Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Apparently Asleep by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Sirius has escaped. Remus is back. Tonks is ecstatic. But has her belief in her cousin blinded her to the facts?

Many thanks to Afifa who I have press-ganged into the cause of my good ship beta!

***
It took her, Merlin knew how long, to speak. The words Remus uttered landed on her like a blow to her chest as she struggled to breathe. She tried to stand up, but her legs crumpled. Remus pulled her back down to the ground.

“He’s free,” she said at last, her mind whirring.

“He’s not free, Tonks,” corrected Remus. “He’s on the run. He’s escaped and every Hit Wizard and Auror in the land is looking for him.”

The word ‘Auror’ reverberated through her head. She was an Auror; she would be told to find him, and maybe bring him back to Azkaban. She smiled slightly. Well, let her be the one to find him. She could help.

“Tonks!” Remus sounded worried. “Don’t even think about it.”

“Think what?” she asked, beaming up at him.

“It’s as clear as if I’d studied Legilimency, you cannot go after him. That would be crazy.”

She tilted her head to one side. “Me do something crazy? I’m not at school now, Remus.”

Remus snorted. “I haven’t forgotten the dragon cage, Tonks.” He stood up and reached out his hand to her. Tonks accepted it and they walked to where she’d set up her tent, their fingertips still touching.

Tonks waved her wand and haphazardly packed up her belongings. “Will you come back with me and see my parents? They’ll need to hear the news and I’d rather it was from you than some jumped-up Ministry official intent on wrecking the house as they search for Sirius.”

Remus smiled. “I’ve already been invited. Your nan was insistent that I stay for tea. Before I left, she got me to light the oven.”

Tonks laughed. “She’s probably making a cake right now.”

***


“Nan!” called Tonks from the back door. “We’re back.” She turned to Remus. “Why don’t you sit outside and I’ll bring you a drink?”

Remus pulled up a rickety-looking seat and sat outside by a small garden table. As Tonks walked inside, she looked back and saw him tilt his face to the sun. Despite his obvious tension, he seemed to relax a touch in the warm summer’s day. She walked into the kitchen. “Nice smell, Nan. Are you baking?”

“Dora!” exclaimed Shirley. “I knew your young man would bring you back.” She was in the middle of turning out a sponge cake from the tin, her face flushed from the heat of the oven.

Tonks blushed. “He’s not my young man. He’s a friend.”

“Don’t give me that, dearie. I recognised him from that photograph as soon as he walked through the door.”

“Nan, if you start matchmaking, I’ll ... I’ll ...” Tonks spluttered.

“You’ll what, Dora, blush very prettily.” She grinned at her granddaughter. “Don’t worry, ducks, I won’t embarrass you. Now, let me finish my cake and I’ll bring you both a slice in a while.”

Tonks opened the chill-charmed cupboard and removed two bottles of Butterbeer. She set them on a tray and then found two tall glasses. She walked out into the garden, squinting as the sun caught her eyes.

“I could only find Butterbeer; is that all right?” she asked him as she set the tray down on the table.

Remus opened his eyes and smiled directly at her. “Perfect,” he replied.

“Is this a holiday?” asked Tonks as she sat down at the table. She felt flustered at his presence, now that the initial shock of his news was wearing off.

Remus leant forward and lifted the Butterbeer to his lips. He took a gulp and then answered, “I won’t be going back to Romania if that’s what you mean.” He paused. “At least, not in the near future. I have other things to do.”

I’ll be able to see him, she thought. We can talk about Sirius and...

“How’s Auror training?” he asked interrupting her thoughts.

“Oh, fine,” she replied unenthusiastically. “Sorry, I still haven’t quite got my head around your news. How did Sirius escape? You never said. Did he have help?”

Remus opened his mouth to reply but just at that moment, Shirley walked out. “Here you go, my dears, Victoria sandwich straight from the oven.”

“Mrs Tonks, that looks wonderful,” said Remus earnestly. Tonks had the feeling he was extremely grateful for the interruption, probably to avoid her questions.

“It’s not ‘Tonks’ any more, love,” replied Shirley, sighing. “It’s King “ but he was a baddun’, not like my Eddy, so you can call me Shirley.”

Remus blinked at her frankness and laughed slightly nervously. He accepted a piece of cake and began to eat. “This is wonderful, Shirley. You’re a good cook.”

