Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Apparently Asleep by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Although busy with Auror Training, Tonks still finds herself brooding over her encounter with Remus in Romania.Perhaps what she needs is a distraction. Could Daily Prophet journalist, Rob Avery, be that distraction?

Thank you so much to Cassie (ms leading) for beta'ing this chapter and giving me a swift kick when I needed it. Thanks also to Terri for giving me some advice.

Special mention to Lexxyy and Livi for coming up with names for the pub and the drink.
Tonks sat at her desk in the Auror office, listening idly to the conversations going on around her. Back from Romania nearly three months now, she found her thoughts drifting less and less to moonlit encounters with dragons and conversations by the lakeside. There had been an indefinable moment, after she’d wept over the Dementor, when she’d thought there was something between her and Remus. She closed her eyes, remembering. It had been like the time in the Infirmary when his fingertips had traced her cheekbone, and when he’d kissed her in Honeydukes cellar. However, when Remus had left so suddenly, she’d realised how irritating it must have been for him to have her tagging along all the time.

It does, she thought, feel good to be back. With the knowledge that she could now produce a proper Patronus, she felt that she was at last starting to make her mark. Just as Remus had predicted, Moody had been impressed with her decision to tackle the Dementor and had voiced this to Scrimgeour several times. The Head Auror must have agreed because he cleared her to continue into the second year of training.

“So this Avery character,” she heard Moody snarl to Scrimgeour, “he’s going to be based in this department?”

“Yes, Alastor,” replied Scrimgeour, in exasperation. “Look, I’m not happy about it either, especially given his family, but Fudge thinks it’s a good idea. Good publicity for the Auror department, especially as we now have “” he stopped and inclined his head towards Tonks ““a witch in the department.”

Tonks looked up at Scrimgeour’s words. The name Avery struck a chord with her. Frowning, she tried to remember where she’d heard it before.

“Rob!” she heard Proudfoot yell across the office. “Rob Avery, what on earth are you doing here?”

Tonks looked up to see Proudfoot walking across the office to greet a figure lounging in the doorway.

Avery, she thought, and stared at the newcomer. Aware of her scrutiny, Rob Avery turned his head and smiled directly at her.

Wow! she thought as she took in his slim figure and blond curly hair. He’s gorgeous.

Scrimgeour and Moody stopped their conversation; Scrimgeour beckoned to the young man, and he entered the office and stood by his side.

“Listen up, everyone,” ordered the Head Auror. “This is Robert Avery, from the Daily Prophet. He’s writing a series of articles about the Auror department, so I expect you to make him welcome.”

As Tonks saw Moody’s magical eye swivel in disapproval, she snorted. Scrimgeour glared at her, so she smothered her grin but not before she’d caught Rob Avery grinning back. He winked at her.

“Sir,” Proudfoot said from his desk, “Rob’s welcome to shadow me on assignment. We’re old friends.”

“Excellent idea,” Scrimgeour replied. “Any objections, Avery?”

“Err, well,” Rob said diffidently, “I think our readers might like a more unique viewpoint than a working Aurors’. Do you have any ... uh ... trainees I could follow?”

“Yes, I think I could arrange that. Edwin Savage is currently in his third year, and Nymphadora Tonks is in her second. Take your pick.”

“Oh, I think Nymphadora will do fine,” said Rob, smiling. “The readers will love a witch’s perspective.”

“Fine,” said Scrimgeour dismissively. “Alastor Moody will run through their schedule.”

“Their?” queried Rob.

“Alastor Moody is Miss Tonks’ current partner. None of the trainees work alone.”

Rob nodded and then looked at Tonks. ‘Shame,’ he mouthed, smiling. She smiled back. The next few weeks will be fun, Tonks thought.

***


Fun, Tonks decided two weeks later, was definitely not the word. Rob Avery, she decided, was the most big-headed, sexist prat she’d ever come across. When he wasn’t hanging onto Mad-Eye’s words like some fawning Pygmy Puff, he was sitting in the office drinking coffee with Proudfoot and laughing at disparaging jokes about witches. The worst of it was that everyone thought he was bloody wonderful. Even Moody wasn’t quite as dismissive once he’d discovered that Rob had an impressive list of contacts.

