Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Visits From Fred by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: It has been many a year since Fred Weasley died. Now, as a new generation of children are growing up, Fred decides it is time for a quick Christmas Eve visit to make sure an absent Christmas tradition lives on.

This is for all the readers of this story as a special Christmas present to say thank you for your reviews and reading the entire story.


I do not own anything or anyone you recognise in this story. It all belongs to J.K. Rowling. I am just thankful to be able to play in her world.

Molly sat alone on the sofa staring at the overly decorated Christmas tree in front of her. She smiled remembering the grandchildren’s happy faces and their laughter as they hung the ornaments. Somehow, by the time the last bauble was hung, all twelve grandchildren and the child she considered a grandchild as much as the others had been working together.

She was surprised there had been no tears, no fights, just laughter and fun. The older children helped the younger. There was now just one last thing to place on the tree. For many years, she had adamantly insisted this no longer existed.

In truth, the original didn’t. Shortly after that Christmas, she had discovered what her sons had done and reversed the magic. The very next Christmas, she found this fake statue in the box of Christmas things and for years, it had sat in its rightful place on top of the tree.

Fifteen years ago, she had taken it from the box and hid it in the deepest, darkest part of her closest. She told everyone it had been lost. Over the years, it was just a passing memory, quickly put out of mind when thought of.

Perhaps it would have stayed buried in her closet forever had Lily’s little bunny not found its way in there. While trying to coax the scared rabbit out, her hand had closed over it. Memories had flooded her mind and she found instead of crying, she was laughing over them.

“The tree looks a bit bare,” came a voice from the shadows.

“Oh, George, I thought you had taken the children and gone home,” she said as she turned toward the voice. She gasped as the figure came into the light. “Fred,” she whispered.

“Hi, Mum. Miss me?” he asked smiling.

“Oh Fred, of course I have missed you,” she said, tears rolled down her cheeks as she reached out to hug her son.

“I know, Mum,” Fred answered. “But it has become easier, hasn’t it?”

“Yes…and no,” Molly replied truthfully. “Not a day goes by that I don’t think about you, but the memories…the memories are easier to handle now.”

Fred smiled. “That is how it is supposed to be,” he answered. “What do you have there?” he asked.

“The gnome figure that used to sit on the top of the tree,” she answered handing it to him.

“Ah, yes. This is the one we made for you when you set the other one free,” Fred said.

“So, it was you two who made this. I always wondered. I suspected as much though,” Molly said smiling.

“Mum, are you happy?” Fred asked.

Molly looked startled at the question. Was she happy? she wondered. “Yes, for the most part. There is still a hole in this family that can never be filled, but…” Her voice trailed off guiltily.

Fred patted her shoulder and smiled. “It is okay, Mum. It is okay to be happy. I want you to be. Those kids…well, they are great, aren’t they?”

“Yes, they are wonderful. It is so much fun to have them around. I look at them and each one reminds me of one of you kids. Roxanne-”

“Is just like me,” Fred said. “Freddie is more like Percy, though. Strange how that happened.”

“Yes. I think it is revenge for the both of you always picking on him,” Molly answered. “Rose is like her mother, smart as a whip, that one. Hugo is so much like Ginny. He is starting to stand up to James when he picks on him. I see Harry in Albus, but I see Harry’s dad in James. He has the devil-may-care recklessness that James had. Lily, well, I think she is like me.” Molly blushed.

“You’re right about that, Mum. She is definitely like you. Now, Lucy, she is more like George and Molly-”

“Is Ron, through and through. Victoire is her mother; she may seem like a pampered princess at first glance, but there is deep loyalty and love in her. Dominique is like your dad, Louis, well, I think he is like Charlie, he loves dragons and all animals,” Molly explained.

“Poor Bill, no one takes after him,” said Fred.

“Oh, I wouldn’t say that,” said Molly knowingly. “I don’t quite know how it happened, but Teddy is like Bill. Perhaps it has something to do with…well, you know,” Molly said, her voice breaking off, embarrassed.

“Maybe,” said Fred thoughtfully. “So, are you going to add that gnome to the tree or not? It really does belong up there, you know.”

“Hmmm,” Molly began as she stared at the gnome in Fred’s hands, “I don’t think so. It just never seemed to have the presence the original one did. So, this thing,” Molly pulled the statue out of Fred’s hands as she spoke, “is out. Now what can we do about something for the top of the tree?” she asked innocently but there was a sparkle in her eyes.

