Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Different Light by jzoolander

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

This is my first story. I feel that there was more to the Malfoys then we got to see. I want to make this as accurate as possible. Any comment or review would be helpful in forming this story. Remember, we all have a story to tell.
Chapter Notes: This is my very first chapter. YEAH! Anyway, I think all you need to know is that the time period is between books 5 and 6. Please enjoy and leave a review when you finish. Thank you.
Narcissa sat on the edge of her bed. Tears flowed down her soft, pale cheek. Her mind was wandering back to a little over a week ago when she and her sister were called to an audience with the Dark Lord. It was then that he had given her the dreadful news about the plan. This was only made worse by her sister reacting almost joyously and saying, “How happy he’ll be to receive such an honor.” It all had made her want to burst into tears. But what burned in her mind was the look on the Dark Lord’s face as he said to her, “This is to be discussed with no one. Heed my command.”

She needed something to distract her mind. She walked across the master bedroom to her personal library. Her finger scanned the many different colored bindings. She stopped in front of a large green book with Precious Memories printed in gold lettering on the side. She pulled out her favorite album and carried it with her to the edge of her bed once again. It had the look of wear on it from the continuous use it had been recently receiving. It had almost become a nighttime ritual for Narcissa to look at the pictures of her past.

Her tender, pallid hand turned to the middle of the old scrapbook. A young girl in a bright white wedding dress stood smiling at her. She often twirled, showing how the dress showed off her very slim figure. Narcissa could never forget the joy she felt on that special day. Her pale blonde hair flew elegantly and freely in the air. Her eyes moved to the next picture of a young man. Tall, handsome, and well-built, Lucius continued to fuss with his expensive black and green dress robes. He even wore a Slytherin badge which Narcissa thought was silly, but young Lucius’s pride was hard to stop.

In the next photo, the happy bride continually hugged and kissed her groom. He, in return, just smiled”simple, yet bright. It was one of the most satisfying smiles Narcissa had ever seen in her life, considering her husband wasn’t one to smile often. She wasn’t sure if she would ever be able to see him like that again”joyful, young, carefree. Too many years of power, greed, and service had turned Lucius’s heart cold. He was secretive and sometimes unfeeling. It seemed like he had detached himself from the world and everyone around him, even those he loved.

Her hand reached to turn the page, but she hesitated. She didn’t know if she could handle it. The next section of the scrapbook was her favorite: Draco’s childhood. How she loved her only son. It seemed as if she was the only one who knew how lucky she was to even have him. She couldn’t stand to give away her only child to them.

She took a deep breath as her hand turned the page. Tears began to flow rapidly down her cheek as she saw herself exhausted lying in a hospital bed and smiling as she held her newborn son. Even exhausted, Narcissa had the biggest smile as she held the precious newborn.
They couldn’t take her son away from her now. They never loved him like she did. They never cared for him or comforted him when he was frightened. She had worked so hard to have Draco and now they were going to put his life on the line.

The Dark Lord himself had never accomplished it and now he expected a teenager to finish it for him? Narcissa knew his ulterior motives. She needed to ask for help. But from who? If only her husband was with her. He was always so calm and practical. He always knew precisely what to do.

Narcissa looked back down at the book in front of her, and her eyes led her to a very different picture. Lucius was smiling and talking to his companion who was holding Draco. But Narcissa’s focus was not on her son or her husband but on the man beside Lucius.

Even as a young adult Severus Snape’s hair was long, black, and slightly greasy. His long black robes almost clashed with Lucius’s exquisite silver and emerald ones. His eyes stayed solely on the small child in his arms. Gleaming in Severus’s eye was a sense of wonder and care. Narcissa had known that Severus had wanted a child of his own, but never knew why he was so obstinate towards finding the girl for him. After all he had been young back then. Instead, he found a fondness for the Malfoys’ son.

Then the idea occurred to her. Why had she not thought of it before? Lucius trusted Severus with his own life. Narcissa knew she could trust anybody her own husband held so highly. And not only that, but Severus was the Dark Lord’s most trusted advisor. He would be able to answer some of her burning questions and possibly help her son.

She stood ready to leave but that cold voice echoed in her head.

“This is to be discussed with no one. Heed my command.”

She needed advice desperately. Though she wasn’t fond of it, she had to see her sister first. As Narcissa closed the album and put it back on the shelf, she had a feeling that it would be a long night.
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks for reading. Please leave a review. Also, if you enjoyed this, please read Chapter Two: The Ceremony