Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Beyond Forever by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Once again, many thanks to Alyssa (harry4lif) for shining this up all nice and pretty for you.

I don't own anything you recognise. It is all J.K. Rowlings. I just invented Abby to give Sirius a run for his money.

As Abby opened her mouth, Lily spoke up quickly. “Sirius, sit down and eat. Abby, let it go. While you were justified in being angry, enough is enough.” She turned and grabbed another plate for Sirius and set it at the empty seat next to Abby.

Abby stiffened when Sirius sat next to her. She looked across the table at Peter. “So, Peter, can you talk about what you were doing for the Order?” she asked.

“Nothing special,” he answered. “I was just doing some scouting of possible locations that could be Death Eater hangouts.” At his words, all eyes turned towards him.

“Find anything probable?” James asked.

Peter hesitated a bit longer than Abby thought he should have before answering, “No, I couldn’t find anything.”

“Did you check out that flat on the western side of London we were told they were using?” Remus asked.

Peter nodded his head. “Yeah, nothing.”

“Really?” asked Remus. “Last time I was over that way, I saw Malfoy and Mulciber heading into that house.”

“I didn’t see anyone around. Maybe they moved somewhere else. Maybe they saw you and knew we were on to them,” Peter said.

Abby looked at Peter. She had the strangest feeling about what he was saying. It was as if he was trying to cover something up. She shook off the feeling. He wouldn’t lie about something like that. Not Peter, never Peter, she thought.

She looked around at the rest of the occupants of the table. Sirius was eating and not looking at anyone in particular. James and Lily seemed not to notice anything unusual about Peter’s statements.

Remus’ face, however, showed confusion and he seemed to be trying to work out if what Peter had said was possible.

Before anyone could say another word, there was a knock on the front door. As Lily stood to go and answer it, everyone began grabbing the remaining food on the platter. Shaking her head, she left the kitchen.

She pulled the door open to see Albus Dumbledore standing in front of her. “Albus, what a pleasant surprise,” she said as she stepped back to let him come inside.

“My dear, I hope I am not interrupting anything?” Albus asked.

“Hey! That is Lily’s food,” came Abby’s voice from the kitchen. “Do you want your baby going hungry?”

“She knows the rule; leave the table, lose your food,” James answered. “You want her bacon?”

“Sure, why not?” Abby replied laughingly.

“Peter, I wanted that toast,” Remus said. “Steal Sirius’. He never eats it anyway.”

“I do so,” Sirius countered. “Take Lily’s; James doesn’t need it.”

“Ah, it seems I have interrupted your breakfast,” Albus said. “Is there something you would like to share with me?” he asked, innocence in his voice, but Lily could see the twinkle in his eyes.

“I’m pregnant,” Lily said. “I just found out yesterday.” She saw the smile on Albus’ face, but it didn’t quite reach his eyes.

“OY! Abby, that hurt,” Sirius’ voice rang out.

“Touch my food again, Sirius Black, and I will do more than tap your hand with the fork. I’ll stab it all the way through,” she threatened.

“I see Abby and Sirius are still at each other’s throats,” Albus said chuckling.

“You should have been hear about an hour ago when they were really going at it. On second thought, it is probably better you missed it,” she said.

“They remind me of someone... Who could it be?” Albus asked. His smile and knowing look made Lily’s face flame red in embarrassment.

“Would you care to join us? I can make more food, I am sure by now there is nothing left,” she said.

“No, my dear, I have already eaten this morning. I actually came hoping to find Sirius here. I am glad everyone is here.” He looked down at Lily. She could see worry and something else she couldn’t identify in his eyes.

“I am afraid I have some bad news to share with Sirius-”

“Regulus?” she asked quietly.

“No, not Regulus. I am afraid I must inform him of his father’s passing,” Dumbledore replied. He reached out and grabbed Lily’s arm to steady her when she swayed. “Perhaps we should go into the kitchen and you should sit down,” he said as he turned and began leading her through the sitting room.

As they entered the kitchen, all heads turned towards them, and Lily saw five pairs of guilty ridden eyes look at her before focusing on Albus.

“Albus, what brings you here?” asked James.

Albus didn’t answer immediately, as he led Lily to the empty chair next to James and patted her arm as she sat down. He turned and looked at each of them before focusing on Sirius.

“I am afraid I have some distressing news,” he began. “Sirius, I received and owl this morning informing me of your father’s passing.”

There was silence around the table as everyone looked at Sirius. Abby reached out and laid her hand on his shoulder before quietly saying, “I am so sorry.”

There were words of condolence from all around the table, but Sirius sat unmoving, staring down at the table. When he finally looked up, Abby was shocked by the look on his face. There was grief, but something Abby thought looked like excitement.

When he spoke, his voice was gruff. “I don’t have much time, I need to...”

