Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Death, Betrayal and Revenge by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I would once again like to thank my beta for this story, Fiona (periculum). Thank you for your quick work on this.

I do not own anything you may recognize in this story. It all belongs to J. K. Rowling. I am just thankful to get to play in her world.
Walking quickly away from the cottage, Sirius went down into the village. Though this was not an all-wizard village, there were enough wizards here that maybe he could overhear something that would help him.

He wandered around the streets listening in on conversations. As he approached a group of people, he saw Bathilda Bagshot among them. He wandered over slowly.

“Is it true, Bathilda? Is he really gone?” asked one of the men.

“It seems so,” she answered. “But the cost… Lily and James…” she said. Sirius could see tears in her eyes.

“What about their son? Is he safe?” asked a woman.

“Yes, he is fine. Albus sent someone to fetch him right after it happened,” Bathilda answered.

“Is it true, it was one of their best friends that betrayed them?”

“Yes, there is no other way he could have found them. No other way,” she said quietly.

The group stood shaking their heads at the thought of someone close to the family selling them out.

“Do they know where he is?”

“No, Albus sent me an owl earlier and asked me if I had seen him. I had to tell him no. The only person I saw was their other friend, Peter.”

Sirius growled. The group looked around and spotting him, backed up a few paces. Bathilda smiled at him and held her hand out to him. He went over slowly, playing the part of a stray that would be wary of strangers.

“Aren’t you a sweet puppy,” she said as she stroked his head. “So, anyway, I told Albus I had seen Peter and he was so upset. He said he was worried about his mum, worried she would be next. He said he had her already in hiding, but he needed to go check on her.”

When Sirius growled again, she looked down at him. “What’s wrong, boy?” she asked as she looked around to see what was making him growl. Seeing nothing, she patted his head reassuringly.

Sirius wondered if she knew exactly where Peter had gone, but he knew he could not change and ask her. He was supposed to be the Secret Keeper so to everyone, he was the traitor. Only he knew the truth.

“I hope he gets to his mother and keeps her safe,” said the woman who had spoken earlier.

“I think he will. He said she was staying in a Muggle village in Wales he had found several months ago.”

A village in Wales. It had to be the very village he just left a few hours ago. He barked once and then ran back the way he had come. He would Apparate back there and search the village until he found the rat.

He ran directly to the woods, and once back as a man, Disapparated to Wales. He reappeared in the very alley he had gone to that morning. He changed quickly into a dog and began his search.

Darkness had fallen and the streets were almost deserted. When he went past the front door of the pub, he could hear music playing and laughter coming from inside. It seemed even though it was only dinnertime, the pub was doing good business.

He was a block from the pub when he saw something lying in the road in front of him. He trotted over and discovered it was a body, a female body. He nudged her but she didn’t move.

He looked at her face and was shocked to see it was the Fortune Teller from the little pub. He began barking to alert someone. He knew he could not be seen as a man or he would be suspect in whatever happened to her.

Sirius watched as several men approached. He stepped back as they checked the woman.

“Drunk, again,” said one of the men.

“Didn’t even make it home tonight,” answered the second.

Sirius watched as the men each took an arm and pulled her to her feet. Then with a man on each side of her, holding her up, they proceeded to walk up the hill.

Sirius went over to where the woman had been lying and noticed blood on the pavement. He also noticed a scrap of material. He looked carefully at it. It was a piece of blue material just like he found at the cottage. Sirius knew it had to be Peter’s.

Knowing he was close, Sirius resumed his search.

Sirius wandered the streets. How did one find someone when that someone didn’t want to be found? He knew the key was to find his mother.

Sirius turned another corner and saw ahead of him a small church. Sirius wondered if it was possible Peter’s mother was a member. If she was, he could possible find out where she lives from the Pastor.

He trotted to the church and going behind it, transformed back into a man. He walked quickly to the front and through the door. The church was very small, and lit by candles.

The area he was in had three beautiful stained glass windows off to the side. With the subtle lighting in the church, the streetlights shown through the windows and gave the illusion from this distance it was daylight outside.

He could see only a few people kneeing in the pews. Sirius quietly made his way up the side aisle glancing at each. No one took notice of him.