“Unfortunately, Dora hasn’t inherited my skills,” Shirley said, laughing. “I keep telling her the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach “”

“Nan!” whispered Tonks in undertone. “Stop it.”

Shirley grinned innocently and opened her mouth to continue, but a sound from the house made them all turn around.

“I am perfectly capable of making a cup of tea, Ted. Will you stop mollycoddling me?”

“That’ll be mum and dad,” explained Tonks to Remus. “I’ll ... err ... just tell them you’re here.” She ran into the house, knocking over a plant pot on the way.

“Graceful little swan, isn’t she?” Tonks heard Shirley say to Remus. He chuckled.

Inside the house, her parents seemed to be involved in a silent war. Ted had sat himself down in an armchair and was reading the newspaper. Her mother was looking at him, a firm set to her lips. “Hi,” Tonks said nervously. “I’ve ... err ... brought someone here for tea. Is that okay?”

“Nymphadora, darling,” effused Andromeda as she hastily rearranged her features into a welcoming smile. “I didn’t know you were back.” She peered out into the garden. “Oh, it’s not Rob, then.”

Tonks shrugged. “No, Mum, it’s not Rob Avery. Can you just give it a rest as far as he’s concerned?”

Her father snorted. “I don’t think your mum is capable of giving anything a rest,” he muttered. “Dora, we need to have a talk, love.”

“Ted,” Andromeda said, a note of warning in her voice. “This is not the time.” She turned to her daughter. “Come on, darling. Introduce me to your young man.”

“Oh, he’s not my ... umm ... anything, really, Mum. He’s a friend and I think you know him already.”

“Really,” replied Andromeda, smiling indulgently. “Then why are you totally failing to morph away that blush that’s creeping across your face.” She put her arm around Tonks and walked with her into the garden.

Tonks swallowed. “Mum, this is Remus Lupin. He was a friend of ...”

She felt Andromeda stiffen beside her. “We’ve met,” Andromeda said bleakly. “You were at the Wizangamot when Bellatrix was on trial, I believe.”

Remus stood up as she pulled up another chair. “I wasn’t sure you’d remember me, Mrs Tonks,” he began.

Andromeda looked from Remus to Tonks, who was settling herself into a chair next to him. “Call me Andromeda, Remus. After all, we’re practically the same age,” she said waspishly.

Shirley spluttered on her drink, and Tonks blushed once more at her mother’s apparent rudeness. Remus looked uncomfortable and set his drink down. “I should explain why I’m here, Andromeda. I have some news about Sirius Black.”

“We already know,” said Ted wearily as he walked into the back garden. He slapped the newspaper on the table. “If you’re from the Ministry, then you’re too late. It would have been nice to have a warning before Rita Skeeter and her crew pounced on us though.”

“Dad,” said Tonks urgently. “He’s not from the Ministry. This is Remus Lupin. He’s a friend of Sirius’.”

“That’s all we need,” muttered Ted, “another bloody Black apologist!”

“I wasn’t excusing him, Ted. I merely told the woman I didn’t want to talk about Sirius!” said Andromeda through gritted teeth.

“What’s wrong with excusing him?”Tonks said defiantly. “Perhaps theDaily Prophet can prove his innocence. Remus, you could talk to them too.”

Remus started and turned his face to Tonks. “That’s not a good idea.”

“But surely,” Tonks said desperately, “the more people that know, the more we --”
“Dora,” Ted said sharply. “Stop this now. Don’t wreck your future for him!”

Tonks looked mutinously at her dad. Normally he was a very placid man but she knew when not to argue. She sipped at her Butterbeer. There was a long silence, broken only by Shirley asking if anyone else wanted more cake.

“Remus,” said Andromeda at last. “What do you do for a living?”

Tonks groaned inwardly, but Remus smiled and looked Andromeda directly in the eye. “I was working with dragons, but I’ve come back now.”

“And what plans do you have?” Andromeda asked stiffly.

“Well, that’s rather up to Albus Dumbledore,” he replied calmly. “I have a meeting with him tomorrow.”

“Really?” asked Tonks. Her mind sped back to Romania, and Remus telling her that he was gathering information. “What does he want you to do now?”

