Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Beyond Forever by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I wish to thank my wonderful beta, Maple_and_PheonixFeather. She worked her magic and found all the little things that I missed in this chapter.

To all my fans of this story, I am so sorry for the very long wait for an update. But my muse is back and working hard on this now. :)

I am not J.K. Rowling. Anything you recognise belongs to her. I am only thankful to be able to play in her world for a little while.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




The fact that everyone fell silent as Abby entered the room and walked to her desk gave Abby her first clue that something was wrong. Shaking off the sensation, Abby sat and looked down at her desk. Normally, if she missed a few days of work, there would be files piled high for her to go over. Today, the lack of them rekindled the sense of unease down her spine. The only thing on her desk was a piece of parchment. Picking it up, she carefully broke the seal and read the note:

Abby,

Please come to my office when you come in.

Tiberius Ogden
Minister for Magic


Abby knew without any doubt that this didn’t bode well. This simple command was not to give her some new assignment. She knew her work for the Order had been discovered or was, at the very least, suspected. Sighing, she stood and walked to the Minister’s office and knocked on his door. At receiving the command to enter, she braced herself for whatever was to come.

*****

Twenty minutes later, Abby was standing outside the door of the office of Albus Dumbledore, having just knocked. Hearing his voice bidding her to enter, she opened the door and walked into the room. The anger that she felt as she left the Ministry was still flowing freely through her veins but she kept a tight rein on it, as this was neither the place for it nor the man who deserved it.

–Abigail, please sit,” Albus said as he indicated the seat in front of his desk.

As she walked forward, she noticed that on his desk there were already a teapot and teacups waiting. Forcing a smile, she sat before she spoke. –It looks like you were expecting me.” She didn’t even wonder how Albus knew she had been fired from her job.

–Yes, I knew you would come here first when you left the Ministry,” Albus replied as he stood and poured the tea. –I am sure you would rather something stronger but alas, I believe tea is best for what ails you right now.” Smiling, he picked up his cup and sat back down. –So, I would imagine the reasons for your termination of employment from the Ministry were, shall we say—”

–Bullshit,” Abby cut him off. –Sorry, but they were. He gave me some excuse about cutting down on secretarial staff to be able to hire more Aurors to fight against Voldemort.”

Dumbledore nodded. –Well, I wondered how he would justify it. Do you know if anyone else in your department has been let go?”

Abby shook her head. –I honestly don’t know, but I didn’t see anyone missing this morning when I got there. Somehow, I think it was just me.” Abby turned her head to look out the window. She could feel the tears welling up in her eyes. She blinked her eyes rapidly, willing them back.

–Abigail, we always knew it was only a matter of time until your job with the Ministry would end. Frankly, I am quite surprised it has lasted this long. You have done so much to help the Order while you were there. Now, it is time for you to move on and there is even more you can do now.”

Abby turned back to see a smiling Albus. –What do you mean?” she asked, confused.

–First of all, Remus came to see me last night. I had planned on going to see Sirius and you this evening along with James and Lily to tell them of this, but now I can tell you. He has heard a rumour, mind you, it is just a rumour, but it seems to have some substance to it.”

–Regulus,” Abby whispered.

–Yes,” Albus said. –It isn’t good news; however, it is a lead as to some of the things Regulus was doing in the last weeks he was seen before his disappearance.”

Abby sat and listened to the story Albus told her. She sat so quietly, never interrupting even though she had dozens of questions running through her head. When he finished his story, she sat stunned and didn’t even know where to begin. She knew that Sirius would want to immediately go and check everything out and she had the same reaction. But to rush out without a plan, that was a very bad idea.

–I think we need to have a meeting, all of us. Sirius, James, Peter, Remus and Lily and have you tell them just what you told me. If James isn’t there, there will be no controlling Sirius. He will just rush out and that will mean trouble. If the story comes directly from Remus... I don’t know, there’s something going on lately with Sirius and Remus, it’s...well lately it’s as if Sirius doesn’t seem to always trust what Remus says or does. I just can’t figure it out.”