“Well, I know I can’t do anything, but if you think you can…” Fred let his voice trail off.

“Young man, who do you think you got your brains from?” Molly asked imperiously. “I’ll have you know in my day…” She didn’t finish her sentence.

“In your day what?” asked Fred interested. “Are you telling me that Molly Prewett, my mum, was a trouble-maker?”

“No, well…not exactly,” Molly stammered. “But, you didn’t just come by your skill with pranks out of thin air. I may have carried out a few pranks in my days at Hogwarts,” she said quietly.

“Mum,” Fred said, “what did you do?” His voice held a tone of awe that Molly had never heard before.

“Oh, it doesn’t matter,” Molly said as she waved the question off. “So, what do you say we go outside and get something a bit more…appropriate for the top of the tree?” She smiled at her son. She didn’t know how it was possible, after all these years that her son, her baby was sitting here on the sofa with her. All she knew was she wasn’t going to question it or waste a moment of this precious gift.

Fred smiled and nodded. He stood and held a hand out to his mother. “Let’s go. We will see if you really are as talented as your sons.”

The night was cold and snow was gently falling. The freshly fallen snow sparkled in the light from the house. Molly approached one of the Flutterby bushes and stamped lightly on the ground. Within a moment, a gnome peeked his head out from his hole.

Molly quickly stunned the gnome and picked him up. “Now, my son, let’s go back inside and you will see just how talented your mother is.”

Back in the kitchen, Molly placed the stunned gnome on the table. She drew her wand out and waved it over the gnome. Instantly the gnome turned gold, but after a few moments, he changed into silver, then red, green, blue and back to gold.

Molly smiled at her son. “Now, for some Christmas clothes,” she said as she again moved her wand over the gnome. Within seconds, the gnome was sporting wings, a frilly, lace dress and a halo over his head.

“Impressive,” Fred said. “I am definitely impressed and shocked. Who knew my mum was capable of such interesting magic?”

“Shall we put him on the tree?” Molly asked. She wondered why she had never thought to show her sons where they got their talent for pranks from. That thought was quickly followed by the realisation she didn’t want to encourage them growing up.

With the gnome in place on top of the tree, they stood with their arms around each other looking at the tree. Molly looked up at her son. “You have to leave, don’t you?” she asked softly.

“Yes, Mum. I…well…I wasn’t really given permission to come here,” Fred said sheepishly. “But, remember, I am always here…” He placed a hand over his mother’s heart. “So, don’t be sad, okay? You may not realise it, but you are the centre of this family.”

Molly sighed. “It is just so hard sometimes. I am happy, but without you…” Molly’s eyes filled with tears.

“Mum, I am happy and you should be too. You have your grandchildren now. They need you.” Fred stepped away and walked towards the shadows of the sitting room. “Mum, do me a favour…”

“Anything, Freddie, anything,” Molly said looking towards her son.

“Pull a couple pranks, for me. You are pretty good at it.” Fred’s laughter rang out at the shocked look on his mother’s face. "Happy Christmas, Mum."

As his voice faded, Molly looked back at the tree. She smiled and went up to bed knowing it was going to be a long day tomorrow.

*****

Christmas morning dawned with bright sunshine glittering off the snow that fell overnight. Molly was up as the sun rose and wasn’t surprised when an hour after dawn, the entire kitchen was packed with her children and grandchildren. She had forbade any of them to go into the sitting room until everyone was here.

“Mum,” whined Ron, “why can’t we go in the sitting room? Come on, everyone is here now, even Teddy.”

“Ron, you sound like you are two years old,” said Ginny. “Mum must have a reason for making us wait.”

Molly smiled and went over to the doorway leading into the sitting room. She looked quickly to make sure everything was as it should be, and then said, “Okay, let’s go.”

At once, every member of her family converged on the sitting room. As they entered and spotted the gnome, there were gasps of surprise from everyone.

“Mum? How? Who?” George stammered.

“I had a visit from…a Christmas elf last night. Funny, he seemed to think I wasn’t capable of putting the perfect topper on the tree. Guess I proved him wrong,” Molly said and then she laughed.

Molly watched as her children and grandchildren opened the gifts that were under the tree. She smiled and looked at the gnome. She vowed that every Christmas from now on, there would be a stunned garden gnome gracing the Christmas tree.
Chapter Endnotes: Thank you again to my loyal readers. Thank you for all of your reviews. I have read each and every one and appreciate all of them.