Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Albus Potter and the Triwizard Tournament by majestic_ginny

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I'm so sorry for the ultra long wait, guys. I had my exams and I had such a horrible case of writers wlock on this chapter for no reason. However, to make up for this, I have a super long chapter! And as added bonus, you get the First task. No complaints now, then?

On the morning of the First Task, Albus refused to get up from bed. He knew that the sooner he woke up, the sooner he was going to die.

–Dude, don’t worry,” Andrew said exasperatedly, pushing Albus. –It’s just a Kraken, what can it do?”

–Yeah,” said Scorpius nonchalantly, pulling the blankets off of Albus with a mighty tug. –The most it can do is eat you up. But don’t worry, he’ll throw you up anyway; I bet you wouldn’t taste good enough.”

–Gee, I’d rather have that bloody Kraken than friends like you,” Albus mumbled, sitting up, though still refusing to open his eyes.

Scorpius smirked his trademark smirk. –That’s the spirit. Now get up already! You’ve only got half an hour to eat, and then you’ll have to go with the other champions.”

Albus got up glumly and, once he was ready, went down to the Great Hall with his friends to get some food.

But eating proved to be more difficult than anything. His stomach felt hollow, and he felt nauseous. His mouth refused to chew or swallow anything. The other students weren’t helping either; every now and then, someone would walk up to him and say –Good luck, Potter” in a solemn voice that made him feel as though they were thinking that they’d never see him again.

–Ignore them, Albus,” Rose said when he voiced his thoughts. –Eat up!” she added as she dumped two eggs and a sausage into his plate.

–Yesh, they are rea’y goo’,” Andrew said, stuffing his mouth with bread. Scorpius rolled his eyes at Andrew’s lack of common sense.

Albus, however, did not notice his friends. Instead, his eyes were fixed on the doors of the Great Hall and the scene unfolding in front of them.

James and Louis marched into the Great Hall, while a large, blobby balloon shaped object floated along behind them. As Albus looked at it closely, he realized, with horror, that it was a blimp-version of him.

James, who looked positively ecstatic, was shouting, –Albus Potter for Triwizard Champion! Come on, folks! Show your support for the youngest Hogwarts champion ever! Buy Albus Potter merchandise - we have everything ranging from flags that yell his name to Al Potter Bobble-heads! Just twenty five sickles each! Come on people!”

Beside him was a beaming Louis, who had a large box in his arms. On top of his head was a red-and-gold hat with the words –Al Potter, Gryffindor Champion” written on it. When James mentioned the products, Louis put his hand in the crate and pulled out the objects.

–Merlin,” Albus said weakly as many of the Gryfffindors and some Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws rushed to the duo. –These two are gonna make me a laughingstock.”

Beside him, Rose, Scorpius and Andrew laughed. –Don’t worry, mate,” Scorpius said, patting him on the back. –They’re just trying to boost your moral support!”

Before Albus could reply, however, Professor Longbottom walked up to him. –Time to go, Al,” he said, trying to smile. Albus noticed that he looked rather tensed.

Looking around, he could see that the other two champions were making their way out of the Great Hall along with their Heads of School. Gulping, he got up from his seat.

–Best of luck, Al,” Rose said, getting up and hugging him tightly.

–Don’t worry mate, it’ll be fine,” Scorpius told him, hugging him once Rose had released Al.

–Yeah, we’ll root for you, promise,” Andrew said, patting him on the back hard.

Albus managed to smile weakly. –Thanks guys,” he mumbled. –See you soon... I hope.” His stomach felt hollow and his mouth turned dry. Now he wished that he had actually eaten something.

Putting an arm around his shoulders, Professor Longbottom led him out of the Great Hall. Albus’ leg felt like jelly. He knew he wasn’t ready for the task. He wished he could just disappear.

–Did you figure out what the parchment said, Al?” Professor Longbottom asked him abruptly.

–Yeah,” Albus replied, looking up at him. –Professor, I’m scared, that Kraken --”

–Ssh, not so loud,” Longbottom interrupted, refusing to meet his eyes. –You don’t have to worry. All you have to do is send up sparks and we’ll do something. Your dad’s gonna be there, he won’t let anything happen to you.”