Part of him wanted Peter’s mother to be here, but part of him didn’t. He knew by now, Peter had spread the story to her how he, Sirius, had betrayed his friends. Sirius knew she would not react favourably to him and wanted that scene to be held in private.

He slid into the front pew and waited for the Pastor to make an appearance. He only hoped his appearance wouldn’t make the Pastor hesitant to give him the information he sought.

As Sirius sat quietly, his mind drifted to James and Lily. Silent tears streamed unbidden down his face. He knew now his mistrust in Remus had been misplaced. He put his faith in someone who he had trusted. Someone he never even suspected would betray them.

Guilt swamped him and he fell to his knees. It was his fault James and Lily were gone. It was his fault Harry was now an orphan. He convinced James to use Peter. He was responsible for this tragedy.

Sirius jumped to his feet at the hand on his shoulder. Reflex had him pulling his wand from his back pocket.

“I’m sorry, son. I didn’t mean to startle you. Is there anything I can do to help you?” asked the Pastor.

Sirius quickly slid his wand back into his pocket. He hoped the Pastor wouldn’t ask him about it.

“I hope so, Father,” Sirius began. “I am looking for the mother of a… friend.” Sirius stumbled over the word friend. “There has been a tragedy and I need to find him quickly. I am hoping his mother can help me.” Sirius knew he was stretching the truth just a bit, but other than using the word friend, he had not outright lied.

“I may be able to help you. What is her name?” asked the Pastor.

“Pettigrew,” replied Sirius.

“Ah, yes. She is one of our newest members. Her home is not far from here, just two streets over and down about half a block. It is the blue one with the white shutters,” the Pastor said.

“Do you happen to know if her son is visiting her?” asked Sirius. Could he possible be this close? he wondered.

“I’m not sure. Though, she hasn’t been in today, so I would say it was possible. She doesn’t come in when he is here.”

Sirius noticed the Pastor’s voice seemed to change when he referred to Peter. “Father, I may be mistaken, but do you have a problem with Peter?”

“With Peter? I don’t have a real problem with him, but there is something about him that makes me uneasy,” said the Pastor. “I’m sorry, you did say he was your friend. I shouldn’t be talking bad of anyone.”

“It’s all right, Father. I have a confession to make. Peter was my friend, but he has done something terrible. I need to find him so I can…turn him over to the proper authorities.” Sirius felt a moment’s guilt over this lie. He had no intention of turning Peter over to anyone.

The Pastor looked thoughtfully at him. Sirius did his best not to squirm under his gaze. He felt as if he was being surveyed by Professor McGonagall. He adopted the face of innocence that had almost always worked with McGonagall.

“My son, I truly hope you are telling me the truth. I do not wish to be the cause of another tragedy. I am quite fond of Mrs Pettigrew. She is a lovely woman.”

“Father, I assure you, I mean no harm to her. I only wish to find Peter. Now, if you will excuse me, I must be going. I have a feeling Peter will not hang around here too long.”

Sirius smiled and walked out of the church. He glanced back at the trio of windows. He could see the light flickering in them from the candles. He noticed the Pastor watching him through the centre window.

He walked quickly down the street, and as soon as he turned the corner out of sight of the church, he ducked between two of the houses and changed into a dog.

Sirius ran to where the Pastor had said Peter’s mother lived. He slowed as he spotted the house. He knew Peter would recognize him even in this form. He went into the yard a few doors away and went around to the back. He was glad luck was finally with him and he could cut through the yards to the Pettigrew house.

He slowly made his way through the yards and silently slunk into the backyard of the Pettigrew’s. He could see a light on in the kitchen and a woman standing in the window looking out.

He didn’t know if Peter ever told his mother about their Animagus forms, so Sirius stopped and waited until she turned from the window before approaching the house. The window was low enough he could stand on his hind legs and peer in. He didn’t see Peter in the kitchen and there was only one place set at the small table.

As he looked around, Mrs Pettigrew spotted him. She smiled and came over to the window. Sirius dropped back down on to all fours. Sliding the window open, Mrs Pettigrew leaned out to look down at him.

“Are you hungry, boy? Well, come around back and I’ll give you something to eat,” she said and she shut the window.

Sirius thought quickly. It seemed she didn’t recognize him, so he decided to play along and trotted to the back door. As she opened the door for him, he woofed softly and brushed past her and into the house.

