Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Apparently Asleep by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Visiting Charlie in Romania, Tonks foolishly decides to rescue a baby dragon. Facing its angry mother, she becomes trapped in the enclosure. What she needs is a modern-day St George to rescue her...

Thank you to Terri (mudbloodproud) and cassie (ms leading) for being amazing betas.

This chapter was written under the influence of flu and Amy Winehouse - again.

Incase you're confused - I'm not JK Rowling but I do love her world.
Wotcher, Nan,

I’m having a wonderful time here in Romania. I was so lucky to be able to get a week off work. I met up with Charlie three days ago and we’ve been hiking around the area like Muggles. It’s been a lot of fun. Charlie is hopeless without magic. Tomorrow, he has to return to work but I’m going to stay in a nearby pub and maybe help out. Charlie doesn’t want me to, though. He thinks I’m a walking “ or rather - tripping “ disaster area and near the creatures he looks after, it could be fatal. I so wish I could show you this place, Nan, as you’d love it, but no Muggles allowed, unfortunately “ not even one as wonderful as you.

Love, Dora.
Xxx


Tonks licked the envelope and sealed it shut. Charlie watched curiously as she put her hand into her bag and pulled out a small book containing stickers. She licked one and then placed it on the envelope.

“Explain, again, why you’re not using an owl?” he asked.

“Nan doesn’t like them,” she replied. “Besides, she runs a pub in the East end of London and owls turning up with letters attached to their legs could be awkward... Although,” she mused, “a pigeon wouldn’t be a problem.”

“I notice you don’t mind calling yourself Dora to your nan, Nymphadora,” Charlie said cheekily.

Tonks pulled a face and punched him on the shoulder. “My nan is probably the only person in the world that can get away with it, okay, Weasley. Even my mum and dad get moaned at. For my nan, though, there’s only one Tonks and that was my granddad!”

She stood up from the grassy bank where they’d been sitting and offered him her hand. Charlie accepted and she pulled him up. Together they walked towards the pub where she’d found herself a room. It was about a mile from the dragon reserve and frequented by many of the dragon handlers. Charlie was well known to the proprietress “ a rather buxom witch in her fifties, with dark brown hair, called Catalina. She reminded Tonks of Rosmerta but while Rosmerta was friendly to all her customers, Catalina reserved her smiles for the handsome young men who bought drinks.

“What do you want to drink?” Charlie said as they walked through the door.

“Anything cold, please,” Tonks replied. She sat down at a table and waited for him to return. At the bar, Charlie was waylaid by a young witch, also with dark brown hair, who began talking to him. She cast curious glances at Tonks and was obviously asking Charlie who his companion was.

“I’ll introduce you, Alexa,” she heard Charlie reply and, picking up the drinks from the bar, he walked over to the table.

“Tonks, this is Alexandreina, Catalina’s daughter. She works with me at the reserve. Alexa, this is Nymphadora Tonks, a mate from school,” he said as he pulled out a chair for Alexa to sit on.

“Nymphadora, that is an unusual name,” said Alexa.

“Oh, call me Tonks,” she replied. “I hate my first name.”

Alexandreina wrinkled her nose as if to say she didn’t blame her, and then started speaking. “I like my name, but will admit it does fill the mouth.” She paused as Charlie grinned at her. “What did I say?”

“Mouthful, Alexa. You mean your name is a mouthful,” he said, laughing.

She shrugged. “Is the same thing, I think? So, Tonks,” she began, and Tonks could feel her put emphasis on her nickname as if she found it distasteful, “what do you think of the dragon reserve?”

“I haven’t been near it... yet. I came last year but I haven’t seen the new hatchlings,” Tonks replied as she took a swig of her juice. “Charlie won’t let me near them.”

“Oh, he is so protective,” said Alexa, “but there’s nothing to be scared of.”

“I’m not scared,” said Tonks, bristling. Her hair began to change to the blueish hue it turned when she was angry or unsure of someone. Alexa’s eyes widened and Charlie hurriedly interrupted.

“I’m more scared for the dragons,” he said. “Tonks is a formidable witch and you don’t want to get on the wrong side of her.”