Albus nodded tersely.

The sky outside was very gloomy and the weather chilly, as if the weather was an omen for what was about to happen. Lightning flashed quickly, followed by a deep rumble of thunder. Albus wrapped his arms around himself as a cold draft of wind blew past them.

When they arrived in front of the lake, Albus’ jaws dropped. All around the lake rose tall towers supported by wooden scaffolding. Albus craned his neck to look up: on top of each tower was a box full of chairs - presumably for the spectators. High up in one of the stands was a huge panel that was displaying what looked to Albus like the inside of the lake - this was probably how everyone would see what the champions were doing. But that was not all; the thing that had caught his attention was the usually still water of the lake - only it wasn’t so still anymore. The water was frothy and dark, and tall waves came crashing onto the lakeside. The lake was full of turbulence, which was strongest at the centre. Albus could swear that he could hear a deep, gurgling voice from there. A chill ran down his spine.

–its okay, Al,” Professor Longbottom assured him, noticing his expression. –This one is just a baby; it’s not strong enough to kill.”

–That’s not a very comforting thought, professor,” Albus muttered as a large explosion occurred near the middle of the lake. Instantly, a huge vortex formed, sucking up air and water into it with a loud, hissing noise similar to that of a draining bathtub. If a baby was doing all that, he couldn’t imagine what an adult would do.

Without saying anything else, Professor Longbottom rushed him towards a small, khaki tent near the edge of the lake, furthest away from all the spectators’ towers. The inside of the tent had been magically expanded, however, so that it resembled a small sitting room. It was much warmer than the icy atmosphere outside. There were a few plush chairs surrounding a small table, and a small bed was set in one corner. Six of the chairs had already been occupied by the other two champions and their heads of schools, Professor McGonagall and Mr Bowman. Albus smiled weakly at them. Professor Longbottom whispered a hasty –Good luck”, patted his shoulder and went out of the tent.

–So we’re all here, then?” Mr Bowman asked, getting up. He wore a deep red robe with golden linings; Albus had a shrewd idea that he wasn’t being as partial as he was supposed to be. Mr Bowman seemed to have seen that Albus had noticed his attire, for he winked slightly, giving a small smile. –Excellent. I’m sure you all are very eager to know what this task is, right? Well, as you all know by now, the first task will be held inside the Lake. So that means you three will be fighting a...” he paused, looking dramatically at the champions, –a sea-monster.”

Fahim frowned. Stephanie’s eyes were wide.

–In there is a creature known as a Kraken,” Mr Bowman continued. –Normally these can take on entire Muggle battleships single-handedly - however,” he said hastily, looking at the expressions of the three, –This one is only a baby. It can’t harm you much. Although I must say, it’s extremely hungry, so stay away from his teeth.

–Now, the rules. The only thing you can use for this task is your wand, nothing else. You can attack the Kraken, immobilize it, or do anything to it except kill it or cause it irreversible damage. That means that you cannot cut off its tentacles or poke out its eye. Keep in mind that it is still an infant.”

An infant, yeah right, Albus thought, remembering the whirlpool and the chaotic waves.

Mr Bowman conjured a small, velvet pouch and extended it towards the champions. –Pick out one each,” he said, smiling.

Stephanie put her hand inside and drew out a small key with the number –two” hanging around it. Fahim took out another key, to which was attached a large –one”. Knowing what was next, Albus reached into it and took out the last key. The small paper number around it was –three”.

–This is the serial in which you shall go on to face the Kraken. The key is to open a box - or should I say, a chest.” He smiled mysteriously, looking amused. –There are three chests down there - you open the one your key fits into and bring the contents out. Any questions?”

–Where are these chests located?” Albus asked.

–Ah, now that’s for you to find out, isn’t it, Mr Potter?” Mr Bowman said, the corners of his lips twitching, his eyes winkling. –You all are going to enjoy this task thoroughly.”

Albus did not have a good feeling about that. He was going to die, after all.

