Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Beyond Forever by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I wish to thank my beta, Alyssa,(harry4lif), for her wonderful and patient work on this story.

I do not own anything you recognise in this story. It all belongs (except Abby, she's mine) to J.K. Rowling. I am just thankful to play in her world for a little while.
At quarter to eight the next night, Sirius, James and Lily walked into the Hogs Head in Hogsmeade. Sirius scanned the crowd for Abby.

–She’s probably already upstairs, Pads,” James said, smiling.

–Who?” asked Sirius, trying his best to sound as if he had no idea to whom James was referring.

James looked at Lily, who was trying not to laugh, back to Sirius. –No one,” James said knowingly.

–Okay, so I am worried about Abby. I don’t see why she couldn’t just meet us at your house. She could have come with us. I don’t like the idea she was going to try to get more information from the Minister,” he said.

Lily reached over and patted Sirius’ arm. –I am worried about her, too. But, remember, she has been spying for the Order since she got her job. She is good at what she does.”

They walked through the nearly empty bar and up the back stairs to Aberforth’s private quarters. The meeting was set to be held there to try to keep Abby’s identity a secret.

As they entered the rooms, James saw Sirius visibly relax upon seeing Abby sitting with Albus. As he watched Sirius go over to them, he nudged Lily.

–I think old Pads is interested in Abby,” he said.

Lily looked at her friend’s smiling face. –I don’t think he is the only one interested,” Lily said, a worried look crossing her face.

–The others should be here soon,” Albus said to them. –I was just going over a few things with Abigail while we waited.”

–I assume you have a plan worked out?” asked Sirius as he sat down next to Abby.

–Yes, I do. Some of which has already taken place. However, I believe we will wait for the others before I discuss it. The others will also need to hear this information,” said Albus.

Sirius looked as if he was about to argue. To everyone’s surprise, he kept silent. Within ten minutes the small room had become quite crowded. First to arrive after James, Lily and Sirus was Alastor Moody, followed by Remus and Peter. Shortly afterwards, Benjy Fenwick and Caradoc Dearborn came in.

–I believe everyone is here now,” said Albus standing. He looked at Benjy and Caradoc as he said, –I am to assume Gideon and Fabian are now on the assignment?” At their nod, he smiled.

–There is nothing to report,” said Caradoc. –We watched all day and other than your owl coming and going, nothing.”

‘Good, good,” said Albus smiling. –I believe I have worked out a reasonably safe plan for Abigail.”

–Reasonably?” questioned Sirius.

–Yes...reasonably. As most of you are aware, Grimmauld Place has many charms and protections on it. It would not be possible for someone to show up there uninvited.” Albus waited for the murmurs to die down.

–I sent an owl this morning to the Blacks, requesting a meeting tomorrow for Abigail. I used the pretence of her gathering more information about Regulus for the Minister. In the note, I implied with more information, perhaps a search could be done.” He looked at Sirius expecting him to interrupt.

–I intercepted the owl and the meeting is set for noon tomorrow at Grimmauld Place. Caradoc and Benjy have been watching the house since this morning and now Gideon and Fabian are there.”

–They can’t possibly be watching the house, they can’t see it,” said Sirius angrily.

–No, no, they can’t. However, they are watching where the house should be,” replied Albus.

–What good it that? You know as well as I do someone can enter the house without ever being seen from the street. We have no idea what Abby could be walking into.” Sirius stood and began pacing around the room.

‘Sirius-”

–No, Abby. Don’t even say it. This is too dangerous. I can’t let you do this, not for me,” he said.

–Pads,” James said, grabbing Sirius’ arm as he walked passed, –we all can see it. We can go and watch the house.”

–Peter and I will leave right now,” said Remus. –We will stay until you and Prongs come in the morning.” He stood and went over to Sirius. Reaching out, he patted him on the shoulder. –See you in the morning,” he said as he turned towards the door, Peter following behind him.

–Wait,” called Sirius. –We don’t know if he has added any other charms since I left. It is possible you can’t see it now.”

–There is a test,” said Albus. –Give Remus the address. If it has been protected by a new Fidelius Charm, then you won’t be able to tell him. Though you are not the original Secret Keeper, Remus already knows the secret. If a new charm is in place, you would be bound by it now thereby not allowing you to divulge the address.”

Sirius smiled. –The address is number twelve, Grimmauld Place, London.”

–Guess we will still be able to see it,” said Remus. With a quick wave, he and Peter left.

–Now that that little bit of business has taken care of itself, let us continue,’ Albus said as he looked at Sirius pointedly. –Abby is to meet Orion in front of the house tomorrow. Once she is inside, it will be imperative to keep a closer watch on the house.”

–Caradoc and I will be there,” Benjy said.

–James and I will be there,” said Sirius. –I wish there was a way…”

–No, Pads, you can’t. It would jeopardise everything,” said James, quickly guessing his friend’s thoughts.

–You don’t know what my mother is capable of, you don’t understand. Even it just being my parents there, she will still be in danger.”

–It has to be just her, you know that,” James said.

–No, I can’t allow it, I won’t allow it. Not for me, there has to be another way. They can’t possibly have any information we need anyway,” said Sirius.

Abby had heard enough. Standing quickly, she looked down at Sirius. She took a deep breathe to try to calm herself.

–Abby-” Lily’s voice was laced with concern and worry.

Abby held her hand up to Lily to stop her. She knew what could happen if she let her temper loose, but she knew she had to put a stop to Sirius and his attempt to protect her.

–You can’t allow? You won’t allow? Who in the bloody hell do you think you are, Sirius Black, to decide for me what I do? I’ll have you know, I have been working on the inside for the Order without you ever even knowing since graduation-”

–The Ministry isn’t Grimmauld Place,” Sirius said, cutting her off.