Alexa looked from Tonks to Charlie in disbelief.

“You should have seen what she did to the Gryffindor Quidditch team,” said Charlie, laughing. “I don’t think Oliver’s recovered yet.”

There was a silence. Tonks could feel her hair returning to the blonde she had been sporting before the blue.

“Your hair,” said Alexa, at last. Tonks smiled because the girl’s comment suddenly took her back to Hogwarts, where Professor Snape had voiced his objections to her hair colour.

“I’m a Metamorphamagus,” she replied, smiling. She screwed up her face and began to turn her hair brown, then pink, altering the style and the length. Charlie laughed, but she noticed that Alexa and her mother, who had approached the table to collect glasses, were not smiling.

“Fatal,” she thought she heard Catalina mutter under her breath.

“Sorry,” she said and blushed. “I didn’t realise there was a problem.” She screwed her face up once more and returned her hair to the blonde colour she’d walked in with. Catalina scowled and walked off. Alexa muttered something, and then stood up.

“Charlie, I have to go back. Are you coming? I’m sure your mate will be fine here by herself.”

“I’m not due back until tomorrow,” Charlie replied. “I’ll stay with Tonks for a bit. Catch you later, perhaps?”

She gave him a smile and then, giving Tonks a cursory nod, she left.

“Sorry about that,” said Charlie. “I should have warned you. They’re a superstitious bunch in this area.”

“Mmm, so I gathered,” said Tonks bitterly. “Any of them got Black blood in them?”

“Still rankles, does it?” Charlie said, sighing. He reached over and took her hand, oblivious to the glares Catalina was casting their way from the bar.

“Sometimes,” she replied and squeezed his hand back. “It’s not just my mother’s family, though. I’ve seen it throughout the Ministry. Proudfoot, for instance, never stops sneering.”

“Proudfoot’s an arse, Tonks. You know that,” Charlie said reassuringly. He lifted his hand to her head and began stroking her hair.

She blinked at him and then moved her head away. “Get off me, Weasley,” she said jokingly. “I don’t think your girlfriend’s mother is very pleased.”

“Girlfriend?” Charlie said in astonishment. “What are you on about?”

“Alexandreina, or whatever she calls herself. She fancies you, Charlie,” replied Tonks. “Merlin, how could you not know that?”

“Oh,” said Charlie, smiling.

“Why did Catalina say I was ‘fatal’, by the way? Tonks asked. “Am I fatally attractive or something?”

“Ah, you heard that,” said Charlie awkwardly. “Fatal can mean deadly, but I’m pretty sure Catalina meant...”

“Tell me,” Tonks urged.

“Err, ‘weird’, actually. I told you, she’s superstitious. Don’t let it worry you,” he said dismissively.

“I’m not at all worried, Weasley. I might have a bit of fun though,” she replied. She walked up to the bar to get some more drinks. Catalina eyed her suspiciously; Tonks turned her head round to Charlie, winked at him and then turned her hair as red as his. Catalina scowled.

“You, Nymphadora, can’t keep away from trouble, can you?” whispered Charlie as she returned back to the table.

“Thought I might get better service, Weasley, if she thought I was male,” replied Tonks, giggling.

***



After another drink, Charlie reluctantly returned to the dragon reserve to unpack, leaving Tonks to settle in at the pub. They agreed to meet up later as Charlie was anxious for her to see a nearby lake where he swam with his friends.

“We’ll take some food and some of the local wine, if you’d like,” he’d suggested before he left.

“Yeah, cool, Charlie,” she replied. “Look, why don’t you invite some of your friends, too? Perhaps Alexa would like to join us.”

“Are you sure?” Charlie had asked. “She wasn’t exactly polite to you, Tonks.”

“Mmm, and she’ll be even ruder if she thinks there’s something going on with us, won’t she? I’d like to see the dragons again and it would be good if she was friendly and not trying to shove me in front of them.”

It was a hot day and the night was not much cooler. Charlie arrived at her room after his visit to the dragon reserve, just as she was packing a costume, towel, and a book.