Loud chattering could now be heard outside. Most of the crowd had started to arrive.

–So, good luck everyone!” Mr Bowman boomed. –Now if you’ll excuse us, your Heads and I have to go. Mr Raiyan, when you hear the firing of the cannon, please come out.” He smiled at them and spun around, his cloak billowing as he walked out. The Heads of the Schools wished them luck and followed Mr Bowman out, leaving the three champions.

Stephanie sighed and put her face in her hands. –A Kraken. What was I even thinking?”

–Well, at least this one isn’t fully grown yet,” Fahim said glumly, twirling his wand in his fingers. –The big ones break up entire ships, you know that?”

–They say that a Kraken is what creates the Bermuda Triangle,” Stephanie said, looking up. As Albus looked closer at her, he noticed that she had dark bags under her eyes. –And from what I saw a while back, I don’t think they’re wrong.”

They could now here Mr Bowman’s magically magnified voice speaking to the crowd.

Fahim stood up and started walking, his brows furrowed in concentration as he ran a hand through his mane of dark hair. He was murmuring something to himself. Seeing him, Albus felt nervous. If a fifth or sixth year student could not figure out what to do, he doubted he would have much chance. At least he had a head start, though. All he had to do was -

A deafening noise was heard outside, followed by a soft whoosh. The cannon had been fired. The crowd started cheering madly, waiting for their first champion.

–Good luck,” Stephanie and Albus said in unison. Fahim tried to give a small smile, but it ended up looking like a grimace. Nodding, he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He whispered something that Albus could not hear. Fahim opened his eyes and, without looking back, strode out of the tent.

The next few minutes were perhaps the most intense moments of his life. As the crowd roared and gasped, Albus wondered what was going on. Fahim, it seemed, was having a hard time getting to the chest. There was a loud splashing noise, followed by shrill screams coming from the specatators. There were some deafening explosions and subsequently a high-pitched wailing noise. The crowd was now cheering.

Albus looked at Stephanie and saw that her eyes were closed, a vexed expression on her face. She was murmuring a list of spells to herself. Closing his own eyes, Albus remembered whatever Rose had told him a few days back.

”Aquaspirento. I found it in Modern Magical Innovations. Don’t forget the spell, Al, It’ll help you breath underwater. Point the wand at your face and say it - After you’re in the water.”

At last, there was a loud plopping noise like a fish jumping out of water. The cheering from the crowd was deafening. Albus could now distinctly hear Mr Bowman saying, –Mr Raiyan, the Elmbark Champion, had managed to get the contents of his chest from the Kraken! Now the judges will announce his score!” There was a short pause, in which Albus assumed the judges showed the score they had given him, followed by more cheers and some catcalls from the audience.

Fahim did not come back. It was now Stephanie who got up and started pacing, waiting for her turn.

–Hey, don’t worry,” Albus said, trying to make some conversation. –You’ll be okay.”

–Thanks,” Stephanie replied tersely, clutching at her long, sandy hair. –It took Raiyan so long to get the thing, though; I wonder how long I’m gonna take doing this damned thing. It’ll be a nightmare.”

They heard the cannon shot for the second time that day.

Stephanie groaned, walking towards the exit. Albus wished her good luck. She turned back and nodded once, before walking firmly out through the exit.

Stephanie took even longer than Fahim had taken, and Albus sat fidgeting in his chair, too nervous to do anything else. Every now and then the crowd would scream in terror or cheer encouragingly. What had he been thinking, agreeing to compete? He should have just refused, and if no one had been ready to listen, he would have Flooed straight home.

So when the final cannon shot boomed, he was in half a mind to walk up to the judges and forfeit.

Gulping, he stumbled towards the exit of the tent; his legs refused to take any step forward. He was not going into the lake. Instead, he was going to go to his dad and the other judges and quit. Yes, he had no reason to be upset. Feeling confident, he walked out into the roaring crowd.