He went over to the fireplace and curled up, resting his head on his paws. He knew how to play the part of a loveable stray. It had served him well while doing work for the Order.

“Not hungry then? Just tired and cold? Well, I am about to have my dinner and I don’t mind the company.” She went to the stove and opened the oven. Carrying a dish to the table, she set it down. She sat down herself and began to eat, glancing every now and then at him.

“My son had a dog when he was little. I was just telling him this morning, I would like to get another one. It would be nice to have company. Peter, that’s my son, isn’t around much. Some of the things he is mixed up in…” She stopped abruptly when Sirius rose to his feet, the hair on his back standing on end.

“What’s wrong, boy?” she asked. “There is no one here. It’s okay, just you and me, nothing to fear,” she said reassuringly.

Sirius walked over to her. He looked up at her. He needed to look around and see if he could find any indication of where Peter may have gone, but if she was rambling about him, then maybe she would let something slip.

He sat down at her feet and hoped she would continue to talk. He had to keep his temper under control.

“So as I was saying, my son isn’t around much. He came last night and told me he may have to go away for a while. He wouldn’t tell me where he was going, only that he would get in touch with me when he could.” She stood and took her plate over to the sink.

Then, smiling at him, she went to the door into the next room, opening it, she called to him. Sirius got up and went through the door. He found himself in a small sitting room.

On the table in front of the sofa, he saw several letters. Thankful he retained all knowledge he had as a man while in dog form, he went over and looked down at the letters sitting there.

The first thing he noticed was they were sent using Muggle mail. None of them seemed to have come by owl. He read the return addresses quickly as staring at letters was not normal dog behaviour.

Mrs Pettigrew sat on the sofa and picked up one of the letters. “These are from a Muggle friend of Peter’s. He said he may go visit her before he went on his latest mission. Oh, listen to me, talking about Muggles and missions, like you would understand such things.” She laughed as she threw the letter back down on the table.

Sirius quickly read the address and then went to the front door. He scratched lightly at it.

“Ready to leave so soon?” she asked. “Well, all right then. Come back again to visit.” She opened the door and Sirius ran out and into the night.

He had his next clue as to where Peter may be. He needed to get there quickly.

Sirius appeared at the end of a long hallway. He knew for this, he had to stay in human form. He also knew Peter though not expecting him, would be on alert and ready for an attack. He drew his wand and held it down close to his leg.

Walking down the long hall, he noticed a young girl standing almost at the end of the hall. Behind her, Sirius could see an open apartment. As he got closer, he noticed the door had been blown off its hinges and lay on the floor.

Sirius stopped several feet from the girl. She was staring at the blank wall singing softly to herself. Sirius took a few cautious steps towards the girl.

‘Hi,” he said softly, not wanting to startle her.

Her only answer was her singing got a bit louder.

“I was wondering if you could help me find a friend of mine.” Sirius said friend without stumbling this time. Perhaps lying was coming easier to him with each frustrating hour. “He was supposed to come here to visit the lady who lives in that apartment behind you.”

Her singing stopped. She looked at him and shook her head. Sirius could see the fear in her eyes.

“No, you can’t help me, no, you haven’t seen him, or no, he isn’t here?” Sirius asked. Though he tried to keep his voice calm and reassuring, he knew some of his frustration and anger were seeping into his tone.

“He went away. He came and took Miss Carole away,” she said. “Then…” She dropped her eyes before continuing, “they came. The scary ones in costumes like Peter’s.”

Though Sirius could feel no wind, her hair began blowing around her face. Sirius realized she was a young witch. He wondered briefly if her parents knew what she was. He didn’t have time to worry about that, it wasn’t his problem. Finding Peter, that was all that mattered.

“When you say he came, who do you mean? What did he look like?” asked Sirius.

“The one who always comes to see Miss Carole. He is funny. He gives me candy,” she said and a smile lit her face. Then as fast as the smile came, she frowned. “He was upset, he didn’t give me candy tonight. He told me to go home and stay there. Why did he yell at me?” she asked innocently.

‘I don’t know, sweetheart. Did you go home?” Sirius asked.

“No, I went down by my door, but I saw them leave. Then those bad men came and knocked the door down. I don’t know where they went though, they didn’t come back out.” She looked nervously at the fallen door.