“Oh, this and that, Tonks,” he said turning to her and grinning. “You know what Albus is like. Speaks in riddles a lot of the time.”

She laughed and grinned back. For just that moment she felt as though they were the only two there, sharing a drink and a joke, but then Andromeda spoke.

“Albus Dumbledore employs you, Remus?” she asked.

“In a way, yes,” he replied neutrally. “Although, the dragon reserve was my own idea.” He turned back to Tonks. “Charlie is well, by the way. I think he was hoping to come back to England to visit, but the family trip to Egypt was a strong lure.”

“Is he still seeing Alexa?” asked Tonks. Remus shook his head; she was about to ask what happened, but Andromeda interrupted again.

“You met up in Romania?” she questioned and then turned to her daughter. “You never mentioned seeing Remus there, Nymphadora.”

“Didn’t I?” muttered Tonks vaguely.

“I had just started at the reserve when your daughter returned from her hiking trip,” added Remus. “Our paths crossed for a few days at the most.”

“Remus saved me from being burnt to a cinder by a dragon, actually,” said Tonks, laughing.

“Oh, just like St George,” exclaimed Shirley and she cast a sly look at her daughter-in-law. “Unlike you to get yourself caught up in a drama, Dora, love. It’s a good job the lad was on hand, eh, Dromeda?”

Andromeda’s shoulders stiffened and Tonks fought back a furious urge to giggle.

Remus finished his drink and made a play of fishing out a pocket watch from his pocket. “Merlin!” he exclaimed. “Is that the time? I really should be going.” He stood up and held out his hand to Shirley. “Thank you very much for the cake. It was delicious.”

Shirley brushed away his hand and stood up to give him a kiss on the cheek. “It was nice to meet you at last, Remus,” she said enigmatically. Remus looked at her, a puzzled expression on his face and Tonks suddenly found her feet very fascinating.

“Do you want to use the Floo?” Andromeda asked. Her tone was friendlier and Tonks thought her mother sounded faintly ashamed of the abrupt manner she’d used.

“No, my flat isn’t connected at the moment. I’ll Apparate, I think,” replied Remus as he withdrew his wand from his robes.

“You can’t here,” said Ted. “I’ve put a charm around the place otherwise we’d be invaded by reporters. Dora, perhaps you could show Remus the way out past the gate.”

“Yeah, sure,” replied Tonks, pleased that she’d have a few minutes alone with him. She leapt to her feet, sending the Butterbeer bottles flying. “Sorry, sorry.” Tonks quickly picked up the bottles and siphoned up the remains of the drink with her wand. Andromeda raised her eyes to the sky, but Shirley laughed.

“Chip off the old block, Dora. Just like my Tonks. Cack-‘anded as you like, but wonderful with it.”

“Come on,” said Tonks abruptly to Remus. She left the table and began to walk down the path. “It’s this way.”

Remus hurriedly said his goodbyes and jogged to catch up with her. “Are you all right?” he asked her.

She shrugged. “Mmm, I will be. It’s only a beer bottle after all.”

“I didn’t mean that; I meant this news about Sirius. You’ve been suspiciously quiet,” he replied, a note of warning in his voice. Tonks changed the subject.

“I met Martha, did you know?” Tonks asked as they wandered down a long overgrown path. “She was flying for the Harpies and I ambushed her. Then she invited me for dinner. She told me you’d warned her that I’d turn up. What did you think I was going to do? Attack her or something?” Tonks didn’t know why she suddenly felt angry, but a feeling of futility was flooding through her. Sirius was free, but how the hell could she help him?

“No,” Remus replied slowly, and plucked at her arm. “I didn’t think you’d attack her, but Martha needed to know you might head her way.” He paused and they both stopped walking. He looked her in the eye. “You’re honest and incredibly loyal, Tonks, but you do charge at things. Martha was a mess when Sirius was sent to Azkaban, and I wasn’t sure how you turning up would affect her.”

“Oh,” said Tonks quietly. “Sorry, I hadn’t realised I was such a nuisance.”

Remus closed his eyes. “You’re not a nuisance “ far from it.” He paused. “I never thanked you for the salve you made me and the pictures inside the bunker.”

“Did it help?” asked Tonks, meaning the salve. She began walking again and Remus followed her as she hopped over a brook at the bottom of the garden. She looked around, but there were no reporters in sight.