–Yes, I have noticed a tension there, too,” Albus said. –It comes and goes, and it worries me but right now, Sirius is dealing with so much with Regulus and his father just dying. Let’s deal with Regulus, and then we can deal with the boys’ squabbles. Godric knows, they have been having them for years and they have always passed.” Albus smiled and stood. –Now, I suggest that you go home to your man and I will send an owl out for everyone to gather at James and Lily’s tonight. How about we say at about eight?”

–That sounds fine. We’ll see you there,” Abby said as she stood. As she moved from the desk, she was surprised when Albus drew her into a hug.

–Remember, losing your job at the Ministry is a good thing,” he said to her gently. –It means you are now a full time member of the Order of the Phoenix.” Chuckling, he let her go.

Smiling, she turned and walked to the door, opening it, she turned back. –Oh, Sirius is going to love my new job!” As she shut the door behind her, she could hear Albus laughing.

*****

She Apparated into her sitting room and was surprised that Sirius was nowhere to be seen. She could smell something cooking and called out for him. She saw him coming in from the kitchen and smiled.

–You’re home early,” he said, an edge in his voice.

–Yeah, problem with that?” she asked suspiciously.

–No, not at all. Umm, why don’t you go and take a shower and change into something more comfortable while I finish making dinner. It’s not quite ready yet,” he said quickly as he glanced back at the kitchen.

–Sirius, what’s going on? First of all, since when do you cook? And why are you acting so nervous?”

–Look, just because I wanted to make you dinner means something is going on? Listen, I just need a bit more time before it is ready. You’re home early, so go and take a shower and by the time you’re done, it should be ready.”


–I say there is something besides dinner going on. Hell, you didn’t even kiss me and you keep looking back towards the kitchen. Who’s in there, huh?” Abby asked as she strode forward trying to push past him.

Sirius grabbed her quickly and bent his head to kiss her, but she was too quick for him and wriggled out of his arms. She rushed into the kitchen and stopped short to see Lily standing at the stove smiling.

–Hi, Abby,” Lily said pleasantly.

Abby didn’t answer. She just turned and marched back into the sitting room. –You have Lily cooking our dinner?”

Sirius stood just where she had left, a sheepish look on his face. Abby could hear a soft chuckling coming from the kitchen. This only fuelled the pent-up anger that had been building in her since she walked out of the Minister’s office. She knew it was unfair to unleash it on Sirius, but at this moment, there was very little she could do to stop herself.

–Abby, I can explain,” Sirius began, –if you’ll just—”

–I don’t want to hear your explanations, Sirius Black. Isn’t it enough that when we all descend on Lily and James she has to feed us? But you now have her come over here and have her cook, too? I know there are some things you can cook, you pretend you can’t you can’t cook, but guess what; Lily clued me in to the fact that you can. You could have gone out and picked up something. But no, you made Lily come over and cook.” Abby stopped for a second to take a breath.

–Abby, I didn’t make Lily come over here. I just mentioned to her this morning that I wanted to make you a special dinner and she volunteered,” Sirius said.

–Oh, so that makes it all better,” Abby snapped. –You know what, forget it. I’ve had a hell of a day. I’m going to take a shower because honestly, it isn’t even you I am really mad at.” At Sirius’ shocked look, Abby chuckled. Turning, she headed towards her bedroom, and then she stopped and looked back at him. –Oh by the way,” she said as she entered the bedroom and was closing the door, –I’m now a fulltime member of the Order of the Phoenix.” Shutting and locking the bedroom door, she thought, There, let him stew on that for a bit.

***

An hour later, Abby came out of her bedroom and walked into the kitchen. The room was alight by candles on the table and Sirius was just pouring wine into the glasses sitting at each of their places. Going up behind him, Abby wrapped her arms around him and whispered in his ear, –I’m sorry.”

Setting the wine bottle down, Sirius turned and drew her into his arms. –Rough day, sweetheart?” he asked quietly.

Nodding, Abby felt the tears begin to flow. Sirius scooped her up into his arms, carried her to the couch in the sitting room, and held her while she cried. He didn’t speak but just let her cry.

–I’m sorry,” Abby said. –I honestly told myself I wasn’t going to do that and spoil everything you did.”