Could the Death Eaters still be in the apartment? Sirius doubted it. No doubt they Apparated from inside and this little girl didn’t see it.

‘Do you know where Peter and Miss Carole went?” Sirius asked.

She shook her head. “They just left. Miss Carole didn’t want to go; she kept saying she wanted to stay here.”

“Sweetheart, I need you to do me a favour. I want you to go home, go inside and stay in there.” When she shook her head, Sirius sighed. He didn’t have much experience with small children.

“I need to go in there,” he said pointing down the hall. “I need to make sure those bad men are gone. I want you to go home so you are safe. Okay?” He smiled, hoping to reassure her.

She looked up at him, studying him intently. After a few moments, she nodded her head. Then began singing again as she skipped lightly down the hall. Sirius saw her enter an apartment close to where he had Apparated.

Sirius walked slowly into the apartment. ”Homenum revelio”, Sirius said. When the spell revealed no other humans in the apartment, he proceeded to look around. It was obvious the Death Eaters had been looking for information as to where Peter could have gone.

Another dead end, thought Sirius. He had no idea where to go next. He sat down on the sofa and tried to think of somewhere he could go to look for Peter.

He looked at the fallen door in front of him. Standing, he walked over and stood the door up then after making sure no one was in the hall, used magic to reattach the door.

He closed it and turned the lock. Casting a charm on the door insured he would not be surprised by a wizard entering. He needed time to think. He was going in circles and still was no closer to finding the rat than he was when he left Godric’s Hollow.

Sitting back down on the sofa, Sirius went over everything and every place in his head he had been in the past almost twenty-four hours. It seemed as if Peter knew every move he was going to make and made sure he was gone by the time Sirius figured out where to look.

Sirius started laughing. It was quite funny he was being out manoeuvred by Peter. Peter, who always trailed behind him and James, was now leading the chase and Sirius was the one trailing behind.

There had to be somewhere he hadn’t thought to check. Someone Peter would run to for protection. It was obvious to Sirius that Peter intended for Sirius to take the blame for James and Lily.

Of course, thought Sirius, he would go to Remus. Remus thought Sirius was the Secret Keeper. Peter would feel safe being there. He would figure Remus would believe he was in danger from Sirius.

Sirius stood; he knew where to go next. He was going to see Remus. Sirius knew it would take a lot to convince Remus that it had been Peter who caused the deaths of James and Lily.

Sirius undid the charm on the door, then Apparated to the outskirts of London where Remus had a small flat. He appeared in a small wooded area a short walk from Remus’.

Sirius debated on whether to assume his Animagus form or not. Deciding since both Remus and Peter would recognize him immediately and he would be defenceless in that form, he stayed the way he was.

He kept to the shadows as he walked. Remus had a basement flat in an otherwise abandoned building. Sirius began to go down the staircase which lead to the walkway to Remus’ place.

As he went down the stairs, he noticed the blood. There was blood on the walls as well as on the bottom steps. Sirius instantly became alarmed. Rushing forward, wand raised, he searched for whoever left the trail of blood.

Seeing a body ahead of him, Sirius began to run towards it, half afraid of what he would find. He realized as he got closer, it was not Remus. It was a man, whether Muggle or wizard, Sirius didn’t know.

Sirius felt for a pulse even though he knew the man was dead. What confused Sirius was it looked as if he had been ravaged by a werewolf. Sirius knew the full moon was not for ten days. This didn’t make sense.

Sirius stood and looked down at the man. He is dead, thought Sirius, just like James. Dead. James dead. Lily dead. Dead. Peter killed them. Dead, dead, dead. the same thought kept running through his mind. Over and over the word dead kept repeating itself. Sirius could not think of anything else.

“NO!” screamed Sirius. Without thinking of where he was going, Siruis closed his eyes, turned and Disapparated.

He opened his eyes and found himself in the back yard of the cottage at Godric’s Hollow. Again, he screamed, ‘NO!” He closed his eyes and Disapparated.

Sirius again opened his eyes this time to find himself standing outside the gates to Hogwarts. He stood staring through the gates for a few moments before turning again, tears streaming from his eyes.