“Why are you bringing a book?” he asked scornfully. “Am I not entertaining enough for you?”

“You might be otherwise occupied, Charlie,” she said slyly. “Besides, I have to read this stuff.” She held it up and he could see the title: Venom and Antidotes.

“You do enjoy the training, don’t you, Tonks?” he asked, suddenly anxious.

Tonks paused, wondering whether she should tell him what she’d been trying to ignore since she came to Romania. “I love it, Charlie,” she enthused. “I love being out in the field with Moody. He’s a brilliant teacher, you know.”

“What about Stealth and Tracking? Has that got any easier?” he asked gently and she could tell he wasn’t fooled by her tone.

“I’ve improved, if that’s what you mean,” she replied shortly, and then relented. “Actually, I’m still pretty useless, as you can imagine. But Moody has faith.”

“So do I,” said Charlie and he tweaked a lock of her hair, now bright pink. He held out his hand and she accepted it, gratefully as they walked downstairs.

There was no sign of Alexa or Catalina as they entered the pub.

“Busy,” the barman replied dully to Charlie’s question. “Madam Catalina is preparing rooms for new guests.”

“Oh, okay,” replied Charlie. “Look, Josef, if you see Alexa, can you tell her we’re up at the lake and she’s welcome to join us?”

“How far is this lake?” asked Tonks as they stepped outside. There was a faint breeze in her hair, a welcome relief to the punishing heat of the day. She could see the sun setting in the distance and somewhere high above a crescent moon was beginning to appear. Not full, tonight, Remus, she thought to herself and then turned back to Charlie who’d been speaking. “Sorry, I missed that. What did you say?”

“I said it’s about two miles, but we could Apparate, if you’d rather,” repeated Charlie.

“Isn’t that a bit risky with Muggles close by?” said Tonks.

“Not really,” replied Charlie. “They think the place is haunted. I told you, they’re a superstitious bunch here.”

“Haunted by what?” she asked carelessly.

“Oh, the usual,” Charlie replied. “Ghosts, ghouls, vampires, and werewolves, I guess.”

“Werewolves!” exclaimed Tonks. “Are there werewolves here?”

“Nah, ‘course not. The wizards have kept alive the rumours so that the Muggles keep away. It gives us a chance to relax by the lake. You don’t seriously think I’d take you anywhere near a werewolf colony, do you, Tonks?” He stopped near a path that led through a small wood. “We can Apparate here. Come here, and I’ll take you by Side-Along-Apparition.”

Tonks gazed again at the moon. It had been eighteen months since she’d seen Remus, and she honestly could not think of a day when he hadn’t flitted into her mind. Every night, when she saw the moon, she imagined him under it, and during the day, at work, a comment about Hogwarts or Quidditch would send her mind careering back to the last time she seen him.

“Tonks,” Charlie’s voice broke into her thoughts. “Come on, take my hand.”

“Err, yeah, sure, Weasley,” she replied as she walked over to join him.

They Apparated to a lonely spot beyond the wood and walked up a path to the lake. The sun was setting over the water and Tonks was awestruck at the beauty of the scene in this desolate place. Charlie took her hand and led her down some steps carved out in the bank. Together they sat, companionably, and shared pumpkin pasties and wine.

“This is beautiful, Charlie,” Tonks said as she lay back on the dry grass. “Thank you for bringing me here. Why didn’t you show me this last year?”

“It was out of bounds, don’t you remember? There was some sort of Muggle water sports thing going on and we kept out the way,” Charlie replied as he rooted around in the picnic basket she packed. “Aww, Tonks, you haven’t brought much food with you. Pumpkin pasties and apples, is that it? I know you have the appetite of a pygmy puff but I’m a working man now.”

“Sorry,” she replied. “I guess I got distracted when I was packing it. Anyway, you’ve not been working this week.”

“Mmm, but I have to keep my strength up for tomorrow,” he grumbled. His stomach rumbled loudly. “I can’t drink all that wine on an empty stomach.”

“Is a good job I bring you something more substantial then, eh, Charlie?” said a voice from the shadows. Alexa appeared before them carrying a large bag. “Sandwiches, for the working man,” she said as she tossed a packet in front of them both.

