Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Unknown Heir by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I wish to thank my beta for this chapter, Azhure. Thank you for understanding my way of writing.

I do not own anything you may recognize in this story. That honour belongs to J. K. Rowling. I am just thankful to be able to play in her world for a while.
“Harry, that kid is standing outside again.” Ron’s voice carried across the room to where Harry was trying to stuff all his papers into a battered briefcase that Mr Weasley had loaned him. He thought to himself that he really should replace this briefcase.

“Why didn’t I have Hermione show me how to do that charm she did on her purse to make it hold so much?” Harry voice sounded frustrated.

“Harry, did you hear what I said?” Ron asked.

“What? Oh, yeah, I heard you. So, what? I’m sure he isn’t a Death Eater, Ron. He’s probably just lost, or waiting for someone.” Harry gave up and shoved the remaining papers into the inside pockets of his robes. “We have to get going; we should have been at the Ministry ten minutes ago. If you are so worried, we’ll Apparate from the top step. No one will see us leave.” Harry stood and walked towards the door.

“I’m telling you, there is something wrong with that kid,” Ron stated as he followed Harry into the hall.

Opening the front door of number twelve Grimmauld Place, Harry and Ron stood side-by-side on the top step. Both turned on the spot and Disapparated.

As soon as the young man heard the distinctive crack of someone Apparating in the vicinity, he knew spending anymore time watching for the inhabitants of the house was useless for now. He too then turned on the spot and vanished.

***

Having finished their meeting with the Minister of Magic Kingsley Shacklebolt, Harry and Ron decided to visit George at his shop on Diagon Alley. As they walked into the Leaky Cauldron, they were both greeted by Tom, the owner.

“Mr Potter, Mr Weasley, how good to see you again. Can I get you anything?” Tom smiled at both of them.

“Not now, Tom. Right now, we’re going to see George. We’ll stop back later for that drink.” Harry smiled back at Tom apologetically. It did not matter how many times he told Tom to call him Harry, he still insisted on calling him Mr Potter.

Walking out the backdoor, Harry drew his wand and tapped the proper bricks to open the gateway to Diagon Alley.

Neither Harry nor Ron noticed the dark-haired young man watching them intently from his seat by the window. Deciding to give them a minute to get through the doorway to Diagon Alley before he followed, Skylar finished his drink.

As Harry and Ron stepped through the archway, they joined the crowds that were bustling up and down the street. Harry was reminded of the first time he ventured here accompanied by Hagrid. There were almost as many people shopping today as there were on that day.

Gone were the stalls selling the fake protective items that had lined the streets a few years ago. Most of the stores that had been closed during Voldemort’s last reign of terror were open again and from the looks of the crowds, flourishing.

Harry was pleased to see Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlour was open again. The sign in the window said it was being run by Florean’s daughter, Francesca. Even Ollivander’s was once again open.

Even with all the shops open again, George’s store was still the most eye-catching. There were still brightly coloured posters in the windows. Though the poster for U-No-Poo was gone, the ones that took its place were just as fascinating.

When Ron opened the door, there wasn’t the usual bell sound, instead there was a shriek of laughter.

“Some doorbell, huh?” Ron said smiling.

“Ron, Harry, what are you guys doing here?” Lee Jordan asked them.

“We had a meeting at the Ministry so we thought we would stop by and see George,” Harry answered.

“He’s upstairs.” Lee looked around before he continued, his voice dropping to almost a whisper. “He isn’t alone up there. He is having lunch with Angelina.” Lee smiled.

“Angelina Johnson? Fred’s girlfriend?” Ron voice showed his surprise.

“Yep, that’s the one. She started coming in a couple weeks ago, and they have been having lunch together every couple days. I think she is good for him. He seems more himself when she is around.” Lee explained.

At that moment, George came down the stairs and into the shop. “Ron! Harry! What are you two doing here? Come to spend some of your hard-earned money?” George laughed.

“Naw, just stopped by to see you. And to tell you Mum is planning a birthday party for Fleur and she wants you to be there,” Ron answered. “You can bring Angelina; I’m sure Mum wouldn’t mind.” At George’s look of panic, Ron and Harry burst out laughing.

“I…She…We…” George’s face turned bright red as he struggled to speak. The result was more laughter from Ron and Harry.

“Well, I’ll ask her.” George said finally. “Come on, let me show you the newest things we have. It wouldn’t hurt you to spend some money in here, you know.”

Over the next half hour, George showed them all the new things he and Lee were carrying. Both Harry and Ron couldn’t resist buying some of it. When they were ready to leave, George, smiling, told them he would be at Fleur’s party.