Grudgingly, Tonks had to admit that he was professional. His initial flirtatious attitude had changed to one of politeness when she’d refused his offer of a drink after work.

Perhaps I should have gone for that drink? she thought. It’s not as though I’m having any fun sitting in my flat by myself night after night.

She’d been leaving the office one evening when he’d asked. Tonks remembered it clearly, because she’d been gazing at the full moon that hung in the sky. She’d barely heard his invitation, and had perhaps been a touch brusque when she turned him down, so she wasn’t surprised that he hadn’t repeated the invitation.

Not that I’d want to go anywhere with him, she thought moodily.

Tonks was sitting at her desk, trying to decide which pile of paperwork to attack first when she heard a familiar voice from behind her. “Hello, Nymphadora.” Tonks turned round to see Arthur Weasley had entered the office. “I’m looking for Alastor.”

“He’s out at the moment, Mr Weasley,” she replied. Although he’d asked her to call him Arthur, she couldn’t quite bring herself to do that. This was Charlie’s father, after all.

“Arthur,” he said warmly. “Call me Arthur, Nymphadora.” He smiled gently at her.

“I will if you call me Tonks, Arthur,” she replied impulsively. “Charlie must have told you what I do to people who use my first name.”

Arthur chuckled. “Yes, he has told us about your temper, but, my dear, I’m married to a red-haired witch with a fierce tongue, so you won’t terrify me.” He paused. “Have you heard from Charlie recently?”

Tonks nodded. “Uh huh - I got an owl last week. He seems very busy. Although whether that’s work or play, I don’t know. Alexa is keeping him occupied.” She chuckled.

“Oh, you know about his girlfriend, then?” said Arthur, going slightly pink.

“Mmm, I met her when I was there in the summer. She’s nice, Arthur. I don’t think Mrs Weasley needs to worry about her little boy.” Tonks snorted.

Arthur smiled. “I’m glad. Molly worries about him being so far away. I know she wants him back here, and the thought of a Romanian girlfriend makes her realise that he’s not coming back in the near future.”

“Well, not until they re-introduce dragons to Britain,” replied Tonks.

“I think Molly rather hoped you’d... um... tempt him back,” he said, going pink again.

Tonks laughed. “I’m sorry. We were only ever friends, Arthur,” she said, ignoring the month she and Charlie had dated. “Now, what did you want to see Mad-Eye about?”

“Ah,” he said, remembering the reason he’d come here. “It’s about the raid.”

“What raid?” asked Tonks. She hadn’t heard anything about a raid.

“Malfoy Manor,” replied Arthur. He rubbed his hands together gleefully. “This could be our chance to finally get something on Lucius Malfoy. Mad-Eye and I have been after him for years!”

Tonks was very still. She’d heard nothing about this. About to ask Arthur more, she was interrupted by the sound of Moody’s leg clunking along the wooden floor and the irritating voice of Rob Avery as he asked even more questions. She gritted her teeth.

“Mad-Eye,” she said coldly, “Arthur’s been waiting for you. He wants to know what’s happening about the raid.”

Moody looked at her calmly. “Wait out here, please, Nymphadora. I’ll speak to you when I’ve finished talking to Arthur.” He ushered Arthur into his office and closed the door very firmly behind them. Tonks felt a flicker of satisfaction that Rob-bloody-Avery hadn’t been included in the cosy little meeting either.

“I guess it’s about the raid on Malfoy Manor,” said Rob as he perched himself on her desk. He was quite close to her now and she felt an overwhelming urge to punch him for wearing that self-satisfied smile on his smug face.

“I guess it is,” she mimicked his voice, a mix of the well-to-do accent he’d been brought up with and the rougher intonations he’d added to dampen it down.

“Hey,” he exclaimed, “don’t get mad with me because Moody hasn’t kept you in the picture. I guess he thought you were too close.”

“What do you mean by that?” she spat.

“Lucius Malfoy’s your uncle, isn’t he?” Rob questioned.

“Uncle by marriage,” she replied. “And I’ve never met him “ or my aunt.”

Rob leant in close to her. “I know what it’s like to have family skeletons, Nymphadora.”