“It was nice when to wake up after sunrise and see your face,” Remus said idly. He turned a faint shade of pink as he realised what he’d implied.

Tonks felt her stomach swoop. She turned around and impulsively leant forwards, planting a kiss on his cheek. “You’re welcome,” she said, smiling broadly.

Remus hesitated, and then he lifted a hand to her face. His thumb stroked her cheekbone, and she turned her head sideways to kiss his palm. Remus slowly leant forwards and gently kissed her on the cheek. Her lips moved towards his; they touched and lingered for a moment. He pulled back. “We can’t do this,” he muttered, not looking her in the eye.

“Why not?” she whispered as she pulled him back towards her.

“Because, amongst other things, I’m thirty-three, and you’re still a teenager.”

“I’m twenty!” she declared.

“That old, eh?” Remus murmured ruefully. He slowly disentangled himself from her arms. “I’m too damaged, Tonks. You know that.”

Tonks took a step back and assessed him. “Aren’t I the best judge of that?”

Remus shook his head. “You truly do not understand how dangerous I am.”

“For one night a month, Remus, you become a werewolf. For every day of my life, I’m a bumbling, falling over mess who gets into more scrapes and trouble than I doubt even you and your friends got into at Hogwarts,” she replied forcefully.

“You are as infuriating as him sometimes, do you know that? Convinced you’re right all the time. It must be your Black blood.”

His words echoed Rob’s, but the tone was vastly different. Slightly teasing, affectionate, but altogether much too brotherly in Tonks’ mind. She changed tack, determined to prolong her time with him.

“You’ll contact me if Sirius finds you, yes?”

Remus did a double take. “Why on earth would I do that? And why do you think he’ll contact me?”

“Because he’ll need our help,” she answered plainly. “We are the only ones who believe in him, after all.”

“H-hold on, Tonks. What are you saying?” Remus took her arm again and stared intensely into her eyes.

“You said to me “ three years ago “ that you didn’t think him guilty. You’d drunk Veritaserum and you said ‘Padfoot would not have done that.’” She rounded on him with disbelief written all over her face. “Are you going back on that now?”

“Listen to me!” Remus exclaimed and Tonks could see he was trying to control a sudden surge of feelings. “I know I said that, and I truly want to believe that you’re right. But Sirius Black murdered thirteen Muggles “ and Peter. And do you know what he was screaming in the night, just before he escaped from Azkaban?”

Tonks went white and bit her lip. She shook her head.

“’He’s at Hogwarts!’ That’s what he was saying in his sleep. He’s not going to come and find me. He’s not interested in any half-baked notion of innocence. He’s on his way to Hogwarts to kill Harry.”

“NO!” she shouted. “He won’t kill his best friend’s son.”

Remus clenched his jaw. He swung away from her but then turned back. “Tonks,” he began softly, “you knew him all of one day and base your judgement on an afternoon spent with him on his motorbike. I knew him all the way through school, but I recognise the facts when I see them. What do you think I’m doing back here? It’s not to help Black; it’s to protect Harry. Dumbledore has asked me to be the new Defence against the Dark Arts teacher.”

“And you’re going to accept,” Tonks said bleakly. “And when Sirius turns up “ or rather, if he turns up “ you’ll throw him back to the Dementors.”

Remus took a deep breath and reached for her hand. For a moment, she clutched at it, but then shook him off. “I wasn’t going to, Tonks. I’m a real danger to the students and the staff, although Dumbledore has promised me that Snape will make Wolfsbane every month, but I have a duty too.” He cupped her chin in his fingers and forced her eyes to meet his. “I have to protect James and Lily’s son.”

Pushing him away angrily, Tonks yelled, “I’ll do it alone then. Why the hell did I think you’d be any different?”

Remus held out a hand in a conciliatory gesture, but she refused to bend. There was a long silence while he studied her, and then she turned away, so, sighing, he took a few steps back. Raising his arm in a last salute, he turned sharply and Disapparated. Tonks heard the crack as he left, and a tear trickled down her cheek, caressing the very place where his lips had been. She felt as if she too were Apparating, so great was the sudden constriction around her heart.

***

With only a brief word of explanation to her parents and her nan about being needed in the Auror department, Tonks had run back to the house and hastily packed her things. She had grabbed a handful of Floo powder from the china pot her mother kept on the mantelpiece and headed straight for the Ministry. She tripped as she landed and her belongings spilled out into the atrium.