*****

Skylar watched as both men went into the store called Weasley Wizarding Wheezes. Standing back as not to be seen, he waited until he saw them approach the door to leave. He then made his way quickly back to the Leaky Cauldron; he wanted a good seat to watch them when they arrived back there.

*****

“Harry, I know I saw that kid watching the store while we were in there,” Ron stated emphatically. “Look, there he is up ahead of us. Let’s see where he is going.” Ron’s pace quickened to keep the stranger in sight.

Sighing, Harry hurried to keep up with Ron. Seeing the young man go through the archway to the Leaky Cauldron, Harry got the feeling maybe Ron was right. It did seem as if there was something going on with that kid.

As soon as they entered the main room of the Leaky Cauldron, they spotted the young man sitting at one of the corner tables. Going up to the bar, Harry decided to ask Tom about him.

“Tom, that boy in the corner, what do you know about him?” Harry asked Tom as he served their Firewhisky.

“He is a wizard from America. Got a funny name, let me think… Sawyer? Sebastian? No, Skylar, that’s it. Skylar. He is staying upstairs. Says his mum was from around here, but moved to America before he was born.” Tom smiled at them before he hurried down to the other end of the bar to serve someone else.

“Harry, he is staring at us. He hasn’t taken his eyes off us since we came in.” Ron’s voice sounded aggravated.

Harry stood suddenly and walked over to the young man. Ron scrambled to follow.

“Hi, my name is Harry, Harry Potter. Is there something I can help you with? Are you looking for someone?” Harry tried to sound pleasant, but he wasn’t sure he was able to.

“Actually, I am looking for you. I have a few questions for you about my father. I have been told you were with him when….” Skylar paused briefly, “he died.”

Harry stared at the boy. His mind was going crazy trying to figure out who this boy’s father could be. He looked achingly familiar but Harry couldn’t quite place him.

Skylar’s hair was shoulder length and dark brown, but it was his eyes that made Harry pause. His eyes were grey; the same exact shade of grey as… Sirius’s. Harry’s mind exploded with the possibilities. Sitting down across from the boy, Harry took a few deep breaths before he started asking questions.

“First off, what’s your name? Who is your father?” Even to himself, Harry’s voice sounded angry.

Ron looked down at Harry in surprise. He didn’t understand where the anger in Harry was coming from. He decided it might be a good idea to sit next to Harry in case things got out of hand.

“My name is Skylar, Skylar Black. My father was Sirius Black.” Skylar knew these words would be met with shock and disbelief. After all, the only two people who knew of his parent’s marriage were this man’s dead parents. Skylar was prepared for the questions he knew were coming.

“I think we should take this conversation somewhere private. I have a room upstairs if you would like to go up there.”

“Yeah, I agree this is not something we should discuss here. Let’s go upstairs.”
Harry stood up and followed Skylar up the stairs.

The three of them proceeded upstairs to Skylar’s room. Harry didn’t know what he had been expecting, but he knew he did not expect this stranger to tell him he was the son of his godfather. A son, who no one knew about. This had to be a mistake or some sort of joke or scam. Harry knew he would not believe this man without definitive proof, maybe not even then.

As they walked up the stairs, Ron whispered to Harry, “Harry, I don’t think this is a good idea. What if it’s a trap?”

“Ron, I don’t think this is a trap, but if it makes you feel better, keep your wand in your hand,” Harry hurriedly whispered back.

“It’s already in my hand.” Ron moved his hand out from the folds of his robes to show Harry.

*****

Skylar could hear exactly what was being said behind him. He expected no less. Since arriving in London a week ago, he had learned quite a bit about one Harry Potter and what he had gone through in his youth.

However, it was his father’s life he was concerned with. What facts he could find out were mostly from old copies of the Daily Prophet. These stories were obviously not flattering.

Skylar’s mother had told him what his father had been accused of, but she had also told him he was innocent. Reading through the stories, he wondered if the truth was somewhere in the middle of the two sides of facts he knew.

*****

As they reached the top of the steps, Harry noted that Skylar was opening the door to the same room he had stayed in when he had run away from Privet Drive when he was thirteen.

Upon entering the room, the first thing Harry noticed was the stack of old Daily Prophets lying on the dresser. Walking over, he lifted the top one. The picture on the front was of Sirius from when he escaped from Azkaban. He turned with the paper in his hand and looked at Skylar.

Looking Harry directly in the eyes, Skylar said simply, “I want to know the truth.”