Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Unknown Heir by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I wish to thank my beta and friend, Alyssa (harry4lif).

I have a new one-shot based on Abby's death. It is called, A Broken Heart Stops.

Anything you recognise belongs to J.K. Rowling. I am thankful to her to be able to play in her world for a while.
“If you want the truth, then you’ll have to answer a few questions first.” Harry turned and replaced the paper on the large pile.

“I can and will answer all of your questions, at least as much as I can with the limited knowledge I have. But first, tell me one thing…” Skylar paused and Harry could tell he was struggling over what he was about to say. “My mother always told me my dad was this wonderful, brave man. Was he?”

Harry looked at the young man standing before him. He knew what it felt like to want to know everything about a parent you had never known. Though Harry wasn’t sure if he believed Skylar’s story, he felt a strange kinship to him.

Answering truthfully, Harry said, “Yeah, he was a very brave man.” Deciding it may be best to hear the explanation before dismissing the claims made by Skylar, Harry continued, “I don’t understand how you could be Sirius’s son. Sirius had no children.”

Harry could tell Skylar was trying not to let his bitterness show in his tone when he said, “He never knew about me. My parents were married in secret almost eighteen years ago. Your parents were the only ones other than the wizard who performed the ceremony who knew they had been married.”

Ron jumped on this fact. “Isn’t that convenient? No one knew. So no proof, right? Makes it easy for you to claim to be Sirius’s son, doesn’t it?”

“Ron, all marriages, even those performed in secret are automatically recorded at the Ministry of Magic. I’m sure if we asked Kingsley, he would let us examine the records from that time and prove one way or another if this is the truth.” Harry wondered if Skylar knew this fact, and his next words confirmed he didn’t.

“I didn’t know there were records like that.” Skylar stopped speaking at Ron’s snort. Glancing over at Ron, he continued, “Then the record of their marriage will be there. That will at least prove to you they were married.”

“What’s the date they were married on?” asked Harry.

“October thirteenth, 1980. I remember my mom telling me it was a full moon that night. She never did explain why that made a difference or why that was so important.”

Harry and Ron looked at each other. Harry could tell by the look on his face that Ron knew the reason the full moon would have been important, just as he did. It was a way to make sure Remus was not there. Harry remembered the night in the Shrieking Shack when both Sirius and Remus confessed to not trusting each other. Both had thought the other was the traitor.

“Why didn’t your mother come with you? Or is she here and just in a different room?” Harry asked.

Skylar didn’t answer right away. Finally after drawing a deep breath, he said, “My mother died a week after my father. She received a letter from someone named Albus telling her he was dead.”

“I’m sorry,” Harry said sincerely. Though Harry was an orphan also, he knew it was much harder for this boy than it was for him. Skylar had years with his mother to know her and to form a bond.

“I have all the letters my mom received. A few from Sirius, two from that Albus person, several from a friend of my mom’s named Sarah, and…” Skylar paused, “your mom, Harry. There are three from her.”

Harry’s face showed shock. There were letters from his mum? His mind raced as he thought about the only letter he had read that his mum had wrote to Sirius. He wanted to read these letters, but something held him back. Yes, he wanted to read them, but he didn’t want to read them with Skylar watching him.

“I know you want to read the letters. I’ll give them to you to read. I think, however, you should read them in order. I understand you want to read those from your mom first, but this whole thing will make more sense if you read them in the order they were written.”

Skylar looked at Harry before continuing, “I wish there was a way you could read the letters my mom wrote, but it’s obvious they have either been lost or destroyed. If they were around, then you would have known about me.” Skylar walked over to the dresser and opened the top drawer. He drew out a stack of letters tied with ribbon.

Harry looked at the letters. His urge was to run over and grab the stack and find the letters written by his mother, but he knew that he had to show patience.

Harry watched as Skylar looked down at the letters. He could see the indecision on his face. Harry could also see the hesitation there. Harry figured Skylar was probably regretting being so open and offering these letters so quickly. Harry saw him take a deep breath before he walked over and without a word, handed Harry the pack of letters.

Having received several letters from Sirius during his fifth year at Hogwarts, Harry immediately recognized his godfather’s handwriting. He knew now why besides the indecision and hesitation he saw in Skylar’s face, why he saw pain.

Harry sat down on the edge of the bed and untied the ribbon holding the letters together. Setting the pile next to him, he opened the first one.