The sky was clearer. Much clearer. When the sun rays hit him, he felt dazed. He thought his eardrums had just burst from all the cheering and applause from the audience. And that was when it hit him. They were cheering for him. Not only his family. Not only the Gryffindors. Everyone. Everyone present was calling out his name. Craning his neck to look up, he thought he saw the sea of flaming red hair of all the Weasleys huddled together. The cheering seemed to be loudest from them. Without realizing it, Albus grinned up at them. He looked towards the judges table and saw his aunt and his father, clapping along with the rest of the judges. His father smiled at him, a smile filled with pride. When his own eyes met his father’s brilliant green one, he knew he had to do this.

He quickly stripped off his robes to reveal a baggy T-shirt and swimming trunks, and started walking into the lake. The water was icy cold, feeling like piercing daggers in his skin. Albus shivered instinctively, though refusing to walk away. He waded into the lake until he was neck deep and, taking a large gulp of breath, plunged under the water.

The rumbling noise from the crowd died out instantly, and he felt a popping noise in his ears. The only sound he heard was the lapping of his own limbs against the water. Everything was foggy. Even with his glasses on, all he could see was a misty haze of murky brown and green. Pulling out his wand, he murmured the spell Rose had taught him. ”Aquaspirento.”

Instantly, he felt the cool water rush into his lungs. They were cold, yes, but the icy sensation that Albus once felt when he almost drowned never came. Instead it was like... like breathing air.

He could breathe in water.

Relief swept over Albus. So he had gotten rid of the main problem, but his vision was still foggy. He had no idea what lay three feet ahead of him.

From somewhere to his left, he heard a deep, grumbling noise. Feeling a flicker of fear, he looked at his wand and whispered, –Lumos.” Light flooded out from the tip of his wand, allowing him to see further ahead now. He swam deeper in, further away from the light filtering down from above. The grumbling voice was closer now... much deeper and menacing. Albus suddenly felt a huge surge of pressure from behind him -

–AARGH!!!”

A long tentacle had wrapped around his torso, pulling him deeper into the water. Albus tried to call for help, but all that came out of his mouth was a low, gurgling noise and lots of bubbles. Terrified, he desperately gripped at the tentacle, trying to force to off him. He poked it with his wand and clawed it, but its skin was too thick. Somewhere below him, he saw a pair of deep yellow eyes and a row of sharp, pointed teeth.

Adrenaline rushed through his veins. He pointed the wand at it and gargled, –Reducto!”

For a second, Albus felt as if it worked. The Kraken released him from its vice-grip. Just as Albus was about to thank Merlin, however, it grabbed him again, more ferociously, and yanked him upwards. He felt his skin burn as he was propelled through the water with so much force. The suddenly, he felt himself break out of the water as he was thrust into the warm air.

Albus screamed at the top of his voice as he slowly lost momentum and started to fall back towards the water. He heard gasps and screams as he plummeted into the freezing cold water for the second time.

This time, however, Albus was alert. –Impedimenta!” He yelled, pointing at the monster. –Stupefy! Reducto!”

Jets of coloured flew out of his wand and made contact with the giant octopus. It seemed to have worked, for the Kraken seemed to sink back into the shadows.

Feeling alleviated, Albus continued travelling further into the dark waters, looking for any sign of the chest or anything that could lead to it. He looked left and right, His ears straining to pick up any noise emanated from the Kraken. Everything was eerily calm, he thought. Shouldn’t the monster try to attack him?

It took a few more minutes till he saw it. It was a dark outline at first. Then, as he went closer, it turned into a dark mass. It was long, kind of like a giant sea animal resting on the floor. As he went nearer still, he understood what it was. He gasped.

It was a giant ship, half buried in the sandy lake-bottom. Probably decades underwater had made it the perfect habitat for various water plants and seaweed, and not to mention, fishes and other aquatic animals. The mast was broken and the wood was starting to rot in various places. In one such place, the wood had completely broken off to reveal a large spacious interior. Albus propelled towards it.

The Chest thing must be in there, he thought. Hadn’t his dad and Aunt Hermione told him so many Muggle stories about sunken ships carrying treasure chests full of gold? This looked like one of the possible candidates for such a vessel.