“Alexa, you are a star!” cried Charlie as he tore open the packet.

Tonks grinned. “Way to a Weasley’s heart is through his stomach,” she muttered.

Alexa looked at her and whispered, “Are you interested in his heart?”

“No, Alexa,” Tonks whispered back, laughing as Charlie devoured the food Alexa had prepared, completely oblivious to the girls’ conversation. “I’m not interested in his heart. He’s a mate, okay.”

“Mate?” asked Alexa, her body stiffening. “It means a couple, yes? Making babies and things.”

“Merlin, no!” cried Tonks, still laughing. “That’s not what I meant at all. He’s a friend, that’s all.”

It seemed that Alexa finally understood what Tonks had been trying to tell her, for she smiled warmly and helped herself to a glass of wine.

“To mates,” she said and clinked her glass with Tonks’.

“What kept you, Alexa?” Charlie asked at last as he finished the last sandwich. “You weren’t in the pub.”

“I was working,” she replied. “Some new people turned up and I had to show them round.”

“Any good?” Charlie asked. “Do you think they’ll stick around?” He turned to Tonks. “We get students turning up all enthusiastic about working with dragons, but after a few days they leave, when they realise it’s a lot of work.”

“They might,” replied Alexa. She picked up an apple and began to bite into it, losing interest in the new recruits. “Are we swimming?”

“Yeah, why not?” replied Charlie. He began taking his shirt and trousers off, revealing trunks he’d put on underneath. Tonks could see he’d filled out considerably since she’d last seen him. The Seeker build had gone and he looked far more like a Keeper or Beater now. She saw Alexa eyeing him with interest.

“Err, you two go ahead. I don’t fancy it at the moment,” she said and smirked at Charlie. He raised his eyebrows at her, but she picked up her book and waved it in front of his face. The pair of them raced for the water. She could hear Charlie’s yells and Alexa’s shrieks as they splashed in the shallows. It struck her powerfully, then, how lonely she was. She had Charlie’s friendship, that was true, but it was a long distance friendship at best. Aggie was now married and expecting her first child. Tonks had been popular at school but hadn’t let herself get close to anyone, except for Charlie and Aggie. And now, at Auror training, she was so concentrated on her studies that she didn’t socialise with any of the others. Although, she mused, if that means getting on with Proudfoot, I’d rather be lonely.

“Charlie,” she shouted, “I’m going back.”

“What?” he shouted from the lake. “Tonks, are you okay?”

“Yeah, bit tired, that’s all,” Tonks replied. “Don’t worry about me, I can get back myself.” She picked up her bag and put her book in it. “I’ll leave the wine,” she added as she started to walk up the path.

“Tonks, wait,” said Charlie. He had run up from the lake to her. “Come on, stay a bit longer.”

“I really am tired, Charlie. I think I had too much sun and could do with a good sleep. Look,” she said and patted his cheek, “I’ll see you tomorrow, okay. I’ll come up to the reserve and you can show me around.”

“Okay,” Charlie said uncertainly, and then gazed back at Alexa who was watching them both. “If you’re sure.”

“I’m sure,” she replied. “Have fun. Bye, Alexa,” she called to the Romanian girl who had started to walk towards them.

Quickly, before Charlie could half-heartedly protest again, she strode to the edge of the forest and then waved before she Apparated. She landed, not outside the pub, but near the reserve as she’d intended. Although not as obsessed with dragons as Charlie was, Tonks had always been fascinated by them. It was one of the interests they shared. She wanted some time alone watching the new hatchlings.

As she approached the front gate, she changed her hair and face to an approximation of Alexa’s. It worked; the guard waved her through with barely a glance. Then, changing back, she headed for one of the enclosures near the edge and settled down to watch as the dragon babies began flapping their wings, demanding food from their mothers. She looked through the enchanted cages and saw that one little dragon, much smaller than the others, had fallen out of his nest. His mother was not around and he was trying to climb back in to the nest with his brothers and sisters. But dragons were ruthless from a young age, and his bigger siblings, realising there’d be more food without the runt, kept him out. Tonks’ heart melted. Always on the side of the underdog, she unlocked the cage with her wand. Letting herself in, she bent down to pick up the tiny dragon. The dragon looked up at her and she swore it smiled, if dragons could smile. She placed him back in the nest, then realised her mistake.