There was a round of applause. “Nice entrance, Nymphadora!” came the mocking tones of Jacob Proudfoot. “Your trip away has helped your flat feet, then.”

Tonks gritted her teeth. Don’t react, she thought. Ignore him. He’s an arsehole.

“What a good job we have witches like you in the Auror department. Black will soon be banged up again with you on the trail.”

She snapped. “Shut UP!” she yelled. “I’ve had it with your snide comments and sexist attitude. What makes you think you’re so bloody wonderful? You’re a tosser and a prat, who can’t even hover a foot off the ground without five cushioning charms.” She strode over to him and pointed her wand at his face. “If you EVER speak to me like that again, I’ll hex you into next week.”

“Like you can!” Proudfoot spluttered. “You haven’t shown much talent at all, Nymphadora. Unless you count the freakish way you can change your hair.”

Hair flashing a vibrant shade of red, Tonks raised her wands arm to inflict a Stinging Jinx when suddenly she heard a cry of Expelliarmus! Her wand flew out of her hand and Mad-Eye stood behind her.

“Don’t be stupid, girl!” he muttered as he walked towards them. “Getting you kicked off the training programme is exactly what he wants.” Mad-Eye bent down to retrieve her wand. “Proudfoot, go back to the office. You still have paperwork to catch up on. Nymphadora, pack those bags away somewhere and then meet me back here in ten minutes.”

Tonks gulped; she felt utterly ashamed over her loss of control and very embarrassed that Moody had seen it happen. “Thank you for stopping me,” she murmured as she gathered up her things.

Precisely eight minutes later, she returned to the atrium, having stashed her bags under her desk. Mad-Eye was staring at something on the wall opposite and she followed his gaze.

It was a poster of Sirius. They had used the same picture of him laughing manically as he was dragged away to Azkaban. Tonks found herself staring into his dead eyes. She searched his face hoping to find a resemblance to the man she remembered pushing her on a swing, but there was nothing.

“Your cousin,” said Moody at last. She swung around and saw Moody staring at her. “Did you ever meet him?”

The official line, spun by her mother was that she’d never met Sirius. That he’d not been in contact for years. It was a lie that Andromeda told her to keep when she started at Hogwarts and one that Tonks, whilst not promoting, had not denied when anyone touched on her relatives.

“Yes,” she said at last, her voice barely a whisper. “I met him once nearly fourteen years ago.” She sniffed. “I spent a day at his flat when I was six.”

“His flat?” asked Moody and there was an urgency to his voice. “The flat in London, you mean?”

Tonks nodded, wondering why this seemed so important to Moody.

“Come with me,” he ordered.

He marched her towards an empty office and pulled her inside. “We can’t get inside his flat, Nymphadora. Black has cast a protective spell around it “ not the Fidelius Charm “ but some other repellent. Only someone who has previously been there, and that he’s not barred will be able to get in.” He paused and Tonks noticed his magical eye was still, concentrating only on her face. “Just before the Potters were murdered, Dumbledore suspected there was a spy in the camp. People were encouraged to protect their homes from any possible suspect. To keep up the pretence, Black cast enchantments around his flat, too. When he was incarcerated, we couldn’t get in. Lupin tried, I tried and Dumbledore would have tried “ except that he’d never been there. Black was a cunning man and invited very few people into his home. I think, though, that he could have forgotten about a six-year-old girl visiting him once. He would not have seen you as a threat.”

Tonks listened and a plan started forming in her mind. She could get in, and if Sirius were there, she could help. She tried to keep her voice steady. “So you want me to go there alone, yes?”

“Not at all!” replied Moody. “I’ll Side-Along-Apparate with you. If he’s forgotten about you, he won’t think about someone coming with you, either.”

Tonks’ mind was whirring. If Sirius was there and Moody saw him, then he’d be straight back to Azkaban. She’d have to hex Moody, or something. There was no way she’d be allowed to go alone. “Okay,” she said a shade too brightly. She held out her arm to Moody who limped across to her. “What are we waiting for?”

Moody was right, for Sirius had not set his charm against his little cousin. Tonks Apparated them both in the lounge and as she landed “ perfectly for once “ she pretended to stumble and cried out, hoping that would be enough to warn him. Moody glared at her, so she smiled apologetically.

