Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Beyond Forever by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I wish to thank my hard-working beta, Alyssa (harry4lif). Thank you for your hard work and reassurances when I doubt myself.

I am not J.K. Rowling. I do thank her for being able to play in this world she created.
Remus didn’t even know where to begin looking for Sirius. He hoped he hadn’t gone too far. Pulling out his wand, he murmured, Homenum revelio towards the woods. The spell revealed the presence of someone not too far into the trees. Walking quickly, Remus went after Sirius.

Remus spotted Sirius ahead of him standing looking at the spot where he and Abby had been a few hours ago. He began walking a bit less quiet as not to startle Sirius. Sirius whipped around, wand drawn upon hearing someone approach.

“Go back to the house, Remus. I’m not really in the mood to deal with you right now,” Sirius said as he turned his back on Remus.

“Too bad,” said Remus. “Want to tell me what that was all about?”

“Like you care,” replied Sirius. “Go back to the house; I’ll be back later.” Sirius started to walk away.

Remus quickly caught up with him and reaching grabbed his arm and swung Sirius around to face him. “Just say it...Say what is on your mind,” Remus said.

Sirius looked down at Remus’ hand still holding his arm. He reached up and slowly removed it. He then looked Remus straight in the eyes. “Don’t push me, Moony. Now is not the time.” Sirius began to turn away.

Remus once again grabbed his arm, only this time, Sirius turned and swung his fist out. He connected with Remus on his jaw. Remus stumbled back but didn’t fall. Shaking his head, he looked at his friend.

“I warned you to leave me alone, but you have to keep pushing me,” Sirius growled. “You really want to know what is bugging me?” he asked. “You! That is what is bugging me. How could you make a play for my girl?”

“Whoa, your girl? I am going to assume you mean Abby,” Remus said. Seeing Sirius nod, he continued, “Does she know she has made it to your list of girls?” Remus taunted. He knew he had to get Sirius angry enough to get him to admit his was more upset over his father’s death than he let on.

Sirius didn’t think, he just stepped forward and swung out his fist again, this time catching Remus in the chest. Remus once again stumbled back, but still didn’t raise his own fist to defend himself.

“I mean, she would probably like to know. She doesn’t seem to like you very much these days.” Remus looked pointedly around. “Wasn’t thinking much about you this morning,” he said thoughtfully.

“Are you telling me she was thinking only of you, werewolf?” Sirius said meanly. “Somehow, I don’t think you are her type.”

Remus was shocked at Sirius’ words. He knew Sirius often spoke and acted without thinking, but to say something like that... Remus took a page from Sirius’ book and said, “Well, her thoughts were more on me than on you. She is quite cuddly, isn’t she?”

Sirius growled and threw himself at Remus. Both started swinging and their fists found each other more often than they missed. Normally, Sirius would be hard pressed to hold his own against Remus, but the fact Remus was still recovering from the full moon, put them on more even ground.

Within a few minutes, both were bloody and covered in dirt from when their fight landed them on the ground. Neither was willing to call a halt, both just kept fighting. Remus had just landed a particularly hard punch to Sirius’ face when he felt himself being thrown backwards. As he was flying through the air, he saw Sirius also flying back.

He landed against a tree and didn’t have the strength to look for his wand. He just raised his head, knowing if a Death Eater stood there, he was dead. But instead of a Death Eater, he saw a very ticked off Lily.

“Just what in the name of Merlin do you two think you are doing?” she asked. “Best friends fighting like a bunch of hooligans. I am ashamed of both of you.” She turned on her heel and strode away.

Remus looked over at Sirius. Sirius smiled at him and then winced. “Somehow I don’t think Lily is going to heal our bruises,” Sirius said as he got gingerly to his feet. He walked over and extended a hand down to Remus.

“I’m sorry about the werewolf crack,” Sirius said. “I don’t know why I even said it.”

“It’s okay,” replied Remus. “I got in a few low blows myself.” Smiling, he threw an arm over Sirius’ shoulders as they began to walk slowly back to the cottage. “Think Lily will even let us in the house?”

“Godric, I hope so. You are a mess,” Sirius said laughing.

“Well, you don’t look so presentable yourself,” said Remus, looking Sirius up and down. “You best hope Abby isn’t back yet, or we will both be in trouble. Think about it, Lily and Abby...” He let his voice trail off and shuddered.

“Maybe we should Apparate to my place and clean up before we go back?” asked Sirius.

“Too late, mate,” said Remus and he nodded his head to the pathway in front of them.

Standing there was Abby with Lily right beside her. Neither witch looked happy.

“See what I mean? Idiots, both of them,” said Lily to Abby. Abby nodded solemnly. Turning she went back towards the cottage without saying a word. Lily smiled evilly and followed behind her.

Remus and Sirius looked at each other. “Should we...” began Remus.

“Don’t know, guess so,” replied Sirius. “Maybe James will save us?”

“Not likely,” answered Remus. “Shame we are so afraid of a couple little witches, isn’t it?”

