Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Who Am I? by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I would like to once again thank my wonderful betas, Harry_Rulz (Lexi), eleven49. I do not own any of the characters, places or things in this story. It belongs to J. K. Rowling. I only get to play in her world. For that, I am forever thankful.
As Professor Dumbledore sat back in his chair, Ron also sat down. He was still very angry, but his desire to have his questions answered overpowered the urge to rage and scream.

“I just don’t understand how you did it. How you could have made Hermione’s parents believe she was theirs? After all, Hermione’s birthday is before mine, and Harry’s isn’t until July. How could they be tricked into think that Hermione was months older than she was? I don’t know a lot about babies, but I do know that a newborn baby is a lot smaller than one who is about ten months old. It’s just not possible. No one could be fooled like that. No one.” Ron looked to Professor Dumbledore for some explanations.

“I will admit,” began Professor Dumbledore, “that changing Miss Granger’s date of birth so drastically caused a few problems, but none that could not be solved with a few well-placed Memory Charms. I had Hermione’s parents move to an isolated location before charming them to believe that the date was ten months before that which it was in actuality. I arranged,” he said with a slight cough, “for them to come into a fair amount of money so that they would not feel pressed to work or to in any way interact with anyone. When it was absolutely necessary for Mr. and Mrs. Granger to come in contact with someone, I used various spells to disguise myself as that person “ be it a grocer, maintenance worker, etcetera. Thankfully, being young, in love, and preoccupied with a newborn baby, they kept to themselves for the most part.

“They lived there until Hermione was about eighteen months old. At that time, I once again modified their memories to accustom them to the true date and Hermione’s ‘age’, and returned them to their lives. By this time, the ten-month difference in Hermione’s age and her adjusted birthday didn’t seem that big of an issue. Everyone who came in contact with the family just thought Hermione was a little small for her age.

“As you mentioned, I didn’t plan on telling you any of this. I didn’t believe anything useful could come from informing you three of my meddling in your lives, and in fact, I still believe that this revelation may do lasting damage. I am sorry that it has come to this, but I do not regret my decision for one second because it has kept you safe. My only regret is not telling you sooner, that for so long I was convinced that you three were better off not knowing the truth.” Dumbledore looked down at the three young adults sitting in front of him.

It seemed to Harry that Dumbledore was merely gathering his thoughts in preparation for further explanation. So when Professor Dumbledore addressed Professor McGonagall instead of him, Ron, and Hermione, Harry was surprised.

“Minerva, I have a feeling that Harry, Ron, and Hermione would like some time to digest and discuss this information. Perhaps you can have the house elves send their lunches up to in the Gryffindor common room, for I assume that there they would feel far more comfortable talking all this over.”

“Yes, Albus, right away.” Professor McGonagall turned to Harry, Ron, and Hermione. “As the school term has not yet started, there is not a password set to get into the common room. I shall escort you down there and inform the Fat Lady to she should admit you. You may return here when you feel up to it. Feel free to spend the night in your old dormitories if you so choose.” With this, Professor McGonagall stood and walked around her desk towards the door.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione stood as one and followed her out the door without so much as a glance back at the portrait of Professor Dumbledore.

As they walked through the deserted corridors of Hogwarts, they could not help but feel out of time. Just a few months earlier, these corridors had been the scene of a massive battle. Now they looked as pristine as they did during the six years the three had spent going to school here. The main difference between the school term and now was the silence. It was perfectly quiet. Not a sound could be heard except their footsteps. No one spoke, for each was lost in his or her own thoughts. So they were shocked to suddenly find themselves standing in front of the portrait of the Fat Lady.

“Headmistress, how may I help you?” asked the Fat Lady.

“Please allow these three into the common room. I know it is unusual but they are going to be here at least for today “ possibly through tomorrow. They are to have access to the Tower.”

“Yes, of course, Headmistress. Should I set a password, or should I just let them in when they want?”

“No password is necessary unless they decide they want one.” Professor McGonagall then looked at them. “Please feel free to set a password if you wish, but I doubt one is necessary as no besides myself, Filch, the ghosts, and Peeves, is in the castle. I will have lunch sent up for you, and I will be in my office when you decide to return.” With this, she turned and walked away.

The portrait of the Fat Lady swung open at once to admit them. They climbed through the portrait hole and walked into the familiar common room. Sitting down in front of the fireplace in their favourite chairs, they looked at each other, each at a loss for words.

Taking a deep breath, Harry said, “Hermione, I “”

But before he could go on, a table completely laden with food, pumpkin juice, plates, and utensils appeared before them.

“I don’t know about you two, but I’m starving,” Ron said as he stood up and loaded his plate with a bit of everything on the table.

Watching Ron as he helped himself to the food, Harry and Hermione started to laugh. Ron’s obsession with food was common knowledge among the three after having spent most of the past year on the run together. Still chuckling to himself, Harry stood and followed Ron’s example, and though food was the last thing on Hermione’s mind, she also stood and took some food. After all, there was plenty of time for them to talk about what they had just learned.