She looked at him. His blue eyes that usually mocked suddenly seemed very earnest.

“Your brother,” she said quietly.

“Yep,” he replied. “Angus Avery is my brother and was accused of being a Death Eater.”

Tonks had read the file on Angus Avery as soon as she’d connected him to Rob. There had been patchy, but in her mind compelling, evidence to prove his guilt. Moody had told her that many of the former Death Eaters escaped Azkaban due to family connections and heavy bribes.

“I know what you’re thinking,” he said, suddenly angry. “But Gus was never a Death Eater. He was Imperiused.”

She must have altered her expression in some way because he was becoming very defensive.

“He was never caught doing anything,” he said loudly. “Not like your aunt... and that cousin of yours.”

“Shut up about Sirius,” Tonks retorted fiercely. “You know nothing about him.”

Moody’s office door opened then, interrupting the argument, and Arthur walked out with a smile on his face.

“Nymphadora,” Moody called, “come in here, please.”

Still irate from the brief row with Rob, she walked in and sat down on the hard wooden chair Moody had gestured her towards. He pushed a plate of biscuits towards her, but she shook her head.

“You’re angry with me,” he growled.

“A bit,” she replied. “I didn’t like finding out about a proposed raid from Arthur and Golden Boy out there.”

“Go on,” Moody said, fixing his magical eye on her.

“You’ve always treated me as a partner, Mad-Eye. A junior partner, a very inferior and sometimes inept partner, but a partner all the same. And...” She stopped.

“You think I’ve kept this from you deliberately,” he replied. “Perhaps you thought old Mad-Eye didn’t trust you?”

“It crossed my mind,” she admitted.

“And mine too,” Moody said, and smiled grimly. “But then, as you know, I trust no one.” He paused and then helped himself to a biscuit. “The reason I didn’t tell you about the raid was because I wasn’t sure you could handle it yet.”

“What do you mean?” Tonks said in outrage.

“They are your relatives, Nymphadora.”

“I’ve never met them,” she protested. “My mum was disowned when she eloped with my dad.”

“And maybe you’re itching for a chance for revenge?”

“N-not at all,” she stuttered, although it wasn’t quite true. “Well, I suppose if I’m honest, I would like to be there when the Malfoys are unmasked. My mum, even after all these years, is still hurt by the way her sister treated her. But I can be professional, Mad-Eye, and I want to be there.”

He looked at her, obviously assessing her words. Tonks hoped he realised she was being truthful. Yes, she’d love to see the Malfoys humiliated, but not to the detriment of her career.

“On balance, I think you’ll be an asset to the raid,” Moody said at last. “Now go home and get a good night’s sleep. We meet here tomorrow at five in the morning.”

Tonks face lifted and she smiled at her mentor. “Thank you,” she said as she left his office. “I won’t let you down.”

Rob was still there, perched on her desk. He smiled quizzically at her.

“Raid still on?” he asked. She nodded in reply. “You were very defensive about your cousin earlier on. Why’s that?”

“I don’t like people making connections between me and the Black family, that’s all,” she muttered. Remembering that Rob was a journalist, she cursed her loose-tongued defence of Sirius earlier. “We’re not all dark.”

“I know that better than anyone.” He smiled at her. “I think we’re in the same boat, Nymphadora. Perhaps you’d reconsider my offer of a drink after work? Maybe tonight?”

“Err... I don’t think so,” Tonks replied shortly. She turned back to the pile of paperwork on her desk, hoping he’d leave her alone.

“You don’t like me much, do you?” Rob asked.

“I don’t like wizards who think witches should be tied to a cauldron with five kids running around their ankles. Does that answer your question?”

Rob opened his eyes wide and jerked his head back in surprise. “When have I ever... Oh, you mean the jokes, I suppose,” he said, laughing.

“Uh, yeah,” she replied scathingly. “You and Jacob are like soul mates. Perhaps you should ask him out instead?”

Rob grinned at her. “He’s really not my type.” He paused and when he continued he wasn’t teasing any more. “I’m a journalist, Nymphadora, and I have to be nice to people. It doesn’t do to alienate anyone “ even a prat like Jacob Proudfoot, because I’ll never know if he could be useful. I’m sorry if I caused you offence, but I swear I don’t share his opinions.”