The dragon’s siblings turned on her. One bit her, and she cried out in pain. Then she heard a roar as the mother dragon, alerted by her children’s cries, returned and faced her ferociously. Its dark orange eyes glared at her with rage, and then the dragon opened its mouth showing sharp teeth. Tonks started to back away slowly, wondering if she could fire the Conjunctivitis Curse quick enough to ward off the fire that would soon be directed at her. She raised her wand, but the bite on her hand had begun to swell and she realised that her aim would be affected. There was now nothing she could do except run and duck. The dragon lifted its head, opened its mouth, and began to roar.

Before she could yell, Tonks felt someone rush into her and tackle her to the ground. Barely inches above was her a ball of flame. Her rescuer pulled her up and behind a wall, and then held her down.

“Multumesc,” she said faintly, pleased Charlie had taught her the word for ‘thank you’.

“That accent really is appalling, Tonks,” hissed a familiar voice. “And I suggest next time you want a moonlit stroll, you try to avoid dragons!”

She gazed up into a face she hadn’t seen for eighteen months and felt her heart thump loudly in her chest.

“Remus,” she breathed. “What on earth are you doing here?”

“Getting you out of trouble, it looks like,” he said grimly. “Have you got your wand?”

“Yeah, but I can’t use it very well, one of those little gits bit me on my wand hand,” she whispered.

“Okay, hold on and I’ll Apparate us out of here,” he said as he slid his arm around her waist. Standing up quickly, now in sight of the mother dragon, he turned them both on the spot and they Disapparated to outside the reserve. Tonks collapsed on the grass and let out a huge cry of relief. She wasn’t sure whether her breathing was faster because of the adrenaline coursing through her veins or because Remus Lupin, the man she’d been unable to forget, was kneeling beside her. He took her hand and she felt her heart skip a beat. Was he about to kiss her? she thought wildly. But instead he turned her palm over and examined the bite.

“What the bloody hell were you doing in there, by yourself?” he said, sounding angry now.

“Trying to save a dragon,” Tonks mumbled, feeling stupid. Then she rallied, “I could ask you the same question.”

“As of today, Tonks, I work here,” he said. He touched the bite gently. “Does it hurt?”

“A bit,” she said and shuddered as he touched it again.

“Stoicism is all very well, Tonks, but if it hurts then yell your head off,” he said shortly. “Look, I’ve got an antidote to this back in my room. If we alert the Healers tonight, you’ll end up in trouble for trespassing.”

He stood up and she tried to join him but something was making her feel very strange. She could see him spinning around her as she attempted to get to her feet.

“Okay, Tonks,” she could hear him say through a haze of pain. “The venom’s spreading. I’m going to get it out.” He picked up her hand and she could see it was now double its normal size; he lifted it to his mouth and began to suck at the wound.

After a while she felt the pain start to drain away. She tapped Remus on the arm and he ceased. “Better?” he asked as he looked at her face.

“Yeah, a bit. Where did you learn that? I don’t remember reading that in my book,” she mumbled, aware that she was starting to sound delirious.

“Old Muggle remedy, Tonks. But it’s only temporary,” he replied as he scooped her into his arms. “I’ll get you back to the local pub and take a proper look.”

“Oh, are you staying there, too?” she asked. She felt her head begin to spin and then she passed out.

When she came around, Remus was carrying her into his room. He laid her on his bed then rummaged in a half unpacked, shabby-looking case. She tried to sit up but still felt woozy.

“Don’t sit up,” he said. “Stay still until I get this prepared.”

Tonks obeyed him and lay her head back on the pillows. The pain in her hand, which had receded when he’d sucked some of the venom out, was beginning to return and she felt nauseous. Remus stood up and began to mix some ingredients with a small pestle and mortar. He looked across at her. “You look very pale,” he said with concern. “Is the pain worse? Don’t lie this time.”