“You need to what?” asked Abby. She had an idea where this was going, and she wasn’t happy about it.

“I need to get to Grimmauld Place. If Regulus is alive, he will be there,” he said as he stood.

“Padfoot, wait,” said James. “Let’s think about this for a minute. Sit back down.” When Sirius didn’t move, James shook his head. “Padfoot, sit!” he ordered firmly.

Sirius growled, but sat back down. Abby wasn’t surprised. When they were in school, there had been occasions when Sirius would decide to do something and only James’ quick command could stop him. It was almost as if his Animagus form had control over him and the order to sit broke through whatever he was doing.

“Now, Albus, what do you think? Do you think Sirius should go to Grimmauld Place?” James asked.

“Yes. However, I don’t think he should go alone,” Albus looked around the table.

“I will go with him,” Abby answered quickly.

“No, my dear, that isn’t a good idea,” Albus said gently. “We need to keep your association with Sirius and the Order as much of a secret as we can for as long as we can.” He looked around the table. “I think it should be Peter who goes.” He held up a hand to forestall the objections.

“James, you are the most obvious to go, however, since Sirius ran away and straight to your house, you would not be the best choice. Remus, unfortunately, your affliction while not well known, is known by some. Lily-”

“I’m a Mudblood, not the best choice in a house of pure-bloods,” she replied.

Albus smiled. “True, but that was not my reasoning. You are basically one with James, and in addition, you cannot put yourself in any dangerous situation at this time. And I do believe this will be dangerous. No, Peter is the only logical choice.”

Abby could see Sirius was thinking over what Albus had said. She didn’t like the thought of him going there, but at least he wouldn’t be going alone. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, Sirius nodded.
“Now-” Whatever Albus was about to say was cut off by a tap on the kitchen window. Albus walked over and opened it. A plain brown barn owl flew in and held his leg out to Albus. Albus removed the note attached and the owl flew back out.

Albus unfolded the note. “Excellent,” he murmured. Turning back to the group sitting expectantly at the table, he said, “Abby, this is a note from the Minister. I sent him a note this morning suggesting a Ministry representative should attend. He doesn’t feel comfortable attending as he would not help Walburga when she came to him about Regulus. He decided he is going to ask you to attend in his place.”

Abby nodded. “When is the funeral?” she asked. She didn’t look at Sirius. She knew he was going to object to her being there. She didn’t want to argue with him, not now.

“The funeral is set for the morning. I would suggest you go home and reply to the owl I am sure the Minister has sent you. He does state that you are on vacation and he hopes to be able to reach you.”

Abby stood. “I will go and send my answer back. As soon as that is done, I will come back here. I know there are plans to be made.” She leaned down and tipped Sirius’ face up towards her. “I will be back soon,” she whispered to him as she placed a quick kiss on his lips. Sirius merely nodded. This close to him, she could plainly see the pain in his eyes and knew he was trying to hide it.

No one spoke until after Abby had left. Lily stood and began cleaning up the kitchen. Albus sat in Abby’s vacated seat. Still no one spoke. It was as if everyone was waiting for something, but no one knew what.

“Someone needs to watch the house,” said Sirius quietly. “Though I doubt Regulus will show up even if he is still alive...”

“I have sent Caradoc Dearborn and Frank Longbottom over already. I also have news concerning Frank and Alice,” he said mysteriously.

Lily turned quickly from the sink. “Is Alice all right?” she asked.

“Yes, yes,” replied Albus. “In fact, she is as well as you are.”

It took only seconds for Lily to understand. “Oh, that is wonderful,” she exclaimed. “I must send her an owl.” Seeing the confused looks on the men’s faces, she laughed. “Alice is also pregnant,” she explained. As the understanding crossed each face, Lily turned to Dumbledore.

“Will you stay for a bit?” she asked.

“Yes, I think we have many plans to make. This could be a wonderful opportunity to gather some information,” he answered.

“My father’s funeral is an opportunity to gather information?” asked Sirius angrily. “How wonderful he could accommodate the Order by dying.”

Everyone froze and looked at Sirius, identical looks of shock on their faces. Lily paused on her way out of the kitchen.

“You know what?” he asked, but didn’t wait for an answer before rushing on, “I think I will just leave you to make all your plans for spying. I’ll be back later and you can let me know what I am supposed to be doing when I should be mourning my father.” Sirius stood and stormed out the back door.

“What in the bloody hell was that all about?” asked James.

“I don’t know,” answered Lily. “Which of you is going to go and bring him back before he does something stupid?”

Remus stood. “I’ll go. I think it is really me he is upset with; might as well give him a shot at me.”

“No, Remus, I don’t think that is a good idea,” said Lily. “He may hurt you and then he would regret it.”

Remus smiled ruefully. “He can try.” Remus didn’t wait for any further objections. He left through the kitchen door, closing it softly behind him.