Tonks looked at him. He did seem to be sincere. “I thought you two were friends from school?”

“Not really,” he replied. “We were in the same year and Jacob’s older brother was in Slytherin so we were acquainted.” He smiled ruefully. “Plus we shared a lack of talent on a broomstick “ something I bet you can’t relate too. I hear you’re pretty good.”

Tonks grinned. “I have my moments.”

“So, Nymphadora, will you give me another chance and come out for a drink with me?” He paused and then added, “Purely as colleagues, if that makes you feel better.”


“As colleagues, yeah, okay, and only if you stop using that ridiculous name and call me Tonks,” she replied, smiling back.

***


Rob took her to a pub he knew called The Dragon’s Lair. It was dark and uninviting from the outside, and the small side street where it was situated smelt of uncollected rubbish and stale food. Rob pushed the door and held it open for her, to reveal a small and rather cramped room. It was an old pub and decorated shabbily. The slightly tatty green wallpaper curled at the corners and the dark wooden tables were marked with drink rings. But in spite of this, the pub was cared for and had a friendly atmosphere. Rob found them a table in the corner and raised his hand to the man at the bar.

“What would you like?” Rob asked her politely. “Surprisingly, Sid, the landlord, keeps a very good range of Elfish wine. Would you like me to get a bottle?”

“Um, not really,” replied Tonks apologetically. “I’m not that keen on wine.”

“That’s okay,” he said, smiling at her. “What would you like?”

Tonks paused, wondering if it was really gauche to ask for Butterbeer. She wasn’t much of a drinker. Seeing the drunks in her nan’s pub all those years ago had put her off. She looked at the array of bottles along the shelf. Rob, probably sensing her hesitation, began to speak. “How about I get something for you, like a mead or Firewhisky?”

“Sorry,” she said, “I don’t like Firewhisky either, and mead’s a bit sweet. Do they have any Muggle drinks at all?”

Rob looked at her, frowning slightly. “Muggle drinks? Well, they might. What do you fancy?”

“I quite like cider.” She grinned at him and explained, “My grandma’s a Muggle and she runs a pub in the East end of London. I’ve had cider there.”

“Okay, Tonks, let me see what Sid can do.” Rob weaved his way through the tables and began to speak to the man Tonks assumed was Sid. The old man glanced at Tonks and then knelt down to pull out a dusty bottle. After ordering himself a Firewhisky, Rob returned with two drinks in his grasp.


“He had cider?” she said in disbelief as Rob placed the glass of amber liquid in front of her.

“Not exactly,” Rob replied. “This is Pixie Cider. Sid had a few bottles left. It’s not quite the same as Muggle cider “ apparently it’s a bit stronger, so you’d better just have the one.”

Tonks took a sip. It was sparkling and seemed to dance on her tongue. It had a sweeter, more enticing aroma than the cider she was used to.

“Thank you,” she said. “He’s right; it is strong. Thanks for the warning.”

“Hmm, I don’t try to get girls drunk, you know,” said Rob, frowning slightly.

Tonks blushed. “I-I wasn’t suggesting that,” she muttered.

Rob stopped frowning and moved a bit closer to her. “So, tell me about your cousin, then.”

Tonks looked at him warily. He seemed to be genuinely interested, but she couldn’t be sure. Her mind careered back to that day she took James’ record and Rita Skeeter’s article. He was a journalist, after all. “Nothing to tell really,” she said noncommittally. “Sirius Black’s my mum’s cousin, that’s all.”


“Hmm, you seemed very defensive about him in the office,” Rob replied. “Look, I know what you’re thinking. I’m a journalist and you don’t trust me, but...”

“Hey, Rob, my man, what are you doing here?” Jacob Proudfoot suddenly appeared in front of them amidst the crowded bar. “And with Nymphadora, too. You are honoured, Rob. The old charm’s still working.”

“Piss off, Proudfoot,” Rob said, sounding annoyed that he’d been interrupted. “We’re talking.”