–Oh, and spying and slipping inside information without anyone knowing has been a piece of cake?” she asked. –Hanging around at the ends of dark corridors, listening as Aurors bring Death Eaters in, listening at the door to closed meetings the Minister has,” Abby said.

Taking a deep breath, she continued, –For the record, I don’t give a Godric’s damn what you think about me doing this. We need any information, no matter how slight the chance of it helping is. I am doing this, with or without your approval.”

–I don’t want you to do this. They won’t help anyway,” Sirus said.

–Didn’t I just say, I don’t care what you want?” She pulled her wand out of her pocket in a move that was so quick, no one had the chance to react. – Silencio!” she shouted.

–Now, if you wouldn’t mind, please listen while I repeat, again, I DO NOT care what you want. I don’t think this is a waste of time, and I am going to go and talk to your parents. If you object so strongly, then stay at home and perhaps… just perhaps, someone will fill you in on what I find out.” Abby turned and walked to the door.

Stopping with her hand on the knob, she looked back at the assembled company. –I apologise that you had to see my temper. Albus, I will speak with you tomorrow after I leave Grimmauld Place. I will let you explain the rest of the plan. I am going to leave now before I do something else.”

Silence reigned for several moments after the door closed behind Abby. It was broken by Alastair Moody chuckling in the corner of the room.

–That girl would make a good Auror,” he said.

–Wow,” James said.

–You don’t know the half of it,” said Lily. –I have seen her temper in action and I am shocked she was able to control herself so quickly.”

–You’ve seen her worse than that?” asked James, shock clearly written on his face.

–Oh, yes-” Lily was interrupted by the sound of someone stamping their foot.

All eyes turned towards Sirius. Albus pulled his wand out restored his voice. Sirius immediately started towards the door. Lily, realising his intent, jumped up and stood in front of him.

–No, don’t. Let her calm down. I don’t think it is a good idea right now for you to go anywhere near her,” she told him.

Sirius looked down at Lily. He reached out and lifted her off her feet and set her aside. –She hexed me and I will not stand aside and let that go,” he said.

–She could have done a lot worse to you,” Lily said. –Trust me on this, let her be.”

Sirius bent down and kissed Lily on the cheek. –No, I don’t think I will,” he said. He walked to the door whistling. –Prongs, I’ll stop by later or if not, then I’ll be at your place early in the morning to relieve Moony and Wormtail.” He walked out the door and closed it gently behind himself.

–Well, that was an interesting turn of events,” said Albus, his eyes alight with mischief. –Shall we carry on, then?”

*****

Sirius realised by the time he got outside, he had no idea where Abby lived. And the only three people he could ask were upstairs right now, probably having a good laugh at his expense.

He knew he should not even be considering finding her, at least not until he calmed down. The smart thing to do would be to go home and forget all about Abigail Sampson. He began walking down the street trying to think of who he could ask about where Abby lived. He never claimed to be a smart man when his temper was up.

It was either a stroke of luck or fate intervening when he spotted Mary MacDonald walking into the Three Broomsticks. Smiling, Sirius hurried after her.

No, he thought, I have no common sense when I am angry.

*****

Abby stormed around her apartment muttering to herself. She had been home for half an hour and was no calmer than when she Apparated into her apartment. She was even madder at herself for losing her temper than she was at the arrogance of Sirius.

Hearing a knock on her front door, Abby went to answer it, hoping it wasn’t Lily. She wasn’t in the mood to listen to her friend defend the obnoxious git. Opening the door, she took one look at the man standing there and slammed the door in his face.

The door immediately opened and Sirius pushed his way into her apartment. Her temper, which still wasn’t under control, raged through her like wildfire. She drew her wand but Sirius was faster. He pulled the wand from her hand before she could even raise it.

–I think not,” he said calmly. –You got me once, it won’t happen again.”

–We’ll just see about that,” she said as she lunged for her wand.

Sirius reacted instantly. He grabbed her around the waist and tossing her over his shoulder, carried her into the sitting room and dropped her unceremoniously onto the sofa.

–Stay and don’t say a word,” he told her gruffly. –I’m not quite in control of my temper yet, and trust me, mine is worse than yours.”

Abby sat silently glaring at him as he paced around her small sitting room. Her mind catalogued every move he made, waiting for her chance to retrieve her wand.

–I know you think I was being an overbearing jerk. It’s just I know my parents. I don’t think it is necessary for you to put yourself in danger when I know you aren’t going to find anything useful out. If they knew anything, my mother would have told the Minister. She would do anything for Regulus.” Sirius looked at Abby as he continued to pace.

–It isn’t that I don’t think you are up to it, that you can’t handle yourself, but…” He let his voice trail off as he stopped in front of her.

–You think just because I am a woman, I can’t handle myself,” she said. She saw the truth of her words in his eyes even as he opened his mouth to deny it. Her temper once again exploded.

In a lightening quick move, she lunged at him, knocking him backwards and pulling her wand from his hand as he fell. She jumped to her feet and stood over him with her wand pointed at his face.

–My brother taught me how to defend myself,” she said. –He wanted me to never have to worry about anyone taking advantage of me. He taught me well.” Smiling smugly, she twirled her wand in her hand.

In a move that was just as fast as hers, Sirius had her flat on her back, under him, her wand once again in his hand.

–Never take your wand off your enemy,” he said. –It could very well be the last thing you ever do.” Sirus watched the emotions cross her face. He could see her anger turn towards herself for letting her guard down.

Chuckling at the distress he saw in her eyes, Sirius Black did something neither one of them expected… he bent his head down and kissed her.