As the trio was finishing their lunch, a loud crack emanated from directly in front of them. There standing next to the now almost-empty table was Kreacher the house-elf. Harry had inherited him when his godfather Sirus was killed at the end of Harry’s fifth year at Hogwarts.

“Master Harry,” cried Kreacher excitedly, bowing deeply. “Kreacher heard you were here. Kreacher has come to see if there is anything you need. Kreacher was also wondering if you were planning on returning to Grimmauld Place soon. If Master pleases, Kreacher is anxious to be home.”

“Not just yet. There are a few things Ron, Hermione, and I need to take care of first,” Harry told Kreacher. Then glancing at the other two, he continued, “I’ll let you know when I am going back there. Until then, it’s best if you stay here.”

“Of course, Master. Kreacher will do as Master says,” Kreacher replied obediently, though he looked slightly less excited. He bowed again before snapping his fingers and disappearing with a loud crack.

Hermione stood up and wandered over to the windows overlooking the grounds of Hogwarts. After a moment or two, she spoke in a low voice. “Let’s go see Hagrid. He’s sitting outside with Grawp.”

“Okay,” both Ron and Harry replied at the same time. All three were still clueless as to how to breach the topic of what Dumbledore had just revealed, so a distraction was welcome.

As they walked through the castle, they saw no one. They went out the massive front doors and started down the path to Hagrid’s house. As they approached, Grawp looked up and spotted them.

“Hermy!” Grawp shouted.

“What are yeh talkin’ abou’, Grawpy?” Hagrid asked his brother. When Grawp raised one massive hand and gestured towards the castle, Hagrid turned his head.

“Hi Hagrid. Hi Grawp,” Harry called as they approached the pair.

“Harry, Ron, Hermione, wha’re yeh doing here?” Hagrid asked.

“We had to come to see Professor McGonagall,” Harry replied simply. He didn’t know how much Hermione wanted to tell Hagrid. Even though it involved him, he felt it best if Hermione led the way this time.

“C’mon an’ sit with us. We’re just sittin’ here enjoying the sunshine, weren’ we Grawp?” Hagrid looked over at Grawp, who was staring at Hermione.

“Hermy sad,” said Grawp simply. Hagrid noticed her sorrow then, too.

“Hermione, wha’ is it? Has somethin’ else happened? Has something happened to yer parents?” Hagrid asked, sounding genuinely concerned.

With this statement, Hermione eyes filled with tears. Grawp reached out his hand to her, but looking at Hagrid, he stopped short of touching her and drew back his hand.

“No, nothing has happened to them,” began Hermione, her voice choked from resisting the urge to cry. “At least not in the way you mean. Professor Dumbledore just told me, told us, that the Grangers aren’t my real parents.” As she blurted this out, a few tears escaped to run down Hermione’s cheeks. Ron moved closer to her and drew her into his arms. Turning her face into his chest, she released her already tenuous hold on her emotions and cried harder.

“Wha’re yeh talking about? Not yer parents? Now how could he say tha’?” Hagrid sounded outraged.

Harry glanced at Hermione. Knowing she could not explain, he told Hagrid what they had just learned. When he finished, Hagrid looked stunned.

“I don’ know wha’ to say. . . . I never knew. Well, from what yeh said, no one knew. But now I understand wha’ Dumbledore was talkin’ abou’ the night yer parents were killed, Harry. When he asked me ter go and get yeh, he said tha’ perhaps wha’ he did was a good thing. I found it ruddy strange at the time. . . . I didn’ understand. . . . He was referrin’ ter wha’ he did ter keep yeh safe, Hermione.

“Hermione,” Hagrid began again, “the Grangers are yer parents. They raised yeh, and it was ‘em tha’ loved yeh all these years. Yeh’re their daughter in ev’ry way. It doesn’ matter that yer mom didn’ give birth ter you. She loved yeh just the same. And I’m sure when yeh tell them, it won’ change anythin’. ‘Cept they’ll be grateful tha’ they were lucky enough ter be chosen ter raise yeh as their own.”

Hermione lifted her head and gave Hagrid a watery smile. “I just don’t know. I don’t know what to do. I don’t know if I should tell them, or let them continue to think that I’m their real “ well, biological daughter. Or maybe I should just leave my Memory Charm on them so they don’t think they have a daughter at all.

“But they do have a daughter, Hermione. You’re their daughter, and you need them and they need you,” Ron told her gently. “It wouldn’t be fair to any of you to not accept them as your parents one way or another.”

Standing suddenly, Hermione looked down at Harry and Ron. “Let’s go back up to the castle. I know what I want to do. At least, what I want to do right now.”

They said goodbye to Hagrid and Grawp then started towards the castle.
Chapter Endnotes: I am sorry for the long wait for this chapter. It took a while to get Hagrid's speech just right. I promise the next chapter won't take as long.