Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Exército de Leoa by Kristen Floss

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thank you to Rhi for HP for taking over from Lyra, and being the queen of Briticisms!
“It’s the spirit of a talking lion trapped in the body of a snake.”

“It’s an enchantress; she kisses people before she kills them.”

“You-Know-Who is behind it”he never really died.”

“Well, I heard there is no leader. They all work together to kill wizards.”

“They want to rid the world of Muggle-borns, but they don’t care about Muggles.”

“Len told me it’s a band of Muggles who want to overthrow the Wizards.”

“It’s a bunch of dragons, I swear it! They can set people on fire with one glance from their eyes!”

“That’s a Basilisk, you fool! It’s Harry Potter! He’s cracked and gone evil!”

“This is useless!” I moaned. “We’re not getting anywhere! All we’re doing is helping a bunch of hysterical gossips spread rumours.”

That night, we had gone straight to Knockturn Alley. It was a dirty area, made solely of derelict buildings and overflowing sewers, and it had been removed from all respectable maps for at least two decades. Through the diseased alley, the vermin ran, knowing that the occupants of the place were not any better than them. No laws existed; no Aurors checked the streets; no wizards materialised from the empty fireplaces. Even the owls that flew backward and forward across the dirty grey sky, carrying mail avoided flying too close. Knockturn Alley had long been in a sordid state of disrepair, and that was where we were bound; for when you squeezed through the rusty iron gate that separated the place from the warmth of Diagon Alley, you might have well have vanished into thin air.

We walked in a tight-knit group, jumping as brown paper bags bumped against the rats, making them squeal and scurry into the distance. Boarded up windows were on both sides of the street, staring down at us grimly and reminding us that anyone could be behind them, waiting to attack. On the wind was carried the fumes of Muggle factories and vehicles, making me gag slightly. At a first glance, the place appeared empty, but when I looked closely, I could sense rather than see people in the shadows.

We had split up into two groups after a quick sleep: Scorpius and I, and Astoria and Draco. All day we had been singling out criminals or vagrants and demanding information about the Exército de Leoa. The name seemed to be taboo; they were known simply as “them”. Most people had been too frightened to talk, but the people who had were not helpful either. I had become more and more frustrated, and Scorpius had become quiet, like he usually did when irritated.

After four hours, we met up with Draco and Astoria in the dilapidated building that had once been Borgin and Burke’s. The looks on their faces told us they hadn’t had any luck either.

“We haven’t heard anything realistic!” whined Astoria. “Everyone has a different opinion.”

“You know why that is, don’t you?” I said bitterly. “If no one knows who you are, you don’t get arch enemies, or rebellions. Nobody can pin the blame on one person, and everyone is scared because they don’t know what’s going on. Whoever it is knows exactly what they’re doing.”

“I know!” snapped Draco. He looked around at the bare grey walls. “I’m hungry.”

“I’ll get some food,” I said, suddenly noticing the dull ache in my abdomen.

“I’ll come with you,” said Scorpius immediately.

I shook my head, smiling regretfully. “They’ll be looking for couples. If I go on my own, we’re less likely to get caught.”

“Make sure you’re back in an hour,” said Astoria, “or we’re coming after you.”

I kissed Scorpius goodbye and then set off into the dark streets. It was the middle of the night, and the blackness pressed against my eyeballs. It was also extremely cold, my satin cloak helping little against the harsh wind. Everything was eerily silent, and I quickly became uneasy. I rushed to the rusty gate that separated this street from Diagon Alley and felt relieved once I was through. All was empty apart from two cloaked wizards who stood talking softly outside Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes.

I kept my head down as I walked towards the Leaky Cauldron. The wizards began strolling quietly towards me. Their walks seemed to have no purpose, so I ignored them, but quickened my pace.

“Hello, Lyra,” said the first wizard, falling into step with me.

“I’m not Lyra,” I said, feeling as though I’d swallowed a block of ice.

“Yes, you are,” said the second wizard. “’Small, pretty dark girl, expensive clothes’. You certainly fit those criteria.”

“There are loads of girls like that,” I said stiffly. “I assure you, I’m not your friend”or whoever she is.”

“It would be better for you if you came with us,” said the first, ignoring my words.

“Why?” I asked. A little voice inside of me was screaming, keep them talking, keep them talking!

In reply, the second wizard pointed his wand at a passing cat. A flash of green light shortly illuminated the dark alley, and then the cat lay dead in the gutter. “That’s why.”

“Where will you take me?” I demanded, horrified at what I had seen.

“To our leader,” said the first wizard. “She’s very interested in you and your husband. After all, the last person who jail-broke Azkaban was a very powerful wizard. Compared to him, you two are mere children.”

“Who is your leader?” I asked, gently this time. I spoke that way to men when I wanted something, and it usually worked.

“I don’t know her name,” he admitted sheepishly. He glanced at his partner. “Nobody does. All I know is that she has other plans for you”not Azkaban”and she wants you alive. For now.”

The “for now” sliced through me like a knife. “I’m not Lyra. Won’t you get into trouble if you bring her the wrong girl?” Every fibre of my body seemed to be yelling at me to keep talking and then get away as soon as possible.

However, neither of them answered. The first wizard sank silently to the floor, as though Stunned. I looked around, my heart beating wildly, but the alley was still completely empty. The second wizard grabbed me by my throat.

“What did you do?” he roared, his rank breath blowing onto my face.

I flinched from both disgust and terror. “I didn’t do anything!”

His hand tightened. “Like I”“

He fell to the floor, and brought me with him. Shaking, I managed to pry his hands from my throat, stumbled backward, and fell into the arms of someone else.

I jumped and span round. A middle-aged witch with bushy brown hair and brown eyes stood behind me, watching me closely.

“I’m Hermione Weasley,” she said. “Come on, we’ve got to get away from here.”

She sprinted in the opposite direction, and I followed. My heart pounded against my ribs and my throat burned, but I kept running. Eventually we were back in Knockturn Alley, and Hermione was holding out a bag of sandwiches. I attacked the top one, and then looked up at her.

“So you’re the famous Lyra Zabini,” she said softly.

“Malfoy,” I corrected. “I’m married now.” I paused. “How do you know who I am?”

“Well, I heard them calling you Lyra, and you look exactly how Rose described you. I have to admit, I’m disappointed. I thought you would have more sense than to walk down Diagon Alley in your position without a disguise.”

“Rose?” I sniffed disdainfully. “Rose Weasley?”

Rose had been at Hogwarts with me. She was extremely annoying and had liked Scorpius”a lot. In fact, when I first started liking Scorpius, Rose was his girlfriend. Unfortunately, we had not been friends.

“I’m her mother,” said Hermione.

“Oh!” I gasped. “Err, how is she?”

“She’s fine.” Her eyes flashed. “So, do you want to tell me what that was about, then?”
Chapter Endnotes: I love reviews :)