wizarding world. He was pleased his request had been approved.

Approaching the portrait, Harry looked into the face of the man who had made his six years at Hogwarts miserable. Well, Snape hadn’t made all of it miserable; just the classes Harry had had with him. Harry now knew all Snape’s secrets. How Snape had loved Harry’s mother Lily for most of his life. How he was the one who had told Voldemort of the prophecy that had begun Voldemort’s quest to kill Harry. How from the moment Voldemort threatened Lily, Snape worked to bring about the downfall of Voldemort.

“Professor Snape?” Harry spoke directly to the portrait, even though Snape appeared to be sleeping. “There are some things I’d like to say to you.” Harry paused, waiting to see if Snape would ‘wake up’. “I know you’re not sleeping, but if pretending you are gives you comfort, well then by all means continue. I’m going to have my say whether you acknowledge me or not.” He paused again, looking pointedly at the portrait, whose occupant continued to snore unconvincingly. Harry readied himself. “I want to say . . . ,” Harry stopped and took a few deep breaths before quickly saying, “I want to say thank you. I know what you did for the past sixteen years couldn’t have been easy. I also know you only did it for my mother’s sake, not for mine, and certainly not for my father’s. But regardless of why you behaved the way you did, thank you." Harry once again took a deep breath before continuing.

“I may never forgive you for betraying my parents, because even though you tried to save my mother, you were the reason my parents were killed. I may never forgive you for the way you treated me, but what you did, in the end it gave me the means to destroy Voldemort once and for all.” Harry felt somewhat embarrassed for having given such a speech, especially with his friends and all the other portraits listening, but he was glad that he was given the opportunity to talk to Snape one last time.

“I think, Severus, that Harry deserves some response from you. Wouldn’t you agree? After all, it would only be polite to at least acknowledge his thanks.” Professor Dumbledore was smiling down at Harry as he spoke. The seconds ticked by with no answer from Snape’s portrait. “Well Harry, it seems Professor Snape is going to continue to pretend to be asleep, so let us move on. It is good to see the three of you again. Professor McGonagall will be along in a moment, she had to settle a little disagreement between Peeves and Mr. Filch.”

At that moment, the door opened and Professor McGonagall entered. She did not speak as she walked behind the desk and sat down.

“Well, sit down,” McGonagall said, gesturing to the three chairs in front of her desk, but Harry, Ron, and Hermione were too astounded to comply, wondering what could possibly be going on. “This will probably take a while for us to explain. Yes, us,” she added in response to the questioning looks on Hermione, Ron, and Harry’s faces. “Professor Dumbledore and I thought it best if we told you here. However, this will be mainly Professor Dumbledore’s explanation, as he is the one who was directly involved. I only found out everything yesterday.”

“As did I,” said Professor Snape sourly, who had decided he would rather watch the proceedings than continue to pretend to be asleep.

“Now, now, Severus,” said Professor Dumbledore, “I explained to you why this information was kept secret. No one except for me knew. Or, should I say, remembered. Now, I see many questions burning in your eyes. I will do my best to answer every one, but I will ask that you hold your questions until I am finished. I also ask that you not judge me too harshly.” At this he looked directly at Hermione. “And I pray you can forgive me for what I did once you know the whole story.”

Hastily, Hermione, Harry and Ron seated themselves in front of Professor McGonagall’s desk. Looking up at the painting of Professor Dumbledore, they waited expectantly for him to begin his story.
Chapter Endnotes: I know I have left you with another cliffhanger, but I promise, the wait will be worth it.