This time he found himself in the alley behind the bar in Wales. He had no conscious thought of this destination when he Disapparated away from Hogwarts. His only thought had been to get away from the pain. His little side trip to Godric’s Hollow had broken something in him.

Find Peter.

Find the traitor.

Kill Peter.

Kill the traitor.

Find Peter, find the traitor.

Kill Peter, kill the traitor.

Find Peter, find the traitor. Kill Peter, kill the traitor.

Find Peter, kill Peter, find Peter, kill Peter. Over and over these thoughts kept running through his mind until they became one thought, one goal, to find and kill Peter.

He no longer cared about finding Peter to turn him in; he wanted no less than his death. James was gone and Peter would pay the ultimate price for his betrayal. Sirius would see to that. If it was the last thing he ever did.

He knew where he had to go, Peter’s mother would know where he was and she was going to tell him. Sirius changed into his Animagus form and raced to the house a few blocks away.

He once again approached the house from the neighbour’s yard. He spotted the open window and quietly went over to stand under it. He could hear voices from inside. He recognized the voice of Peter’s mother instantly. The other female voice he could only assume belonged to the Muggle woman, Carole.

“I don’t understand why Peter thinks I would be in danger,” Carole said. “I have never even met his friends. No one from his world knows about me.”

“If Peter thinks you would be safer staying here, then this is where you will stay. At least until he tells us it is safe for you to return home.”

Sirius heard someone walk towards the window. Peter’s mother glanced out the window and spotted Siruis. “Oh, you’ve come back, then? Well, come round the back door and I’ll let you in.”

Sirius could not believe his luck. He thought for sure Peter would have warned his mother about letting a big black dog in the house. As Sirius rounded the corner, he saw a tall blonde woman approaching the door quickly. She pulled the door from Peter’s mother and slammed it shut.

“NO!” she yelled as she placed her hand against the milky coloured glass in the door. Sirius watched as she pressed her long nailed fingers against the glass to keep the door shut.

“Peter said not to let anyone in,” she said. “He made a point of telling me not to let in any dogs that came round the house. He said the person who was after him could change into a dog.”

“He didn’t tell me that. Besides, that dog has been here before. Just this morning, in fact.” Peter’s mother said. “Where did Peter go anyway?”

“Into town, something about talking to someone who might have seen the man who is after him.”

Sirius didn’t hesitate, he took off running. Just outside of the main street in town he stopped. He changed out of his Animagus form. When he caught up with Peter, he wanted to be able to kill him and for that, he needed his hand to hold his wand.

Pulling his wand, he held it close to his side where it wouldn’t be noticed. He walked down the sidewalk looking everywhere for the rat. Halfway down the street, he spotted the very person he had been searching for.

Before he could rush across the street to Peter, Peter spotted him and stopped in his tracks. Sirius watched as he put his hand inside his coat then drew it out and put it behind his back. Sirius had been sure he had been about to draw his wand.

“Lily and James, Sirius, How could you? Our best friends, you betrayed them!” Peter yelled as he crossed the street towards him stopping a few feet in front of Sirius.

Sirius was so taken back by this accusation, he was momentarily speechless. Then he burst out laughing. “I killed them? Well, I guess in a way you are right,” he said all laughter dying from his voice.

“They are dead, and you killed them! YOU KILLED LILY AND JAMES!” Peter yelled. “I will kill you for betraying them!”

Sirius raised his wand towards Peter. But before he could cast the curse that would end Peter’s life, several things happened. He watched as Peter cut off his own finger, tossing it towards Sirius, then instantly there was a loud explosion behind Peter and he saw him transform into a rat. The rat scurried down the now huge gaping hole in the street leaving his bloodstained robes behind.

Sirius oblivious to the death and destruction around him stood laughing hysterically at how he had been out manoeuvred by a rat.

A few minutes later when officials from the Ministry of Magic arrived, Sirius was still laughing. He offered no resistance to the twenty members of the Magical Enforcement Squad who had been summoned to take him into custody.

For the next twelve years, Sirius Black sat in Azkaban knowing he was at fault for the death of his best friend. Until one day, he saw a picture of the rat and knew he had to fulfil the promise to protect Harry. It was that one picture that gave him the will to escape, to protect Harry and to finish the one mission he had failed in doing; to kill the traitor.