Tonks gazed around the room, gasping as she saw the same photograph on the wall, the black squashy beanbag where she’d sat with Sirius and the same sofa, looking smaller than she remembered. There was a thick layer of dust on everything and she coughed as she moved towards the fireplace. Picking up a photo frame, she carefully wiped it clean. Tears stung her eyes as she saw a picture of James and Lily with a newborn baby. Oh, Merlin, she thought. Why would the man who kept a photograph of this baby be on the way to murder him?

Propped against the wall, not in a frame, was another picture. Again, she wiped the dust from it and then the tears that she’d successfully kept back forced their way out of her eyes. She looked at her young self, scowling out of the picture. She remembered that day very clearly. They’d been going out for her birthday and Andromeda had forced her to wear a particularly horrible dress. Tonks grinned as she remembered the strawberry milkshake she’d accidently spilled down the front that had stained the dress so badly that Andromeda had thrown it away. She turned the photograph over to see Sirius’ writing.

Happy Birthday to Tonks! Oh dear, what on earth were you thinking, Meda, making that fireball wear a dress!

Tonks laughed out loud and Moody, who’d been circling the room, walked over to her side. “We’re here to catch a criminal, Nymphadora,” he growled. “Not play happy families.”

“What if he’s not a criminal, though?” Tonks blurted out the words without thinking. She bit her lip and waited for the inevitable argument from her mentor.

But Moody merely stared at her, and then he sighed. “I was one of the first on the scene, when they found Black. Did you know that?” Tonks shook her head. “You know me; I suspect everyone and trust no-one. Well, that’s the story of Old Mad-Eye, and it’s probably all true. But, I’d worked with Black and he was the very last person I’d thought of as a traitor. Crouch was all for killing him where he stood, but I refused to comply and instead escorted him to Azkaban. I asked him over and over why, why, why. But he didn’t answer. I don’t think he was capable of answering. At the time, I thought the disappearance of Voldemort had unhinged him, but he never explained his actions. The one thing I knew about that cousin of yours was that he was a talker. He could worm his way out of trouble in a heartbeat, but in all this time he’s never said a word.”

Tonks stared at him, feelings of hope and disbelief surging inside her. “Do you think he did it?” she asked, barely able to breathe as she waited for his answer.

“The evidence says he did it, Nymphadora,” Moody replied sternly. “But ... evidence, as we know, isn’t everything. However, there is no other plausible explanation “ at this time “ so if I find him, I will bring him in.” He paused and turned his attention back to the room. “Mind you, I don’t have long to recapture him.” Tonks looked at him blankly. “I retire in two weeks, so I hope you’ve learnt enough from me to progress to your final year.”

Tonks flushed. Although she had been practising whilst she was at her parents’ house, her meeting with Remus had driven all thoughts of her end of year exams away. “I’ll try my best,” she muttered.

Tonks walked out of the lounge and began to search the bedroom. She did not think Sirius was there now, he would surely have heard them talking and could have made his escape. She sat on the bed, where she’d slept all those years ago, and coughed as a cloud of dust flew into the air. Her foot connected with a box poking out from beneath the bed, and she bent down to pick it up. Her finger must have touched the latch, for the top sprang open and a pile of papers and photographs spilled onto the floor. Hurriedly, Tonks picked them up, her attention drawn to one letter.

Dear Padfoot,
Thank you, thank you, for Harry’s birthday present!


Tonks glanced at the name at the end of the letter and then looked at the photograph that tucked into it. Zooming around on a toy broomstick was a small child with jet-black hair. Harry, she thought. A pair of legs in the background chased after the toddler and she knew it was James. And there was Lily laughing with pure joy at the havoc Sirius’ gift was doing to the room. Tonks knew she should not remove anything from Sirius’ flat. She knew that Moody and the other Aurors needed every scrap of evidence they could lay their hands on to return Sirius to Azkaban. And she knew that if she were caught removing evidence, she would be kicked out. But she didn’t care. She folded the letter in half, slipped the photograph back in the middle and then carefully slid it underneath the waistband of her trousers. She smiled slightly as she remembered hiding potion ingredients in her tights. Perhaps I should start wearing skirts and tights again, she thought. She could hear Moody clunking down the hallway.