“Aww, we wanted to join you, Rob. It’s not often Nymphadora deigns to join us for a drink.” He pulled up a bar stool and whistled to Edwin and three girls who Tonks recognised from the Magical Law Enforcement office. They’d obviously been able to finish on time and had gone home to get changed. They gazed at Rob and then looked disparagingly at her. Suddenly, Tonks, dressed in her usual scruffy jeans and T shirt, felt blatantly out of place.

She took a swig at her drink again. Merlin, it really was strong! Her head felt slightly swimmy. Edwin Savage and the girls came over and pulled up seats. They had all obviously been friends for a while as they began a riotous conversation about people they knew and places they’d been to. Tonks listened as she sipped her drink; her social life was so limited that she had nothing to contribute. At one point Rob tried to include her in a conversation about holidays, but that reminded her of Romania so she simply smiled and shook her head. One of the girls, a trainee Law Enforcer with dark hair and a thin-lipped smile, raised her eyebrows presumably in surprise that Rob was with someone like Tonks. The girl started to ask Rob questions, thus ensuring that his head was turned towards her and not Tonks. At that, Tonks decided she’d had enough.

“Err, Rob, I really should be going. I’ve got to be up early in the morning,” she said as she stood up, leaning slightly into the table. “Thanks for the drink.”

Rob stood as she left the table. “Tonks,” he said, “I’ll walk you back.”

“No,” she replied. She looked back at the table and saw that the brunette girl was already moving into her place. “I’ll be fine. I can Apparate back. I really do have an early start tomorrow.”

She started to walk to the door but bumped into a table, sending the glasses flying. “Sorry, sorry,” she muttered. She could hear Proudfoot and one of the girls laughing and had to take a deep breath in an attempt to control her temper. She felt a hand on her arm. It was Rob.

“Don’t go,” he murmured. “Stay and talk to me.”

Turning back around to face him, Tonks looked over his shoulder at the table they’d been sitting at. It had been nice to be out for a change, instead of always moping at home, but Proudfoot’s interruption had put paid to any cosy chat she’d hoped to have.

“It’s been fun, Rob,” she began, “but I do have to be up early tomorrow.”

She began to walk to the door again, but he caught her hand. “Another time, yes? And next time I’ll make sure that dickhead can’t join us.” He smiled warmly at her and she saw something approaching admiration in his eyes.

“Um, yes, that would be great. Thanks, Rob,” she replied, slightly breathlessly.

She smiled as she walked out of the pub and Apparated back to her flat.

I’ve just been asked on a second date, she thought. I’m finally having some fun.

***



Tonks woke at four-thirty and hurriedly got washed and dressed so she could Floo to the office. The first person she saw, lounging on her chair, was Rob.

“Uh, hi,” she said. “Are you coming with us?”

“Yep,” he replied. “I’m what is known as an independent witness. I’m there to make sure you don’t plant anything in Malfoy’s house.”

“I wouldn’t do that,” Tonks gasped.

He grinned. “I know that, Tonks, but Lucius Malfoy won’t be able to argue bias if I’m there.”

“Do you know him?” Tonks asked.

“Not well,” Rob replied. “Gus used to hang around with him, I think. He’s very influential.

She heard a familiar clunking sound behind her. “When you’ve quite finished gossiping,” Moody growled, “we can get to work.” He looked her up and down. “Change your hair to something more conventional, Nymphadora. You’re my secret weapon and I’d rather choose my moment to unleash you.”

She stared at him, puzzled by the request, but did as she was asked. Winking at Arthur, she changed her hair to Weasley red. It swung down to her shoulders, and, as she tied it back, she noticed Rob giving her a smile of approval.

At five o’clock on the dot, Moody, Arthur, Rob, and Tonks Apparated to a field just behind Malfoy Manor. Much to Tonks disappointment (because she’d imagined that a raid would involve landing on the front doorstep and screaming Confringio! at the door), they couldn’t Apparate directly into Malfoy Manor or the grounds, as it was protected from wizard intruders. But Moody had worked out that they could sneak in through the back.