As Albus swam into the dark cavity past an agitated shoal of fish, he failed to notice the large tentacle sneaking its way towards him.

There was nothing much inside, except for a large chair and corroding iron bars all around. Dark green plants had found their way in here as well. One of the walls was covered in some grey, scabby sort of material that looked like premature reef. Tiny little tentacles protruded from them and swayed in the water, making Albus feel sort of sick. He looked around. There! He thought triumphantly, spotting a tiny glimmer of gold. It was coming from one of the recesses that lay further inside. Pointing his wandlight at it, he swam forwards.

When he reached it, the first thing he saw wasn’t the three golden chests. No, he saw a dark, looming shadow on the wooden wall ahead. Feeling the blood drain out of his face, he turned around.

Without giving him any time to react, the Kraken lunged towards him and throttled his throat.

He could hardly breathe; the Kraken’s grip was way too strong. He felt his eyes pop out of their socket as he scrabbled at the tentacle strangling him.

I’m going to die, were his thoughts when he closed his eyes. Somewhere above him, he could imagine screams of terror coming from his family as they saw his life being squeezed out by a monster.

Then suddenly, he felt a surge of heat at the tip of his fingers. His eyes flew open as he saw his wand moving towards the Kraken’s tentacles by themselves. Deep red sparks shot out of the tip, scalding the Kraken’s skin. With a terrible, piercing shriek, the Kraken let go of him, violently shaking its tentacles. Albus saw that the point where his spell hit it was oozing blood.

Reacting instinctively, he shouted various curses at it, trying to repel him away. As the Kraken lurched backwards a bit, Albus grappled inside his T-shirt with one hand, trying to locate the key while shooting curses with the other. Once he found it, he scrammed towards the three chests. The rightmost one was already open; probably Fahim or Stephanie, he thought. This was good for him, though, because now he had a fifty-fifty chance of getting it right on his first try.

The Kraken seemed to be a bit exhausted. Taking the chance, Albus rammed the key into the middle box, forcing it to turn. Merlin help me, he thought. The Kraken was taking deep breaths now, watching Albus through its bloodshot eyes.

It was no use; the key wouldn’t nudge. Cursing, Albus yanked it out and shoved it into the other keyhole. This time the key budged a little bit. Years of rust was preventing it from functioning properly. Albus twisted it with all his might. Just as the Kraken finally lunged at him again, he had heard the satisfying click of the lock.

–Impedimenta!” Albus gargled. The jet hit the top of the Kraken’s head, slowing it down a bit. –Expelliarmus! get away!”

Lunging back at the box, he pulled the lid open and saw the most beautiful turquoise gem. It seemed to radiate with warmth, giving off a soft, blue light. He had not time to admire it now, though, so Albus lifted it out of the box gently and tucked it into his T-shirt pocket.

Turning around, he saw that the Kraken had gone. However, this made him nervous. Why would it go all of a sudden? Hesitantly, he crept out of the gap in the side of the ship and started to go upwards, towards the tiny point of light that he knew was home.

Further up he went. The water around him started to get lighter, and the crushing pressure on his body was reducing. He felt released. In a few moments, he would break out of the surface and -

Out of the blue, a large tentacle wrapped itself around his legs and tugged him down. His feet were near the sharp row of teeth. The Kraken snapped its jaw, trying to get a bit off of his feet. Albus let of a muted cry of terror as he stared into the yellow eyes of the giant octopus.

This time, however, he did not lose his head. Pointing his wand for the last time at the tentacle, he shouted, –Relashio!”

The tentacle’s grip slackened as the Kraken let out another heart-wrenching cry. Feeling sorry for the animal and hoping that the Veterinary-wizards could heal it, he pointed his wand at his own feet and muttered, –Propellus.

Like a torpedo, he shot forwards and broke out of the cold water for the second time, this time landing with a large thump onto the shore.

And that’s when he heard all the applause.

He, Albus Severus Potter, had done it.
Chapter Endnotes: So what did you think? Please review! The First task deserves it, right? ;) --Nadia.