–What happened, honey?”

–I...I...dammit, the Minister has decided that my position is no longer needed at the Ministry due to, and I quote, ‘budget cuts’.”

Sirius cursed fluently, which made Abby smile.

–So, as a result, Albus said that it was a good thing because now I am a fulltime member of the Order of the Phoenix.”

Sirius cursed even more fluently, which made Abby not only smile but start laughing.

–Don’t even start with your objections,” she said. –We have a meeting with him at James and Lily’s tonight at eight. A meeting which I think will make you very happy with my new job. No, I’m not going to tell you what it is about because, honestly, I am quite hungry and we are on a limited amount of time here if we are going to get to that meeting on time.” Standing, Abby reached down for Sirius’ hand and noticed he seemed distracted. There was something in his eyes, like he was trying to decide something, but he shook his head and the moment passed. Taking her hand, they went into the kitchen for dinner.

*****

It was a little bit after seven when Sirius landed his motorbike in the back garden of James house. Climbing off the bike, he held his hand out for Abby and, still holding hands, they made their way to the backdoor which was opened immediately by Lily.

–Abby, it really was my idea to come over and cook dinner for the both of you,” she said before Abby could even say hello.

–Lily, it’s okay,” Abby said smiling as she drew her best friend into a hug. –I was just upset and well, let’s face it, I’m not known for waiting for explanations before I just lose my temper.”

–So, does anyone know what this meeting is all about?” Lily asked. –Albus only said we were all to meet here and he would explain when he got here.”

Sirius looked at Abby as they went into the kitchen and joined James at the table. No one else was there yet. –Abby knows but she won’t tell me anything. Believe me; I’ve tried everything to get her to give me some hint. The only thing she will say is that I will be glad she is now a full time member of the Order.”


–Wait. What? When did this happen?” James asked.

–Today, right after I got fired from the Ministry. The reason I was given was budget cuts in my area so they could hire more Aurors,” Abby answered disgustedly.

–Oh, Abby, I’m so sorry,” Lily said as she rushed over to wrap her arms around her. –I know what your job there meant to you.”

Abby smiled. –I hated that job. The only good thing was that I could gather information for the Order and now I can’t. That’s what bothers me.”

–Well, don’t worry about that,” James said. –There are plenty of other uses for your talents.”

This statement earned him a glare from Sirius. It may have turned into an argument if not for the knock on the back door and the entrance of Peter and Remus.

As they sat and talked about what Albus could possibly be coming over to tell them, Sirius noticed that Abby was not the only one not saying anything, Remus also stayed quiet during the discussion. Before he could comment on it or question him, they heard the knock on the front door. Standing, he said he would go and get it, knowing it would be Albus. He had several things he wanted to say to him before the meeting began, starting with making Abby a fulltime member of the Order.

Opening the door, he greeted his old Headmaster with as much respect as he could considering he was furious with him at the moment. –Albus, come in. Everyone is in the kitchen, but I would like a moment first.” There, that sounded respectful, didn’t it? he thought.

–I thought you might,” Albus said knowingly. –Let me guess, you are quite upset right now over Abigail’s new position with the Order.”

Sirius nodded.

–First of all, Abigail has been a member of the Order for many years now. Though her position has been, until recently, unknown to everyone except myself. In that position, she has performed many dangerous jobs and taken many risks that, had she been discovered, would have cost her her life. While she may see this as a new position, that being a fulltime member of the Order, she has always been such. The only thing that has changed is that she unfortunately is no longer able to work undercover in the Ministry for us. However, in hindsight, that position put her in more dangerous situations than most of the members ever have been in.” Albus looked at Sirius over his half-moon glasses waiting for more objections.

–I don’t want her going out on dangerous missions,” Sirius said.

Placing his hand on Sirius’ shoulder, he said quietly, –Son, unfortunately, that decision is not for either of us to decide. If you have not noticed by now, Abigail has a mind of her own and when it comes to deciding something like that, there is not a force in this world of ours that can change her mind.” With that, Albus smiled at Sirius and left him standing there alone in the sitting room to go into the kitchen.