Tonks took in the sight of Malfoy Manor. It was an imposing building surrounded by carefully manicured lawns and high hedges. She’d never been here, but Tonks felt as if she knew the place. Her mother had photographs from a ball she’d attended here once. Tonks remembered from when she’d seen the photographs the lavish lifestyle the Malfoys seemed to have. Her mother, photographed with her two sisters when she’d been just seventeen, had been wearing a stunning green silk dress. She’d looked beautiful, but her eyes had showed the sadness she was feeling. Andromeda had told her later that it was at that ball she’d realised that her family would never accept Ted. She’d been forced to dance with partner after partner “ all Purebloods “ until the evening was over.

“None of them made my heart sing, Nymphadora,” Andromeda had told her daughter one night as she tucked her up in bed. “There was only ever one man for me, and that’s your dad.”

Tonks shook her head. ‘Hearts singing’, indeed, she thought, and wondered if her mum made that up so she’d stay away from boys until she was older.

“Tonks,” whispered Arthur, “we’re about to go in.”

Arthur was looking down at her, smiling kindly. He was plainly pleased to be here. She knew that there was a history of enmity between the Weasleys and the Malfoys; Charlie had told her that his dad had never believed Lucius Malfoy’s story about the Imperius curse.

The four of them walked through the field and then snuck through a gap in the bushes. Tonks caught her robe on a branch and cursed as it snagged.

“Hush,” whispered Moody. He didn’t move at all, but simply watched the house. His magical eye was trained on the main window at the back. “Okay, there’s no one up except the house-elf. Let’s get in there.”

He marched purposefully up the lawn; the other three followed. Tonks noticed that Rob had a small notebook and quill with him. At the back door of the house, Moody stopped, listened briefly through the keyhole, and then thumped on the wooden door.

“LUCIUS MALFOY!” he roared. “This is Alastor Moody from the Auror Department. I have authorisation to search your premises. Open up “ IMMEDIATELY!”

Tonks could hear a flurry of footsteps from behind the door before it creaked open. Expecting to be looking at her uncle, Tonks was surprised to be confronted with a house-elf. She’d not had much contact with house-elves, although Mr Crouch occasionally brought one into work to carry his important papers. His house-elf was always neatly dressed and very conscientious, obviously happy with her lot. But this poor creature, she thought, is thoroughly miserable. It had what looked like an old pillow case tied around one shoulder, and a small tear at the side had been patched up. But it wasn’t his apparel that appalled her, rather his demeanour. The terrified looks he shot their way intensified when heavier footsteps were heard coming down the stairs.

“DOBBY!” shouted a man’s voice. “Do not open that door!”

The man stopped as he saw Moody push his way past the house-elf and glared. Arthur followed Moody into the home, and Lucius Malfoy sneered upon seeing him.

“I hope they’re paying you overtime for this, Weasley,” he said snidely. His eyes flicked over to Tonks who was clutching at her torn robes. “Is this another one of your offspring in hand-me-down robes?”

Tonks glared at him. Moody, however, chuckled. “No, Lucius, that’s not one of Arthur’s children. She’s from the Auror Department.”

Lucius’ eyes moved to the fourth member of the group and his manner relaxed.

“Robert Avery,” he drawled. “What brings you here? I heard you were working for the Daily Prophet.

“I am,” replied Rob as he walked into the kitchen. He held out his hand to Lucius. “I’m here as an observer.”

Lucius shook the proffered hand then turned back to Moody. “What ridiculous pretext do you have for bothering me now?”

“Information received, Malfoy,” Moody replied. “We’re going to search your house.” He handed an authorisation letter over to Lucius, who glanced at it. Rufus Scrimgeour’s signature was writ large along the bottom. Lucius glared at Moody again, but moved to one side.

“Search wherever you want, Moody, but please do not disturb my wife until she’s dressed.”

As Tonks followed Moody into the main part of the house, she caught Lucius’ expression. He was smirking very faintly. He looked across at her and his face became a mask, and then he turned his attention to the wretched house-elf still standing at the door.

“Breakfast, Dobby,” he said coldly, “is to be ready on a tray for your Mistress in thirty minutes. I shall take mine down here. NOW!”