“There’s nothing here, Moody,” she called as she stood up and walked towards the door, “except some old letters from Hogwarts.”

Moody stood in the doorway and she handed him the box. “I’m hungry, you know,” she began. “Is there any chance of a break, and then we can return later?”

Moody scowled slightly, his magical eye fixing her with a steely glare, but she held his gaze. She washungry, but really, she wanted to get back to her flat to hide the photograph. “Go to Diagon Alley,” he said at last, “and pick up some sandwiches. I’ll stay here and wait. Don’t be too long.”

Tonks grinned and then turned sharply. Apparating straight back to her flat, she pulled out the photograph and letter and ran to put them in her bedroom chest of drawers. Then she Apparated again to Diagon Alley, picked up some sandwiches, pasties, fruit and drinks; and returned to Sirius’ flat.

“Here you go, Mad-Eye,” she said as she landed and threw him some food. He swivelled around and caught the packet. They sat on the floor and began to eat in companionable silence. “I don’t know what I’ll do without you,” Tonks said after she’d finished one sandwich. “You’ve taught me so much and I’ll miss you.”

Moody grunted something, and then he gave her a rare smile. “You’ve been a troublesome student, Nymphadora, but a worthwhile one. I’ll miss sparring with you.”

She laughed. But her amusement was short-lived because suddenly they heard a sound from below the flat. Shit, she thought. The basement, I forgot all about that.”

Tonks stood up and so did Moody. “There’s a basement,” she said apologetically. “Sorry, I forgot. It was where he kept his motorbike.”

Tonks led Moody across the hallway and opened a small door. She remembered Sirius taking a motorbike helmet from here and plonking it on her head. Drawing back a cloak, she revealed a set of steps, which led to the basement. They both walked down, Moody in front.

“Lumos!” he muttered as he entered the dank room. There was no motorbike now. Tonks knew that Sirius had given it to Hagrid on that fateful night. It was supposed to be more proof that he knew his time was up, but now Tonks wondered whether it was a deliberate act to end his association with his carefree school days. With James and Lily dead, could he have ever ridden something so connected with his friends again?

“There’s no one here,” murmured Tonks.

“Homen “ Merlin! what’s that?” exclaimed Moody. As he broke off from his spell, a huge shape loomed in front of him.

Tonks gasped and then laughed. “It’s a dog, Mad-Eye. He’s quite big, but I don’t think he’ll harm us.” She walked down the steps and held out her hand. The dog eyed her warily. “Come on, boy. You shouldn’t be down here; it’s not safe. You never know when a mad Auror might strike,” she said, laughing. She reached into her dress robe pocket and brought out her pasty. She broke some off and held it out to the dog that slunk forward and snatched it from her hand. “Wow, you are hungry.”

Moody returned to the flat as Tonks sat on the bottom steps. She broke off some more pasty, was about to put it in her mouth when she noticed the dog looking at her. “Oh, go on then,” she said and handed him the rest. She reached out a hand and stroked the dog’s ears. For a moment, it appeared to flinch; then relaxed. “You’re not used to this are you? I bet you’ve been ill treated “ you’re so thin.”

The dog snuffled into her hand, prodding her with its wet nose as if searching for more food. But Tonks didn’t have anymore and when she explained this, it seemed to understand. Giving her a quick lick on the hand, as if to say thank you, it turned away and squeezed through a hole in the basement door that led to the outside road. Tonks watched it leave. It had a large frame yet moved so silently. She watched as it placed its huge paws on the surface of the pavement. Like pads, she thought. Soft pads that muffle the sound as it walks. And he places them so carefully. I wonder...

She glanced at her own feet and began to imitate the dog’s actions. By placing carefully, splaying out her toes, she seemed to move silently across the ground. The dog turned its head and barked at her, then bounded off. Tonks laughed and bowed her head to it. “Goodbye, then, oh, hound with the padded feet and thank you!” She turned back to the basement and began to walk back up the steps, silently now. Padded feet, she thought. I need padded feet. Padf “ Tonks yelped and ran back down the steps and across the basement floor until she reached the road.

“Padfoot?” she called, but there was no one there.
Chapter Endnotes: I hope you enjoyed that. I've always wondered how that photograph ended up at Grimmauld Place ...