“It’s not great,” she said through gritted teeth. “And I feel a bit sick.”

Remus conjured a glass and some water and brought it over. He sat on the side of the bed and slid his arm around to help her sit up. “Sip this slowly,” he said gently. “The antidote will be ready soon.”

He returned to the bowl and began pounding the ingredients. When he’d finished he came back to her side. Remus took her injured hand. “This is going to hurt, Tonks, but it will draw the poison out. Dragon hatchlings have remarkably strong venom because they can’t breathe fire for the first few months.” He applied a yellow paste to the bite. Tonks felt an immediate stinging sensation and then a sharp stabbing pain as the venom began to leave her system. She cursed under her breath, and then apologised. Remus laughed.

“You can curse all you want, Tonks. I’ve heard and used all those words before,” he said ruefully.

“Really,” she replied, talking to take her mind off the pain. “I can’t imagine you saying anything stronger that ‘Merlin’s pants’.”

“Hmm,” he muttered. “Well, you haven’t seen me go through a transformation, have you? Then you’d hear me curse.”

“Sorry,” she mumbled, turning her face away from him. “I didn’t think.”

There was a long silence and then Remus picked her hand up and began examining the bite. “I find it astonishing,” he said calmly, “that it’s not the first thing you think about me whenever we meet.” Tonks looked at him with a puzzled expression on her face. “You don’t automatically think ‘werewolf’ when you see me, do you?”

“No, of course not,” Tonks replied. “Why, is that what people do?”

He shrugged. “Once they know, it’s hard for people to keep the fear out of their eyes.”

“Not Sirius,” she said confidently. “He wouldn’t have feared you.”

“No, not Sirius, James, or Peter. But I think that’s because they found out when they were young and very reckless. Sirius, of course, never stopped being reckless. He took delight in my...” He trailed off and Tonks had the feeling he’d stopped himself from saying something important.

“He took delight in what?” she asked. “You transforming?”

Remus blinked, and she had the feeling he was thinking rapidly. “No, not in my transforming, that would be ridiculous. He liked having a friend who was different, that’s all.”

Tonks looked at him sceptically, but realised the subject was closed ... for now.

“You didn’t seem surprised to see me,” she said. “You’ve not asked why I’m in Romania or anything.”

“Oh, I’d heard you were here, that’s why,” Remus replied. “Or rather, I overheard a conversation between two of the dragon handlers about Charlie Weasley and a girlfriend who had hair that changed colour.” He paused and began to apply a dressing to her hand. “I’m pleased you two made up, anyway,” he said, sounding slightly too hearty. “Where is he though? He should have been with you in that enclosure.”

Tonks laughed. “He’s currently playing around with one of the lady dragon handlers by the lake. It’s been a common mistake. Charlie referred to me as his mate, and they all thought we were a breeding pair or something.” She giggled. “I left them to it.”

“And it doesn’t bother you that he’s seeing someone else?” Remus asked casually.

“No, not at all. Why should it?” replied Tonks. “Charlie’s always been a mate. The most stupid thing I ever did was to go out with him. I nearly lost him for good.”

“Oh, I don’t know, Tonks. I think stealing Potion ingredients to brew Veritaserum could be classed as stupid. You could have been expelled,” Remus said slyly.

Tonks had a childish urge to poke her tongue out at him, but she grinned. “And that secret passage, in Honeydukes cellar, I expect Professor McGonagall told you about it did she, Mr Perfect?”

Touche,” he said, laughing. He stood up and began repacking his case. “How’s the hand now?”

“Much better, thank you,” Tonks replied as she swung her legs off the bed.

“In that case, would you like to join me for a late supper? I’m sure Catalina will bring something up here, if we ask nicely,” he said and started walking to the door.

“I’d love to,” Tonks replied, “but I think you’d better ask Catalina; she’s not my biggest fan.” Remus looked puzzled. “She doesn’t trust me because of this,” Tonks explained and began to change her hair.