They began a rather laborious search in the dining room. Rifling through drawers and cupboards, they found nothing more innocuous than family photograph albums. Tonks picked one up and began to flick through. There was Narcissa leaving for Hogwarts, her white-blond hair tightly plaited, and her robes clean and pressed. Bellatrix, at sixteen, stared proudly at the camera, tossing her hair out her eyes. There seemed to be a hand across the younger girl’s shoulder; Tonks gasped because she knew the hand belonged to her mother. Narcissa had erased her sister from the photograph.

I shouldn’t be surprised, she thought. And I won’t let it upset me.

“Why on earth do the Ministry think my family photograph albums are so important?” said a cool voice from the doorway.

They stopped what they were doing. Arthur stood up and nodded slightly to Narcissa Malfoy who stood imperiously in front of them, sipping from a delicate china tea cup. Tonks put the album back in the drawer and then walked over to a grand piano, on which were several framed photographs.

Narcissa glanced at her, unperturbed. “Do be careful,” she ordered. “Those frames are expensive.”

“Mmm,” replied Tonks as she picked up one of the photographs. “Is this your son?”

Narcissa inclined her head; Tonks looked across at Moody who was now standing by the fireplace, watching the two women. He smiled slightly at her.

“There’s quite a resemblance, isn’t there?” Tonks said boldly. She turned to face Narcissa directly and, screwing up her face, she changed her long red hair to a short, white-blond crop. It emphasised her pale heart shaped face and dark eyes. She held up the photograph of Draco; they could have been twins.

“Who are you?” whispered Narcissa.

“Nymphadora Tonks,” she replied, and held out her hand. “It’s a pleasure to meet you at last, Aunt Cissy.”

At the use of her childhood nickname, Narcissa blanched and dropped the teacup she’d been holding. It shattered on the floor. She walked briskly over to Tonks and snatched the photograph away from her. “You stay away from my son!”

Tonks smiled at her and changed her hair to pink curls. “No touching family reunion, then? That’s a shame; I’d have liked to meet my cousin.”

She stopped talking as Lucius Malfoy had appeared in the doorway. His eyes flickered malevolently over Tonks’ hair and face. “Andromeda’s freak child, I presume.”

Arthur moved swiftly across the room and placed a protective hand on Tonks’ shoulder. She looked at him and smiled. “It’s okay, Arthur. Let Uncle Lucius have his say.”

Lucius’ eyes narrowed as he looked at her again, and then, taking Narcissa’s arm, he turned his back on them. “Come, Narcissa,” he said in clipped tones. “Let them continue their search. You’ll find that it’s a wasted journey though, Moody.”

Moody watched as the Malfoys left, and then swore under his breath. “He wouldn’t let us search if he thought we’d discover something,” he growled. “We’ll give it another hour, but I doubt he’s been careless.” He glanced at Tonks. “Nice job, Nymphadora, if anything was going to unsettle them, it would be you.”

Tonks smiled back. In truth, although she presented a calm front, her insides were churning. There were always idiots like Proudfoot, and suspicious witches like Catalina, but she could cope with them. Narcissa’s fear of her upset her far more than Lucius’ obvious distaste.

They finished up after another two hours. Moody and Arthur walked ahead whilst Rob and Tonks dawdled.

“Did that upset you?” he asked. “Lucius Malfoy calling you a freak.”

She snorted. “I’m used to it, Rob. And they’re not really family to me.” She sighed. “I’ve got my mum, my dad, my nan,”“she closed her eyes, trying to block out the picture that was running through her head of a six-year-old girl clutching at her cousin’s waist as they zoomed through the streets of London“ “and they mean more to me than anything.”

They walked in silence for a while until they reached the field where they would Apparate back to London. Rob shifted on his feet slightly, and then touched her hand.

“I ... err ... I’ve got two tickets for the Holyhead Harpies game, and I know you like Quidditch so I wondered ...”

Tonks gasped excitedly; the match had been sold out weeks ago. “I’d love to go to the match. The Harpies are my favourite team, and I’d given up any hope of getting a ticket.”

“So there’s no jealous lover in the vicinity about to come out and hex me if I ask you out again?” he asked cheerfully.

Tonks tilted her head to one side and smiled a touch ruefully. “No,” she said at last. “There’s no jealous lover anywhere.”
Chapter Endnotes: Aww, come on. Give the girl a break, she deserves some fun, doesn't she?