Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Beyond Forever by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I wish to thank my wonderful beta and friend, Alyssa (harry4lif).

I do not own anything you recognise in this story. It all belongs to J. K. Rowling. I am thankful to get to play in her world for a little while.
Abby didn’t know what to say to Sirius. She could only imagine part of what he was feeling right now. She knew he hadn’t been close to his brother for many years, but Regulus was still his brother.

“Sirius, I’m sorry.”

Sirius looked up at Abby. At first, she could tell he was staring at her not really seeing her. But then, as she tipped her head slightly to the side, the kitchen light sparkled in her blue eyes.

“You have beautiful eyes,” Sirius said. She could tell he hadn’t meant to say it by the surprised look on his face.

“Thank you,” Abby said surprised. “Sirius, I know we weren’t close in school, so you probably don’t know this but…” Abby hesitated. What she was about to tell him only a few people knew.

“My parents died when I was only ten. I was raised by my brother, who at the time was seventeen. He was killed last year by-” Abby took a deep breath. Though she didn’t blame the Aurors, they were only doing what they had to do, it still hurt. “He was killed while trying to escape being arrested by Aurors. He was a Death Eater.”

She could tell he didn’t know what to say. She hoped she wasn’t wrong thinking he wouldn’t judge her by her family or what her brother may have done. His own brother was a Death Eater. She had told him because this might help him realise that he wasn’t as alone in what he was feeling right now as he thought.

“Abby,” he said softly. “I didn’t know that. Thank you for telling me. I just don’t know…”

“What you should be feeling right now?” she asked. “That is perfectly understandable. Even though my brother…well, I can only imagine the things he may have done, I still love him and miss him. I miss the boy who raised me, who took care of me when there was no one else.” Abby reached up and wiped the tears from her eyes before they could fall.

Before Sirius could comment, the door from the sitting room opened and James and Lily walked in along with Albus Dumbledore.

“Abigail, Sirius, I am glad you are both here,” Albus said. “We have much to discuss.” He strode over to the table and sat down next to Abby.

“Sir, I have news about Regulus. His mother came to see the Minister demanding he do something to find her son,” she said.

“Yes, I have heard that,” he answered. “Do you know what the Minister told her?”

“The Minister was sympathetic, but told her there wasn’t anything he could do.”

“Tiberius Ogden is a good man; he isn’t worried about offending an old wizarding family,” said James.

“I’m betting my mother wasn’t too happy when she left,” said Sirius, his eyebrows raised at the news the Minister had refused to help his mother.

“No, she wasn’t. I believe her words were something to the effect that she would see him lose his job,” Abby said.

“Tiberius is not in danger of losing his job,” said Albus. “From what Alastair told me last night, the two Death Eaters he brought in could give no clear evidence either way as to the fate of Regulus.” He looked at Sirius as he spoke. “I know the Aurors have had no part in his disappearance.”

“He is dead,” said Sirius, his voice emotionless. His fist clenched in anger. “Even though he is dead, I still would like to know what happened to him.”

Albus Dumbledore studied the look of determination on Siruis’ face. He knew that look, and knew Sirius would stop at nothing to find out what had really happened to Regulus.

“Pads,” began James, only to be cut off by Sirius.

“Don’t, Prongs. This is my brother we are talking about, not just some random Death Eater. I may not approve of what he became, but...” he said, his voice trailing off at the end.

“Abigail, is there anything else you have learned about this?” Albus asked.

“No,” she said, shaking her head. “No one is really too concerned about this disappearance. They all have the attitude of one less Death Eater is something to celebrate rather than worry about.”

Albus nodded. He knew this was the attitude at the Ministry. He also understood Sirius’ need to know, his need to find out the truth. He had an idea; the only issue was getting the two parties involved to agree.

“Sirius,” he began, “I think you do deserve to have an answer. If you will permit me, I have an idea.” He looked at Sirius for consent to continue. When Sirius nodded, looking interested, Albus knew at least he had one person who would agree with him.

“I believe you are the best one to perhaps unravel this mystery. It will not be easy and I am afraid to allow this plan to work, you will need help.”

“He has me, and I am sure Moony and Wormy will agree to help,” said James.

Albus shook his head. “No, the three of you are needed for other business. We cannot lessen our ranks by having the four of you away for any length of time.”

