Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Honey by cassie123

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Here's the epilogue, folks. I really hope you enjoyed this story as much as I enjoyed writing it. Sorry if some of your questions remained unanswered, there's only so much I can do with my characters that are still alive!
One fiiiinal thanks goes out to Mavis! She's truly a wonderful beta and I'd recommend her to anyone.
Anyway, enjoy this short (but sweet - hopefully) epilogue!
The steel gates at the inside of Azkaban prison slid open independently, clanging loudly as they reached the maximum width for entry. The gates led to a long hallway that lay adjacent to several prison cells, most of which were currently vacated. I stepped through the gate without hesitation, not bothering to look back as it closed immediately behind me; it wasn’t as if I wasn’t used to it by now. Some might even call me a regular here at Azkaban, though I doubted that it was something I should be proud of.

Despite my many visits to these cells, it had been a while since my last. I walked hastily down the hallway, not allowing my eyes to wander into the cells that had occupants. It’s not that I was afraid of the prisoners; I simply had a goal in mind.

Once I had reached the cell door nearest to the end of the hallway, I pulled out my wand that was hidden within my coat. I swiftly pushed the wand into a small hole in the door, and it sprang back out after a small click. The door swung open before I had time to return my wand to my pocket, and I stepped inside.

I was met with a pair of large, round eyes that lit up the moment I had entered the room. ‘Miss Hermione!’ Honey the house-elf squeaked in excitement. ‘It’s good to see you.’

I grinned broadly. ‘Great to see you, Honey.’ I took a seat on the small bed next to her. ‘Sorry I haven’t come to visit in a while, things have been really busy at home; wedding planning is rather draining.’

I continued to smile as Honey nearly jumped in enthusiasm. ‘Tell me Miss, how was the ceremony?’

‘It was beautiful, Honey,’ I said, reaching again into my coat. ‘I’ve brought you some pictures.’

Together Honey and I flicked through photographs of Hugo’s wedding. The bride and groom waved happily at us, the camera only half capturing their radiance. It had probably been the first day Hugo had worn proper dress robes, at any other occasion he would have refused. But Louise and I had insisted, and it seemed that he was willing to do anything to make her happy.

‘Everyone looks very happy,’ Honey said serenely. ‘Master Alistair would have loved to have been there.’

I glanced down at her, feeling a sudden rush of sadness. It had been over two years since Alistair Cross had died, and I knew that not a day went by in this cell without thoughts of him.

‘Hugo said exactly the same thing,’ I informed her.

She let out a small sigh and placed the photos down on the bed carefully.

‘One month, Honey,’ I said in attempt to lighten the atmosphere. ‘One month and you’re free.’

Honey nodded. Over the last two years, Honey had aged dramatically. I knew things could have been worse – she could have had to live side-by-side with Dementors her entire sentence – but she seemed to have lost most of her innocence. I supposed a murder trial would do that to you.

‘I have something else for you, too,’ I said, trying to sound enthusiastic.

Honey watched warily as I pulled a folded piece of parchment from my pocket. I unfolded it and smoothed it out on the bed, and then placed it in Honey’s outstretched hands. The paper had a ripped edge from where I had torn it from a magazine, knowing Honey would be very pleased to see it.

She stared, slightly shocked, at the article. The title that spread across the page read: First House Owned by House-Elf. Honey could read it quite easily now as I’d organised for her to learn – there wasn’t much to do in Azkaban but, well, read.

Eventually, after completing the article, Honey looked up at me. Her expression was nearly unreadable; I noticed a sense of happiness, but at the same time – guilt.

Alistair Cross’ will – terrifying as it was that a nineteen year old had created a will – consisted of one detail. He requested that everything be left to his house-elf, who had been more of a family to him than those who were supposed to be.

I smiled at Honey. ‘Even after two years, you’re still making the papers.’

It was indeed true that Honey had made headlines this week after it was let slip that Honey was now the owner of Alistair’s home. However most newspapers, The Daily Prophet included, had decided to use this against her. Honey was now said to have planned this from the start, that murder was her way of gaining the house. The article I had shown Honey today was one of few that supported her, torn from none other than The Quibbler.

Honey remained quiet; I supposed she was too modest to comment.

‘How do you feel about that though, Honey?’ I asked. ‘About returning to that house?’

I didn’t want to assume that she was excited to go home, because it was, after all, the place the most tragic incident of her life had occurred.

‘A bit nervous,’ Honey admitted, looking at her knees. ‘I have never lived alone before, and it’s a big home.’

I nodded, not really knowing how to help. I could hardly suggest that Honey work for someone else, because I would hate to see her become the servant again. ‘I won’t let you get lonely, you know. It’ll be impossible to escape my presence.’

She smiled slightly. ‘Thanks, Hermione,’ she said quietly. ‘I have been thinking, though. I have no other skills besides cooking and cleaning –’

‘And reading,’ I interrupted, grinning.

‘Yes, and reading,’ she agreed. ‘Because of this, I think I might start to work again. But not for free’ – she glanced up at me – ‘I want to be paid.’

I softened my expression and nodded. ‘That sounds like a great idea, Honey.’

She looked rather elated at my praise, perhaps she had been worried I’d warn her not to start work again. But I knew that this was the best option for her; she needed to keep busy, and most of all, she deserved the company.

‘And maybe,’ I began hesitantly, ‘you could even take a job at our place. You know, once a week, fully paid.’

I watched as Honey began to chuckle, feeling slightly surprised as laughter wasn’t often heard in this cell. I stared at her questioningly. ‘I remember one day,’ she said between giggles, ‘you said you would never have hired help. You said that you couldn’t imagine not being able to look after your own home.’

I felt myself start to grin again, remembering this clearly. Of course Honey was not the first person I’d expressed this sort of thing to, and I really didn’t like the idea of hiring someone to clean my house.

‘You need the work,’ I explained. ‘And I’m only working part-time, which means I’ll be cooking a lot more... and, well, you know I’m completely rubbish at cleaning.’

She giggled for a few more moments, and I joined in, glad to have lightened the mood.

‘Mister Ron won’t mind?’ Honey asked after her laughter had subsided.

‘Oh, believe me, he’ll be over the moon,’ I said. ‘He’s secretly wanted a house-elf for years! Not that you’re to be considered our house-elf, of course. You’re simply an individual offering your expertise cleaning services.’

We beamed at each other. Who knew that, two years ago, in assigning myself to Honey’s murder case I would be earning myself a lifelong friend. I’d spent my life trying to bring house-elves up to the same level as wizards and witches, but I myself never thought to bring them into my life as an equal, as a friend.

I had forced myself into Honey the house-elf’s life, not really knowing what it would bring to mine. I knew that even with a manslaughter charge under her belt, Honey could become the major change in the lives of all house-elves. She’d gained the awareness of many influential Ministry members, and now all house-elves were being informed of their rights; that they do have the right to say no.

I’d worked incredibly hard when it came to house-elves, yet I’d never felt complete in my work and the level I had reached. Something had always been missing; there had always been something I’d yet to achieve. It never occurred to me that there was someone else out there who could allow me to reach my full potential, to fill up that empty space.

Especially not a house-elf named Honey.
Chapter Endnotes: The end! You all know that I love reviews :D