Catalina told Remus she would be delighted to bring some food and a bottle of wine. Tonks could hear them talking in the bar and was amused at Catalina’s suggestion that she bring up two glasses with the wine. Oblivious to the lasciviousness in her voice, Remus agreed and sauntered back to his room.

“You do realise, Remus, that Catalina...” Tonks words were interrupted by a knock at the door. Without waiting for a reply, Catalina walked in carrying a tray bearing a tureen of piping hot soup, one bowl, some bread, and a bottle of wine with two glasses. She’d taken a few moments to reapply her make-up and spray herself with rather overpowering perfume.

“I bring your wine, Mr Lupin, and some food, yes. Shall I open it for you, and pour us...?” She stopped suddenly as she caught sight of Tonks lying on the bed. If she could have spat at her without Remus seeing, Tonks had no doubt she would have done.

“Oh, this is so good of you, Catalina,” said Tonks, and then added with a slight hint of mischief in her voice, “Isn’t it wonderful to have room service, Remus?”

Catalina muttered something under her breath and scowled fiercely at Tonks, who smiled.

Looking puzzled, Remus stood up to take the tray from Catalina. “Yes, thank you very much,” he said, and placing the tray on top of the chest of drawers, he showed her out of the room. Turning back to Tonks, he looked perplexed. “Why did she scowl at you?”

“Remus, please,” she said, giggling. “You don’t think she slapped all that make up on for my benefit, do you?”

“What, you mean...? You think...?” Remus reddened as the realisation that Catalina had come up here for another reason sank in. “Oh,” he said, sighing. “Thank Merlin you were here. Your name will be mud, though.”

“I think it already is,” she replied. “I told you, she’s not keen on ‘weird’ witches like me.”

“Does that bother you?” Remus asked curiously.

She considered his question. “In a place like this, no, I can’t say it does, but...” She stopped and then sighed. “It annoys the hell out of me that some in the Ministry still view me with suspicion or, even worse, derision.”

“I can’t imagine anyone deriding you for long, Tonks,” said Remus seriously. “I doubt you’d give them the chance.”

She smiled gratefully as Remus brought her a bowl of soup and some bread. Tonks took the bowl in one hand and then picked up the spoon in her injured hand. She winced and dropped the spoon.

“Sorry,” said Remus. “I should have realised your hand isn’t really up to holding cutlery. Is it still very painful?”

“A bit,” she admitted. “I’ll just dip bread in and eat that way, I think.” She looked at her thumb. “It really is much better than it was; you’re obviously skilled at Potions and things.”

Remus levitated the tureen over to a small bedside table, and then started to pour the wine. “I would have liked to have been a Healer,” he said after a while, then added quietly, “But that wasn’t going to happen.”

“What do you do, then?” Tonks asked. “Sorry, is that rude? I just wonder what you do with yourself and why you left England. You said it had something to do with Dumbledore?”

He sat down on the other side of the bed and handed her a glass of wine. “I’ve been travelling across Europe,” he said after a while. “Doing jobs here and there, bar work, manual labour “ that’s what I’m doing at the dragon settlement.”

“And Dumbledore?” she asked again.

“It’s complicated,” he said as he helped himself to more bread. “Part research, part reconnaissance, part something to keep me occupied.”

“Reconnaissance?” she questioned.

“Tell me, Tonks,” he said when he’d finished his mouthful, “what is the official line at the Auror department, regarding Voldemort?”

She spluttered at the unexpected question. “Err, well, the official line is that You-Know-Who has gone... But,” she peeped at him from beneath her lashes, “I have Alastor Moody mentoring me, and he reckons Vol “” she stopped and shook her head ““ sorry, I can’t say it. He reckons You-Know-Who will return.”

“Well, that’s what Dumbledore believes and what I believe, so I’m sort of like a spy, gathering information on dark wizards.” He finished his soup and placed the bowl on the floor. “Old Mad-Eye, eh?” replied Remus. “Well, you couldn’t be in better hands. Does he still shout ‘Constant Vigilance’ all the time?”

She grinned. “Yeah, he still does that. How do you know him?”