“He can’t go alone,” said James angrily.

“He won’t be. Abigail will be going with him,” Albus said and turned to Abby. He held a hand up to stop her immediate protest. “I feel with your position at the Ministry, you will be the only one who can get the information Sirius will need to begin his search.”

“Information?” Abby asked.

“Yes, you must go to Grimmauld Place and speak with Walburga and Orion Black. You will obtain from them any information as to what could possibly have happened to Regulus. Your position at the Ministry will be needed to gain entrance into their home.” Albus continued to look at Abby for agreement of his plan, and at her nod, he turned to Sirius.

“Can you think of anyone else who may have knowledge of your brother’s whereabouts in your family?” he asked.

“No one but Death Eaters,” Sirius said disgustedly. “While I don’t like the idea of her meeting with my parents, I will not allow her to put herself in danger by visiting any of my cousins.” He looked at Albus waiting for an argument.

“I completely agree. I, also, do not like the idea of her going alone to Grimmauld Place. However, we will do everything in our power to assure her safety. Her association with the Order is unknown; therefore her going on Ministry business will be safe enough.”

“We can watch the house, to determine when they are there alone,” said James.

“I still don’t like the idea of her going in alone,” said Sirius. “I know there was no other way to find out what my parents know. They will never consent to speak to me.” He looked at Albus.

Abby reached over and took Sirius’ hand in hers. “I don’t much like the idea myself. However, I think this plan will work.” She squeezed his hand gently. “You know I am the only one in the position to question your parents. I will be safe enough if I let them believe the Minister knows and approves of my being at their home.”

“Excellent,” Albus said smiling, his eyes twinkling. “I will arrange a meeting of the Order for tomorrow night and we can finalise plans.” He looked again at Sirius. “Everything will be done to keep her safe,” he assured him. “Now, I must take my leave. I will expect each of you at the Hogs Head at precisely eight tomorrow night.” He stood and nodded to them.

Lily also stood. “I will walk you out,” she said to him. They both turned and left the kitchen.

“Excuse me,” Abby said as she stood and rushed after them.

“Sir,” she called to Albus as he opened the door. He paused and turned to her. “Are you sure this is the best idea? If I do this, there is a very good chance my working for the Order will be exposed.”

Albus shut the door and sighed heavily. “Yes, that is a very real possibility. I understand if you are not willing to take that chance. If there was another way to get the information for Sirius…” he said.

“I understand,” she said. “Well, who needs a paying job anyway?” she said and laughed quietly. “I, of all people, understand what he is going through right now. There really isn’t any other choice I could make but to help him.”

Smiling, Albus nodded. “I will see both of you tomorrow night. Until then, please keep your men at home and safe.” With those parting words, he left the two women staring at the closed door.

“Lily,” said Abby after a few moments, “does he think Sirius is…That we are…”

Lily began laughing. “Yes, I believe he does.” She laughed harder at the look of disbelief on Abby’s face. “And if I know Sirius, it won’t be long before Albus’ statement is a matter of fact.”

Abby stared at her with a look that could only be described as horror on her face. “I don’t even know him,” she protested.

“Like that has ever mattered to him,” Lily said. “No, that isn’t fair to him. Honestly, Abby, Sirius is a wonderful man. He has grown up since his days of mischief at Hogwarts.” Seeing the look of disbelief on Abby’s face, Lily smiled. “Weren’t you the one who always told me to give James a chance? That he was more than just a Marauder?” She saw Abby nod reluctantly.

“Well, I’m telling you to give Sirius a chance. Forget all the stories about his carelessness with women. None of them were true. Well, most of them weren’t true. Sirius does not have a mean bone in his body. In fact,” Lily said dropping her voice to a mere whisper, “when it comes to a woman who he fancies, he becomes like putty in her hand.”

Lily looked at the clock. “Let’s go make our men something to eat. I am sure they are in there making plans of their own right now. They will need us to rein them in.”

Abby looked at Lily. She wasn’t sure how she felt about Sirius being referred to as her man. Part of her objected and objected strongly, but another part of her felt warmth and definite interest in the idea.

She turned and followed Lily into the kitchen, her mind debating on the wisdom of dating Sirius Black.
Chapter Endnotes: * Quote from Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, chapter four, The Keeper of the Keys, page 42, British Hardcover Edition.