Sirius nodded and began walking, albeit slower, towards the cottage. They entered through the kitchen door, carefully and slowly. Neither knew what was waiting for them inside. As they looked around the kitchen, they realised neither female was to be seen. They both let out sighs of relief before approaching the table.

“I wouldn’t relax just yet,” said James. “They have only gone to write a note to Alice. They won’t be long.” Seeing the twin looks of fear on his friends battered and bruised faces, James started laughing.

“Any chance one of you can help us out here?” asked Sirius. He looked at James, then Peter and finally Albus. Each shook their head in turn. “We are going to have to beg them to help us, aren’t we?”

“I doubt begging will help. They are both pretty ticked off right now,” said Peter. “If I were you, I would make a break for it, while you can.”

“If either of you so much as stands up, it will be the last time you stand for a long time,” came a voice from the doorway. Remus and Sirius each took a deep breath and prepared for the worst.

Lily was followed into the kitchen by Abby. Neither spoke or, for that matter, even looked at Sirius and Remus. Lily walked over to the sink and she pulled out two clean flannels and after wetting both of them, turned and tossed them to Remus and Sirius. Abby sat down at the far end of the table away from both of them.

“I would appreciate it if you wouldn’t get blood on my tablecloth,” she said. She went over and sat down on James’ lap as there wasn’t an empty seat for her. James wrapped his arms around her and whispered something in her ear.

“I am perfectly calm, James. Though if you side with those two, I won’t be for long.” She looked at him and smiled sweetly.

“Look, what happened out there was...” Sirius looked at Remus for help.

“What happened out there was my fault,” said Remus. “I was trying to help and I guess I pushed the wrong buttons.”

Sirius laughed, and then groaned. “Yeah, I’ll say you did. But, thanks anyway, for trying.” He rubbed his ribs where one of Remus’ punches had bruised a rib. “You know, you’re pretty strong for a bookworm,” he said jokingly.

“Well, you don’t exactly punch like a girl, either,” Remus replied. Both men began laughing and groaning at the same time.

“Oh, for Merlin’s sake,” muttered Abby as she stood. She walked over to them and drew her wand. Both men flinched back from her. She began waving her wand at each of them in turn and most of their aches eased. The blood pouring from their various cuts began to slow as she turned and went back to sit down.

Albus smiled, and said, “Well done, Abby. Now, if we could please continue?” He looked around the table. “What I meant, Sirius, was this is an opportunity for Abby to do what she does best, listen to conversations unobserved. Perhaps, she can get some information on your brother that will help you. I sincerely doubt you and Peter will be there long enough to uncover anything.”

“I don’t want Abby spying in a house full of both Death Eaters and Voldemort supporters,” said Sirius. He heard the growl come from Abby and knew he did it again. “Abby, it isn’t like I don’t know you can take care of yourself, but-”

“But what? Need I remind you, I was raised by a Death Eater? I think I know what they are capable of. Perhaps, you thought I was kept away from all of it? Well, I wasn’t. Not only was my brother a Death Eater, but... but...I was...” She stopped for a moment as if steeling herself to admit something horrible. “I was trained and recruited to be one, too! And believe me when I tell you, their training techniques make any of the battles you have been in look like child’s play.”

Abby didn’t look at the shocked faces around the table, so she didn’t see the look of understanding and compassion on Dumbledore’s face. She focused on Sirius. “From the time I got my first wand, I was taught things they never taught us at Hogwarts. I have been on the receiving as well as the giving end of two of the three Unforgivable Curses. I have even performed the killing curse on a few occasions. If I needed to defend myself or someone I loved, I wouldn’t hesitate to use it again. If not for my brother’s death, I would probably be a Death Eater by now.”

She looked around the table. When her gaze met Albus’, he smiled at her and winked. She realised her outburst wasn’t news to him as it was to everyone else. She felt better knowing he knew and hadn’t judged her.

“Now, any more objections to Abby doing a bit of spying for us?” asked Albus. His voice seemed to break everyone free of their trance. Lily stood and rushed to Abby’s side, leaning down, she wrapped her arms around her friend.

“Oh, Abby, I didn’t know. I hope you know I still love you, no matter what,” Lily said quietly.

Abby nodded at Lily and Lily went back to sit with James. It wasn’t Lily she wanted reassurance from. She looked at Sirius, but couldn’t figure out what he was thinking. As the talk around the table resumed with plans and ideas for the funeral, Abby sat and watched the silent Sirius. He didn’t look at her, and he didn’t join in the plans around the table.

“That’s how you knew how to heal our aches and stop our bleeding, isn’t it?” Sirius said finally. Though his voice was quiet, it stopped the conversation around the table.

Abby nodded. “I learned quickly how to do healing charms. I needed to be able to do something to continue to fight back, just because you are hurt, the training doesn’t stop.”

Sirius looked at Abby before standing. “Can I talk to you in the other room?” he asked. At her hesitant nod, he turned and walked out of the kitchen. Abby got slowly to her feet and followed him.