“I worked with him during the war. He’s an excellent Auror,” Remus replied. He picked up the bottle of wine and offered her another glass. Tonks shook her head and went back to her soup. “You look tired,” Remus said. “Perhaps you should go to bed.”

“I’m fine,” she said and then yawned. “Oh, perhaps you’re right. I’d better sneak out quietly or Madam Catalina will be calling on you.”

He pulled a face at her. “You’re incorrigible, Tonks.” He helped her up off the bed and had another look at her thumb. The swelling appeared to be going down. “Come on, I’ll walk you back.”

“I can find my own way, Remus. Don’t bother,” she replied.

“Knowing you, you’ll find your own way back via the dragon enclosure,” he replied. She swayed a little and he put his arm round her waist. “You’re still unsteady.”

“Mmm,” Tonks said, “I do feel a bit woozy still. I must have stood up too quickly.”

Strengthening his hold on her, Remus walked her slowly back to her room. He opened the door and helped her into her room.

“You’re very pale again,” Remus said with concern in his voice. “I think you need a good night’s sleep. I’ll come and change that dressing in the morning before I go to work.”

“Yeah, I will,” she replied. He began to walk out of the room. “Remus,” she said, “Thanks for everything. I could have been in a lot of trouble tonight, couldn’t I?”

He smiled. “It must be my St George complex.” Tonks looked puzzled. “Saving the maiden from the fire breathing dragon,” he explained. Tonks yawned again. “I’ll leave you to get some sleep. “ He took a sweeping bow. “Goodnight, fair damsel.”

Tonks laughed and half curtseyed. “Goodnight, St George.”

After he’d left, Tonks lay in her bed and thought over the evening’s events. Meeting Remus again felt unbelievably good and she smiled to herself as she ran over the conversation they’d had tonight. She turned on one side and fell asleep with a smile on her face. However, her hopes for sweet dreams were wrecked once more by dreams of Sirius in Azkaban. She had been visited by these dreams more frequently of late, but this was the most vivid she’d had. She dreamt of Sirius blasting away Peter Pettigrew, saw Mad-Eye dragging him away whilst he laughed maniacally, and then saw him in Azkaban with Bellatrix, the Dementors leaning over to give him the kiss.

“Nooo!” she shrieked. “Merlin, no. Not that!” She sat up in bed. She was sweating with fear and wondered if anyone had overheard her screams. She looked at the clock. It was five o’clock in the morning. Deciding that she wouldn’t get back to sleep now, Tonks levered herself out of bed and found her bag. Pulling on some jeans and a T-shirt, she let herself out of her room and the pub and Apparated to the lake. She took off her shoes and jeans and walked into the lake, hoping the cool water would numb the pain in her hand and calm her thoughts. She didn’t know how long she swam but when grey light of dawn started to give way to the brighter hues of daylight, she swam back to shore.

It hadn’t worked. The pain in her hand had receded but her thoughts still hurt. She pulled her jeans on over her wet legs, intending to return to her room but then, overwhelmed with sadness, she sat on the bank, brought her knees up to her chest, and wept.

“Tonks,” said Remus from behind her. “What’s wrong?”

She tried to smother her sobs but it was too late. He sat down next to her and put one arm around her shoulders.

“Tell me what the matter is,” he said softly.

“I have these nightmares about Sirius,” she mumbled. “I see him murdering those Muggles, I see him being dragged away by Mad-Eye, and I can’t do a damn thing to help.” She paused. Remus stroked her wet hair but said nothing. “I still think he’s innocent,” she continued vehemently, “but I still can’t do a blind thing to prove it.”

“You’ve always known it would be difficult, Tonks,” Remus whispered. “Why are you so upset now?”

“Because something happened just before I left for Romania,” she said. She lifted up her face and was touched at the tenderness in his eyes. They were so close now; she was a hair’s breadth away from being able to kiss him, but the horror of the nightmare weighed on her shoulders and she turned back to look at the lake. “As part of my end of year assessment, I had to face a Dementor,” she said bleakly, “and I failed.”
Chapter Endnotes: See, I told you Remus would be back soon. I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Please leave a review.