My dearest Abby,

I hope you get this letter. I don’t know about this Muggle post, it seems very strange and untrustworthy to me.

Everyone’s fine here. I won’t lie to you and tell you things are always fine, but for now, the people we love are. I promised myself I wouldn’t tell you anything that would make you worry more or upset you, but you know I’ll never lie to you. I know you’ll worry no matter what I say, so I’ll tell you.

James and Lily are in increasing danger. There is a spy among us. You know who I suspect but the truth is, I don’t want to believe that of him. James, of course, is adamant that Remus is not a spy. He trusts too easily.

The plan of keeping them in hiding to protect them doesn’t seem as if it will be enough. We may have to resort to more desperate measures. I suggested they leave the country as I had you do, but neither of them will listen. The only thing I can think of that may work is using the
Fidelius Charm. I have a meeting with Dumbledore tomorrow to discuss this plan.

I don’t want you to worry or Merlin forbid, do something foolish like decide to come back here. I miss you more than I could ever tell you, but knowing you are safe is what keeps me going.

I gave Lily your address and she said she would write to you. She said to use Bathilda’s address to write to her, as it isn’t safe for her to receive mail. She’s writing to you to give you the address.

I must go, love. Know that my heart is with you. I love you, Mrs Black. Smile when you think of me. I know I smile when I think of you, and I think of you often. James even commented on the fact that I often look like I may have escaped from one of the closed wards at St. Mungos. I, of course, responded with a hex that made Lily none to happy the next day. Before you ask, yes, I reversed it. I had no choice with Lily threatening to charm something very vital to me off. You have to love that woman.

I’m hoping this will all be over soon and I can come and bring you home. Please, stay there until I come for you. Remember what I told you about someone else coming there. If I send someone, then that someone will know the secret phrase to tell you. If they don’t, don’t trust them, no matter who it is.

Love always,
Sirius


Harry looked up from the letter at Skylar. This letter looked as if it was written by Sirius. However, Harry knew there were magical means to copy someone’s handwriting. The one thing that made Harry believe this was really written by Sirius was the reference to not trusting Remus. Other than Ron and Hermione, the only people who had heard the confession of suspicion between Sirius and Remus were dead.

Harry handed the letter to Ron to read before speaking.

“This letter could have been written by anyone. What proof do you have it was written by Sirius?” Harry questioned, though he believed the letter to be true.

“Why would I do something like fake letters from my father? How would I fake them when I never even had the chance to know him?” Skylar was getting upset.

“Oh, I don’t know...perhaps to get your hands on the Black fortune?” Ron asked sarcastically.

“Money?” Skylar asked incredulously. “I have no need of money. My mother was very rich. I have all the money I could ever need.” Skylar’s voice rang with his anger. “I only came here to find out the truth about my father. Knowing how much my mother loved him, I wonder at her perception of him. I just want to know what he was really like and the truth about his life and death.” Skylar paced around the room as he spoke.

Harry reached for the next letter, only to notice the writing on the envelope was that of his mother. As he started to pull the letter out of the envelope, he noticed Skylar watching him intently.

His hand hesitated, his fingers touching the cool parchment inside. He gently removed his fingers and turning the envelope over, traced his mother’s handwriting gently. Glancing briefly back at Skylar, he reached out to take the letter back from Ron who had put it back into the envelope. He picked up the stack of letters from the bed then retied the stack. He nodded to Ron, and both of them stood up.

“I’m going to take these with me and read through them all. I’m also going to talk to Minister Shacklebolt about those records. I will be in touch in a few days. Are you planning on staying here?” Harry questioned.

“Yes. I’ll be here for as long as it takes. My instinct is to not let you take those letters, but I trust you will keep them safe and return them to me in the same condition they are in now.” Skylar looked pointedly at Harry. Harry understood by his words, Skylar was warning him not to let anything happen to the letters.

“I’ll take care of them, I promise.” Harry knew what these letters meant to the boy. The letter he found from his mother at Grimmauld Place held a very special place in his heart. “As I said, I'll be in touch in a few days.”

Harry and Ron walked to the door. Glancing back, Harry nodded to Skylar before he and Ron walked out.

On the landing, Harry asked simply, “Grimmauld Place?” At Ron’s nod, they both Disapparated home.
Chapter Endnotes: Please check out the companion one-shot for this chapter. It is titled, A Broken Heart Stops.